Sanctification is not a Process

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That last sentence makes no sense. If the sanctification is final...how can it be a process? Think on it.
I'm just sharing the Word with you.

Hebrews 10:14 KJV
14) For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

It's not saying "he hath perfected into eternity them that are sanctified." Notice the difference.

We need to recognize what these passages do and don't say before we go on to make our doctrinal conclusions. Please recognize I'm not arguing for a particular view.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Episkopos,

Thinking about your post, from childhood those who are able to get to school and get and education, grow and learn over time, learning about subjects, involving math, science, history, English, which overall is to help people grow and learn at least not only in those subject but reading and learning how to do homework which helps grow the knowledge and also reputation helps information stick in the mind.

From my experiences as a sinner; thank God for him, and as I needing of his mercy. Is that even though I fall short; God doesn’t leave, or give up on me; he is always there to talk to, and to pray to about your family, friends, enemies and situations that come about in one’s life. And even though that my flesh is intact deserving of death. Christian’s are to become baptized in the death of the messiah. That would mean carrying their own cross to go and also die with him, and become buried with him. That is to die to the flesh, die to sin, becoming alive by the spirit more unto God by faith and seeking him and having relationship. Nothing my flesh has ever done was good; the only good that ever came out of it is when my soul (mind/will/emotions) are focused on heavenly things, asking the Fsther to guide me by what the spirit creates within our hearts and minds.

It’s only by reading the Bible that one grows and over time; does or can indeed become more sanctified in Christ by building on the Chief cornerstones foundation laid forth by the apostles. Sometimes faith foundations can be crumpled down to the ground; if they are not set upon the chief cornerstone which holds up everything else and whom is the head of the church, Jesus.

I believe it’s in Hebrews the writer talks to the Jews, where it talks about God will shake everything down; and that means man’s ideas, even their faith they may have when they are seeking and have to questing them selves. Where nothing that can be shaken will remain; the things that are unshakable are founded on spirits principles; founded in God who is Spirit, and founded in the foundation of the word of God who is the chief cornerstone of the way of being able to have access to the Father by faith.

The more a person grows and their mind is renewed; sanctification does happen over time; but that does not a person will never fall into sin again or missing the mark for whatever one may have on their mind about doing evil or to harm others. Remember give your thoughts to God and allows him to help you by the spirit in any given situation he is there to talk to.

The father be with you in Jesus name.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like the KJV and the NAS???

Another thing that isn't being understood. By one sacrifice, He has perfected INTO forever (eternity) those who are sanctified.

Check out your own Greek interlinears. It is INTO eternity....which of course ....is Zion.
Again wrong

once again get out of your english translation and dig deeper

perfected in the greek is a verb, in the perfect tense. And active. It means it is a complete action. That continues

Being sanctified is not a perfect verb, it is a present tense verb, which means it s ongoing

It your not willing to study what the words mean, I can not help you

• Love
Reactions: ChristisGod

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Protestants need progressive sanctification the same way Catholics need purgatory....and for the same reason.
No they do not

Because we are justified freely. My progressing sanctification does not help me get to heaven, My justification does

Again, You hurt your own belief. It is you who think we are justified by how good we are and our works.. n effect. Progressive sanctification is your purgatory.

Reactions: Gospel Believer

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello @Episkopos,

Thinking about your post, from childhood those who are able to get to school and get and education, grow and learn over time, learning about subjects, involving math, science, history, English, which overall is to help people grow and learn at least not only in those subject but reading and learning how to do homework which helps grow the knowledge and also reputation helps information stick in the mind.

From my experiences as a sinner; thank God for him, and as I needing of his mercy. Is that even though I fall short; God doesn’t leave, or give up on me; he is always there to talk to, and to pray to about your family, friends, enemies and situations that come about in one’s life. And even though that my flesh is intact deserving of death. Christian’s are to become baptized in the death of the messiah. That would mean carrying their own cross to go and also die with him, and become buried with him. That is to die to the flesh, die to sin, becoming alive by the spirit more unto God by faith and seeking him and having relationship. Nothing my flesh has ever done was good; the only good that ever came out of it is when my soul (mind/will/emotions) are focused on heavenly things, asking the Fsther to guide me by what the spirit creates within our hearts and minds.

Amen
It’s only by reading the Bible that one grows and over time; does or can indeed become more sanctified in Christ by building on the Chief cornerstones foundation laid forth by the apostles.

Most people will build with untried materials....like wood, hay and stubble. And even if we do build with eternal materials...that's still not holiness. That is the righteousness of saints.
Sometimes faith foundations can be crumpled down to the ground; if they are not set upon the chief cornerstone which holds up everything else and whom is the head of the church, Jesus.

