Secure Eternal Salvation 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, Robert, even aside from the fact that John, in 1 John 1:8, says, "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us"...

giphy.gif

...why do you think the writer of Hebrews says this?

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured from sinners such hostility against Himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?"

'My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by Him. For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and chastises every son whom He receives.'
"It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, that we may share His holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."
[Hebrews 12:1-11]​
Yeah, so, why does he exhort us to lay aside sin which clings so closely, and to run with endurance, even noting explicitly our struggle against sin, if we are perfectly repented of our sin, and thus sin-free, as you say you are? And why would the Lord have to discipline us, which He does for those whom He loves, if we are perfectly repented of our sin, and thus sin-free, as you say you are? Does none of what the writer says here apply to you?

Grace and peace to you.
Yeah, so, why does he exhort us to lay aside sin which clings so closely, and to run with endurance, even noting explicitly our struggle against sin, if we are perfectly repented of our sin, and thus sin-free, as you say you are?

In order to go on to perfection and completion of becoming sons of God to be free of lust and sins of the flesh.

Why does He rebuke and chasten us if not to have us do so?

Christian living in this life is not ordained to be an ongoing 'struggle' and fight between God and His people, continuing in sins and trespasses with ongoing rebukes and chastenings unto the end.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

There were several names in Sardis that He had no need to rebuke to repent, but rather were worthy to walk with Him in white.

Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

Does none of what the writer says here apply to you?

Like them in Sardis, I am to keep my heart pure and free by keeping the lust of the flesh at the outside of the door, to no more enter in and defile myself:

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Running the race with an unclean heart of lust, is seeking to run unlawfully, and will only end in sin and destruction.

Reactions: amigo de christo

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order to go on to perfection and completion of becoming sons of God to be free of lust and sins of the flesh.
Yes, but that's not attainable in this life. We run the race God has set before us, and we press on, as Paul does, but, unfortunately, it's not attainable in this life.

Christian living in this life is not ordained to be an ongoing 'struggle' and fight between God and His people, continuing in sins and trespasses with ongoing rebukes and chastenings unto the end.
Oh, my sweet Lord. Nobody is suggesting such a thing. Not the writer of Hebrews, nor anyone here. The struggle is within, to put off the old man and put on the new, as Paul puts it. But we know that our spirit, because of the work of the Holy spirit, is going to win. :)

Like them in Sardis, I am to keep my heart pure and free by keeping the lust of the flesh at the outside of the door, to no more enter in and defile myself...
Right, I agree. But if you think you can ever, in this life, attain perfection in doing that, you are deluding yourself.

Running the race with an unclean heart of lust, is seeking to run unlawfully, and will only end in sin and destruction.
Right, but again, no one is suggesting such a thing. If one has an unclean heart of lust and/or is seeking to run unlawfully, then he or she is not really running the race ~ or keeping their eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith ~ at all, but rather seeking after their own dishonorable passions (Paul, Romans 1), and thus, yes, if they never repent and believe, destined for destruction.

Wow. I mean, you rail against these things, and... you're not wrong about them, but they really don't apply to anyone here or the discussion at hand at all. My goodness. Do all your "conversations" go this way? Do you always have such an iron head? Surely not...

Grace and peace to you.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, my heart is not free of all lust and my mind is not free from all sinful thought, but I never cease to fight against this body of flesh and I trust that I have a savior that forgives me when I repent ... even seventy times seven times. [As promised, an honest answer. However based on scripture, I believe that you are self-deceived in your appraisal of your sanctification, so you have my prayers ... ironic, isn't it? ;) ]

“I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am”

― John Newton
Based upon your sincerity with me, then I am trying another way. I only want to know what think and how you see things.

I already know how you live, because all Christians have not doubt been there, as was Paul in Romans 6.

No, my heart is not free of all lust and my mind is not free from all sinful thought.

And yet you loudly agreed we cannot possibly call upon the Lord out of a pure heart, unless we first have a pure heart to do so, and then claimed to have a new and pure heart yourself.

And so, the question is obvious: What is a pure heart to you?

it is God that purifies the human heart and not man.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Who is God speaking to, and and what does this Scripture mean to you?

However based on scripture.

Which is all I care about in things of God. I never offer anything without the Scripture and my reading and sense of it.

