Salvation Through Baptism ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Faith(belief) includes baptism. Faith alone (faith void of repentance & baptism) is dead.

Eph 2:8--------------faith>>>>>>>>>>>>>saves
1Pet 3:21-----------baptism>>>>>>>>>>>saves

Just one way to be saved then faith MUST include baptism.

Rom 4:5 "worketh not" refers to perfect, flawless works required by the OT law to be justified not faithful obedience to the will of God. How can Abraham be one who "worketh not" when he did in fact do obedient works by leaving his home/land and offering Isaac Hebrews 11:8,17) & justified by those obedient works per James and Paul? Now there is a contradiction faith onlyists create. Paul excludes perfect works required by the OT law to be saved (Rom 4) and excludes works of merit (Eph 2) but nowhere ever did Paul exclude obedience to the will of God. In Romans 6:16 Paul includes obedience to being saved.."obedience unto righteousness". Those in Rome had:
1) were serving sin unto death (lost)
2) beyed from the heart
3) then freed from sin/justified serving righteousness

Again, obedience BEFORE justification.

Peter quoted Joel's prophecy in his gospel sermon in Acts 2:21. And that prophecy was fulfilled in Acts 2:38

v21------call upon the name of the Lord>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>saved
v38------repent and be baptized>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>remission of sins.

Again, just one way to be saved then calling upon the name of the Lord means to repent and be baptized. Calling upon the name of the Lord means doing what the Lord has said (Luke 6:46) and the Lord has said to repent and be baptized Luke 13:3; Mark 16:16.

Matthew 7:21 that that doeth the will of the Father (repent and baptized) enter the kingdom.

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you make baptism a requirement of Salvation, then you cause Scripture to contradict Scripture. If you must be baptized to be saved, why does the Scripture say we are:

1. Saved by grace through faith, not of works, which would include baptism! (Rom. 3:24-25; Eph. 2:8-9; Acts 15:8-9).

2. Saved by faith without works, including baptism! (Rom. 4:1-25; 5:1; Gal. 3:19-29).

3. Saved by faith in the blood of Jesus, not faith in water! (Matt. 26:28; Eph. 1:7; Rev. 1:5; 1 Jn. 1:7; Heb. 9:22; 1 Pet. 1:18-23).

4. Saved by calling on the name of the Lord. (Acts 2:21; Rom. 10:9-13).

5. Saved by believing on Jesus (John 3:16-18; 26; Acts 10:43; 13:38-40; 16:31; Rom. 10:9-10; 1 Cor. 1:21). Not one time is baptism referred to as necessary to gain salvation in ANY of these passages!

Did you ever wonder if they are ALL included and work TOGETHER, instead of being one or the other??

All those verses are from God and they either are all correct or we HAVE A PROBLEM.
My name is OLIGOS

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi

ACTS 2:38
Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

So is baptism necessary in order to receive the Holy Spirit?

And is baptism necessary for salvation? If a person has accepted Jesus Christ by faith and has made a full repentance, yet have not become baptized.. are they saved.

All bodies and the life of the body (blood) shall die.

Gen 9:
[5] And surely your blood of your lives will I require;

Saved souls are saved by Confession of the mouth.

Rom 10:
[10] ... with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Spirit of man
IS:
Natural "Truth"
IN:
A mans Natural "Heart"
IN:
A mans Natural Born Body
A natural mans seed.

Rom 10:
[10] For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;

Jesus' pure body and blood was "offered" unto death, to Pay our "Sin Debt".

If we accept His Offer...From our Hearts Thoughts...we submit ourselves unto Him.
Calling on the Lord God...while still in our corrupt natural FLESH...He hears and Accepts True heartfelt confessions.

He circumcises, cuts off our old natural truth, gives us a new heart, His SEED, which Births our New "born Again" spirit, And His Holy Spirit of True...feeding our new spirit with His Truth and His Understanding.

Rom 2:
[29] ...cirumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, ...