I believe it’s in Hebrews the writer talks to the Jews, where it talks about God will shake everything down; and that means man’s ideas, even their faith they may have when they are seeking and have to questing them selves. Where nothing that can be shaken will remain; the things that are unshakable are founded on spirits principles; founded in God who is Spirit, and founded in the foundation of the word of God who is the chief cornerstone of the way of being able to have access to the Father by faith.

Amen once again. God purges out what is unrighteous in us....if we let Him.
The more a person grows and their mind is renewed; sanctification does happen over time;
No one can become more holy over time. I think you mean more mature in righteousness. Paul says we are to be instructed in righteousness. Nowhere in the bible are we told to learn holiness.

but that does not a person will never fall into sin again or missing the mark for whatever one may have on their mind about doing evil or to harm others. Remember give your thoughts to God and allows him to help you by the spirit in any given situation he is there to talk to.

The father be with you in Jesus name.
Amen!

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No they do not

Because we are justified freely. My progressing sanctification does not help me get to heaven, My justification does

Again, You hurt your own belief. It is you who think we are justified by how good we are and our works.. n effect. Progressive sanctification is your purgatory.
Always the my, my, my....Judge nothing before the time. No one in a race is guaranteed a good outcome. You are in a race even if you spend the time napping under a tree, convinced of your having already won.

You can't make people wise.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Many have been taught that sanctification is a process.
Well since the Bible says that it is a process, you are inventing your own theology (as usual). Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. (Phil 2:12)

NIV: continue to work out your salvation
BEAREAN STUDY BIBLE: continue to work out your salvation
INTERNATIONAL STANDARD VERSION: continue to work out your salvation

Several other translations also add "continue". While that word in not in the Greek text, it would seem that a large number of translations believe that it is implied. And to continue to do something means that it is a process. So once again your false theology has been debunked. Also since Paul says "..for it is God which worketh IN YOU..." that means that a Christian is automatically "walking with God". It is a given.

John Gill sums up the meaning of working out your salvation as follows: ...a discharge of every branch of moral, spiritual, and evangelical obedience for which the apostle before commends them, and now exhorts them to continue in; to go on in a course of cheerful obedience to the close of their days, believing in Christ, obeying his Gospel, attending constantly to his word and ordinances, and discharging every duty in faith and fear...

Once again "to continue in" is a process, and this is the process of sanctification.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Again wrong

once again get out of your english translation and dig deeper

perfected in the greek is a verb, in the perfect tense. And active. It means it is a complete action. That continues

Being sanctified is not a perfect verb, it is a present tense verb, which means it s ongoing

It your not willing to study what the words mean, I can not help you

Hebrews 10:14​

King James Version​

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

If its present tense then it isn't happening in the future. Give it some thought.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always the my, my, my....Judge nothing before the time. No one in a race is guaranteed a good outcome. You are in a race even if you spend the time napping under a tree, convinced of your having already won.

You can't make people wise.
See how you twist thing?

Where did I say my my my My faith is in christ.

Your the one who trusts yourself..

God guaranteed a good outcome to those who come to him, Hr gave th spirit in our heart guaranteeing tht outcome

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hello @Episkopos

It is about becoming more like Christ, and as Christian’s aren’t they called to be different / the what they look towards as far is the heart? The word holy means set apart; and people who come to faith are set apart from those who either reject or have not come to become adopted and part of the kingdom of God with him adopting them and becoming their Father.

Therefore there is change overtime in a persons life spiritually in which they build up treasures in heaven, walk by faith not by sight, asking God to help them. The darkness of the heart becomes more light with in as Jesus moves in.

There must be an ongoing process here that will never end until we actually die and leave this world.

To choose to serve our own flesh or to serve God; putting God first or not is up to the person. Just as loving their neighbor is a choice and by the spirit it is possible to live with peace with others no matter their background, or what they done in their life because of the Lord.

• Love
Reactions: APAK

Laurina

Feb 28, 2023
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
lol. Man, you just go all out don‘t you? Show one post where I have claimed I justify myself.
You said it this morning!!

Post #119 at 7:25A.M. March 14, 2023 @Eternally Grateful Posted:

"I am the same

saved
child of God
Adopted
Redeemed by his blood
Justified
Sanctified
given an inheritance that will not fade away
Made joint heirs with Christ
sealed by the Holy Spirit
Have the promise I will never die, never hunger, never thirst, live forever. and be raised on the lkast day."

