SDA

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prior to making a decision whether to take up the Seventh Day Adventist
religion, new Christians really should thoroughly research not only Ellen
G. White, but also a crucial SDA doctrine called Investigative Judgment;
which is a doctrine that has quite a few Adventists crossing their fingers and
hoping for the best while in the back of their mind dreading the worst.

YouTube is a pretty good source; and Wikipedia too.
_

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

_

Dr Walter Martin correctly said in his book, Kingdom of the Cults, that the SDA is a legitimate Christian denomination with some errant doctrine, and are not a cult.

I’m not SDA, nor will become one, but they at least teach salvation by faith and repentance of sins, and teach living a righteous life as a believer - so they are vastly superior to 5 point Calvinism, hyper-grace, and other churches that don’t teach salvation by faith and repentance, and thus don’t teach how to be saved, and teach OSAS.

I respect them much more than I do many denominations today.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not SDA, nor will become one, but they at least teach salvation by faith and repentance of sins, and teach living a righteous life as a believer - so they are vastly superior to 5 point Calvinism, hyper-grace, and other churches that don’t teach salvation by faith and repentance, and thus don’t teach how to be saved, and teach OSAS.

“ repenting of Sins “ for one’s Salvation is NEVER mentioned in the KJV.....you are teaching a “ False Gospel”..... read Gal 1: 8 to see your fate.....

I teach OSAS because my Savior did.....” Those that Believe in me ALREADY HAVE Eternal Life and shall NEVER come under Condemnation......they have passed from Death unto Life”......

I must ask: what part of “ Never” do you fail to understand?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dr Walter Martin correctly said in his book, Kingdom of the Cults, that the SDA is a legitimate Christian denomination with some errant doctrine, and are not a cult.

I respect them much more than I do many denominations today.
If you want to know about SDA beliefs, ask an SDA person an evaluate for yourself.

Never look to any other person to tell you God’s Truth or what somebody else believes.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to know about SDA beliefs, ask an SDA person an evaluate for yourself.

Never look to any other person to tell you God’s Truth or what somebody else believes.
I already know the erroneous doctrines of E G White, thanks.

I quote an authority on cults on his assessment that SDA errors don’t qualify it as a cult.

Satan is not our scapegoat, our sins aren’t put on the devil. Jesus bore our sins in His own body

There is no investigative judgment in heaven, either.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already know the erroneous doctrines of E G White, thanks.

I quote an authority on cults on his assessment that SDA errors don’t qualify it as a cult.

Satan is not our scapegoat, our sins aren’t put on the devil. Jesus bore our sins in His own body

There is no investigative judgment in heaven, either.
Follow Christ from what Christ teaches you. He is your, mine, and everyone else’s Savior.

But when it comes to you evaluating what an SDA person believes, the only expert is that SDA person.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“ repenting of Sins “ for one’s Salvation is NEVER mentioned in the KJV.....you are teaching a “ False Gospel”..... read Gal 1: 8 to see your fate.....

I teach OSAS because my Savior did.....” Those that Believe in me ALREADY HAVE Eternal Life and shall NEVER come under Condemnation......they have passed from Death unto Life”......

On the contrary I have exhaustively proved that repentance is absolutely required to be saved, not just faith. Apparently you have forgotten.

Read the next post, #8.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith AND repentance are required for salvation.

Jesus Himself plainly said He came to call sinners unto repentance, and warned that unless we repent, we shall perish:

Luke 5:30 And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

Luk 5:31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Luk 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to REPENTANCE.”

Luke 13:3 No, I tell you; but unless you REPENT , you will all likewise perish.

In addition to the fact that Jesus came to call sinners unto repentance, He also said after His resurrection that repentance for the remission of sins must be preached to all nations:

Luke 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Luke 24:47 And that REPENTANCE and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Plus, as Jesus was about to ascend, He told the apostles in Matthew 28:19 to make disciples of all men, teaching them all He commanded them, which would include teaching the need to repent of sins or perish.

And other scriptures will confirm that repentance - which includes asking God to forgive our sins - is required for salvation, alongside faith.