Ezek 18:
[31] Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit:
Ezek 36
[26] A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Baptism Accomplished

Glory to God,
Taken

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell me why BAPTISM isn't necessary when we see it here in these verses about SALVATION and being saved??

An appeal to numbers is interesting. Since numbers appear to be important, lets take an honest look at them.

Baptism by the numbers

After counting all of the references to the term BAPTIZO and its derivatives in the Greek New Testament, we find that the term is used 131 times, and after excluding the repeats from the synoptic Gospels, we see that the term is used 99 independent times. Of all of these passages, fewer than twenty can be appealed to in the effort to prove that baptism is essential to salvation. “The words salvation, faith, repent, forgive, sin, save, wash, justify, sanctify, clean, believe, purge, remission, redeem, blood, reconcile, and kindred words that are used of redemption, are used 3,322 times in Scripture and not once is water baptism stated as being necessary in any redemptive process before sins can be remitted. On the other hand, hundreds of Scriptures require blood, faith in the blood, and a simple confession of sins to God to have sins remitted, but never is baptism once hinted as an essential to redemption.” Finis Dake, God's Plan for Man, page 538.

If there is anything that we can draw from the evidence of this data, it is that that the overwhelming idea of the Gospel is defined as salvation by grace through faith, and not any salvation by baptism. It would be hard to concede that the weight of the evidence somehow supports the idea that baptism has any integral connection to the Gospel. The number should also indicate that there has been an overemphasis on this issue in some denominations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renniks

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you ever wonder if they are ALL included and work TOGETHER, instead of being one or the other??

Scripture is clear that mankind cannot add to the grace of God without voiding that grace. You can try to earn salvation, or you can accept it as a gift.
Fruit, works, baptism, do not activate or accomplish salvation; they are the result of a salvation already received and accomplished. God produces good works through the believer. Baptism does not save, it testifies to a salvation already received. Good works and acts of faith are the natural result of faith and God working in and through the believer. No "wonder" and no mystery why good things follow grace and faith...

Reactions: TEXBOW

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one example can be found in the Scripture that someone was saved before they were baptized, or without baptism, then the heretical theory of baptismal regeneration has been proven false! For this, I offer several examples:

1. The thief on the cross. Without a doubt was clearly saved without water baptism! John 19:31-36.

2. Paul was converted, filled with the Holy Spirit before he was baptized with water. Acts 9:17-18.

3. Cornelius and his household. Believed, and were immediately baptized with the Spirit before they were baptized with water. Acts 10:43-44.

Reactions: TEXBOW

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Candidus
Nice to see someone new here posting. :)
This has been a topic "discussed" for hundreds of years with sometimes "HOSTILE" attacks and sometimes with love but agreeing to disagree.
I'm in the second group as I have studied this way too long, 42 years, and see way too many "VALIDATING" verses for not only just the act of baptism, but everything that has been included to be part of baptism, and the foundational start we're given when we are baptized to start our journey of salvation.

God bless you on your new journey here on this forum.
My name is OLIGOS

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ACTS 2:38 Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

No, because the Gentiles had received the Holy Spirit before they were commanded to be water baptized. Do note how they receive the remission of sins which is by believing in Jesus Christ.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Is that the same gospel to the Jews? Yes, but because water baptism was interjected in there right after repent which is to repent from unbelief by believing in Him, many readers thinks water baptism was how the Jews got their remission of sins when it was not.

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Verses 36 & 37 shows the conviction for crucifying someone they had not believed in and so they ask what they were to do and Peter said repent as in repent from unbelief by believing in Him is how they receive the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost as this promise was to all who believe.

And is baptism necessary for salvation? If a person has accepted Jesus Christ by faith and has made a full repentance, yet have not become baptized.. are they saved.

Paul did not believe it was necessary for why he emphasized that the preaching of the cross and those who believe is the power of God in salvation.

