Saturday is Sabbath day...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
Gen 2:2-3
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
KJV
In context please explain this scripture? If you can without coveluting it into something it is not. I still wonder why you consistantly teach pagan worship against the Word of God.
humble servant of the Lord God Most High

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Gen 2:2-3
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
KJV
In context please explain this scripture? If you can without coveluting it into something it is not. I still wonder why you consistantly teach pagan worship against the Word of God.

John 5:16-18

16 For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, "My Father has been working until now, and I have been working." 18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

"My Father has been working until now, and I have been working."

Your are trying to make a Religion out of God's word which is exactly the error of The Scribes and Pharisee's.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:39-40

If you chose to spend your time seeking Him, to be with Him, to love Him and cleave to Him, to worship Him and spend time in His presence in order to learn from Him, you would know your pursuit of trying to keep the law or parts of the law is futile.

HE IS YOUR SABBATH. HE IS YOUR EXCEEDINGLY GREAT REWARD!

Seek to walk with God, like Enoch. Seek to be filled with His Spirit, and you will find the rest your soul longs for.

JLB

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
JLB,
You did not show in context any different meaning for the scripture that I posted, you just tryed to obscure the words with your conjecture of what you think scripture says. Please show scripture that specifically designates Christ as your Sabbath and it must be specific with no conjecture allowed. We keep the Sabbaths because we love Him and are doing His will not to gain salvation. If you have Faith and Belief you will do the same things that he did, not for reward but just because you love Him. He kept all of the Holy Days and all of the regular Sabbaths without fail and never broke any of the Sabbath commandments. He did break the traditions of the elders or oral traditions, but none of the comandments of God. You teach false doctrine and it is not even yours, but that of the Papacy, who brought all of the paganism into Christanity and caused many to fall from Grace. The warning in Revelation to come out of her is to you as one of the false prophets here. A teacher is held to much higher standards than others are, so you should actually read scripture as it is written without any of your traditions in mind and it will become clear as to the truth of scripture. I use to be a Sunday worshiper, until I did just that. I actually read the whole book without any preconceptions
and the truth became much clearer to me. I now reread the whole book in 8-9 months from cover to cover repedly without end.
I remember saying in my head, not alowed, "I would not do that" and I got an answer that was not from me, but I heard it as plainly as my words. It shook me so badly that I cryed and fell down. Later I fugured that it might have been me all along until it happened again and then I was convenced that He was telling me how weak in Faith I actually was and from that moment on I have studdied His word dilligently. Using my concordance and interlineary I now have a much stronger Faith and knowledge than I use to. If the Master speaks to you in verbal form you can not forget it forever.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
JLB,
You did not show in context any different meaning for the scripture that I posted, you just tryed to obscure the words with your conjecture of what you think scripture says. Please show scripture that specifically designates Christ as your Sabbath and it must be specific with no conjecture allowed. We keep the Sabbaths because we love Him and are doing His will not to gain salvation. If you have Faith and Belief you will do the same things that he did, not for reward but just because you love Him. He kept all of the Holy Days and all of the regular Sabbaths without fail and never broke any of the Sabbath commandments. He did break the traditions of the elders or oral traditions, but none of the comandments of God. You teach false doctrine and it is not even yours, but that of the Papacy, who brought all of the paganism into Christanity and caused many to fall from Grace. The warning in Revelation to come out of her is to you as one of the false prophets here. A teacher is held to much higher standards than others are, so you should actually read scripture as it is written without any of your traditions in mind and it will become clear as to the truth of scripture. I use to be a Sunday worshiper, until I did just that. I actually read the whole book without any preconceptions
and the truth became much clearer to me. I now reread the whole book in 8-9 months from cover to cover repedly without end.
I remember saying in my head, not alowed, "I would not do that" and I got an answer that was not from me, but I heard it as plainly as my words. It shook me so badly that I cryed and fell down. Later I fugured that it might have been me all along until it happened again and then I was convenced that He was telling me how weak in Faith I actually was and from that moment on I have studdied His word dilligently. Using my concordance and interlineary I now have a much stronger Faith and knowledge than I use to. If the Master speaks to you in verbal form you can not forget it forever.

"My Father has been working until now, and I have been working."

1. - These are not my words, they are the words of Jesus.

3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest,' " although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. Hebrews 4:3

Jesus, fulfilled all the Law. My life is hidden in Christ. He is my righteousness!

That's the good news.

JLB

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
In 12 pages, what more can be said?

Colossians 2:16-17 LITV
(16) Then do not let anyone judge you in eating, or in drinking, or in part of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,
(17) which are a shadow of coming things, but the body is of Christ.

Your Savior is here, but you can't get your eyes off of His shadow.

Love in Christ,
Mark

How many of the feasts have you kept in Jerusalem?

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
JLB,
You did not show in context any different meaning for the scripture that I posted, you just tryed to obscure the words with your conjecture of what you think scripture says. Please show scripture that specifically designates Christ as your Sabbath and it must be specific with no conjecture allowed. We keep the Sabbaths because we love Him and are doing His will not to gain salvation.
O really? You are not doing it to gain salvation? Then why do you insist that those who do not worship on Saturday cannot or wiil not be saved? You are using that threat to motivate us. You know full well that you believe if you stop this practice you will suffer God's wrath. You are only fooling yourself about your motivation. If you are not doing it to be saved, then why are you telling us to do it to be saved?
If you have Faith and Belief you will do the same things that he did, not for reward but just because you love Him.
On the contrary, if one has the Son, (he who has the Son has life), one will love others as Christ did. One can certainly do all the law as much as humanly possible for all the wrong reasons. Keeping the law in itself does not prove love for the Master. One can serve Him out of fear. One can keep the law as a way of ensuring one's own well being. This is not love. This is self serving. Faith is the means by which we receive His life and nature within. It is only then that a person can express outwardly what is on the inside. This can be genuine or it can be mimicked. The way that this can be determined is through observing what is coming out of the person's mouth. One's true motive will ultimately reveal itself.
He kept all of the Holy Days and all of the regular Sabbaths without fail and never broke any of the Sabbath commandments. He did break the traditions of the elders or oral traditions, but none of the comandments of God. You teach false doctrine and it is not even yours, but that of the Papacy, who brought all of the paganism into Christanity and caused many to fall from Grace. The warning in Revelation to come out of her is to you as one of the false prophets here. A teacher is held to much higher standards than others are, so you should actually read scripture as it is written without any of your traditions in mind and it will become clear as to the truth of scripture. I use to be a Sunday worshiper, until I did just that. I actually read the whole book without any preconceptions
If the Master speaks to me, He will not contradict what He has inspired to be written. Voices can come from one's own subconscious (heart), or from another source.
We are reminded in scripture that we love Him because He first loved us. Real love for Him comes from a response to His love. It does not come from the threat of His wrath. If you want to inspire love for Jesus, then the biblcal way is to convey His great love for us. What I am hearing is that we are being threatened. This will not inspire love. Fear, maybe. One cannot say he obeys Jesus out of love and then turn to others and give another motivation altogether for their obedience. Love does not seek its own.

