Romans 8

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your comment is that if a person walks after Christ, it is the result of the Spirit, not of the person themself.

We are told that none seek God, and that all hate Him naturally. No man chooses God when he hates Him. So yes, if a person chooses to follow Christ, it is because the Spirit has changed man's natural inclination to hate Him.

You must be born of the Spirit. This does not say we do not choose to receive God's salvation
That which is born of flesh [making a correct choice] is flesh. The flesh cannot please God.

These one says that this only applies to those who receive Jesus. Our rebirth is by God, but nothing here says we do not choose to receive.

They were not born of flesh ["Free will] but of God. They chose Him because He first chose them.

Man thinks evil in the days of Noah. Nothing here says . . . well, you know.

So, you are saying that a man with this mindset against God seems capable of choosing to follow Him? This is the mindset of those who follow Christ? I think not..

The Jew Jesus addressed do not fair well in Jesus' words, but nothing here says that we don't choose to receive Jesus.

Regardless of race, this message goes out to the unregenerate sinner, for Jesus said himself their father was not God. This verse is not about a specific race, but rather about unregenerate sinners regardless of race.

We were dead in sins, that's why we need new life! But nothing in this passage teaches us that we do not choose to receive Jesus.

A dead man can choose nothing. He is dead. That is the point of calling him dead. He cannot choose or respond to anything until He is given new life. New Birth comes with regeneration, as does saving faith.

So then you've given a passage from Romans 8, given a conclusion that I do not find supported in the verse, or in any of the verses you've listed for support.

Interestingly, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit," "walk" is an Active Voice verb, meaning that this is the one who is doing it. We walk after the Spirit, as opposed to, for instance, the Spirit "walking us" after the Spirit.

You have read the verses, and failed to see that the point is to show how far sinful man is fallen. Does the man described, left in his natural state, sound like the kind of person that would in and of himself choose God? When He hates Him, and is of His father the Devil, and is enslaved to sin, and every thought of his mind is only evil continually? This is the man that chooses Christ? I think not. Unless there is an act of the Spirit, this man will never choose God.

Yes, Christian's walk after the Spirit, because the Spirit has effected them. Unregenerate sinners do not. They are the ones described in the aforementioned verses. They are the haters of God, and they will never choose Him when left to themselves.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The more we memorize, or simply learn what it says, the more we return to the Bible in our thoughts, meditating on what we read, being transformed by it.

Like you say, I can probibly say most of it in pieces. Not sure I could recite the entire chapter. But what I can do is picture the pages in my mind, and mentally "look up" different parts.

I guess that's a start!

Much love!
Mark
It's such a wholesome habit to commit Scripture to memory; and by faith for it to reside in the heart. "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." (Psalm 119.11).

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regenerated and converted people have found God.

It's like saying, people at home try to get home.

Much love!

More like a blind person who's eyes are healed can finally see the light. Blind people can't see light, so they can't follow it.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
More like a blind person who's eyes are healed can finally see the light. Blind people can't see light, so they can't follow it.
"In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."
(John 1).

Reactions: Mjh29

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More perjorative instead of rebuttal.

Learn to spell pejorative champ! :)

You're stuck on being pejorative. Do you know what it means? It actually shows your behavior, not mine or others you're using it on.

Reactions: ScottA

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm reading through this thread . . . I am astounded!

Much love!
The thread is demonstrating what I hoped it would show. I also hope it will change people's hearts and minds to the truth.

Calvinism doesn't have real answers, just doctrines.

As with this thread they just name call and throw accusations while offering no scriptural of proof what they claim.

Parsing verses and taking them out of context is not proof.

They also want to do bait and switch to get the focus elsewhere.

Why? Because they can't deal with what Romans 8 says. It says foreknowledge of those who love God followed by predestination all the way to glorification. It does not say salvation first. Or predestination.

Calvinist nine free will yet we see free will throughout the Bible.

Romans 8 lays out the roadway to eternity with God in simple terms.

God wants all to be saved but not all will repent. Those that repent love God, which he foreknew before any human was born. In knowing that he predestined us all the way to salvation and guarantees us that nothing in all of creation can take us from.

Contrary to what some wish to claim, there is no exclusion or exception calls. We cannot take ourselves from the hand of God because we are part of their creation he speaks of.

An incredible thing I see is a claim there is there cannot foreknowledge but there can be predestination before we are born? What a contradiction.

The thread has value. I hope everyone can profit from it.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would that be the case?

Saying that salvation is available to all is not the same thing as saying that all will be saved. Does it mean that to you?

Much love!
It doesn't say salvation is available to all. Can you not see this?

What does it say? Go read it before you make silly unfounded statements.

If you're going to argue, please, know what you're talking about.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regenerated and converted people have found God.

