Sanctification is not a Process

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified

Hebrews 2:11
For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren
Amen so much for the higher walk by being translated , beamed up , transported or teleported lol.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again wrong

once again get out of your english translation and dig deeper

perfected in the greek is a verb, in the perfect tense. And active. It means it is a complete action. That continues

Being sanctified is not a perfect verb, it is a present tense verb, which means it s ongoing

It your not willing to study what the words mean, I can not help you
I was under the understanding someone claimed to know the original languages yet missed the simple verb forms in the Greek.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you would know I’m not a Calvinist nor do I believe any of their distinctives which make one a Calvinist . I reject all of tulip, their view on sovereignty, determinism, predestination etc …
Yes, I know you left Calvinism a year or so ago.
But you took Epi‘s post to be synergism (actually he does think God expects something from those He gives to so there is a bit of working together or…response or synergism in the Bible), so your unvoiced complaint seemed to me to be the thought that God expects anything from a man He gives to to be bad in some way - and THAT is what I took to be some sort of dregs of Calvinism.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was under the understanding someone claimed to know the original languages yet missed the simple verb forms in the Greek.
if the greek proves you wrong. and being proven wrong is against you. You will ignore it.. Its called looking past it. or ignoring it hoping it will go away.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I know you left Calvinism a year or so ago.
But you took Epi‘s post to be synergism (actually he does think God expects something from those He gives to so there is a bit of working together or…response or synergism in the Bible), so your unvoiced complaint seemed to me to be the thought that God expects anything from a man He gives to to be bad in some way - and THAT is what I took to be some sort of dregs of Calvinism.
I never said anything one way or the other about what the other person believes regarding Synergism or Monergism .
If you are going to make claims about me atleast be accurate about what I did and did not say.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said anything one way or the other about what the other person believes regarding Synergism or Monergism .
If you are going to make claims about me atleast be accurate about what I did and did not say.
When I say “seemed/seems” to be or “it seems to me that” or something in that vein, and you begin nonsense like saying I’m making false claims about you, or any nonsense along that vein, I’m going to stop responding because it shows me - and here I am definitely claiming something - that you have brawling as your motive. Otherwise, you would have read more thoughtfully and seen I was saying “seems to me.”

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I say “seemed/seems” to be or “it seems to me that” or something in that vein, and you begin nonsense like saying I’m making false claims about you, or any nonsense along that vein, I’m going to stop responding because it shows me - and here I am definitely claiming something - that you have brawling as your motive.
I have never in my 20 plus years ever read a female who posts like you . I have my doubts. I know of dozens upon dozens of men who do but I have never seen a woman post like this. Things that make you go hmmmm.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never in my 20 plus years ever read a female who posts like you . I have my doubts. I know of dozens upon dozens of men who do but I have never seen a woman post like this. Things that make you go hmmmm.
Off topic, not edifying, flaming/goading and any number of other ugly things. You just didn’t like that what I said was true about you not reading thoughtfully.

Reactions: Episkopos

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.christianityboard.com/threads/how-to-walk-in-righteousness.54427/post-1541709[/URL]

Eph 4:13...yes I agree with your interpretation although to include and not limit, at that point we will build each other in love, although I believe we will be doing this continuously when we actually have the FULL knowledge of Christ whilst living in immortality in the Kingdom of God.

We do not have the full knowledge of Christ as I believe this is what Paul is pointing to as a goal not attained here whilst on earth. And I only see fragments and spurts of this love build up today amongst those in the Body Christ; and that is a great start for sure. And when it comes to me into my heart from others, I feel it in my bones and soul, it is real and a lovely experience.

[B]And then yes Christ at that point and not even at that point, he is able to build us up today,[/B] although seeing the fragmentation of doctrines and divisions it does not seem real to me. Of course who am I to know the future....

I hope we can now appreciate what wolves in sheep clothing look like today and as spoken about in the next verse of verse 14. It is so real and yet I do feel insulated in not falling for these types of deceptions from spirits that resist God and his Son. As I'm truly thankful and praise my Father and my Saviour they have been by my side as with you and others in these lively discussions lately. We can discern these dangers and we must trumpet them throughout the Body of Christ, to all the lands and people of God.

As [USER=8550]@mailmandan
recently said as a quote I have pinned in my heart for some time....Acts 20:28

(Act 20:28) Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. (ESV)

Amen

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many have been taught that sanctification is a process. But this is a smokescreen. No one gets holier with time. Maybe just holier than thou.

The Catholics also have a smokescreen. They call it "purgatory". But it's the same scheme....only with a different approach

What is the scheme? It is a reference to a denial that we can walk with God in holiness in THIS life...by grace through faith. That is our salvation. To walk with God as Jesus walked. No one does that gradually...it's not by works. It is a gift given to all who surrender themselves fully to God.

There are two paths we can follow...according to the ways of God. These are the ancient paths to walk in.

The way of righteousness. This way is the way of humility, honesty, brokenness and the fear of the Lord. This is the low road

The way of holiness in Christ: This is the narrow way that very few will find. This is the way of resurrection life...to walk as Jesus walked. This is the high road

Now, most believers walk in neither the low road nor the high road...(neither hot nor cold) instead they try to raise themselves up through a religious process...exemplified by Babylon.

The way up is actually down. Only God translates people into the higher walk. No one attains it over time.