John wrote that we must confess our sins, to have them forgiven:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us oursins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Paul preached both faith AND repentance is necessary, not just faith:

Act 20:20 Andhow I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repentance towards God, and faith towards Jesus: both are needed, and are separate - repentance is not automatically part of faith., said Paul.

And Paul continues to confirm that repentance AND faith are required

Act 26:19 “Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and ALSO to the Gentiles, that they should repent AND turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their REPENTANCE.

In one text, Paul preached repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus - in another that we should repent AND turn to God.

Then in Acts 3:19, we are told to repent and be converted for the forgiveness of our sins:

Act 3:19 Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out

In that text, repentance clearly precedes conversion and forgiveness of our sins - and as 1 John 1:9 makes plain, repentance includes confessing our sins to God, for their forgiveness.

Albert Barnes explains this about Acts 3:19:

Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents. Compare Isa 1:16-20; Joe 2:13”.

Repentance must always precede pardon.

Peter also told those 3,000 who were added to the church that day, to repent, and be baptized, in Acts 2:38.

It is unequivocally clear that repentance is separate from faith; that repentance is needed, alongside faith, as part of being saved ; and that repentance includes asking God to forgive our sins, and not just changing our minds about sin.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dr Walter Martin correctly said in his book, Kingdom of the Cults, that the SDA is a legitimate Christian denomination with some errant doctrine, and are not a cult...
There are two sides to that story.

Did Adventist leaders lie to Walter Martin

After hearing numerous testimonies from former Adventists and having numerous discussions with SDA’s over the years on various Christian forum sites, I have reached the conclusion that the SDA church is a cult.

Investigative Judgment
Mark of the Beast
Ellen White
Dangers of Seventh-day Adventism
https://www.nonsda.org/study8.shtml

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was once in a discussion with SDA who made this statement below which has confirmed to me that SDA’s teach “salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works.” (Galatians 1:6-9)

The counterfeit Gospel is out there. What is the other Gospel? It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's Law (10 commandments) from the Cross. It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's 10 commandments from the plan of salvation. God’s Law has always been part of the true Gospel of Christ. The counterfeit Gospel does not have it. God's forever Law (the 10 commandments) is the foundation of both the Old and the New Covenant and the very foundation and basis of the true Gospel of Christ.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

_
What is a Seventh Day Adventist anyway? I've heard of them but don't know exactly what they are, I know the women don't cut their hair and wear long dresses down to their ankles.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is a Seventh Day Adventist anyway? I've heard of them but don't know exactly what they are, I know the women don't cut their hair and wear long dresses down to their ankles.
Nope!!! Wrong religion.!!

As for clothing in church, we wear our best. That can be jeans if that is what you have. The first time I got a hold of a pastor to go to church, all i had was jeans. God just wants you there.

Adventists dress modestly, to give you an idea most dresses are at the knee or a bit above. (I have a long skirt, though I like midlength skirts,I would look awful in an above the knee dress--almost 70 with iccky looking knees, I'm just thankful they still work :) ) and I have a a rockin pair of camo culottes) We don't wear heavy makeup - a little is fine, and as for hairlength--long or short, up to you. It's fine to dye your hair too. We don't cover our heads either, although if someone wanted to, it would be fine. Used to be that Adventists don't wear jewelry, but that has lifted a bit. nothing heavy though --not to bring attention to self. We believe that God's people are in every church, and are being called out by the Lord "Come out of her, My people."Rev 18:4

Briefly,that Jesus died for us, and He is our Righteousness (Justification). We believe in a literal 6 day Creation,that Jesus Christ is Creator,(all things were made through Him) the keeping of the 7th Day Sabbath, Trinity, and most of us tithe ( that is a personal thing).We water baptize, We believe that the dead are asleep and will arise at the 2nd coming, which we believe is a literal, visible, and audible event.
1 Thess 2:16-17"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

There is much more.

What do Seventh Day Adventists Really Believe? - Adventist.org

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope!!! Wrong religion.!!

As for clothing in church, we wear our best. That can be jeans if that is what you have. The first time I got a hold of a pastor to go to church, all i had was jeans. God just wants you there.

