Romantic Love In Eternity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Fallen angels=evil....Heavenly Angels=Holy

I gave my opinion to the OP and an explanation in post #102. It got a few likes so people obviously understood my reasoning

I've also gone through the thread and read every post now. People are discussing the possibility of sex in heaven. So why me?
Why have i been singled out here? I found some of your responses to my posts quite odd - "nice try" like im up to something nefarious.

The bible doesn't tell us they were fallen angels in Gen6, but for argument sake lets suppose that they were...
If fallen angels are capable of having sex then holy angels probably can as well.
Given that Jesus says we will be like the angels in heaven i think it's possible that romantic love does exist in heaven.

U may claim not to see any connection but there are people that understood and accepted the logic which i presented in #102.
Anywayz... watevz

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave my opinion to the OP and an explanation in post #102. It got a few likes so people obviously understood my reasoning

I've also gone through the thread and read every post now. People are discussing the possibility of sex in heaven. So why me?
Why have i been singled out here? I found some of your responses to my posts quite odd - "nice try" like im up to something nefarious.

The bible doesn't tell us they were fallen angels in Gen6, but for argument sake lets suppose that they were...
If fallen angels are capable of having sex then holy angels probably can as well.
Given that Jesus says we will be like the angels in heaven i think it's possible that romantic love does exist in heaven.

U may claim not to see any connection but there are people that understood and accepted the logic which i presented in #102.
Anywayz... watevz
It might be worth it to start a thread on the nephilim. I know I don't read every thread, I don't have time so I read the ones that interest me the most. There could be people who didn't participate in this thread (perhaps didn't read it even) but who would be interested in a thread about the nephilim. Who knows?

Genesis is rather vague on what was going on; but there are other sources that give more information. I can think of potential sources. There are problems with those other books to be sure, but I think they provide clues. I think even the pagan myths contain some elements of the truth. This thread is not the place to discuss pagan myths however. The Book of Enoch and the Book of Jasher are perhaps more reliable -- although I have reservations about the last chapters in the Book of Enoch. The earlier chapters are frequently quoted in the New Testament.

Why not start a thread and see what happens? It might be interesting.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It might be worth it to start a thread on the nephilim. I know I don't read every thread, I don't have time so I read the ones that interest me the most. There could be people who didn't participate in this thread (perhaps didn't read it even) but who would be interested in a thread about the nephilim. Who knows?

Genesis is rather vague on what was going on; but there are other sources that give more information. I can think of potential sources. There are problems with those other books to be sure, but I think they provide clues. I think even the pagan myths contain some elements of the truth. This thread is not the place to discuss pagan myths however. The Book of Enoch and the Book of Jasher are perhaps more reliable -- although I have reservations about the last chapters in the Book of Enoch. The earlier chapters are frequently quoted in the New Testament.

Why not start a thread and see what happens? It might be interesting.

LoL u must of read my mind because I have been thinking about the Nephilim recently and been considering opening a thread on them.
Was tossing up weather to just present the simple facts and let others build up the discussion or to present a theory I have along with the evidence ive come across that supports the claim that giants existed...
Want to look more into the other texts that mention the Neph as well first then i'll make a thread. Keep an eye out for it if your keen

Reactions: Helen and Giuliano

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
footnote: might just as well open. a thread on casper the friendly ghost !
He is more true to life than the nephilim as angels which was proven a fraud thousands of years ago,
yet used by the anti-christ system to deceive many.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a serious question: To what extent do you think romantic love will still exist in Heaven after the resurrection of the dead? By romantic, I do not mean sexually romantic. The scripture attests that there will apparently be no sexuality in eternity:

“Jesus answered and said unto them, 'Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.'” (Matt. 22:23–30.)

But I mean, surely there will be those we have the fondest feelings for, and we will at least be given back our youth. What of married couples who were very romantic with each other in this life and had a very deep and abiding love? Will they somehow have to suppress these feelings for each other in Heaven? If not, how will they be allowed to express such feelings? Will kissing still be allowed? Will affection on a level that would be considered only fitting for in private still take place?

I'm asking for opinions, but they would have to be based on reason. The scripture says nothing about this, other than the Song of Solomon discussing the romantic love the Lord will have for His church. But does that mean we will not be allowed to love each other the same way?

