Scripture Interpretation ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
This is where the doctrine of the divine preservation of Scripture comes in.
what i read about is scribes and clueless readers myself, imo your doctrine came from some pope or something

we could do a comparo if you like, but wadr this is where the doctrine of divine preservation goes out ok, not comes in.

I was gonna post a Quote of mine next to a Quote of yours, but of course yours is pretty much Scripture free anyway i guess
doctrine of the divine preservation of Scripture - Google Search
i mean, i cannot find a single Ref on the page, even at the bottom lol
i got more Refs to taking a dump than...etc
but since i'm sure you have some evidence i'll let you post it if you really want to test your conviction on this, which i don't think you do tbh

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Thus it was an absolute divine necessity that a sinless Man (Christ Jesus) experience and quench God's wrath against sin, before God could offer His mercy and grace to sinners.
:rolleyes: gee what a surprise. Lots of Absolute Necessities in your world i guess huh. Fwiw i do feel for you, ok, i dunno if you were raised by wolves or an orphanage or what, but someone gave you a very unfortunate perspective of God, and your conviction is going to crumble like a cookie when you lean on any of that ok. Those unexplainable bouts of rage, etc, you prolly getting migraines too? You are on a terminal path, ok, wadr

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We tend to look at the characteristics of God that we want to see. God is love, but he will also extract vengeance and make war. Just keep that in mind when you look at God's character.

From where I sit...God poured out His anger against sin upon His Son of Calvary.
Peace and goodwill to all man.
Now Satan and his hordes is a very different matter...He will indeed make war on them...but man...no.

Just my opinion :)

Reactions: soul man

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just curious..…. what did God tell Adam was going to be the penalty for sinning? (Not with all our embellishments gleaned from various verses all thorough the Bible... just what God told Adam.)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just curious..…. what did God tell Adam was going to be the penalty for sinning? (Not with all our embellishments gleaned from various verses all thorough the Bible... just what God told Adam.)

If we do a word for word translation of Genesis 2:17 the last two Hebrew words in the verse,
"מ֥וֹת תָּמֽוּת",
then I would contend that these two Hebrew words be translated as "die the second death." where "tā·mūṯ" is used elsewhere in the OT to describe the second death which results from sinning against God. The expression "die the second death, suggests that this death will occur sometime in the future at a predetermined time. It certainly should not be translated as "surely die," as this gives the wrong impression of what God was telling Adam.

Shalom

Reactions: Willie T

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It certainly should not be translated as "surely die," as this gives the wrong impression of what God was telling Adam.
Well according to the interlinear translation on Bible Hub mowt tamut (מ֥וֹת תָּמֽוּת) means surely you will die. So why are you suggesting it means something else? One can certainly explain it further, but the actual words have been correctly translated.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well according to the interlinear translation on Bible Hub mowt tamut (מ֥וֹת תָּמֽוּת) means surely you will die. So why are you suggesting it means something else? One can certainly explain it further, but the actual words have been correctly translated.

Because "mowt" is derived from the Hebrew Root word muth מוּת H:4191 and its short definition is "die."

In the context of where it is found in Genesis 2:17, it is speaking of the consequences of sinning against God and without repenting the future consequences is to "die the second death" at the time of the Final Judgement when the person is deemed either righteous or unrighteous. The righteous are allowed to enter into the everlasting Kingdom of God while the unrighteous are dispatched into the Lake of Fire.

In Genesis 3:4, Satan was truthful in telling Eve that if she ate of the forbidden fruit that she would not "die" at that time, but he neglected to also explain that at a future time, because of her sinning by eating of the forbidden fruit, that she would still die the second death, if she did not repent of her sin. Scholars have provided many explanation as to why Adam and Eve did not immediately die when they ate of the forbidden fruit without acknowledging that God was speaking of the second death to Adam when He gave them the simple command to not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Even in the Age of Abraham, the people understood that if they "sinned" against the most high God that they would die the second death and what the consequences of dying the second death meant for them personally.

The error in people's understanding developed after this time, because they could not understand or explain what was meant by God in Genesis 2:17. The understood that if you sin you will die, but the lost the understanding of the time frame when the person would die because of their sin. So they have introduced the concept to a "spiritual death" or a separation from God, which occurs immediately upon sinning. However, this explanation make the redemption possibilities harder to explain to people and the need to have a repentant heart because of the nature we have to sin easily.

Because the error was introduced into Genesis 2:17 in the understanding of "mowt", the error has been repeated elsewhere in the Old Testament where this particular Hebrew Word has been used and this error tradition of misunderstanding has grown into acceptance.

If the second death can be found in the Book of Revelation, then why do people find it difficult to also find the second death referred to in the Book of Genesis.

Shalom

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How shall we decide or it be decided or agreed who or what is right and correct as regards scripture interpretation/s - twinc
The scriptures must be interpreted spiritually (according to the scriptures).

So, the whole thing about there being "no private interpretation", does not mean that one person's interpretation is wrong just because no one agrees. On the contrary, the m.o. for God is that one person's word from God...is a word from God, even against all other interpretations.

Otherwise, multiple interpretations only show the error of men. "Let God be true but every man a liar."

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As Joseph said, interpretations belong to God.
I don't think it's a matter of convincing men when they think they know.

Seek you will find
knock and he door will be opened
ask and it will be given

These attitudes reveal an attitude of not knowing/wanting to know more.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
does not mean that one person's interpretation is wrong just because no one agrees
hmm

beats 'witnesses' up pretty bad seems to me, but at the same time i'd hate to discount insight.
i gotta believe a proper spiritual interpretation could be witnessed somewhere, otherwise something new under the sun or something? there are no spiritual secrets imo

Reactions: Philip James

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How shall we decide or it be decided or agreed who or what is right and correct as regards scripture interpretation/s - twinc

Hi dear Brother twinc
Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

Regardless your growth in Christ, word upon word, and precept upon precept will add to it.
Yesterday I heard that our former USA President Reagan had said: "If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: 'President Can't Swim. ...

If you pay any attention to me for the shortest of posts, you will undoubtedly find fault, but hang in there; I may fit your pattern one day. Blessings in Christ Jesus. :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

On this forum, you can forget 'Scripture interpretation' .

When you're talking to someone here, you must first find out if they believe the Bible is the Word of God. Then you must find out if they believe all that is written in it is the Word of God. Then you must find out if they believe the translators purposefully mistranslated the Scriptures to fit their bias. Then you must find out if they consider other writings the Word of God other than Scripture or other methods of determining God's will and truth outside of Scripture.

So, you see? Debating over interpretation here is like trying to put an oil fire out with water. No one is interpreting from the same source.

Stranger

Reactions: Enoch111

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
On this forum, you can forget 'Scripture interpretation' .

When you're talking to someone here, you must first find out if they believe the Bible is the Word of God. Then you must find out if they believe all that is written in it is the Word of God. Then you must find out if they believe the translators purposefully mistranslated the Scriptures to fit their bias. Then you must find out if they consider other writings the Word of God other than Scripture or other methods of determining God's will and truth outside of Scripture.

So, you see? Debating over interpretation here is like trying to put an oil fire out with water. No one is interpreting from the same source.

Stranger
and so water finds its own level.

Reactions: Willie T

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
and so water finds its own level.

And that depends on the hydrology at work. Water flowing in a river can have steps in its level.

That is not deep but it is physics.

And it does explain why there are people who have different understanding because of the level of the water.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those that have received the fullness of the spirit;

1 John 2:27 KJVS
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Reactions: Hidden In Him