In my humble opinion, the motivation you use on us reveals your own possible heart's motives, no matter what you insist to the contrary.
Sorry, my friend. In His love, Howie

Axehead

May 9, 2012
HOW THE LAW IS "ABOLISHED" for THOSE IN CHRIST - Part I

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first OLD. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
OLD
palaio
pal-ah-yo'-o
From G3820; to make (passively become) worn out, or declare obsolete: - decay, make (wax) old.

Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a CHANGE also of the law.
CHANGE
metathesis
met-ath'-es-is
disestablishment ( of a law): - change, removing, translation.

The 10 commandments were part of the Old Covenant Law.

And here, you will find that the Law engraven on stones (10 commandments) was done away. It was referred to as a ministration of death. In 2 Cor 3, Paul is comparing the New Covenant with the Old Covenant.

2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2Co 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousnessexceed in glory.
2Co 3:10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.

Now, stay with the context. Paul is about to tell you the Old Testament (or Covenant) of which the commandments were engraven in stone (see 2 Cor 3:7) is DONE AWAY. That sounds like ABOLISHED to me and agrees with the Greek from above.

2Co 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

And here, we see Paul speaking with PLAINNESS of speech.
2Co 3:12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
2Co 3:13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
END
metathesis
met-ath'-es-is
disestablishment (of a law): - change, removing, translation.

Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
TAKETH AWAY
anaire
an-ahee-reh'-o
to take up, that is, adopt; by implication to take away (violently), that is, abolish, murder: - put to death, kill, slay, take away, take up.

Rom. 8:1-4: “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.” “ For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God {did:} sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and {as an offering} for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit”.

Notice what the law could not do! The law had a purpose and there are some things it cannot do. It cannot justify, it cannot change a heart of a sinner, it can only make one guilty, it can’t pardon or redeem or save. It was the weakness of the flesh that prevented it, so it can only bring conviction, guilt and curse. What it could not accomplish the Son of God did by condemning sin in the flesh and fulfilled it himself, because he alone could live the law perfectly.

If we are not under law, our sin cannot be held against us.

In Part II, I will show you how the one in Christ is freed from the Law even though the LAW cannot actually die and never will until "heaven and earth pass away". And through God's amazing providence, how the law is abolished for those that are in Christ.

Rom.10:4-5 Truly “ Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.”
Our new life begins and ends in Christ not in the Old Covenant of law.

There is only one law we are under and required to follow: The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus

AxeHead

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
I think the word of God tells us that we are not to be concerned about the subject of this thread.

Romans 14:3-6
3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him.
4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
NKJV

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
I imagine most of you call your self Protestants, so you need to look at prophesy and determine who the Church is that experiences the fall in Revelation. The Catholic Church fell from conception leaving the Protestant Churches the only ones who did not experience the fall at that time. So, now who is it that is experiencing the fall right now? The three angels messages are going out right now to all who will hear. Are you one who will hear? Only 10% of Christians will be saved as God always keeps a rememinate for Himself and if you are familiar with scripture you will see this is true. In 70AD when the Roman Army slaughtered 1.3 million Jews none of the Christian converts were there. 10% would make the number 130,000 which is most probably the number by that time as they multiplyed rapidly after Pentacost. Why were they not there? They knew and heeded the warnings in prophesy to leave Jerusalem when the signs were shown. The Roman Army arrived in 64 AD and then left for another place of war. This is the sign that they were told of and they left without any reservations. The three angels message is now going out to you, will you "come out of her my people"? God thought Israel was hard hearted or stiffnecked, but you still fight against Him for your Catholic doctrine, why? It is no secret that the Catholic Church fell from conception and her daughters will suffer the same fate as she will in the tribulation. You need to understand that the Protestant Churches are the daughters of the Papal Church, as they have accepted her doctrine as their own, for which the Catholic priests laugh at you for. I have read many different accounts of them laughing at all of you for saying you are different and accepting their doctrine anyway. You are a laughing stock to them and a shame to God, as you still hold to His name while accepting paganism into your doctrine. This is what israel did when they fell from grace. They tried to keep the name of God while paganizing His worship just as you are donig now.
humble servant of the Lord God Most high

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
I imagine most of you call your self Protestants, so you need to look at prophesy and determine who the Church is that experiences the fall in Revelation. The Catholic Church fell from conception leaving the Protestant Churches the only ones who did not experience the fall at that time. So, now who is it that is experiencing the fall right now? The three angels messages are going out right now to all who will hear. Are you one who will hear? Only 10% of Christians will be saved as God always keeps a rememinate for Himself and if you are familiar with scripture you will see this is true. In 70AD when the Roman Army slaughtered 1.3 million Jews none of the Christian converts were there. 10% would make the number 130,000 which is most probably the number by that time as they multiplyed rapidly after Pentacost. Why were they not there? They knew and heeded the warnings in prophesy to leave Jerusalem when the signs were shown. The Roman Army arrived in 64 AD and then left for another place of war. This is the sign that they were told of and they left without any reservations. The three angels message is now going out to you, will you "come out of her my people"? God thought Israel was hard hearted or stiffnecked, but you still fight against Him for your Catholic doctrine, why? It is no secret that the Catholic Church fell from conception and her daughters will suffer the same fate as she will in the tribulation. You need to understand that the Protestant Churches are the daughters of the Papal Church, as they have accepted her doctrine as their own, for which the Catholic priests laugh at you for. I have read many different accounts of them laughing at all of you for saying you are different and accepting their doctrine anyway. You are a laughing stock to them and a shame to God, as you still hold to His name while accepting paganism into your doctrine. This is what israel did when they fell from grace. They tried to keep the name of God while paganizing His worship just as you are donig now.
humble servant of the Lord God Most high

Everybody that gives you scripture after scripture after scripture in the subject matter of this thread seems to get the same response from you.

Rambling and mumbling with opinions and accusations about the papacy and the Roman Catholic Church.

You have not given any scriptural response or answered the many scriptures given to you.

Saturday is the sabbath. Please go to church on Saturday. Make sure you drive across town and spend your Saturday going to your "church".

Where are your scriptures that validate your belief.

JLB

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether you care to acknowledge it or not, most Protestants are following Catholic doctrine rather than the Bible regarding the Sabbath:

The Catholic Cardinal Gibbons, in Faith of Our Fathers, pg. 111, said, "You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we (The Roman Catholic Church) never sanctify.

The Catholic Mirror (a publication by Cardinal Gibbons) Sept. 2, 1893- "...the Redeemer, during His mortal life, never kept any other day than Saturday."

The Catholic Mirror Sept. 9, 1893- "Nor can we imagine any one foolhardy enough to question the identity of Saturday with the Sabbath or seventh day, seeing that the people of Israel have been keeping the Saturday from the giving of the Law, A.M., 2514 to A.D. 1893 (to the present day)..."

Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Converts Catechism of Catholic Doctrine Third Edition"1). Question: Which is the Sabbath day? "Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day. 2). "Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?"Answer. "We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church in the Council of Laodicea, transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Martin J. Scott- Things Catholics Are Asked About (1927) "Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that worship should be changed from Saturday to Sunday .... Now the Church ... instituted, by God's authority, Sunday as the day of worship. This same Church, by the same divine authority, taught the doctrine of Purgatory long before the Bible was made. We have, therefore, the same authority for Purgatory as we have for Sunday."

Protestant- Canon Eyton,- The Ten Commandments "There is no word, no hint, in the New Testament about abstaining from work on Sunday .... into the rest of Sunday no divine law enters .... The observance of Ash Wednesday or Lent stands exactly on the same footing as the observance of Sunday."

Episcopal - 'The Bible commandment says on the seventh day thou shalt rest. That is Saturday. Nowhere in the Bible is it laid down that worship should be done on Sunday." Philip Carrington, Toronto Daily Star, October 26, 1949.

Baptist - Harold Lindsell, former editor of Christianity , said, 'There is nothing in Scripture that requires us to keep Sunday rather than Saturday as a holy day." Christianity Today, November 5, 1976.

John Theodore Mueller (a Lutheran) - Sabbath or Sunday- "But they err in teaching that Sunday has taken the place of the Old Testament Sabbath and therefore must be kept as the seventh day had to be kept by the children of Israel .... These churches err in their teaching, for Scripture has in no way ordained the first day of the week in place of the Sabbath. There is simply no law in the New Testament to that effect."

"They worked on Sunday, but kept Saturday in a sabbatical manner...These things Margaret abolished" - A History of Scotland from the Roman Occupation, speaking of Queen Margaret's (a Catholic) decree.

"There is much evidence that the Sabbath prevailed in Wales universally until AD 1115, when the first Roman bishop was seated at St. David's. The old Welsh Sabbath-keeping churches did not even then altogether bow the knee to Rome, but fled to their hiding places." - Lewis, Seventh Day Baptists in Europe and America, Vol 1, p 29

"It will surely be far safer to observe the seventh day, according to express commandment of God, than on the authority of mere human conjecture to adopt the first."- John Milton, Sab. Lit. pp 46-54.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Whether you care to acknowledge it or not, most Protestants are following Catholic doctrine rather than the Bible regarding the Sabbath:

The Catholic Cardinal Gibbons, in Faith of Our Fathers, pg. 111, said, "You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we (The Roman Catholic Church) never sanctify.

The Catholic Mirror (a publication by Cardinal Gibbons) Sept. 2, 1893- "...the Redeemer, during His mortal life, never kept any other day than Saturday."

The Catholic Mirror Sept. 9, 1893- "Nor can we imagine any one foolhardy enough to question the identity of Saturday with the Sabbath or seventh day, seeing that the people of Israel have been keeping the Saturday from the giving of the Law, A.M., 2514 to A.D. 1893 (to the present day)..."

Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Converts Catechism of Catholic Doctrine Third Edition"1). Question: Which is the Sabbath day? "Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day. 2). "Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?"Answer. "We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church in the Council of Laodicea, transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Martin J. Scott- Things Catholics Are Asked About (1927) "Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that worship should be changed from Saturday to Sunday .... Now the Church ... instituted, by God's authority, Sunday as the day of worship. This same Church, by the same divine authority, taught the doctrine of Purgatory long before the Bible was made. We have, therefore, the same authority for Purgatory as we have for Sunday."

Protestant- Canon Eyton,- The Ten Commandments "There is no word, no hint, in the New Testament about abstaining from work on Sunday .... into the rest of Sunday no divine law enters .... The observance of Ash Wednesday or Lent stands exactly on the same footing as the observance of Sunday."

Episcopal - 'The Bible commandment says on the seventh day thou shalt rest. That is Saturday. Nowhere in the Bible is it laid down that worship should be done on Sunday." Philip Carrington, Toronto Daily Star, October 26, 1949.

Baptist - Harold Lindsell, former editor of Christianity , said, 'There is nothing in Scripture that requires us to keep Sunday rather than Saturday as a holy day." Christianity Today, November 5, 1976.

John Theodore Mueller (a Lutheran) - Sabbath or Sunday- "But they err in teaching that Sunday has taken the place of the Old Testament Sabbath and therefore must be kept as the seventh day had to be kept by the children of Israel .... These churches err in their teaching, for Scripture has in no way ordained the first day of the week in place of the Sabbath. There is simply no law in the New Testament to that effect."

"They worked on Sunday, but kept Saturday in a sabbatical manner...These things Margaret abolished" - A History of Scotland from the Roman Occupation, speaking of Queen Margaret's (a Catholic) decree.

"There is much evidence that the Sabbath prevailed in Wales universally until AD 1115, when the first Roman bishop was seated at St. David's. The old Welsh Sabbath-keeping churches did not even then altogether bow the knee to Rome, but fled to their hiding places." - Lewis, Seventh Day Baptists in Europe and America, Vol 1, p 29

"It will surely be far safer to observe the seventh day, according to express commandment of God, than on the authority of mere human conjecture to adopt the first."- John Milton, Sab. Lit. pp 46-54.

Scriptures please.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scriptures please.

OK

THE SABBATH

Gen_2:2-3 God Himself sanctified the seventh day
Gen_49:15 God's rest is good
Exo_12:15-16
Exo_16:4 God uses the Sabbath to prove His people's obedience.
Exo_16:19
Exo_16:26-28 Deu_4:4-6 The Sabbath was God's commandment NOT Moses'
Exo_16:29
Exo_20:8 REMEMBER the Sabbath
Exo_20:10 No work was to be performed
Exo_23:12 Animals as well as strangers were to observe the Sabbath so that they might be refreshed
Exo_31:17 Psa_60:4 Eze_20:20 It is a sign between God and His people
Exo_31:12-13 The Sabbath is a SIGN or divine signature of our allegiance to the Almighty God
Exo_34:21 We are to work six days and rest one
Exo_35:2 Violation of the Sabbath was punishable by death
Lev_23:3 A holy gathering is called for on the Sabbath
Lev_23:32 From evening to evening
Lev_25:4-7 Even the land is to rest every seventh year
Num_15:32-36 A man stoned to death for gathering sticks upon the Sabbath
Num_28:9-10 The priest & Levites were exempt because they had specific work to do for the Lord on the Sabbath
Num_28:25 Sacred assemblies were to be held on this day
Deu_4:2 Rev_22:18-19 We are not to add or subtract from the commandments of the LORD
Deu_5:12-15 Our Children, servants as wel as animals are to keep the Sabbath
Psa_89:34 "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips."
Jam_1:17 "...the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
Psa_92:1 The Sabbath Psalm
Psa_112:1
Psa_127:2 God knows his beloved children need rest
Ecc_12:13 Fear God and Keep His Commandments- Man's Whole Duty
Isa_28:12
Isa_56:1-7, Isa_28:12, Mar_2:27 Blessed are those who keep the Sabbath holy
Isa_58:13-14 We are to consider the Sabbath a delight
Isa_66:22-23 The Sabbath is to be also observed in the world to come
Jer_17:21-27 Observe the Sabbath and be blessed, disobey it and be judged accordingly
Lam_2:6 The Lord has caused the feasts and Sabbaths to not be remembered as a punishment for Israel's sins (now He is restoring these blessings.)
Eze_20:12-24 " " It sanctifies and sets us apart from the world.
Eze_20:20-21 The Sabbath is a sign of our relationship with God
Eze_22:26
Eze_44:24 We are commanded to hallow God's Sabbaths in the future Kingdom Age
Eze_46:1-3 The sacred east gate was to be openend on this day and the prince to enter by it
Eze_20:23-24 Pollution of the sabbath brought about the Assyrian captivity of the House of Israel..
Neh_13:15-22 " " "
Babylonian captivity of the House of Judah.
Neh_10:28-31 The Israelites pledged themselves under a curse and a sacred oath to follow God's laws including the Sabbath
Neh_13:15-20 The gates were shut till the Sabbath was over
Amo_8:4-5 The greedy can't wait for the end of the Sabbath restrictions
Dan_7:25 The Anti-Christ seeks to change the religious laws and festivals
Dan_7:25 It is God's enemies that seek to alter His sacred Law and times (festivals & Sabbaths)

2Ma 15:2 ... give honour to that day, which he, that seeth all things, hath honoured with holiness above all other days.

Mat_11:28 Jesus promised to give us rest.
Mar_6:2 ,Luk_4:16, Luk_13:10 Jesus kept the Sabbath
Mat_5:17-19 Break Commandments ---called least, practice Commandments --- called great in the Kingdom.
Mat_7:24 Jesus tells us to hear the word and DO IT.
Mat_11:28-30 Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat_12:5 The priests were permitted to "profane the sabbath" by their priestly duties.Num_28:9-10 Joh_7:22-23
Consider the other things Our Lord did, which "broke" the Law? For example, it was unlawful for the
Jew to touch any leper. But the Scripture is very explicit that Jesus first touched them, and then they were healed.
Mat_12:8 Mar_2:28 Luk_6:5 Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath
Mat_12:46-50 Those that do the will of God are considered members of Christ's family
Mat_19:17 (KJS) And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life,
keep the commandments.
Mat_24:20-21 "Pray that your flight be not...on the Sabbath day" 47 years later Christ knew that the Sabbath would still be relevant to His followers.
Mat_28:1 Matthew acknowledges the Sabbath to be ended with (and different from) the "first day of the week"
Mat_12:8, Mar_2:28, Luk_6:5 Jesus is "The Lord of the Sabbath".
Mat_12:11-12, Mar_3:4 Jesus approves of certain good deeds to be done on the sabbath. Be a Good Samaritan
Mar_2:27 The Sabbath was made for man. . .
Mar_3:1-5 It is permitted to work good deeds or occupations in healing, (or preparations for warfare)
Mar_6:2 (KJS) And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue
Mar_6:31 Jesus commanded his disciples to rest
Luk_4:16 (KJS) And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up:
and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Luk_4:31 (KJS) And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.
Luk_11:28 Blessed are those that hear the Word of God and keep it.
Luk_23:54-56 Jesus' disciples faithfully observed the Sabbath after His death
Joh_14:21 (KJS) He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it
is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father,
and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Joh_15:10 (KJS) If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Act_1:12 Travel was limited on the Sabbath day
Act_13:14
Act_13:27 The scriptures are to be read every sabbath day.
Act_13:42-44
Act_15:21
Act_16:13
Act_17:2 Paul regularly taught the word of God on the sabbath, it was his manner or custom
Act_18:4
Act_18:20-21 Act_20:16 Paul also observed feast days as well as the Sabbath.
Act_21:17-24 Paul kept the Law of God
Act_22:12 Ananias, the disciple who healed Saul/Paul's blindness was "a devout man according to the law" blameless among the Jews.
Act_25:8 Neither against the law of the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet against Caesar, have I offended any thing at all.
Mat_12:8 Joh_1:1-3 Jesus is the Lord of the Creation and of the Sabbath which commemorates that wondrous Creation
Joh_7:17
Joh_15:10
Luk_23:56 Christ's disciples rested on the Sabbath day after Christ's death.
Rom_7:12 The law is holy, just & good.
Rom_14:22, Joh_13:17, Rom_8:1 Don't condemn yourself for your occasional lapses, quickly repent & rejoice in the Lord.
1Ti_1:8 The law is good, if a man use it lawfully
1Co_5:6-8 Paul exhorts a Gentile Church to observe traditional feast days. Let us likewise keep the feast
1Co_7:19 Keeping the commandments of God is of paramount importance
1Co_11:1 Follow Christ's example
Heb_3:7-19 to Heb_4:1-11 An entire chapter in the New Testament Book of Hebrews deals with the Sabbath
Heb_4:8-11
Heb_4:9-10 There remaineth a REST for the people of God. REST = G4520 Sabbatismos
Heb_9:9-10, Heb_10:1 What was done away with the New Covenant was the repetitive meat & drink offerings and sacrifices, washings, carnal commandments
Mal_3:6 "For I [am] the LORD, I change not; ..."
Psa_89:34 "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips."
Jam_1:17 "...the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
Jam_1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, DECEIVING YOUR OWN
SELVES. (KJV emphasis added)
Jam_2:17-26 Faith without accompanied works is DEAD
1Jo_3:22 (KJS) And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jo_5:3 (KJS) For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
Rev_11:19 The Ark of the Covenant containing the Ten Commandments is still revered in the temple of God.
Rev_12:17 The remnant will keep the commandments of God
Rev_14:12 (KJS) Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they
that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev_22:14 (KJS) Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they
may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates
into the city.
Deu_4:2 Rev_22:18-19 We are not to add or subtract from the commandments of the LORD

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joh_1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

And no i am not a catholic, i am not religious, I am His alone, I belong to Christ, I am not lawless so do not need the law, neither am I a Jew who too where set free from the law at the resurection but whom choose to remain under it because they have a veil over their eyes, I am a gentile, never given the law, I came to God and Christ by the grace of Jesus Christ.