1 Corinthians 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. 17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God..... 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

So that is how God saved when they believe in Him as that is how any believer receives the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost at their salvation.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repent ye, ------->2nd person ye shall receive ---------> 2nd person the gift of the Holy Spirit object of 2nd person

All of you repent and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit

every one of you -------> 3rd person be baptized -----------> 3rd person unto the remission of sins object of third person

Every one of you (who repented and received the Holy Spirit) be baptized because the remission of sins.

(This is implied by verse 41. “Then they that received his word were baptized." )

Those that repented had already received the Holy Spirit, and were then subsequently baptized. This is the order of salvation all through Scripture.
They were saved before they were baptized. You baptize a believer, and you have a testimony. You baptize an unsaved person, and all you have is a wet sinner! Water does not save or convert. God is not limited to water! They were baptized because their sins were already remitted!

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Different choices to choose salvation ? or do it all to be saved ?
Must be best to read the whole bible, not just in parts

John 3:16
Believe in Jesus

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Mark 16:16 believe and be baptized
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Romans 1:16 gospel unto salvation
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Hebrews 5:9 Obey him
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Ephesians 2:8 Faith
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Titus 3:5 Mercy
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Philippians 2:12 Work
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Matthew 10:22 Endure
22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

John 10:9 Enter in
9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Acts 2:21 Call
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans 5:9-10 Blood and Life
9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more,
being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Hebrews 9:28 Without sin
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

2 Corinthians 7:10 Repentance
10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Matthew 19:29 Forsake
29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Galatians 6:8 Soweth to the Spirit
8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

John 12:25 Hateth his life in this World
25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 8:13 Mortify

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Revelation 22:14 Do his commandments
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Proverbs 28:18 Walketh uprightly
18 Whoso walketh uprightly shall be saved: but he that is perverse in his ways shall fall at once.

Revelation 20:11-13 their Works proves their faith
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Aug 31, 2017
Bath
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all, in providing a wealthy spread of information on this topic of baptism. From what I've gathered "baptism" is not essential for salvation.. however, it is certainly a commitment of dedication to God by faith unto obidiance.

Reactions: TEXBOW and Willie T

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
If one example can be found in the Scripture that someone was saved before they were baptized, or without baptism, then the heretical theory of baptismal regeneration has been proven false! For this, I offer several examples:

1. The thief on the cross. Without a doubt was clearly saved without water baptism! John 19:31-36.

--we do not know with certainty the thief was not water baptized. He may very well been of those baptized in Mark 1:5.
--the thief is not an example of gospel salvation, Hebrews 9:16-17. The thief could not believe Christ hat been (past tense) raised from the dead (Romans 10:9-10) nor be baptized into the death of Christ (Romans 6:3-5) as the NT requires since Christ had not yet died.
--when Christ was on earth He had the power to forgive sins of those whom He thought was deserving, (Matthew 9:6). Christ is not on earth today in person forgiving sins as He did with the thief so no one today can say they are saved in the same way as the thief. Christ left earth some 2000 years ago leaving behind His N word as His authority on earth and the NT gospel requires belief repentance confession and baptism.

Candidus said:
2. Paul was converted, filled with the Holy Spirit before he was baptized with water. Acts 9:17-18.

--Acts 9:17 does not say Saul was filled with the Holy Ghost at this point. Other verses show the apostles had the power to impart the Holy Spirit to another person (Acts 8:18) but Ananias was not an apostle. We do not know exactly when Paul received the Holy Ghost as the other apostles did in Acts 2:2-4. But we know Saul was lost in his sins until he obeyed the command to be baptized, (Acts of the Apostles 22:16).

--Acts 2:38 baptism came before gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 5:32 one must first obey to receive the Spirit.