Adventists dress modestly, to give you an idea most dresses are at the knee or a bit above. (I have a long skirt, though I like midlength skirts,I would look awful in an above the knee dress--almost 70 with iccky looking knees, I'm just thankful they still work :) ) and I have a a rockin pair of camo culottes) We don't wear heavy makeup - a little is fine, and as for hairlength--long or short, up to you. It's fine to dye your hair too. We don't cover our heads either, although if someone wanted to, it would be fine. Used to be that Adventists don't wear jewelry, but that has lifted a bit. nothing heavy though --not to bring attention to self. We believe that God's people are in every church, and are being called out by the Lord "Come out of her, My people."Rev 18:4

Briefly,that Jesus died for us, and He is our Righteousness (Justification). We believe in a literal 6 day Creation,that Jesus Christ is Creator,(all things were made through Him) the keeping of the 7th Day Sabbath, Trinity, and most of us tithe ( that is a personal thing).We water baptize, We believe that the dead are asleep and will arise at the 2nd coming, which we believe is a literal, visible, and audible event.
1 Thess 2:16-17"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

There is much more.

What do Seventh Day Adventists Really Believe? - Adventist.org
Like I said: ask an actual SDA person what it is they believe. :)

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SDA adherents quote the Bible, and claim to believe what the Bible says;
whereas in reality they actually believe what Ellen G. White says the Bible
means.

Jehovah's Witness' practices are similar. They too quote the Bible and claim
to believe what the Bible says; whereas in reality they actually believe what
the Watchtower Society says the Bible means.

Roman Catholicism is sort of like that. Its adherents are free to read the
Bible on their own, but must leave the Bible's meanings to The Church.

Those three organizations echo Big Brother's thought police in George
Orwell's novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" wherein a dissenter is coerced to
accept that four fingers are five if and/or whenever Big Brother says so.

NOTE: This past year, 2020, the US Government has been acting the role of
Big Brother by employing all in its power to suppress dissenters who oppose
its Covid 19 controls. The Government isn't clamping cages of hungry rats to
people's faces; instead they are coercing folks by causing the loss of their
jobs, their military careers, their licenses, their funding, their grants, and
their subsidies; which are just as effective as rats to get people to agree that
four fingers means five. The USA has become dystopian, and it just amazes
me the number of citizens in my country who are going along with it.
_

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

condescension never fails to shoot itself in the foot!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
condescension never fails to shoot itself in the foot!

Asking a simple question that has the intention of “ waking somebody up” to a fact
That , if simply Believed, might be the difference between Eternal Life or Eternal Damnation is not really an act of “ Condescension”...... This next remark might qualify, though—-“ If you can’t stand the heat.....stay out of the kitchen!”

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those three organizations echo Big Brother's thought police in George
Orwell's novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" wherein a dissenter is coerced to
accept that four fingers are five if and/or whenever Big Brother says so.

That is not true. you are way off. If I believed the Bible said differently from what the Church taught, I would leave in a heartbeat.
I have no clue what you wrote means. I would think big brother would be more ecumenical.

I see the churches uniting under gifts, and casting aside old beliefs in order to get along. That scares the Dickens out of me. CBN is a nightmare. Like i said , God's people are in every church, but He is calling them out.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not true. you are way off. If I believed the Bible said differently from what the Church taught, I would leave in a heartbeat.
I have no clue what you wrote means. I would think big brother would be more ecumenical.
In my observation, most people whom process to “warn” others about “evil group x” seldom do.

I’d much rather encourage people to check/study things out for themselves and think for themselves.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith AND repentance are required for salvation.

Jesus Himself plainly said He came to call sinners unto repentance, and warned that unless we repent, we shall perish:

Luke 5:30 And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

Luk 5:31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Luk 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to REPENTANCE.”

Luke 13:3 No, I tell you; but unless you REPENT , you will all likewise perish.

In addition to the fact that Jesus came to call sinners unto repentance, He also said after His resurrection that repentance for the remission of sins must be preached to all nations:

Luke 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Luke 24:47 And that REPENTANCE and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Plus, as Jesus was about to ascend, He told the apostles in Matthew 28:19 to make disciples of all men, teaching them all He commanded them, which would include teaching the need to repent of sins or perish.

And other scriptures will confirm that repentance - which includes asking God to forgive our sins - is required for salvation, alongside faith.