In All His Love

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
OK

THE SABBATH

Gen_2:2-3 God Himself sanctified the seventh day
Gen_49:15 God's rest is good
Exo_12:15-16
Exo_16:4 God uses the Sabbath to prove His people's obedience.
Exo_16:19
Exo_16:26-28 Deu_4:4-6 The Sabbath was God's commandment NOT Moses'
Exo_16:29
Exo_20:8 REMEMBER the Sabbath
Exo_20:10 No work was to be performed
Exo_23:12 Animals as well as strangers were to observe the Sabbath so that they might be refreshed
Exo_31:17 Psa_60:4 Eze_20:20 It is a sign between God and His people
Exo_31:12-13 The Sabbath is a SIGN or divine signature of our allegiance to the Almighty God
Exo_34:21 We are to work six days and rest one
Exo_35:2 Violation of the Sabbath was punishable by death
Lev_23:3 A holy gathering is called for on the Sabbath
Lev_23:32 From evening to evening
Lev_25:4-7 Even the land is to rest every seventh year
Num_15:32-36 A man stoned to death for gathering sticks upon the Sabbath
Num_28:9-10 The priest & Levites were exempt because they had specific work to do for the Lord on the Sabbath
Num_28:25 Sacred assemblies were to be held on this day
Deu_5:12-15 Our Children, servants as wel as animals are to keep the Sabbath
Psa_92:1 The Sabbath Psalm
Psa_112:1
Psa_127:2 God knows his beloved children need rest
Ecc_12:13 Fear God and Keep His Commandments- Man's Whole Duty
Isa_28:12
Isa_56:1-7, Isa_28:12, Mar_2:27 Blessed are those who keep the Sabbath holy
Isa_58:13-14 We are to consider the Sabbath a delight
Isa_66:22-23 The Sabbath is to be also observed in the world to come
Jer_17:21-27 Observe the Sabbath and be blessed, disobey it and be judged accordingly
Lam_2:6 The Lord has caused the feasts and Sabbaths to not be remembered as a punishment for Israel's sins (now He is restoring these blessings.)
Eze_20:12-24 " " It sanctifies and sets us apart from the world.
Eze_20:20-21 The Sabbath is a sign of our relationship with God
Eze_22:26
Eze_44:24 We are commanded to hallow God's Sabbaths in the future Kingdom Age
Eze_46:1-3 The sacred east gate was to be openend on this day and the prince to enter by it
Eze_20:23-24 Pollution of the sabbath brought about the Assyrian captivity of the House of Israel..
Neh_13:15-22 " " "
Babylonian captivity of the House of Judah.
Neh_10:28-31 The Israelites pledged themselves under a curse and a sacred oath to follow God's laws including the Sabbath
Neh_13:15-20 The gates were shut till the Sabbath was over
Amo_8:4-5 The greedy can't wait for the end of the Sabbath restrictions
Dan_7:25 The Anti-Christ seeks to change the religious laws and festivals
Dan_7:25 It is God's enemies that seek to alter His sacred Law and times (festivals & Sabbaths)

2Ma 15:2 ... give honour to that day, which he, that seeth all things, hath honoured with holiness above all other days.

Mat_11:28 Jesus promised to give us rest.
Mar_6:2 ,Luk_4:16, Luk_13:10 Jesus kept the Sabbath
Mat_5:17-19 Break Commandments ---called least, practice Commandments --- called great in the Kingdom.
Mat_7:24 Jesus tells us to hear the word and DO IT.
Mat_11:28-30 Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat_12:5 The priests were permitted to "profane the sabbath" by their priestly duties.Num_28:9-10 Joh_7:22-23
Consider the other things Our Lord did, which "broke" the Law? For example, it was unlawful for the
Jew to touch any leper. But the Scripture is very explicit that Jesus first touched them, and then they were healed.
Mat_12:8 Mar_2:28 Luk_6:5 Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath
Mat_12:46-50 Those that do the will of God are considered members of Christ's family
Mat_19:17 (KJS) And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life,
keep the commandments.
Mat_24:20-21 "Pray that your flight be not...on the Sabbath day" 47 years later Christ knew that the Sabbath would still be relevant to His followers.
Mat_28:1 Matthew acknowledges the Sabbath to be ended with (and different from) the "first day of the week"
Mat_12:8, Mar_2:28, Luk_6:5 Jesus is "The Lord of the Sabbath".
Mat_12:11-12, Mar_3:4 Jesus approves of certain good deeds to be done on the sabbath. Be a Good Samaritan
Mar_2:27 The Sabbath was made for man. . .
Mar_3:1-5 It is permitted to work good deeds or occupations in healing, (or preparations for warfare)
Mar_6:2 (KJS) And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue
Mar_6:31 Jesus commanded his disciples to rest
Luk_4:16 (KJS) And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up:
and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Luk_4:31 (KJS) And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.
Luk_11:28 Blessed are those that hear the Word of God and keep it.
Luk_23:54-56 Jesus' disciples faithfully observed the Sabbath after His death
Joh_14:21 (KJS) He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it
is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father,
and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Joh_15:10 (KJS) If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Act_1:12 Travel was limited on the Sabbath day
Act_13:14
Act_13:27 The scriptures are to be read every sabbath day.
Act_13:42-44
Act_15:21
Act_16:13
Act_17:2 Paul regularly taught the word of God on the sabbath, it was his manner or custom
Act_18:4
Act_18:20-21 Act_20:16 Paul also observed feast days as well as the Sabbath.
Act_21:17-24 Paul kept the Law of God
Act_22:12 Ananias, the disciple who healed Saul/Paul's blindness was "a devout man according to the law" blameless among the Jews.
Act_25:8 Neither against the law of the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet against Caesar, have I offended any thing at all.
Mat_12:8 Joh_1:1-3 Jesus is the Lord of the Creation and of the Sabbath which commemorates that wondrous Creation
Joh_7:17
Joh_15:10
Luk_23:56 Christ's disciples rested on the Sabbath day after Christ's death.
Rom_7:12 The law is holy, just & good.
Rom_14:22, Joh_13:17, Rom_8:1 Don't condemn yourself for your occasional lapses, quickly repent & rejoice in the Lord.
1Ti_1:8 The law is good, if a man use it lawfully
1Co_5:6-8 Paul exhorts a Gentile Church to observe traditional feast days. Let us likewise keep the feast
1Co_7:19 Keeping the commandments of God is of paramount importance
1Co_11:1 Follow Christ's example
Heb_3:7-19 to Heb_4:1-11 An entire chapter in the New Testament Book of Hebrews deals with the Sabbath
Heb_4:8-11
Heb_4:9-10 There remaineth a REST for the people of God. REST = G4520 Sabbatismos
Heb_9:9-10, Heb_10:1 What was done away with the New Covenant was the repetitive meat & drink offerings and sacrifices, washings, carnal commandments
Mal_3:6 "For I [am] the LORD, I change not; ..."
Jam_1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, DECEIVING YOUR OWN
SELVES. (KJV emphasis added)
Jam_2:17-26 Faith without accompanied works is DEAD
1Jo_3:22 (KJS) And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jo_5:3 (KJS) For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
Rev_11:19 The Ark of the Covenant containing the Ten Commandments is still revered in the temple of God.
Rev_12:17 The remnant will keep the commandments of God
Rev_14:12 (KJS) Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they
that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev_22:14 (KJS) Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they
may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates
into the city.