"It is quite common to assume that Ananias also conferred the Holy Spirit upon him, by imposition of hands. But this is neither stated nor implied in the text; nor is there any evidence that any besides the apostles ever exercised the power of imparting the Spirit. The fact that this power is not known to have been exercised by any other than the apostles, establishes a strong presumption that it was not exercised by Ananias. This presumption, in the entire absence of proof to the contrary, would alone be conclusive. We do not forget that Ananias says, "Jesus has sent me that you may be filled with the Holy Spirit." This shows that his reception of the Spirit in some way depended upon the presence of Ananias, but does not imply that he received it by imposition of hands. All the other apostles received it direct from heaven, without human agency. [Acts 2:1-4.] They also received it after they had been immersed; for the fact that Jesus preached the immersion of John, and caused the twelve to administer it under his eye, is proof that they themselves had submitted to it. Moreover, in every other case in the New Testament, with the single exception of Cornelius, the gift of miraculous power followed immersion. These facts furnish a firm basis for the conclusion that Saul's inspiration was awaiting his immersion; and that it depended upon the visit of Ananias, because he was sent to immerse him that he might receive pardon and be filled with the Holy Spirit. To conclude otherwise would be to make his case an exception to that of all the other apostles in reference to manner of receiving the Spirit, and to nearly all other disciples, including the apostles, in reference to the time of receiving it." JW McGarvey

Therefore Ananias presence was needed to baptize Saul so then he could then be filled with Holy Ghost from above by God.

Candidus said:
3. Cornelius and his household. Believed, and were immediately baptized with the Spirit before they were baptized with water. Acts 10:43-44.

--in Acts 15:1-2 the Apostles met in jerusalem to discuss if the Gentiles had to be circumcised to be saved. During this meeting Peter said in verse 11 "But we believe that we (Jews) shall be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in like manner as they (Gentiles)." There is jut one wa to be saved under the gospel and all, Jew and Gentile are saved in that one 'like manner' way. The Jews in Acts 2 were saved by water baptism in the name of the Lord for remission of sins. Gentiles in Acts 10:47-48 were saved in that like manner way. In Acts 2 only the Apostles were filled with the Holy Spirit therefore being baptized with the Holy Spirit is NOT the like manner way Jew and Gentile are saved.

--no verse say baptism with the Holy Spirit saves yet verses show water baptism saves. Hence baptism with the Holy Spirit had nothing to do with the personal salvation of Cornelius. The reason God gave a miraculous vision to Peter and had the Holy Spirit fall upon the Gentiles whereby they spake in tongues was NOT about salvation but to prove to the Jews that salvation was not just for them, but also the Gentiles. We see that these two miraculous events from God did just that for when the Jews "heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then to the Gentiles also hath God granted repentance unto life." (Acts 11:18).

--after the events of Acts 10 Peter went to the Jews in Jerusalem and " rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them" (Acts of the Apostles 11:4). In telling how the events happened "by order" Peter says "Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning." (Acts of the Apostles 11:14-15) The events "by order" shows the Holy Spirit fell upon the Gentiles BEFORE Peter told them the saving words (gospel).

Acts 11:14 says the Gentiles would be saved "by words" NOT be saved by being baptized with the Holy Spirit. In Acts 10 the "words" Peter gave the Gentiles by which they would be saved was the command to be water baptized (Acts of the Apostles 10:47-48).

Romans 1:16 it was God's plan that the salvation of the gospel go first to the Jew, then the Gentiles. Here in Acts 10 we have salvation coming to the Gentiles in the form of water baptism in the name of the Lord for remission of sins (again, Jew and Gentile saved in like manner way). Hence anyone that "forbid water" from the Gentiles would be attempting to thwart God's will in salvation going to the Gentiles.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Repent ye, ------->2nd person ye shall receive ---------> 2nd person the gift of the Holy Spirit object of 2nd person

All of you repent and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit

every one of you -------> 3rd person be baptized -----------> 3rd person unto the remission of sins object of third person

Every one of you (who repented and received the Holy Spirit) be baptized because the remission of sins.

(This is implied by verse 41. “Then they that received his word were baptized." )

Those that repented had already received the Holy Spirit, and were then subsequently baptized. This is the order of salvation all through Scripture.
They were saved before they were baptized. You baptize a believer, and you have a testimony. You baptize an unsaved person, and all you have is a wet sinner! Water does not save or convert. God is not limited to water! They were baptized because their sins were already remitted!