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One more interesting thing, is when Jesus spoke on the mount of olives he speaks of the spiritual progression of the Christian; and even those who are doing good spiritually can always fall back down to being poor in spirit. So this is also something to consider too @Episkopos:.

All through the life of being with God there will be up’s and downs spiritually, it seems life, and through experience one does progress in their experience and tend to gain wisdom and knowledge and learn about God and the Son will be better off than the person who refused to take that time out to spend with God; though God desire to help them. And conforming to Christ is how becoming dead to sin is; to become alive spiritually and live towards God and the Lord, being raised again into newness of life.

• Love
Reactions: APAK

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well since the Bible says that it is a process, you are inventing your own theology (as usual). Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. (Phil 2:12)

NIV: continue to work out your salvation
BEAREAN STUDY BIBLE: continue to work out your salvation
INTERNATIONAL STANDARD VERSION: continue to work out your salvation

Salvation is a process. But sanctification is not. You do realize that salvation and sanctification are not the same?
Several other translations also add "continue". While that word in not in the Greek text, it would seem that a large number of translations believe that it is implied. And to continue to do something means that it is a process. So once again your false theology has been debunked. Also since Paul says "..for it is God which worketh IN YOU..." that means that a Christian is automatically "walking with God". It is a given.

You need a thesaurus along with your bible. A false theology...? No a bad understanding on your part.
John Gill sums up the meaning of working out your salvation as follows: ...a discharge of every branch of moral, spiritual, and evangelical obedience for which the apostle before commends them, and now exhorts them to continue in; to go on in a course of cheerful obedience to the close of their days, believing in Christ, obeying his Gospel, attending constantly to his word and ordinances, and discharging every duty in faith and fear...

Once again "to continue in" is a process, and this is the process of sanctification.
You put your trust in the theology of men. And then you say I'm the one with bad theology. You are a piece of work!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification (or in its verb form, sanctify) literally means "to set apart for special use or purpose", that is, to make holy or sacred(compare Latin: sanctus). Therefore, sanctification refers to the state or process of being set apart, i.e. "made holy", as a vessel, full of the Holy Spirit of God. The concept of sanctification is widespread among religions, including Judaism and especially Christianity. The term can be used to refer to objects which are set apart for special purposes, but the most common use within Christian theology is in reference to the change brought about by God in a believer, begun at the point of salvation and continuing throughout the life of the believer. Many forms of Christianity believe that this process will only be completed in Heaven, but some believe that complete holiness is possible in this life.

Reactions: Keturah

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One more interesting thing, is when Jesus spoke on the mount of olives he speaks of the spiritual progression of the Christian; and even those who are doing good spiritually can always fall back down to being poor in spirit. So this is also something to consider too @Episkopos:.

All through the life of being with God there will be up’s and downs spiritually, it seems life, and through experience one does progress in their experience and tend to gain wisdom and knowledge and learn about God and the Son will be better off than the person who refused to take that time out to spend with God; though God desire to help them. And conforming to Christ is how becoming dead to sin is; to become alive spiritually and live towards God and the Lord, being raised again into newness of life.
You do realize that growing in wisdom, understanding and knowledge is recorded in the OT?

Holiness is by translation to walk in Christ...who knew no sin.

OT holiness is about a vessel used ONLY for God. As soon as it is used for something else...something temporal...it is no longer holy.

can you say you ONLY do what you see Jesus doing? Only?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sanctification (or in its verb form, sanctify) literally means "to set apart for special use or purpose", that is, to make holy or sacred(compare Latin: sanctus). Therefore, sanctification refers to the state or process of being set apart, i.e. "made holy", as a vessel, full of the Holy Spirit of God. The concept of sanctification is widespread among religions, including Judaism and especially Christianity. The term can be used to refer to objects which are set apart for special purposes, but the most common use within Christian theology is in reference to the change brought about by God in a believer, begun at the point of salvation and continuing throughout the life of the believer. Many forms of Christianity believe that this process will only be completed in Heaven, but some believe that complete holiness is possible in this life.
We are born again in a sample of holiness. And when we are filled with the Spirit we are holy as our life source proceeds from God.

Holiness is the gift of His presence. No one works their way slowly into a gift.

IN Christ we bear HIS holiness.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do realize that growing in wisdom, understanding and knowledge is recorded in the OT?

Holiness is by translation to walk in Christ...who knew no sin.

OT holiness is about a vessel used ONLY for God. As soon as it is used for something else...something temporal...it is no longer holy.

can you say you ONLY do what you see Jesus doing? Only?
When it comes to Jesus no one is able like him. However the more you grow and learn and glenn information off of the written records and also follow up with the history and information also given about the times during acts, and all the way up to revelation.