We are to receive with MEEKNESS the implanted word. But that's not what happens, in most cases. In most cases a person who begins well gets seduced into placing themselves in a much higher place than they ought to. Let no one esteem himself higher than he should.

All religious efforts end the same way.
Here is the actual biblical view which is in opposition to your “ opinion “

1 Corinthians 1:30

“From him [God] we are in Christ Jesus, who has become wisdom to us from God, our righteousness and sanctification and redemption.”

Hebrews 12:14

Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.

Ephesians 5:25-27

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church [q]in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.

1 Thessalonians 3:12-13

to the establishing your hearts blameless in sanctification before our God and Father, in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints.

Strong's Concordance
hagiasmos: consecration, sanctification
Original Word: ἁγιασμός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: hagiasmos
Phonetic Spelling: (hag-ee-as-mos')
Definition: consecration, sanctification
Usage: the process of making or becoming holy, set apart, sanctification, holiness, consecration.

HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 38 hagiasmós (a masculine noun derived from 40 /hágios, "holy") – sanctification (the process of advancing in holiness); use of the believer being progressively transformed by the Lord into His likeness (similarity of nature). See 40 /hagios ("holy").

We are to live holy in this present life and below we read there is a past, present and future aspect to our sanctification.

“From him we are in Christ Jesus, who has become wisdom to us from God, our righteousness and sanctification and redemption.”

Hebrews 12:14
Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.

Ephesians 5:25-27
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church q]">[q]in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.

1 Thessalonians 3:12-13
to the establishing your hearts blameless in sanctification before our God and Father, in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints.

1 Thessalonians 4:3 N-NMS
GRK: θεοῦ ὁ ἁγιασμὸς ὑμῶν ἀπέχεσθαι
NAS: of God, your sanctification; [that is], that you abstain
KJV: [even] your sanctification, that ye
INT: of God the sanctification of you to abstain

1 Thessalonians 4:4 N-DMS
GRK: κτᾶσθαι ἐν ἁγιασμῷ καὶ τιμῇ
NAS: vessel in sanctification and honor,
KJV: vessel in sanctification and honour;
INT: to possess in holiness and honor

1 Thessalonians 4:7 N-DMS
GRK: ἀλλ' ἐν ἁγιασμῷ
NAS: us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification.
KJV: but unto holiness.
INT: but in sanctification

2 Thessalonians 2:13 N-DMS
GRK: σωτηρίαν ἐν ἁγιασμῷ πνεύματος καὶ
NAS: through sanctification by the Spirit
KJV: through sanctification of the Spirit
INT: salvation in sanctification of [the] Spirit and

1 Timothy 2:15 N-DMS
GRK: ἀγάπῃ καὶ ἁγιασμῷ μετὰ σωφροσύνης
NAS: and love and sanctity with self-restraint.
KJV: charity and holiness with sobriety.
INT: love and sanctification with self-restraint

Hebrews 12:14 N-AMS
GRK: καὶ τὸν ἁγιασμόν οὗ χωρὶς
NAS: with all men, and the sanctification without
KJV: all [men], and holiness, without which
INT: and the holiness which apart from

1 Peter 1:2 N-DMS
GRK: πατρός ἐν ἁγιασμῷ πνεύματος εἰς
NAS: the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit,
KJV: through sanctification of the Spirit,
INT: [the] Father by sanctification of [the] Spirit unto

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Keturah

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the actual biblical view which is in opposition to your “ opinion “

“From him [God] we are in Christ Jesus, who has become wisdom to us from God, our righteousness and sanctification and redemption.”
You are entitled to your interpretation and opinion of scripture too, of course.
Something interesting I’ve found in the Greek of this verse is that it seems more to say something like…called into His community. We are in Jesus isn’t an extremely accurate rendering of the Greek. The Greek seems to me to denote a …corporate sort of community rather than to be used along with verses on walking in the Spirit.
Just an interesting aside I found. Not to do with sanctification per se.

Reactions: Episkopos

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another thought - “has become for us” wisdom, sanctification, etc. - doesn’t necessarily mean we are steeped in wisdom from day one of receiving the down payment of the Spirit. There’s still the renewing of the mind and learning what is right in Gods eyes. It doesn’t even mean we are incapable of turning away from the calling, cleansing, plowing, etc. We stumble many times, dirty our feet, get a little sideways as we begin to learn what is right/righteousness in Gods eyes.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are entitled to your interpretation and opinion of scripture too, of course.
Something interesting I’ve found in the Greek of this verse is that it seems more to say something like…called into His community. We are in Jesus isn’t an extremely accurate rendering of the Greek. The Greek seems to me to denote a …corporate sort of community rather than to be used along with verses on walking in the Spirit.
Just an interesting aside I found. Not to do with sanctification per se.
Anything man-made or man-interpreted relies on opinions. However, the bible is speaking of something very real. More real than real. Those who indulge private interpretations usually only have a very partial experience and understand. Because these don't know what's missing, and refuse to be open and teachable...they form factions that eventually turn into denominational divisions.

The irony is that the Reformation prided itself on refusing to hold tradition on the same level as scripture. Yet all these denominations hold to their "tradition" of bible interpretation.

What these usually share are common misunderstandings....since they rely on opinions...which get in the way of any further growth in understanding. Will these increase in holiness? The real question is whether they will be able to grow in any kind of maturity at all.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace