Sabbath or Sunday? What did Jesus teach & show in scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's REST according to the New Covenant... is it's not speaking of keeping Saturday sabbath!

Hebrews 4:4-11
For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Hebrews 4:6 tells us "to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief" so those living under the Law of Moses did not enter in to God's REST... even though they were observing Saturday sabbath!

What the Lord's Word is speaking of in Hebrews 4:8 is what we have under the New Covenant which is resting in faith IN Christ... not just one day a week, but ALL days.

Therefore Saturday sabbath does not meet the higher standards Jesus Christ has brought forth for His people in the New Covenant due to it';s better promises.

Maybe some day... the sabbatarians can come on over in to the New Covenant and let Jesus be their High Priest rather than trying to go back and live under Moses.

It refers to the 4th commandment as a tool to illustrate the rest found from Salvation in Christ—not replacing the 4th commandment.

Double down retread

Reactions: quietthinker

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It refers to the 4th commandment as a tool to illustrate the rest found from Salvation in Christ—not replacing the 4th commandment.

Double down retread

Under the OT they only rested one day a way.

Under the NT we are at rest at all times abiding by faith IN Christ.

Obviously the NT deal if far better... but feel free to just rest one day a week if you must.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Under the OT they only rested one day a way.

Under the NT we are at rest at all times abiding by faith IN Christ.

Obviously the NT deal if far better... but feel free to just rest one day a week if you must.

I must. Thanks, but I'd rather have apples AND oranges.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must. Thanks, but I'd rather have apples AND oranges.

That's not what you have been saying all along as you have been claiming Saturday sabbath is what the Lord requires and all that he accepts.

You must be back sliding away from Saturday sabbath only... clueless-scratching.gif

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what you have been saying all along as you have been claiming Saturday sabbath is what the Lord requires and all that he accepts.

There is a clear distinction between what must be done to be saved and what must be done as a moral duty to God.

No one can be saved by keeping commandments. Keeping them is what you do when you love Jesus, which no one can do until they have been transformed by His grace.

If you love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15)

Still simple stuff

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must be back sliding away from Saturday sabbath only...
clueless-scratching.gif

It's never going to work, Big Boy.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's never going to work, Big Boy.

In response to my post about being at rest ALL days and not just Saturday, you just said you wanted "apples AND oranges."

So, you want to have Saturday sabbath... AND rest on all other days too?

You gotta keep this on the downlow man so your sabbatarian buddies don't find out! roll.gif

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a broken record is a broken record!

That's why I started listening to MP3 files on my computer... so I don't have to carry around that record playa.

Yeah, so Jesus never commanded anybody to keep Saturday sabbath so that rumor has been debunked and is defunct!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you want to have Saturday sabbath... AND rest on all other days too?

For six days I have the rest (not work) of "apples."

But the seventh day is the Sabbath day. On it, I have the rest (not work) of both "apples" and "oranges."

You gotta keep this on the downlow man so your sabbatarian buddies don't find out!
roll.gif

This is not a doctrinal disagreement at all. It is idle words of evil speaking.

But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. ( Matthew 12:36 )

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The same One who took the old covenant away that could not bring life... and established a new covenant that could bring life.

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

And sadly, this is the part the sabbatarians refuse to believe. clueless-doh.gif

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh huh, claiming Jesus commanded something He never commanded... is evil speaking of a much worse kind that joking around with someone.

I'm not joking around, and I find no humor in it, so you're not joking around "with" anyone.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah, so Jesus never commanded anybody to keep Saturday sabbath so that rumor has been debunked and is defunct!
If that were the case BBJ, you would let 'dead' horses lay, but seeing you keep flogging it with a repetitive, repetitive, repetitive enthusiasm, it must mean it's not dead.....or can't you tell the difference?

• Haha
Reactions: BarneyFife