All I look for is the same from others. Disagreeing and agreeing is not the point, so much as being accurate and true to the Word of God:

So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Reactions: amigo de christo

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but that's not attainable in this life. We run the race God has set before us, and we press on, as Paul does, but, unfortunately, it's not attainable in this life.

Oh, my sweet Lord. Nobody is suggesting such a thing. Not the writer of Hebrews, nor anyone here. The struggle is within, to put off the old man and put on the new, as Paul puts it. But we know that our spirit, because of the work of the Holy spirit, is going to win. :)

Right, I agree. But if you think you can ever, in this life, attain perfection in doing that, you are deluding yourself.

Right, but again, no one is suggesting such a thing. If one has an unclean heart of lust and/or is seeking to run unlawfully, then he or she is not really running the race ~ or keeping their eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith ~ at all, but rather seeking after their own dishonorable passions (Paul, Romans 1), and thus, yes, if they never repent and believe, destined for destruction.

Wow. I mean, you rail against these things, and... you're not wrong about them, but they really don't apply to anyone here or the discussion at hand at all. My goodness. Do all your "conversations" go this way? Do you always have such an iron head? Surely not...

Grace and peace to you.
"In order to go on to perfection and completion of becoming sons of God to be free of lust and sins of the flesh."

Yes, but that's not attainable in this life.

"Running the race with an unclean heart of lust, is seeking to run unlawfully, and will only end in sin and destruction."

And so you see how your doctrine does not hold true.

You say a pure heart free of lust is not attainable in this life, and then you agree an unclean heart cannot run the race lawfully in this life and must repent.

You acknowledge you still have a heart of lust, and then confirm that no such unclean heart can run lawfully and so are destined for destruction.

For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Like the simplicity of Christ, Scripture is always simpler than the contradictory arguments of man:

Blessed are they that keep judgment, and he that doeth righteousness at all times.

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

If we have His life in us, being dead to sins of the flesh, we shall be saved by living His life unto God.

If we cease to be enemies of God, by dying to sins of the world as He did on the cross, and are reconciled to God by taking up our cross, then we shall be saved by living His life of righteousness and true holiness.

If His life is in us, then we will live His life, and if we continue to live His life, His life will abide in us:

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Secure eternal salvation is by living His life to keep His life in us:

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hey, Robert, even aside from the fact that John, in 1 John 1:8, says, "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us"...

giphy.gif

...why do you think the writer of Hebrews says this?

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured from sinners such hostility against Himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?"

'My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by Him. For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and chastises every son whom He receives.'
"It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, that we may share His holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."
[Hebrews 12:1-11]​
Yeah, so, why does he exhort us to lay aside sin which clings so closely, and to run with endurance, even noting explicitly our struggle against sin, if we are perfectly repented of our sin, and thus sin-free, as you say you are? And why would the Lord have to discipline us, which He does for those whom He loves, if we are perfectly repented of our sin, and thus sin-free, as you say you are? Does none of what the writer says here apply to you?

Grace and peace to you.
Hi @PinSeeker Taking up one's cross is indeed a daily matter, as the Lord Jesus says in Luke 9.23.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so you see how your doctrine does not hold true.
LOL! I see your twisting of my doctrine into something it's very much not, and railing against... something entirely else from what I have clearly said. And you do it over and over and over again, so I know it's intentional.

You say a pure heart free of lust is not attainable in this life, and then you agree an unclean heart cannot run the race lawfully in this life and must repent.
Case in point ~ the first part I said, but the part after the comma I'm not sure at all how you got. You're putting words in my mouth, yet again, very much other than anything I would have said.

You acknowledge you still have a heart of lust...
Case in point again ~ no, I didn't.

...and then confirm that no such unclean heart can run lawfully and so are destined for destruction.
Well, yes, but again, what preceded this in your attack was not true.

So you're whole diatribe, in this thread and others, is against some phantom argument that you're somehow dreaming up. You're foisting... stuff on others and then flailing away at it. It's really quite inane. And it's a recurring pattern with you.

Grace and peace to you.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Secure eternal salvation 1 began with a simple Scriptural proof that eternal salvation is only for them that obey Him.

The final conclusion of people trying to reject that was:

If God willed I never sin again, I wouldn't. And in heaven He does and I won't!

It is not God's will to obediently depart from iniquity while in the mortal body, but obedience against sins will only be required after the resurrection, while in the spiritual body.

I.e. eternal salvation is only for them who obey Him after the resurrection, not before.

Another declaration by OSAS is that God is 'exclusively sovereign' over their salvation, and they have neither responsibility to Him for it, nor are 'cooperators' with Him in it, and to teach such self-responsibility and cooperation in salvation is 'pride of works'.

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Scripture shows that with salvation, God has put His trust in His people to keep His salvation and ministry pure from vanity and hypocrisy:

Christians are entrusted by God not to put Christ to an open shame, by publicly crucifying Christ afresh through sins and trespasses, and so making His crucifixion once again a cursed thing to be despised by the unbelievers: the cross and blood of Jesus is vain, because it does not deliver from sins and trespasses common to all flesh.

Christian responsibility in salvation is to obey Him in all things in the heart and in the body, as a testimony and witness of the truth of His saving grace through obedience to the faith of Jesus: the power of His blood being able to free His people from their sins, neither to remain servants to sins, in their mortal bodies.

Otherwise, through open sins of disobedience, Jesus' salvation is made a laughingstock and scorn to them of the world:

Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?

For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

Hypocrites that preach unconditional salvation in sins, so sear their consciences to the truth, that they do not see their plain hypocrisy, that the rest of the world sees.

Jesus' salvation by grace has been scorned, since 'Christians' began to preach and believe they are saved through unconditional grace by faith alone, so that their sins are not 'seen' by God, though He sees the same sins in others: OSAS teaches that God is in fact a respecter of persons, judging the sins of one while excusing them of another.

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness...so that they are without excuse.

With salvation, God puts His trust in His people to live obediently to Him in their hearts and bodies, that none of the world my say of His Dear Son's eternal salvation:

"Oh, so you can sin like us, but you are not judged for them like us, because you 'believe in Jesus'. God sees my sins, but He doesn't see yours, because you 'have faith in Jesus'. You're not responsible for your sins and won't have to give account for them like us, because Jesus' grace has you 'covered'."

Christians are certainly responsible for God's salvation entrusted in their souls, and they are to cooperate with Him in His salvation by continual obedience to Him, that Jesus and His salvation by grace through faith be not rightly and openly scorned as a lie.

It is not about Christians that may sin and err and be forgiven through confession and repentance at the cross.

It is about having a pernicious doctrine of lies, by which their sins and errors are already forgiven, and so they have no need to repent at all:

For she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.

OSAS hypocrisy of unconditional salvation by faith alone needs no repentance from dead works, nor obedience to Jesus from the heart.

Why? Because God does not 'will it' on earth, but only later in heaven. Otherwise, of course, they would do so. Or say they say.

Repent and turn around( stop doing the sin) gets sin blotted out.( Acts 3:19)--This is the only kind of sin Jesus covers. It must be done now.
There isnt a mortal on earth who knows if another will be saved. They have no right telling them they are saved. Only the blind guides tell them that to tickle ears.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repent and turn around( stop doing the sin) gets sin blotted out.( Acts 3:19)--This is the only kind of sin Jesus covers. It must be done now.
There isnt a mortal on earth who knows if another will be saved. They have no right telling them they are saved. Only the blind guides tell them that to tickle ears.
True. We can preach what is written only, but we have no business confirming for someone else they are saved.

We can only work out our own salvation to obey the gospel as written in Scripture.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL! I see your twisting of my doctrine into something it's very much not, and railing against... something entirely else from what I have clearly said. And you do it over and over and over again, so I know it's intentional.

Case in point ~ the first part I said, but the part after the comma I'm not sure at all how you got. You're putting words in my mouth, yet again, very much other than anything I would have said.

Case in point again ~ no, I didn't.

Well, yes, but again, what preceded this in your attack was not true.

So you're whole diatribe, in this thread and others, is against some phantom argument that you're somehow dreaming up. You're foisting... stuff on others and then flailing away at it. It's really quite inane. And it's a recurring pattern with you.

Grace and peace to you.
Ok. Let's back up.

Your heart is pure before God, and you have no more lust of the world in the heart?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Secure Eternal Salvation 2
Walmart had them on special just after the confessional closed.....two for the price of one!

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Secure eternal salvation 1 began with a simple Scriptural proof that eternal salvation is only for them that obey Him.

The final conclusion of people trying to reject that was:

If God willed I never sin again, I wouldn't. And in heaven He does and I won't!

It is not God's will to obediently depart from iniquity while in the mortal body, but obedience against sins will only be required after the resurrection, while in the spiritual body.