Blessings in Christ to any who respond.
- H

May sound crazy but considering your topic ...He is more than a lover.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May sound crazy but considering your topic ...He is more than a lover.
???
What do you see there in the lyrics/ song ?

The last line is (appears to be) :
"Yeah, I'm running out of places I can run
Looking for a place in the sun
Oh, won't you shine down on me sunshine?"

As if it is someone not abiding in Christ at all ?!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, Joseph. This is very involved study because you are dealing with multiple Greek words and cognates surrounding the word πάθος. Only a few could rightly be translated as affections or passions in the sense we are talking about, so I have eliminated those verses you cited where these are not used, and added one verse where the word could be.

I'll deal with them by category:
Galatians 5:24
And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Ephesians 2:3
among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.

The qualifier here is that the passions specifically of the flesh are being discussed, and by this he means the passions excited by the body, i.e. sexual passion. Even when the mind is referenced, it is in keeping with "carrying out the desires of the body and the mind." The earthly body plays no part in the type of affection I am taking about in Heaven.
Colossians 3:5
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

This one is again talking about bodily passions, as is evident from the company it keeps. Every one of these words in the Greek is talking about sexual (bodily) desire and lasciviousness, including the last one, which is sometimes inaccurately translated as "greed" but is referring to sexual covetous, something commanded against in the 10 commandments when God warned against coveting another man's wife.
1 Thessalonians 4:5
Every one of you should know how to posses his vessel in sanctification and honor, not in the passion of lust even as the Gentiles, which know not God

Romans 1:26
Because of this, God gave them up to dishonoring passions/affections...

Now, these two are hitting more closer to home, IMO. The first is a warning against adultery, the second against homosexuality. Both could refer more strictly to bodily passions in this context, but there is certainly a soulish component to it as well. After all the first is warning about what could happen to Christians, and in most cases with Christians it is not just a matter of sexual attraction. More often than not it will be something like a pastor and his secretary, who worked together well for years until they really started to draw closer to one another on an emotional level, and then one night something happened that they couldn't turn back from.

Now, all these verses speak of passion and affection in a negative light, but they are all in contexts where a sexual component is present. But there are cognates of πάθος where the word is used positively. συμπαθής is often translated "compassion" in English, which contains the word "passion" within in, and it is not simply a form of pity. It describes a feeling or great sympathy; almost a yearning for.

Paul, speaking of his chains and what he suffered for their sakes, told his readers:
Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used. For you had compassion (συμπαθής) of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. (Hebrews 10:33-34)

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling (συμπαθής) of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (Hebrews 4:14-15)

This second is talking about our Lord having compassion upon us, being touched with feelings over our struggles where sin is concerned.

1 Peter 3:7-8
Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. Finally, be ye all of one mind,
having affection for one another (συμπαθής), love as brethren, be piteous, be courteous.

This last passage again brings to mind that "loving as brethren" is more than just a handshake. The words "love as brethren" is followed with "be piteous" which means have compassion, deep compassion upon one another in our struggles, loving one another as we would our own family members, people who had cared for us and have known us our whole lives, and who had great loyalty to us and we to them.

This is precisely the sort of thing I was talking about that can bring about a greater affection for some than others, and that that affection is not simply going to disappear when we get to Heaven. Moreover the command from 1 Peter seems to be that we are to all have such a depth of love for one another, to greater or lessening degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: icxn

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 16:16
Greet one another with a holy kiss.

Well yes, Ma'am. If I understand your point, certainly any expressions of believers towards one another, whether here or in Heaven, must be holy. The question then becomes, to what extent or at what point does love become unholy. Certainly the flesh must be taken out of it. But I don't really see where godly love and affections become sinful.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to sex i thought to myself that there would probably be no need for procreation in Heaven.
Perhaps we won't have that innate desire to make love. I imagine this would be kind of awkward with your earth partner.

Nor possible, LoL.
Genesis 6:1-4
When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

This is an interesting passage in many ways. I've recently been thinking about the Nephilim.
But in here we have evidence that the sons of God had sex with the females on earth...

So my conclusion will start off as it typically does with most things, im not certain if we will have romantic love in heaven.
I think the probability of it is very high but with this passage above, say, 85%...