It's like saying, people at home try to get home.
Nope, God found them. They were lost, not God.

It's like shooting ducks on a pond refuting you, a cake walk. Why is that?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't your view rather self-centered?

Out of all those He chose . . . and didn't choose . . . He chose ME!

BTW . . . are you SDA?

Much love!
mark
I have never said it that way, but have simply said that it is God's way to choose individuals to deliver His revelations. I would also add that, receiving the truth from God and sharing it, is also in perfect accord with His plans. But what I have said along those lines, was only after your rejection of His methods, and your apparent resentment for anyone acting in that accord.

No, I am not SDA.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read carefully 1 Corinthians 1:26-31. God chose, there is no room for boasting, all goes to God. Knowing God chose is humbling not arrogance.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Where is the part that says that God's choosing was not based on His knowing us ahead of time? that God foreknew us, and having foreknown us, that we would be those who would receive Jesus (John 1), and so predestined us to become like Jesus?

Nothing here supports the doctrine of unconditional election.

We speak of God's election of people, but the real point of disagreement is not whether He chooses, but by what criteria He chooses. These teaching unconditional election cite no reason for God to choose this one for heaven and that one for hell. These teaching the offer of the Gospel to all, that all may be saved if they choose cite as reason for God's election His foreknowledge of those who will choose Him. He knows what we'll do, so He prelimits our lives so that our circumstances will work towards the final product God desires for us.

This passage above does not address that point, and therefore does not answer to my objection that the doctrine of unconditional election panders to mankind's pride. After all, of all those God could have chosen but didn't, He chose ME.

In saying that God chose the foolish to confound the wise, it can also be understood in the same way as that Jesus came to call the sinners to repentance, not the righteous.

If you think you are so wise . . . why do you look to God? If you think you are so strong . . . why do you need a savior? But God lives with those who are meek, and humble, and who tremble at His word.

Those who understand that they are nothing without Him. Those who recognize that there was nothing special about me - God would have everyone to be with Him, though not by force of imposing His will over theirs in this regard.

Much love!
mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You haven’t grasped what Paul was speaking on Mars Hill. He is saying that God is everywhere. No place can they go where He is not there. The deepest, darkest cave, He is there. The highest mountain, He is there. The deepest ocean, He is there. Yet, they will not seek Him, even though He is everywhere.

I think the passage is rather straightforward:

"and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:"

God selected when and where we all would live, to provide for us the opportunity to look for God. And we don't have to look far, He is close to each of us. Every one of us.

Much love!
mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ undoes your theory, none are able to come to him unless granted by the Father; John 6:44; John 6:65.

That was until the cross. "If I be lifted up", Jesus said, "I will draw all unto myself". No more just those whom the Father drew to Him, but now all men.

Much Love!
Mark

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you never went through verse by verse and showed me where my interpretation was wrong.

you said "Oh, Calvinism." And moved on, and though that justifies what you are saying.

You asked one of us to go through verse by verse, and I did. But now it's your turn; Tell me where my interpretation is wrong, and explain the support verses and their 'true' meaning.

So, I take it that you are not going to answer?

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is the part that says that God's choosing was not based on His knowing us ahead of time?

Where does it say it was based upon this? Your argument is a logical fallacy. You're attempting to argue "Since it doesn't address ______ therefore I am correct."

That's rather foolish, to be honest. It is a severe mishandling of the word, 2 Timothy 2:15 not being heeded. This is the first point where you try to lead Scripture instead of allowing it to lead you.

The point of the passage is that it shows God chose, not man, and that the choice is not based upon anything in man. This is why I used the passage, to refute your error that you think man chose God and so God chose man. That makes salvation meritorious, not grace. Thus your gospel is false.

God chose, all glory goes to him. You've missed that point entirely, and not only that, instead of giving God the glory, you rush to give it to man. That is your entire unconscious objective: you.

that God foreknew us, and having foreknown us, that we would be those who would receive Jesus (John 1), and so predestined us to become like Jesus?

You're misusing John 1. Probably John 1:12. It says nothing of the sort, you're adding to scripture and pointing again to you, to man, not God.

Nothing here supports the doctrine of unconditional election.

The entire portion of Scripture absolutely proves unconditional election, that God chooses based on nothing in them, and is showing them that nothing good in them caused God to choose them. Now, since you're still arguing for man, show, in that text that God chose man because of something he did. If God chose based on something in man, that is not grace, which is unmerited favor. Your gospel is merited favor, not the gospel of grace, since you preach God chose you because of ___________ .

We speak of God's election of people, but the real point of disagreement is not whether He chooses, but by what criteria He chooses.

He chooses based on the purpose of his will and counsel. Read Ephesians 1, without reading your glorious ability to choose, and that for this reason God chose you, into the text. Again, all you are preaching in your errant gospel is that you merited being chosen which = conditional election. That you cannot see this is remarkable.