Accordingly as Paul states it to the Saints who were written to in Rome that;

“Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. For by the grace given to me I bid every one among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith which God has assigned him. For as in one body we have many members, and all the members do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; he who teaches, in his teaching; he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who contributes, in liberality; he who gives aid, with zeal; he who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with brotherly affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Never flag in zeal, be aglow with the Spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints, practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; never be conceited. Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends upon you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” No, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12‬:‭2‬-‭21‬ ‭RSV‬‬

Peter wrote in his second letter possibly to the first ones he addresses in his first letter this saying;

“Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours in the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, that through these you may escape from the corruption that is in the world because of passion, and become partakers of the divine nature. For this very reason make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these things are yours and abound, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭8‬ ‭RSV‬‬

There at least to me @Episkopos seems to be a process; and those who are able to have access to the Bible which almost nearly every house may have one in side, and to grow and learn about Christ and become conformed to him in his death and sufferings to live for God and to love God and to love others faithfully even if one lost their own life.

People are set aside and set apart from the earth whom are followers of the Lord. Yes they may have jobs and take care of their earthly affairs but they have faith and they are adopted children of God even Sons and Daughters of God who walk faithfully, in fellowship with the Father and the Son.

In which reading the Bible helps renew the mind and heart and the effects are done by reading and hearing the word which brings forth faith.

If there is no process; there should be no effort being made at all to continue to grow and know God which according to Jesus said “to know Him and the one whom he had sent is life enteral”, therefore more process of growing and learning even by experiences is needed in the lives of individuals.

If, of course they desire that in their own lives; someone may be alone out there with no fellowship; my encouragement keep reading the Bible and know that God does care and that he had given you to the spirit and you can pray to the Father in Jesus name, about all your issues no matter how horrible it could be.

(It’s not about our works of course: everything spiritually working that is good and from the heavens is credit to the Father, and the Lord and the Holy Spirit pours the love of God in one’s heart which is of course to love God and to love others). Jesus and his works are what brings up right before God; and Jesus works through us by manifestation of the spirit within that is born again and decides to be conformed to him and his ways; by the spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johann

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When it comes to Jesus no one is able like him. However the more you grow and learn and glenn information off of the written records and also follow up with the history and information also given about the times during acts, and all the way up to revelation.

Accordingly as Paul states it to the Saints who were written to in Rome that;

Peter wrote in his second letter possibly to the first ones he addresses in his first letter this saying;

There at least to me @Episkopos seems to be a process; and those who are able to have access to the Bible which almost nearly every house may have one in side, and to grow and learn about Christ and become conformed to him in his death and sufferings to live for God and to love God and to love others faithfully even if one lost their own life.

People are set aside and set apart from the earth whom are followers of the Lord. Yes they may have jobs and take care of their earthly affairs but they have faith and they are adopted children of God even Sons and Daughters of God who walk faithfully, in fellowship with the Father and the Son.

In which reading the Bible helps renew the mind and heart and the effects are done by reading and hearing the word which brings forth faith.

If there is no process; there should be no effort being made at all to continue to grow and know God which according to Jesus said “to know Him and the one whom he had sent is life enteral”, therefore more process of growing and learning even by experiences is needed in the lives of individuals.

If, of course they desire that in their own lives; someone may be alone out there with no fellowship; my encouragement keep reading the Bible and know that God does care and that he had given you to the spirit and you can pray to the Father in Jesus name, about all your issues no matter how horrible it could be.
The process is one of salvation...as in...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

If we could grow into holiness the bible would make that clear. However, we can't grow into something that is out of our reach. Holiness is by the gift of grace...a gift you don't work for.

So then the idea of a progressive sanctification is based on works rather than grace.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It takes a few minutes to fill a car with gas. How long does it take to fill a person with the Spirit? A person who is filled with the Spirit..the HOLY Spirit...is holy.

Now can you say that to be filled with the Spirit takes a lifetime?...or does it happen in a flash! ???

Reactions: faithfulness

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said it this morning!!

Post #119 at 7:25A.M. March 14, 2023 @Eternally Grateful Posted:

"I am the same

saved
child of God
Adopted
Redeemed by his blood
Justified
Sanctified
given an inheritance that will not fade away
Made joint heirs with Christ
sealed by the Holy Spirit
Have the promise I will never die, never hunger, never thirst, live forever. and be raised on the lkast day."
I said I was justified

Please show me where i said I justified myself?