Romantic Love In Eternity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a serious question: To what extent do you think romantic love will still exist in Heaven after the resurrection of the dead? By romantic, I do not mean sexually romantic. The scripture attests that there will apparently be no sexuality in eternity:

“Jesus answered and said unto them, 'Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.'” (Matt. 22:23–30.)

But I mean, surely there will be those we have the fondest feelings for, and we will at least be given back our youth. What of married couples who were very romantic with each other in this life and had a very deep and abiding love? Will they somehow have to suppress these feelings for each other in Heaven? If not, how will they be allowed to express such feelings? Will kissing still be allowed? Will affection on a level that would be considered only fitting for in private still take place?

I'm asking for opinions, but they would have to be based on reason. The scripture says nothing about this, other than the Song of Solomon discussing the romantic love the Lord will have for His church. But does that mean we will not be allowed to love each other the same way?

Blessings in Christ to any who respond.
- H

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture says nothing about this,
Keep asking for Wisdom from God as written in James, et al.
There is perhaps quite a bit... as revealed from Scripture, in line with all Scripture, in the online free pdf format "Love Not The World" if it is still available somewhere.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 3:17.

I like that verse. Seems to me there would be a place for affection rather than just friendship. Certainly we will not simply be merely friends with the Lord. As he asked Peter, "Do you love me?" One of the words Peter used in response was, "Lord, you know I am your friend," to which the Lord again insistently replied, "Do you love me?"

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Josho

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him

2 Corinthians 13:12 I was referring to, I think kissing will be allowed in Heaven.

Well, the holy kiss is certainly a sign of affection, yes. Only I am talking about rising above the level of affection to romance; a special kind of affection reserved only for someone who means much more to us than an ordinary friend.

Reactions: Josho

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't believe that we will have romantic type feelings. I believe they are God's gift for this realm.
I'm sure that I will know my husband , but not with romantic feelings .

God is referred to as Father..there is ( usually) a deep relationship between child and father.... Jesus and His father had a very deep love.

That is the kind of relationship I believe that we will have in the new kingdom.

Just my two cents ... :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him

2 Corinthians 13:12 I was referring to, I think kissing will be allowed in Heaven.

You see, certainly there will be hugging in Heaven. The difference is that sometimes you can hug someone and you are communicating one level of love with them, and then other times you can hug someone and you are communicating something else entirely; a need for them that is different than what you feel for others.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe that we will have romantic type feelings. I believe they are God's gift for this realm.
I'm sure that I will know my husband , but not with romantic feelings .

You're kidding. I appreciate the honesty, Helen, and certainly thanks for sharing. Only I find it hard to believe that we will express greater feelings of affection down here than we will up there. Seems... counter intuitive to me, for lack of better words.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a serious question: To what extent do you think romantic love will still exist in Heaven after the resurrection of the dead? By romantic, I do not mean sexually romantic. The scripture attests that there will apparently be no sexuality in eternity:

“Jesus answered and said unto them, 'Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.'” (Matt. 22:23–30.)

But I mean, surely there will be those we have the fondest feelings for, and we will at least be given back our youth. What of married couples who were very romantic with each other in this life and had a very deep and abiding love? Will they somehow have to suppress these feelings for each other in Heaven? If not, how will they be allowed to express such feelings? Will kissing still be allowed? Will affection on a level that would be considered only fitting for in private still take place?

I'm asking for opinions, but they would have to be based on reason. The scripture says nothing about this, other than the Song of Solomon discussing the romantic love the Lord will have for His church. But does that mean we will not be allowed to love each other the same way?

- H

Are you are presuming along with many here perhaps that Heaven is someplace besides where we are right now. What are we able to see right now?

But as to what God has in store for people who love Him...

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." I Cor 2:9

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is" I John 3:2

What does Jesus look like to us? What is Jesus like with us now? What kind of vision do we have now? Do If we see Him yet 'face to face'?

Will we not love everybody who is with us with Him? What if the here and now is the picture of what are to see in the 'then' participation? Do we love our spouse now?

"Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father" John 14:8-9

Do we love all of our brothers now? Do we know who they all are?

"We love him, because he first loved us.
If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also." I John 4:19-21

"But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matt 12:48-50

If we are not pleasing and loving God and our brothers now we should not concern ourselves about any after a while!

Does everyone remember this verse?

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." Phil 2:3

This is what Jesus did. If we are failing to do this now, how much mercy does God have for us now? Never mind again about any after a while!

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, the holy kiss is certainly a sign of affection, yes. Only I am talking about rising above the level of affection to romance; a special kind of affection reserved only for someone who means much more to us than an ordinary friend.

Hmmmm, even though no one will be married to their earthly wife or husband in Heaven, I think we will still know who we were close to here on earth, when we get to Heaven.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is our bridegroom and we are His bride.

We will very likely be spending all of our time expressing romantic love to Him through adoration and worship.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You're kidding. I appreciate the honesty, Helen, and certainly thanks for sharing. Only I find it hard to believe that we will express greater feelings of affection down here than we will up there. Seems... counter intuitive to me, for lack of better words.

I believe that what God has given us here...is for the type and shadow of Christ and His Bride ..
What we have in heaven will be so far above and beyond the feeble feelings of this realm. When we filter things through our human mindset it falls far short of what God has in store for us.

His glory will be so awesome and overwhelming , I don't believe the kind of feelings we have down here will even be close or on the radar when in heaven.

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I think we need to be very careful here not to read into scripture what is not in scripture. All we know is what you have posted - that "they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven". This does not mention anything beyond that, and I will speculate that there is a reason.

What we do know is that our understanding is incapable of reaching a point of grasping what is in store for us when we are there: 1 Corinthians 2:9 - Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

So, we are trying to understand, with a fallen mind, in a fallen corrupt world and compare what we have experienced to what is in store with us to come.

We can speculate, and guess - but in the end it's futile because what God has in store for us (and I think that encompasses everything - including the way we will be relating with each other) - no eye has seen, nor have we heard, nor has it entered into our hearts.

My personal thought is that however we relate to each other in heaven - will be far more intimate and with far more pure love than the closest moment we have had to anyone here on earth. What that looks like I know I could never imagine, but look forward to experiencing in God's time!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." I Cor 2:9

"We love him, because he first loved us. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loves not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loves God love his brother also." I John 4:19-21

Wonderful verses in your post. These two bring to mind some things. The first, and I'm going to be quite candid here, but it brings to my mind the fact that what I honestly want most of all in Heaven isn't mansions or positions of authority. It's closeness with others that I never had down here. I recall Paul telling the Thessalonians that he shared not just the gospel with them but his own soul as well, and that they would be his joy and crown in eternity. Certainly that is talking about those he gave everything for, and therefore loved them with a greater love than just being friends.

I think it's what John was getting at and trying to communicate to believers with the second passage as well.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His glory will be so awesome and overwhelming , I don't believe the kind of feelings we have down here will even be close or on the radar when in heaven.
Amen.
Plus, as written, (nothing will ever contradict God's Word),
the carnal passions of the flesh, of the world, of "reason" even, will not be ever there.
Nothing not only nothing impure,
but nothing tempting to impure, nothing leading to impure, nothing hinting at all to be impure....

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

- H
Hi, HiH, good question. I believe that romantic love, as wonderful as it can be, is but a faint shadow of God's love that we will fully experience in heaven. Not that we don't experience His love now, but it seems that so much gets in the way of knowing the depth of His love for us. In heaven, I believe that we will "be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s love, and to know the Messiah’s love that surpasses knowledge, so [we] may be filled with all the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:18-19). I take it by faith that we will be so full of Him and so satisfied with His love that we will not miss the earthly romanic-type love.

As far as special relationships we have here on earth, I don't believe that there will be marriage in heaven based on what Jesus said, but I don't see any reason why we won't have special relationships in heaven. After all, we will still be who we are, or rather all that God made us to be, in heaven.

Last edited: