ROMANS: DEAD TO SIN

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:11 KJV - Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We are to reckon it to be so that we are dead to sin through Christ.

Romans 6:13 KJV - Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

We decide not to yield to sin knowing we have been raised from the dead and are alive in Christ.

Romans 6:14 KJV - For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

By the law was the knowledge of sin, but not the power not to yield to sin.

Romans 6:17 KJV - But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

We are to obey what Paul has taught us by his doctrinal teachings and decide not to yield to sin, but be servants to God and righteousness.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:11 KJV - Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:13 KJV - Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

We decide not to yield to sin knowing we have been raised from the dead and are alive in Christ.

Romans 6:14 KJV - For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Romans 6:17 KJV - But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

We are to obey what Paul has taught us by his doctrinal teachings and decide not to yield to sin, but be servants to God and righteousness.
What does that mean

Kobo

Mar 11, 2021
Chicago
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, on the other hand, taught His followers that the only way to be free from sin is to accept(trust) and obey His commandments/teachings. By following His teachings/commandments, we are truly His followers and are set free from sin by our knowing of His Truth.

John 8
31 So Jesus said to the Jews who believed in him, “If you continue to accept and obey my teaching, you are really my followers.
32 You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
33 They answered, “We are Abraham’s descendants. And we have never been slaves. So why do you say that we will be free?”
34 Jesus said, “The truth is, everyone who sins is a slave—a slave to sin.
35 A slave does not stay with a family forever. But a son belongs to the family forever.
36 So if the Son makes you free, you are really free.
37 I know you are Abraham’s descendants. But you want to kill me, because you don’t want to accept my teaching.
38 I am telling you what my Father has shown me. But you do what your father has told you.”
39 They said, “Our father is Abraham.”
Jesus said, “If you were really Abraham’s descendants, you would do what Abraham did.
40 I am someone who has told you the truth I heard from God. But you are trying to kill me. Abraham did nothing like that.
41 So you are doing what your own father did.”
But they said, “We are not like children who never knew who their father was. God is our Father. He is the only Father we have.”
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were really your Father, you would love me. I came from God, and now I am here. I did not come by my own authority. God sent me.
43 You don’t understand the things I say, because you cannot accept my teaching.
44 Your father is the devil. You belong to him. You want to do what he wants. He was a murderer from the beginning. He was always against the truth. There is no truth in him. He is like the lies he tells. Yes, the devil is a liar. He is the father of lies.
45 “I am telling you the truth, and that’s why you don’t believe me.
46 Can any of you prove that I am guilty of sin? If I tell the truth, why don’t you believe me?
47 Whoever belongs to God accepts what he says. But you don’t accept what God says, because you don’t belong to God.”

Sin is disobedience, and in our case, Jesus Christ is the Law and His teachings(commandments), the details of the New Covenant we have with God through Jesus Christ. Those who love Him are those who accept(trust) and obey His commandments and it is to them that set free from sin, and are called Sons of God.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you love Jesus, you will keep his commandments.

John 14
[21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
[22] Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
[23] Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
[24] He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Now, if you say that you love Jesus, but continue to sin, you are lying to yourself and the truth is not in you.

1 John 2
[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Kobo

Mar 11, 2021
Chicago
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you love Jesus, you will keep his commandments.
Now, if you say that you love Jesus, but continue to sin, you are lying to yourself and the truth is not in you.

The Truth of God(Jesus Christ Himself) does not live inside of those who refuse to accept(trust) and obey His teachings/commandments indeed.
John 15
1. “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.
2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.
9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.
10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.​

Reactions: 07-07-07