These teaching unconditional election cite no reason for God to choose this one for heaven and that one for hell.

Already showed you the answer to this. According to the purpose of his will. Not yours, John 1:13, but God's, James 1:18. YOu, to the contrary, teach it is because you did something, which is, again, merited favor. In other words you see yourself as a person who earned God's favor, yet you call our position which denies this, arrogant by assertion. That, my friend, is absurd, backwards, and baseless.

These teaching the offer of the Gospel to all, that all may be saved if they choose cite as reason for God's election His foreknowledge of those who will choose Him. He knows what we'll do, so He prelimits our lives so that our circumstances will work towards the final product God desires for us.

The above is incoherent drivel. Other than that, in your nonsensical scenario, you're almost Calvinist, but with a twisted Universalism. "He prelimits lives so our circumstances work toward the final product God desires for us?" LOL!!! Yet you preach about "robots" and being "forced" then you make THAT statement? Slow down, you don't even know what you're saying. You're out of control and talking out both sides of your mouth.

This passage above does not address that point,

The above shows perfectly that you don't let Scripture lead you, you try to lead Scripture. This is twice you've done this. This is all due to the fact you have man ahead of God.

and therefore does not answer to my objection that the doctrine of unconditional election panders to mankind's pride.

Says the guy who in full pride thinks: 1) God chose him because he did ________. Now that is arrogant and you are sinice you think this to be the case. (Just an observation of your character.) 2) That he chose himself into the kingdom by his own efforts; 3) Does whatever it takes to remove God getting all the glory.

Obviously, and in addition, you don't comprehend the text, those who are chosen are humbled, and glory in God. You, on the other hand, glory in yourself instead.

After all, of all those God could have chosen but didn't, He chose ME.

Or rather, instead of believing God did it, you brag about how YOU chose him. Of all those who didn't choose God, YOU did! How wonderful of you, and lowly, especially when Scripture denies we are saved via choosing.

Anyhow, congrats! Tell us more about how you did it in your next post, OK?

I mean, that is what we are getting at, the bottom line: You glorying in you, and your hatred for those who know God chose them based on nothing in them. And you attempt to call them braggarts, all the while you talk of yourself and how you chose God.

Talk about blind.

In saying that God chose the foolish to confound the wise, it can also be understood in the same way as that Jesus came to call the sinners to repentance, not the righteous.

Of course he came to call sinners to repentance, your point is non sequitur, as the balance of your response.

If you think you are so wise

Re-read the text. I think just the opposite.

It is apparent you're the one who thinks of himself as wise, since you chose God out of your own ability, which is contrary to the one true Gospel. Franky, your gospel is false, it is all about you, not God. It boasts in you, not in God.

. . . why do you look to God? If you think you are so strong . . . why do you need a savior? But God lives with those who are meek, and humble, and who tremble at His word.

Baseless and unfounded drivel

Those who understand that they are nothing without Him.

But this isn't you -- you were something without him, able to choose him, able to sway him therefore to choose you, that you were elected conditionally, and the condition is what you did. You're the opposite of the text at hand, you boast in you, not in God.

Those who recognize that there was nothing special about me -

False pretentious claim. You cannot claim this in conditional election. You are very confused, talking out both sides of your mouth.

God would have everyone to be with Him, though not by force of imposing His will over theirs in this regard.

More unbiblical banter. You're all over the place. You say this after telling us God limits things to direct us toward what he wants. You don't even know what you're saying, lol!

Reactions: SovereignGrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you not spell pejoratives?

Oops! Hopefully I will be able to going forward! That's one of the words I most commonly misspell. Thank you for the correction. Even if it was in a disparaging way.

Nothing to admit, I commented on his behavior and gave an observation.

As you wish.

But let's get past your ad hominem post here, you can not get past the most important thing: Scripture that refutes your errant false gospel of choosing your way into heaven. You hold great disdain due to God choosing whom he wills to salvation, and justly punishing those whom he wills to not show mercy. So, your problem is with the God of Scripture.

My point is that it's more productive in my mind to proceed Without ad hominems.

Tell me more about my emotional and mental state, as you know me so well.

Do you actually believe I have disdain for God?

And, it is duly noted, your pejorative posts and calling people out are only aimed at one group blindly looking past the reason why I addressed the person.

Please quote the disparaging remarks I made of others.

Much love!
Mark

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an excellent video, loaded with verses, definitions and theology. Each frame also has what was being said in printed text if you prefer that. So no excuses about videos.

It rejects both Calvinism and Arminianism. In fact it calls Calvinism Gnostic.

It supports what I call Secure Armenianism. The terms I have seen today are confusing.