John wrote that we must confess our sins, to have them forgiven:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us oursins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Paul preached both faith AND repentance is necessary, not just faith:

Act 20:20 Andhow I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repentance towards God, and faith towards Jesus: both are needed, and are separate - repentance is not automatically part of faith., said Paul.

And Paul continues to confirm that repentance AND faith are required

Act 26:19 “Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and ALSO to the Gentiles, that they should repent AND turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their REPENTANCE.

In one text, Paul preached repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus - in another that we should repent AND turn to God.

Then in Acts 3:19, we are told to repent and be converted for the forgiveness of our sins:

Act 3:19 Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out

In that text, repentance clearly precedes conversion and forgiveness of our sins - and as 1 John 1:9 makes plain, repentance includes confessing our sins to God, for their forgiveness.

Albert Barnes explains this about Acts 3:19:

Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents. Compare Isa 1:16-20; Joe 2:13”.

Repentance must always precede pardon.

Peter also told those 3,000 who were added to the church that day, to repent, and be baptized, in Acts 2:38.

It is unequivocally clear that repentance is separate from faith; that repentance is needed, alongside faith, as part of being saved ; and that repentance includes asking God to forgive our sins, and not just changing our minds about sin.

Ill say it again.....NOWHERE in the KJV does it say to “Repent Of SINS to get Saved” ....If that was true, Judas would be the King Of Heaven.....He repented to the extent that he even returned the money he was given! Felt so “ sorry” for his sin that he could not continue to live with himself and killed himself !t If what you maintain is True, the Thief on the Cross is in Hell today....He just did not have enough time to prove that he could “turn over a new leaf” which is what your Salvation message is all about.....

There are three different words in the Bible that get translated as” Repentance” .....therein lies most of the problem......if “ repentance” automatically means to “ repent from sins” , Nobody in the Bible repented more than God ( something like 19 times!) We all know that God can never sin....Repentance CAN mean to stop sinning and if the Bible says to “ stop sinning” , by all means—- try to do it! God will bless you for it! He just won’t Save you for it .....If the Bible tells us to Repent to Get and Stay saved, by all means —- DO IT! Sorry to report it, but it just is not a part of God’s Recipe for Salvation.....

Wanna know the “ Recipe” for Salvation ? TURN TO GOD with a Contrite heart ( THAT is the type of “repentance” that God is looking for, as in, “ TURN to me and I will TURN to you!” ) yes, Turn to God as a hopeless, helpless Lost Sinner That MUST have a Savior and simply ASK THE SAVIOUR to Save you....” Anybody that ASKS to be Saved WILL BE SAVED!”

As far as Salvation is concerned, Repentance comes from the Greek word “metanoia” ( look it up!) .....it means to “ Change your Mind” ......if you have “ changed your mind” from the self- Righteous delusion from Satan (that the vast majority of the world Believes ) that tells you that you are “ good enough” to get to Heaven ...... and you have had your eyes opened by the Holy Spirit to show you that you are a Sinner that needs Savior and that Jesus * IS* that Savior—-You have done the “ Repenting” That will get and keep you saved

The Repenting That you speak Of? ....it’s great! There will be plenty of occasions for “ that” style of repenting AFTER you are Saved......Turn to God with Faith in Jesus to get Saved and thereby get the Holy Spirit in you .....any behavior Change without the accompanying Of the Holy Spirit is Filthy Rags....Anything you do to Get you Saved and keep yourself Saved is just “ Dead Works”....

Jesus gave us a picture of the only type of Repentance that God wants to see from the man “dead in his trespasses and sins” like ALL of us were before we Trusted Jesus to save us......Remember the Publican that turned to God with a Contrite heart? He simply cried out , “ Lord, have Mercy on me, a Sinner....” THAT is the Repentance That Saves a man.....and THAT is the “Repentance ” That MUST happen....

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ill say it again.....NOWHERE in the KJV does it say to “Repent Of SINS to get Saved” .

I more than proved that you are wrong.

When the church started in Acts 2, three thousand were added to the church after Peter told them to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins.

In case you don’t know it, you aren’t saved until your sins are forgiven, and they aren’t forgiven without repentance.