Not your explanation of the scripture.

Write out a scripture that supercedes these -

- because it does not enter his heart but his stomach, and is eliminated, thus purifying all foods? Mark 7:19

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. Romans 14:5-6

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. 16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Colossians 2:13-17

24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, "You must be circumcised and keep the law"--to whom we gave no such commandment-- 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell. Acts 15:24-29

Special days - Gone

Special food - Gone

Circumcision - Gone

Law of Moses - Gone

Lying, Murder, Adultery, Sexual immorality, exploiting wage earners, on and on and on .... Nobody has to tell me these things are wrong, my new nature has a desire to for righteousness.

Far above those requirements are the everyday decisions of who to do buisness with, who to give provisions to, who to pray for and specifically what they need prayer for as well as many other things every single day. I won't find these things in Moses law, I need to be led by The spirit of God.

When you spend time with the Lord and seek to be filled with His Spirit, you have no desire for the things of this world.

If on the other hand, if you don't worship God or spend time with Him and you are never fill with His Spirit, then I guess you would need a checklist of rules to follow, since God is not working in you to both will and do His good pleasure.

Any Christian that tries to keep the Law of Moses is already under a curse!

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."

JLB

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains:

The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value, for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.
Indeed, "the economy of the Old Testament was deliberately so oriented that it should prepare for and declare in prophecy the coming of Christ, redeemer of all men." "Even though they contain matters imperfect and provisional," the books of the Old Testament bear witness to the whole divine pedagogy of God’s saving love: these writings "are a storehouse of sublime teaching on God and of sound wisdom on human life, as well as a wonderful treasury of prayers; in them, too, the mystery of our salvation is present in a hidden way."
Christians venerate the Old Testament as true Word of God. The Church has always vigorously opposed the idea of rejecting the Old Testament under the pretext that the New has rendered it void (Marcionism). (CCC 121-123)

I found this from Catholic Answers , it answers exactly what Christ's Church teaches about the Sabbath -

Jesus exercised his sovereign power to abrogate the sabbath law in at least some way. This is why he states, "For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath" (Mt 12:8). Both "Son of Man" and "Lord" are references to Christ's sovereign power.
The sabbath command is the only one of the Ten Commandments which can be altered in any way, because only it is a part of the ceremonial law. This is taught by the Roman Catechism issued after the Council of Trent:

The other commandments of the Decalogue are precepts of the natural law, obligatory at all times and unalterable. Hence, after the abrogation of the Law of Moses, all the Commandments contained in the two tables are observed by Christians, not indeed because their observance is commanded by Moses, but because they are in conformity with nature which dictates obedience to them.
This Commandment about the observance of the sabbath, on the other hand, considered as to the time appointed for its fulfillment, is not fixed and unalterable, but susceptible of change and belongs not to the moral, but the ceremonial law. Neither is it a principle of the natural law; we are not instructed by nature to give external worship to God on that day, rather than on any other. And in fact the sabbath was kept holy only from the time of the liberation of the people of Israel from the bondage of Pharaoh.
The observance of the sabbath was to be abrogated at the same time as the other Hebrew rites and ceremonies, that is, at the death of Christ. . . . Hence St. Paul, in his epistle to the Galatians, when reproving the observers of the Mosaic rites, says: "You observe days and months and times and years; I am afraid of you lest perhaps I have labored in vain amongst you" (Gal 4:10). And he writes to the same effect to the Colossians (Col 2:16).​

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains:
The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value, for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.
Indeed, "the economy of the Old Testament was deliberately so oriented that it should prepare for and declare in prophecy the coming of Christ, redeemer of all men." "Even though they contain matters imperfect and provisional," the books of the Old Testament bear witness to the whole divine pedagogy of God’s saving love: these writings "are a storehouse of sublime teaching on God and of sound wisdom on human life, as well as a wonderful treasury of prayers; in them, too, the mystery of our salvation is present in a hidden way."
Christians venerate the Old Testament as true Word of God. The Church has always vigorously opposed the idea of rejecting the Old Testament under the pretext that the New has rendered it void (Marcionism). (CCC 121-123)

Very admirable quote, Neophyte! The Old Testament is, indeed, a marvelous treasure trough of truth and inspiration that many of my Protestant brethren fail to give proper respect. Deceitful doctrines of Marcionism and anti-nomianism (rejection of God’s Law) have led many of today’s Christians astray.

Would you mind supplying the web address where you found this quote?

I found this from Catholic Answers , it answers exactly what Christ's Church teaches about the Sabbath -

Jesus exercised his sovereign power to abrogate the sabbath law in at least some way. This is why he states, "For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath" (Mt 12:8). Both "Son of Man" and "Lord" are references to Christ's sovereign power.

Since it is “Christ's sovereign power” as “Lord of the sabbath", and Jesus never hinted at any change of the seventh day Sabbath, why should the RCC or Protestants not follow the biblically prescribed laws concerning it? When did Christ surrender His sovereign power to church councils?

The sabbath command is the only one of the Ten Commandments which can be altered in any way, because only it is a part of the ceremonial law. This is taught by the Roman Catechism issued after the Council of Trent:

There were numerous ecclesiastical councils throughout history and many declarations contradicted earlier council decrees. Which council decisions are we then to believe? Do council declarations supersede scripture?

The other commandments of the Decalogue are precepts of the natural law, obligatory at all times and unalterable. Hence, after the abrogation of the Law of Moses, all the Commandments contained in the two tables are observed by Christians, not indeed because their observance is commanded by Moses, but because they are in conformity with nature which dictates obedience to them.

Nature . . . dictates”? “commanded by Moses” Sorry Neophyte, but neither nature nor Moses gave us the Ten Commandments. These immutable Laws were written by the very finger of God Almighty on tablets of stone which were forever consecrated within the Ark of the Covenant. Nature and Moses are both divine creations of God and subject to divine laws which govern them. They are but sanctified instruments to convey the Creator’s established laws that order the precise permutations of this planet/universe and direct the actions of the souls of men.

This Commandment about the observance of the sabbath, on the other hand, considered as to the time appointed for its fulfillment, is not fixed and unalterable, but susceptible of change and belongs not to the moral, but the ceremonial law. Neither is it a principle of the natural law; we are not instructed by nature to give external worship to God on that day, rather than on any other. And in fact the sabbath was kept holy only from the time of the liberation of the people of Israel from the bondage of Pharaoh.

The Sabbath was instituted by God and His Co-Creator The Only Begotten Son on the Seventh Day of Creation, not the Exodus of the Israelites. Neither is the Sabbath solely “ceremonial” in nature. The Sabbath was created primarily as a blessing unto mankind as well as the beasts of burden. It is a day of REST and consecrated 24 hour period of spiritual endeavors. Church meetings and ceremonial gatherings of believers may well take place on the Sabbath but such gatherings are NOT the primary purpose of that sacred day. It is, if you will, a tithe of our time.

