Romantic Love In Eternity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have a serious question: To what extent do you think romantic love will still exist in Heaven after the resurrection of the dead? By romantic, I do not mean sexually romantic. The scripture attests that there will apparently be no sexuality in eternity:

“Jesus answered and said unto them, 'Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.'” (Matt. 22:23–30.)

But I mean, surely there will be those we have the fondest feelings for, and we will at least be given back our youth. What of married couples who were very romantic with each other in this life and had a very deep and abiding love? Will they somehow have to suppress these feelings for each other in Heaven? If not, how will they be allowed to express such feelings? Will kissing still be allowed? Will affection on a level that would be considered only fitting for in private still take place?

I'm asking for opinions, but they would have to be based on reason. The scripture says nothing about this, other than the Song of Solomon discussing the romantic love the Lord will have for His church. But does that mean we will not be allowed to love each other the same way?

Blessings in Christ to any who respond.
- H

HiH,

Is a person living in flesh and blood needed to experience romantic love? If so, there will be no romantic love in glory because 'flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable' (1 Cor 15:50 NIV).

Romantic love is perishable, in my understanding.

Oz

Reactions: Pearl and Jay Ross

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HiH,

Is a person living in flesh and blood needed to experience romantic love?

Hey, Oz. My answer here would be no. The multitude of online relationships that have developed into genuine, deep and abiding romances would suggest otherwise.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... Is a person living in flesh and blood needed to experience romantic love? If so, there will be no romantic love in glory because 'flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable' (1 Cor 15:50 NIV) Romantic love is perishable, in my understanding.
Oz
(sorry if someone already posted the definition)

Did anyone ever state the definition (at least they are using if not others) of "romantic love" ?

And may be helpful if it is revealed by God in Scripture too ? (so much and different is revealed there)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
(sorry if someone already posted the definition)

Did anyone ever state the definition (at least they are using if not others) of "romantic love" ?

And may be helpful if it is revealed by God in Scripture too ? (so much and different is revealed there)
If there is romantic love it won't be in marriage 'cos the bible says there will be no marriage in heaven. So I can't see it being physical love as there will no longer be any need to procreate.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If there is romantic love it won't be in marriage 'cos the bible says there will be no marriage in heaven. So I can't see it being physical love as there will no longer be any need to procreate.
Yes, good, I agree too.
And , in heaven, there will be nothing that pollutes at all - earthly, physical, mental, spiritual or soulish or other.
Nothing, as it were, "of the flesh"....
and nothing, as written, left of what was already "crucified" ....

Reactions: Pearl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP is on romantic love in eternity, not online relationships.

The implication, Oz, is that it can start here, and despite some relationships on earth, not be generated by fleshly interests but rather spiritual and soulish ones.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The implication, Oz, is that it can start here, and despite some relationships on earth, not be generated by fleshly interests but rather spiritual and soulish ones.
This may (or may not) be off topic, so not to pursue here, but the things that are soulish/ fleshly are to be all subject to the spirit,
which is to be subject to Jesus totally, as written many times in Scripture ---

everything, every thought, dream, hope, feeling, desire, want, need, plan , strength , weaknesses ,
all in all
is to be brought subject to Jesus Christ, as written....
(some lot of those all are to be crucified, as described in His Instructions through His Messengers the Apostles) ....

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe we will have soul-mates.

Reactions: Lambano

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone in heaven will be perfect, holy, spotless, blameless, righteous, good totally, without any iniquity, without any sin, without any bad memory or bad thought.

ONE with the FATHER and THE SON, just as the FATHER and the SON have always been ONE (ECHAD).

Reactions: Pearl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's a curious thought, Pearl. Quite honestly I think many of our marriages fail or are far from what they could have been because we don't follow His leading closely enough to find the one who is, and it's a shame. I very much do believe in the concept, though I don't think you have to find your soulmate to have a successful marriage. But I think there would always be something missing.