--The Greek word eis means for, looking forward..be baptized for, unto, looking forward to having sins remitted. It does not mean 'because".

--Acts 2:41 "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:.." The logical implication is those who rejected the gospel message as preached by Peter were not baptized. Hence rejecting baptism is rejecting the gospel, being baptized is gladly receiving the gospel.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
--The Greek word eis means for, looking forward..be baptized for, unto, looking forward to having sins remitted. It does not mean 'because".

" My children are with me in (eis) bed." Luke 11:7. They were already with him in bed, there is not any reference to the future.

"The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for (eis) they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here. Matt. 12:41. Luke 11:32.

It would be a better multiple word translation to interpret the meaning of eis as, “on account of,” “because of ” (Matt. 12:41; Luke 11:32), “in accordance ”or “with reference to," the remission of sins. This would be more appropriate since this would keep in harmony with the passages that assert that we are saved by faith and not by any works. (See Brown, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, 3:1208 ; Perschbacher, The New Analytical Greek Lexicon, page 121, eis, (with reference to; as in 2 Cor. 10:13,); Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich, Greek Lexicon, page 230 , eis, (with respect or reference to); Moulton, The Analytical Greek Lexicon Revised, page 119, eis, (with a view to; with reference to; in accordance with).

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16------- baptism >>>>>>>>saves
John 3:5 --------born of water>>>>>>enter the kingdom
Acts 2:38------ baptism>>>>>>>>>>remission of sin
1 Peter 3:21---baptism>>>>>>>>>>saves

How do you reach the conclusion baptism does not save?

Mark 16:16 is a questionable verse as to its authenticity. Not something to build a doctrine upon. Notice that the passage is clear that believing and being baptized is not the same thing. The fact that those who do not believe shall be damned clearly makes no reference to baptism. Their lack of faith is the cause of their doom. The first half of the passage talks of salvation by faith, and baptism because they are saved. My friend, if you baptize a sinner, all you get is a wet sinner! If you baptize a Christian you have a testimony! Getting wet would do absolutely nothing for the one who is not already saved by faith. People get baptized because they believe and are already saved.

John 3:15 is not talking about baptism; that's eisegesis.

Acts 2:38 is emphatic in the Greek. Receiving the Holy Spirit by repentance and belief precedes baptism. One gets baptized in view of the remission of sins that has already occurred.

1 Peter 3:21 says that baptism does not cleanse the filth of the flesh.
“Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. The LIKE FIGURE whereunto even baptism doth also save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience towards God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”

Baptism is mentioned here only as a FIGURE, that is, a shadow, symbol, or picture of salvation. Baptism does not save; it declares salvation. It was as if God knew that this passage would be misused that He ended the verse with “(not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God.)” Water baptism does not put away the filth of the old carnal nature, but simply gives us a good conscience toward God.

Reactions: prism

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi

ACTS 2:38
Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Nope.
1 Corinthians 1:14-18 (KJV) I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

If baptizing saves, why does Paul state he doesn't even know who he baptized let alone state he was glad he baptized none of them? Rather Paul goes on and reveals the true power which delivers the work of Christ to the person, years after the Event...the Gospel received by faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Candidus

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
--we do not know with certainty the thief was not water baptized. He may very well been of those baptized in Mark 1:5.

I know with a certainty that the Scriptures never say that he was baptized. Sorry, wishful thinking to justify a bad doctrine is no defense.

--the thief is not an example of gospel salvation

So Jesus gave people lies and false hope for three whole years? He declared salvation if they believed on Him; was that only if they outlived Him? He told the repentant thief that "Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. A Last Will and Testament is ratified when the Testator dies. The thief died under the New Testament dispensation. The "Gospel Salvation" is by faith in Jesus Christ and nothing else; to include water!