The observance of the sabbath was to be abrogated at the same time as the other Hebrew rites and ceremonies, that is, at the death of Christ. . . . Hence St. Paul, in his epistle to the Galatians, when reproving the observers of the Mosaic rites, says: "You observe days and months and times and years; I am afraid of you lest perhaps I have labored in vain amongst you" (Gal 4:10). And he writes to the same effect to the Colossians (Col 2:16).

"The days here referred to are doubtless the days of the Jewish festivals. They had numerous days of such observances, and in addition to those specified in the Old Testament, the Jews had added many others as days commemorative of the destruction and rebuilding of the temple, and of other important events in their history. It is not a fair interpretation of this to suppose that the apostle refers to the Sabbath, properly so called, for this was a part of the Decalogue; and was observed by the Saviour himself, and by the apostles also." -- Barnes Commentary

Colossians 2:16 emphasis is simply on NOT JUDGING another believer's manner of worship practices (as the Pharisess were wont to do). This verse no more removes the obligation of the Sabbath for Christians than it does our obligations to refrain from clearly delineated NT food proscriptions against eating "things strangled" (certain NT biblical laws concerning how meat is to be properly prepared) Act_15:20 Act_21:25 or drinking in excess. Eph_5:18 1Ti_3:3 Also, ask yourself, if the first century church made special councils and decrees concerning circumcision (which is not one of the Ten Commandments), why no such early councils were ever convened in the first three centuries of the Church to debate the efficacy of the Sabbath for Christians?

Not your explanation of the scripture.

As per your request, I posted numerous scripture references re the Sabbath. The “explanations” are merely there for brevity’s sake (and notes for my personal recollection). Feel free to ignore my brief summary comments but the scripture passages have been provided for your further study should you wish to avail yourself.

Write out a scripture that supercedes (sic) these -

In most of these cases it’s not a matter of supersession but ‘rightly dividing the word of truth’ and understanding each passage in its FULL CONTEXT.

- because it does not enter his heart but his stomach, and is eliminated, thus purifying all foods? Mark 7:19

What you are failing to grasp is: EVERYTHING YOU CAN PUT IN YOUR MOUTH IS NOT NECESSARILY FOOD. Are poisonous toadstools food? Neither were you willing to partake of my earlier “all you can eat” BBQ’d sewer rat, road-kill and buzzard breasts. God also has graciously warned us not to eat fish without scales, shellfish, predators and scavengers, as well as pork products. Ignore His divine health warnings at your own peril.

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. Romans 14:5-6

Rom_14:5 verse states that we all should be "fully persuaded" in our own minds regarding our own conduct in such matters. If you are, as yet, not fully convicted as to your several obligation to observe the Sabbath, as a fellow servant of Christ, it is not my prerogative to dictate how you should behave to your Master. All I'm asking you to do, is to honestly evaluate this subject on the pure basis of scripture and NOT by what you've previously been taught or by blindly following church tradition.

Verse 6 deals with acts which "honor God". How does one "honor God" by regularly refusing to obey one of the Ten Commandments? Paul summarizes his position later in the chapter by, once again, bringing up the topic of judging anothers behavior:

Rom_14:12 "So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God."

Rom_14:13 "Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in brother's way."

It is NOT 'putting a stumblingblock" in a fellow believers way by simply telling them that they should keep the Sabbath anymore than it would be to remind a thief that he should not steal.

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. 16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Colossians 2:13-17

God stated that the Sabbath was intended as blessing for mankind, so surely this verse mentioning ordinances that are "against us" does not pertain to blessings such as the fourth commandment.

It is, indeed, very strange that NONE of the OTHER Ten Commandments are EVER seriously questioned as to their perpetuity or whether or not they still pertain to Christians. Yet, the fourth commandment is often lightly cast aside by many believers as "done away with" or "nailed to the cross".

IMO, the Ten *Commandments have been divinely arranged in a specific order of their spiritual importance (Mar_12:28-29). The first four deal with our foremost paramount responsibility to our Creator, and the other six, define how we should properly conduct ourselves with fellow mankind. Number four certainly ranks quite high upon that heavenly list of God's commands (*Note: they are Divine Commandments not suggestions).

24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, "You must be circumcised and keep the law"--to whom we gave no such commandment-- 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell. Acts 15:24-29

You must read the whole chapter to get the proper context. The first verse sets the narration:

Act 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

What is being discussed in the chapter are which parts of the law pertain to the Gentiles are are MANDATORY FOR GENTILES TO BE SAVED. James, the brother of the Lord and leader of the Jerusalem body of believers gives the summation:

Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

They were also commanded not to eat food offered to idols.

Special days – Gone

Those things are no longer MANDATORY FOR SALVATION but neither are they without merit. Jesus’ life was structured from beginning to end around the holy days. He was born at the feast of Tabernacles and died on the Feast of Passover. It is certainly NOT sinful to continue to sanctify these feasts for Gentile or Israelite Christians. And observing them makes more sense than the utterly paganized holidays of Chrismas, Halloween and Easter.

Special food – Gone

Regarding food, in order to lessen their burden these Gentile infant churches were given a special set of food laws, i.e., to abstain from food offered to idols, strangled animals and never to drink blood (those are all OT food laws). However, the OT food cleanliness laws still are very beneficial for all believers, Gentile or not. Thousands are sickened and die each year by consuming tainted shellfish and pork products, etc.

Circumcision – Gone

Once again, circumcision is NOT MANDATORY FOR SALVATION as it was in the OT but it is nevertheless still a healthy beneficial clinical practice that is practiced by Jews, Moslems as well as many Christians worldwide. For instance, recent studies have documented a much less degree of HIV/AIDS in circumcised males.

Law of Moses - Gone

Certainly, those laws regarding animal sacrifice to atone for sins and the Levitical priesthood are no longer in effect, however ALL of the Ten Commandments, including the command to keep the Sabbath holy remain intact.

Lying, Murder, Adultery, Sexual immorality, exploiting wage earners, on and on and on .... Nobody has to tell me these things are wrong, my new nature has a desire to for righteousness.

Yes, our “new nature” is only a reflection of the law of God which is now written upon our hearts rather than tablets of stone. Obedience to God’s Laws becomes our new supernatural born-again nature. We are no longer under the curse of being stoned to death for disobeying the Sabbath but we should yearn to fellowship with the Father. Why not on the day He specified?

Far above those requirements are the everyday decisions of who to do buisness with, who to give provisions to, who to pray for and specifically what they need prayer for as well as many other things every single day. I won't find these things in Moses law, I need to be led by The spirit of God. When you spend time with the Lord and seek to be filled with His Spirit, you have no desire for the things of this world.

Agreed!

If on the other hand, if you don't worship God or spend time with Him and you are never fill with His Spirit, then I guess you would need a checklist of rules to follow, since God is not working in you to both will and do His good pleasure.