As for Heaven, I think there will definitely be closer relationships with particular people. Like I said in another post - something pomp agreed with me on - I'm not one for a million and one surface friendships. Even in Heaven I will always want a friend (besides the Lord Himself, of course) who will know my world, who will know everything I am going through and what I am about, and someone I can be a perfect companion to myself. The good news is that such relationships will with almost certainly be provided, for eye has not seen nor ear heard what the Lord has prepared for those who love Him, and I most certainly do.

Reactions: friend of and Pearl

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus died on the cross to ‘ put things right ‘ well what did love look like in the garden of Eden - Adam and Eve had a relationship ,they equally had a relationship with the Lord - so there were different relationships between one another.
Sorry just rambling off the top of my head ! Rita
I know this is a very old thread, but it interests me. My thoughts were that God had an intentional original desire for man and woman to "be fruitful and multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it." He is going to create a new heaven and new earth. And then there is this....

Isaiah 9:7
[7]Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

How can something increase without procreation .... being fruitful, multiplying? If God created something here and said, "It is very good" ....that being man and woman and sat them in a garden ....why would He do any less in eternity? This was the state of humanity before the fall. And .....there was one man, one woman ....and no "marriage." She was his help meet.

Just thoughts to ponder....

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You're kidding. I appreciate the honesty, Helen, and certainly thanks for sharing. Only I find it hard to believe that we will express greater feelings of affection down here than we will up there. Seems... counter intuitive to me, for lack of better words.
I know Hidden is now hiding. But in response to this, I don't think romantic love to be the highest expression of affection. We are informed that whilst here on earth, we are to transformed into the image of Christ, who demonstrated the absolute epitome of affection for us through self sacrifice. And that of also the counsel the apostles Paul offered as our highest expression of love for our wives... Love you wives as Christ loved the church. Romance was the purpose of procreation... Creating a species... And God also made it fun. I don't believe we will need either more people, or that particular brand of fun. There'll be plenty to do besides that and it'll all be totally brilliant.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This old thread also got my attention today. Too bad so many off the subject posts are found in the middle. I still enjoyed reading through again. A few of the posters are still will us but some like @Guiliano are long gone. He had one especially interesting post here on which he amplified in other places on this forum and others.See his post #43 Romantic Love In Eternity?

Reactions: Azim

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This old thread also got my attention today. Too bad so many off the subject posts are found in the middle. I still enjoyed reading through again. A few of the posters are still will us but some like @Guiliano are long gone. He had one especially interesting post here on which he amplified in other places on this forum and others.See his post #43 Romantic Love In Eternity?
That post you referred to by Guiliano, I had a lot of uneasiness with. There were some thoughts in it bordering on Luciferian philosophy that reverses good and evil.
Concerning the OP, Jesus said that in heaven there will be no marriage. Romantic love, or sexual relations, outside of marriage is anathema to all righteousness and holiness. Therefore such thinking in heaven is unthinkable.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That post you referred to by Guiliano, I had a lot of uneasiness with. There were some thoughts in it bordering on Luciferian philosophy that reverses good and evil.
Concerning the OP, Jesus said that in heaven there will be no marriage. Romantic love, or sexual relations, outside of marriage is anathema to all righteousness and holiness. Therefore such thinking in heaven is unthinkable.
Like many things he wrote, I did not fully endorse it, but it has some ideas to keep us alert and thinking that we may not have all of the answers to all of the questions. We do still live by faith rather than by knowledge, do we not?

While any believer, I believe, does have some knowledge of the things of God, how many know it all correctly? How many are able [or willing] to separate knowledge of God and Godly things from things held by faith? How many can say on every, or even on any, point that they definitely know rather than hold to it by faith? This is one area that I believe causes some of the harshest ungodly conflicts on this and other Christian forums. People need to seriously admit the possibility that they themselves are wrong. Failure to do this may indeed hinder their own growth toward God. Of course, some will disagree with me on that. Am I in error?

Reactions: Brakelite