ScottA and Tigger 2 discuss Who is God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 9
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
this is correct the Lord Jesus is called "FATHER", everlasting Father.

PCY

Reactions: Helen

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The meaning of one's name, especially in this time period, often did not refer to the one who bore that name. This is especially true of a multi-word name which included 'God' (el) or YHWH (Yeho-, Jehu-, -yah, -jah) These were often praises to Jehovah.

For example, 'Elijah' meant "God Jehovah" and when the missing words were filled in it was understood as "God is Jehovah." (Some render it "God of Jehovah," but this is clearly erroneous.) It is certain that the meaning of Elijah's personal name does not refer to him.

The same goes for Abijah (Father Jehovah). It probably means "Our Father is Jehovah" and that meaning is not understood as referring to Abijah himself. There are many such Jewish names throughout the scriptures.

Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance, for example, says the name “Elimelech” (which is literally just “God King”) means “God of (the) King.” Young’s Analytical Concordance says it means “God is King.” Today’s Dictionary of the Bible says it means “ God his King” - p. 206, Bethany House Publ., 1982. And an online meaning is given as “My God is the King.”

In fact Isaiah 9:6 itself has been translated as

The Leeser Bible also translates it:

“Wonderful, counsellor of the mighty God, of the everlasting Father, the prince of peace”

Also, An American Translation (by trinitarians Smith & Goodspeed) says:

“Wonderful Counselor IS God Almighty, Father forever, Prince of Peace.”

Of course it could also be honestly translated:

“The Wonderful Counselor and Mighty God Is the Eternal Father of the Prince of Peace.”

Last edited:

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Isaiah 9:6 clearly states that it is His name - "his name shall be called"

The word name is from the Hebrew word Shem meaning:

name
reputation, fame, glory
the Name (as designation of God)
memorial, monument

The rest of it is your understanding and I don't trust other translations. (Note: NIV translates as Everlasting Father, still ...)

When learning about God, keep in mind that He is God and not man. Numbers 23:19 In case you are learning about God as though he is a man, all your understanding will go wrong just like the Theory of Evolution :D.

When it is written that His name is wonderful, then it is correct. His name is Mighty God, then certainly it is. His name can also be used to praise Him (Ps 96:2), remember He is God and not a man.

You quoted the name of Elijah, well, my name is Prashanth meaning peaceful in our regional language. It certainly does not mean that I am always a peaceful person. I am like everyone who can lose temper during stressful situations. No issues with the name of Elijah and I am not carried away if there were any insertions to force the understanding of the meaning of the name of Elijah. What matters to me is the name of God, in this discussion. His name is Prince of Peace and that's exactly what He was. For example, when Jesus was being scorned during His crucifixion, He prayed for their forgiveness. He is perfect exactly befitting His name.

God named Jacob as Israel (Genesis 32:28) meaning "God prevails". It is correct. (Rom 8:31, Rom 11:1,11)
God names Abram, Abraham(Gen 17:5) meaning "father of many nations" which is again correct. (Gal 3:28,29)

We humans name ourselves for a mere reference to one another. The way God names is different (Is 55:8).

You learn about God the way God wants you to learn about Him i.e. godly ways .. for ex. Numbers 23:19 and not the worldly ways.

When God says His name is called The Everlasting Father , AMEN.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:​

All glory to God.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
When God says His name is called The Everlasting Father , AMEN.
"Everlasting Father" is not the correct translation. It should read, "father of eternity" (אביעד - abiad). There are at least 27 names in the Bible with the same Hebrew construction as in this verse. Each one means the "father of (something)." For example, Abinadab means "father of generosity." Instead of translating the phrase in Isiah 9:6 as "father of eternity," the KJV reversed the sequence making the true meaning harder to discern. Several newer versions correct this mistake such as Young's Literal Translation, The Emphasized Bible, The Bible in Basic English, The New American Bible, The Holy Bible; A Translation From the Latin Vulgate in the Light of the Hebrew and Greek Originals, and The New English Bible, just to name a few. Yeshua is the father of eternity because eternal life comes to us through him. And so it is written in Hebrews 5:9, "And being made perfect, he became the author (or father) of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 9:6 clearly states that it is His name - "his name shall be called"
You are correct. they will try to change the word of the bible, like, ""Everlasting Father" is not the correct translation. It should read, "father of eternity" (אביעד - abiad)".
see how ignorant they are, eternity is EVERLASTING, my God how obtuse can one be.

PCY

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You are correct. they will try to change the word of the bible, like, ""Everlasting Father" is not the correct translation. It should read, "father of eternity" (אביעד - abiad)".
see how ignorant they are, eternity is EVERLASTING, my God how obtuse can one be.

PCY
Everlasting Father and father of eternity mean two different things. Everlasting Father means he is a Father that last forever. Father of eternity means he brings forth eternity.

BTW, ByGrace, I can't understand why you would like a post from a poster that makes rude and obnoxious statements. That is certainly not the way the Holy Spirit works in a true believer. You are simply encouraging him to continue on in his carnal ways.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
"Everlasting Father" is not the correct translation.
Your post was regarding translations and there are people who think otherwise. :)

the KJV reversed the sequence making the true meaning harder to discern.
I belong to the region where English is not a native language. Despite of this I do not find difficulty in understanding KJV. In fact I like the language usage of KJV.

So I think I should like 101G's post. ;)

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Your post was regarding translations and there are people who think otherwise. :)
I agree. You need to ask yourself if they are bias because they are trinitarians. The Hebrew text does not support the translation "Everlasting Father". If so, then all the other Hebrew names that means "father of ..." need to be changed.

I belong to the region where English is not a native language. Despite of this I do not find difficulty in understanding KJV. In fact I like the language usage of KJV.

So I think I should like 101G's post. ;)
The KJV is not difficult to understand. It simply did not faithfully translate the Hebrew text. When you read, "Everlasting Father", what thought do you come away with? That the Son is our Heavenly Father ( which is contrary to the trinity doctrine)? Or something else?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all. first thanks for your post. second I commend you in the understanding of the KJV. I know it's written in old English, but I see you have the understanding from the Holy Spirit. many who speak English still cannot understand the KJV. but the bible, the KJV must be revealed to you by God. one just cannot read it and say I got it. no it don't work that way with God. it must be revealed unto you by God.

so keep up the good work, and let no man sway you. again I commend you on you stance. as the apostle Paul said, "be STRONG in the FAITH".

PCY