LoL. Well the passage is interesting in the discussion, but this passage is not intended to relate to us becoming as the angels. Though if one takes it that way, surely the angels of God have compassion on humans, including women. If not they would not exhibit the character of God. I mean what are they, impersonal robots? LoL. They are caring beings. No one could be in the Presence of Almighty God who wasn't. Angels praise God, and I'm sure some will think praise unto God could somehow be impersonal, but how would you feel if someone praised you for something with absolutely no feeling in it? I know how I'd react, and it would be with a finger down my throat to get rid of the sickness, LoL.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Though if one takes it that way, surely the angels of God have compassion on humans, including women. If not they would not exhibit the character of God. I mean what are they, impersonal robots? LoL.

As the commander of (angels?) said : I am neither FOR YOU, nor for the opponent,

I AM FOR THE LORD (of HOSTS).... He only serves His Lord , absolutely faithfully, regardless of any
(if present) emotions and/or feelings and/or affections .... as also the Ekklesia are commanded to.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MOVED

(copying and moving to another thread, God Willing) >>>
="Hidden In Him, ]
Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling (συμπαθής) of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (Hebrews 4:14-15)

This second is talking about our Lord having compassion upon us, being touched with feelings over our struggles where sin is concerned.[/QUOTE

QUOTE="Hidden In Him, ]For you had compassion (συμπαθής) of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. (Hebrews 10:33-34)[/QUOTE
----------------------------------

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nor possible, LoL.

LoL. Well the passage is interesting in the discussion, but this passage is not intended to relate to us becoming as the angels. Though if one takes it that way, surely the angels of God have compassion on humans, including women. If not they would not exhibit the character of God. I mean what are they, impersonal robots? LoL. They are caring beings. No one could be in the Presence of Almighty God who wasn't. Angels praise God, and I'm sure some will think praise unto God could somehow be impersonal, but how would you feel if someone praised you for something with absolutely no feeling in it? I know how I'd react, and it would be with a finger down my throat to get rid of the sickness, LoL.

Hi Hidden hope your well...
I wasn't clear enough I think. What im saying is the angels are from heaven, resided in heaven and had sexual capabilities in heaven, right...
Therefore i think it could be possible that romantic love is permitted in heaven...

How would you be with your earth partner in heaven, not being able to express your love to her in the most passionate way. How would that work?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Platonic kissing is when you are expressing love, and that's all.

Thanks. You know, I actually responded to her without looking it up, and it's a little different than what I thought. As a philosopher, I assumed it might be that empty sort of non-emotional sign of "affection." But if the current definitions are true to Plato, it runs close in line with what I feel is acceptable in Heaven and on earth:

Definition of platonic love
1: love conceived by Plato as ascending from passion for the individual to contemplation of the universal and ideal
2: a close relationship between two persons in which sexual desire is nonexistent or has been suppressed or sublimated
Definition of PLATONIC LOVE

Sexual desire being suppressed or sublimated is a very good way to put it in some cases. Husbands and wives will still have that type of affection for each other, but it will be sublimated into an ideal form without it. So, too, with those who might have married in this life had circumstances been different, but greatly desired to.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't clear enough I think. What im saying is the angels are from heaven, resided in heaven and had sexual capabilities in heaven, right...
??
Did you not yet realize this is not real, true, nor possible at all ?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does make sense. I figured my answer wouldn’t do, but I gave it a shot. It’s impossible for me to put into words how I experience the love of God. All I can say is that it’s like no other love, and in heaven we will know and love Him fully and intimately as He knows and loves us.

I have read visions that describe how every believer has their own garden in Heaven, filled with only the kinds of flowers, herbs, plants and fruit trees that they like best, and that the Lord comes to us there in times when He needs to speak to us alone. Now does that not speak to us of intimacy or what? : )

Reactions: Stan B

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats what i though too, we wouldn't have that innate drive for sexual pleasure which drives the procreation of humans on earth.
But after thinking about Genesis 6 i tend to think now that its more probable seeing that the sons of God can procreate

When the sons of God procreated they did so outside the will of God. I'm assuming you realize that, yes?

Reactions: Helen and Pearl