It’s not about following a checklist of ordinances but a fervent desire to walk after Christ’s example. Jesus was always ‘about His Father’s business’ on the Sabbath and neither did He ever ingest unclean food. He was also circumcised and respected the biblical feast days.

Any Christian that tries to keep the Law of Moses is already under a curse!

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them." --JLB

I repeat for the third time, we not doing works of the law to attain salvation but only as a reflection of the law which now resides in our hearts. As Spirit-filled beings we count it all joy to obey the Father’s commandments.

1Jn 2:3-6 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. (6) He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
JLB, on 16 June 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

What you are failing to grasp is: EVERYTHING YOU CAN PUT IN YOUR MOUTH IS NOT NECESSARILY FOOD. Are poisonous toadstools food? Neither were you willing to partake of my earlier “all you can eat” BBQ’d sewer rat, road-kill and buzzard breasts. God also has graciously warned us not to eat fish without scales, shellfish, predators and scavengers, as well as pork products. Ignore His divine health warnings at your own peril.

What you are failing to grasp is: IF IT HAS BEEN DECLARED FOOD, WHY WOULD IT NEED TO BE PURIFIED?

It doesn't matter what you eat nowadays, chicken, fish, beef everything that you buy that has been prepared has damaging chemicals added.

I don't hear your concern about health issues over per-processed foods.

No, you are making it a religious issue! Why?

Why are you so concerned with everyone "keeping" the law concerning food?

It's your motive that is not right.

JLB

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are getting the Sabbath and Food threads mixed up. But for continuity purposes I'll reply to the post wherever you place them.

JLB, on 16 June 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

The context was Pharisees complaining about Christ and His disciples NOT WASHING THEIR HANDS not which foods were considered clean/unclean. Does context matter to you?

James Forthwright posted:

What you are failing to grasp is: IF IT HAS BEEN DECLARED FOOD, WHY WOULD IT NEED TO BE PURIFIED?

But fish without scales, shellfish, predators and scavengers, as well as pork products HAVE NEVER BEEN DECLARED FOOD. So your logic makes no sense.

It doesn't matter what you eat nowadays, chicken, fish, beef everything that you buy that has been prepared has damaging chemicals added.

I don't hear your concern about health issues over per-processed foods. No, you are making it a religious issue! Why?

Because health issues over per-processed foods has yet to be mentioned in this thread does not mean that I don’t ALSO believe that is a very important related topic. As this is a Bible Study forum we were previously discussing scriptural texts about food in this thread, however, you make a very valid point here. Why didn’t you bring it up sooner? J My main thrust of the argument is no matter how you process biblical unclean food they will still be detrimental to your health.

Why are you so concerned with everyone "keeping" the law concerning food?

Because I care about my fellow Christian’s health. Do unto others and all that. . .

It's your motive that is not right. --JLB

Who are you to judge another man’s servant? (Rom. 14:4)

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
You are getting the Sabbath and Food threads mixed up. But for continuity purposes I'll reply to the post wherever you place them.

The context was Pharisees complaining about Christ and His disciples NOT WASHING THEIR HANDS not which foods were considered clean/unclean. Does context matter to you?

But fish without scales, shellfish, predators and scavengers, as well as pork products HAVE NEVER BEEN DECLARED FOOD. So your logic makes no sense.

Because health issues over per-processed foods has yet to be mentioned in this thread does not mean that I don’t ALSO believe that is a very important related topic. As this is a Bible Study forum we were previously discussing scriptural texts about food in this thread, however, you make a very valid point here. Why didn’t you bring it up sooner? J My main thrust of the argument is no matter how you process biblical unclean food they will still be detrimental to your health.

Because I care about my fellow Christian’s health. Do unto others and all that. . .

Who are you to judge another man’s servant? (Rom. 14:4)

Your main thrust is to bring people into religious bondage by distorting the scriptures.

You said -

That is a lie!!! Either you are lying and about the context to bring people into your religious bondage or you simply don't understand the scripture.

To be honest it sounds like you are regurgitating the garbage that some one else has written and you are panhandling as your own.

Here is what the discussion of Mark 7 says -

1 Then the Pharisees and some of the scribes came together to Him, having come from Jerusalem. 2 Now when they saw some of His disciples eat bread with defiled, that is, with unwashed hands, they found fault. 3 For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands in a special way, holding the tradition of the elders.4 When they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other things which they have received and hold, like the washing of cups, pitchers, copper vessels, and couches. 5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked Him, "Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?" 6 He answered and said to them, "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: 'This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me.7 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' 8 "For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men--the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do." 9 He said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' 11 But you say, 'If a man says to his father or mother, "Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban"--' (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do." 14 When He had called all the multitude to Himself, He said to them, "Hear Me, everyone, and understand: 15 There is nothing that enters a man from outside which can defile him; but the things which come out of him, those are the things that defile a man. 16 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear!" 17 When He had entered a house away from the crowd, His disciples asked Him concerning the parable. 18 So He said to them, "Are you thus without understanding also? Do you not perceive that whatever enters a man from outside cannot defile him, 19 because it does not enter his heart but his stomach, and is eliminated, thus purifying all foods?" 20 And He said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. 21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22 thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. 23 All these evil things come from within and defile a man."

The context of this teaching by Jesus is about the heart and what defiles the heart.

The Pharisees motive, like yours, was to get the people to turn away from Jesus and what He taught and listen to and do what they taught!

Now, the context of what The Pharisees were trying to say was about washing hands and cups and dishes, which of course they thought would defile.

The only way a person could come up with the argument that the context of what Jesus taught here was about washing hands and cups and so forth, would be if they were only concerned about what the Pharisee's were talking about rather than Jesus.

That they were so focused on what they Pharisee's were saying a totally missed the message of Jesus.

And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'

Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men. That what the Pharisee's were doing.

How anyone could take a phrase such as - Thus purifying all foods and twist the meaning into a context of washing dishes is crazy.

Jesus spoke of several issues -

'This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me,

For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' 11 But you say, 'If a man says to his father or mother, "Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban"--' (that is, a gift to God),

There is nothing that enters a man from outside which can defile him; but the things which come out of him, those are the things that defile a man.

He was teaching about what does and does not defile the heart! The CONTEXT is not about washing hands!

GUESS WHAT THINGS THAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH AND CHEW UP AND IT GOES INTO YOUR STOMACH AND IS ELIMINATED, DON'T DEFILE YOUR HEART.

THUS PURIFYING ALL FOODS!!!

... For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. 6 If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed.

EVERY CREATURE OF GOD IS GOOD!! NOTHING IS TO BE REFUSED! IT IS SANCTIFIED BY THE WORD OF GOD AND PRAYER!

Your motive has been discovered by The Word of God. I don't have to judge, The Word judges you.

12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents [motives] of the heart.

You lied about the context. Why would you have people listen to you over what Jesus said?

JLB