I.e. eternal salvation is only for them who obey Him after the resurrection, not before.

Another declaration by OSAS is that God is 'exclusively sovereign' over their salvation, and they have neither responsibility to Him for it, nor are 'cooperators' with Him in it, and to teach such self-responsibility and cooperation in salvation is 'pride of works'.

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Scripture shows that with salvation, God has put His trust in His people to keep His salvation and ministry pure from vanity and hypocrisy:

Christians are entrusted by God not to put Christ to an open shame, by publicly crucifying Christ afresh through sins and trespasses, and so making His crucifixion once again a cursed thing to be despised by the unbelievers: the cross and blood of Jesus is vain, because it does not deliver from sins and trespasses common to all flesh.

Christian responsibility in salvation is to obey Him in all things in the heart and in the body, as a testimony and witness of the truth of His saving grace through obedience to the faith of Jesus: the power of His blood being able to free His people from their sins, neither to remain servants to sins, in their mortal bodies.

Otherwise, through open sins of disobedience, Jesus' salvation is made a laughingstock and scorn to them of the world:

Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?

For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

Hypocrites that preach unconditional salvation in sins, so sear their consciences to the truth, that they do not see their plain hypocrisy, that the rest of the world sees.

Jesus' salvation by grace has been scorned, since 'Christians' began to preach and believe they are saved through unconditional grace by faith alone, so that their sins are not 'seen' by God, though He sees the same sins in others: OSAS teaches that God is in fact a respecter of persons, judging the sins of one while excusing them of another.

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness...so that they are without excuse.

With salvation, God puts His trust in His people to live obediently to Him in their hearts and bodies, that none of the world my say of His Dear Son's eternal salvation:

"Oh, so you can sin like us, but you are not judged for them like us, because you 'believe in Jesus'. God sees my sins, but He doesn't see yours, because you 'have faith in Jesus'. You're not responsible for your sins and won't have to give account for them like us, because Jesus' grace has you 'covered'."

Christians are certainly responsible for God's salvation entrusted in their souls, and they are to cooperate with Him in His salvation by continual obedience to Him, that Jesus and His salvation by grace through faith be not rightly and openly scorned as a lie.

It is not about Christians that may sin and err and be forgiven through confession and repentance at the cross.

It is about having a pernicious doctrine of lies, by which their sins and errors are already forgiven, and so they have no need to repent at all:

For she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.

OSAS hypocrisy of unconditional salvation by faith alone needs no repentance from dead works, nor obedience to Jesus from the heart.

Why? Because God does not 'will it' on earth, but only later in heaven. Otherwise, of course, they would do so. Or say they say.
Very good post with some excellent points.

I would like to interject the following three verses into the discussion (what I'm about to say applies to born again Christians only):

1 Pet 1:23,

being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by [the] living and abiding word of God.
Eph 2:10,

For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God has before prepared that we should walk in them.
Heb 10:14,

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
I'd think one has to admit that their sinning cancells out incorruptible seed, God's workmanship, and being perfected forever is a bit strange. What does incorruptible mean if not something that doesn't corrupt? Did God perform shoddy workmanship when he put Christ in them (Col 1:27)? How does one negate something that Jesus perfected forever?

I don't know about you, but I sin multiple times a day. Any idea on how many I get before I make the incorruptible seed corrupt, destroy God's workmanship, or annul the perfection Jesus gave me? I'd think it would drive the Christian nuts over worry about their standing with the Father if they think they could lose their salvation by committing some arbitrary number of sins. At least it would ruin my life if I had to worry about that!

Though I sin, I always try to confess them, to admit them to God, and He is gracious enough to forgive me and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness (you too by the way).

1 John 1:8-9,

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.​

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
This looks petty open ended. I don't see there is a limit. If I confess one sin, God will forgive me. If I commit one million sins, God will forgive me one million times. Seems a bit strange to our judgmental human ears, but I don't know how to take it any other way. God must know something we don't know. Of course He does!

The more I know God and His true graciousness, the more I will want to serve Him. I don't make resolutions, "I'll stop doing this or that." or, "I'm never going to commit that sin again." Nobody can do that.

Rom 7:18,

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.​

The whole 7th chapter of Romans is a great commentary on the uselessness of working on the flesh. "No good thing" is pretty clear. You can's make a silk purse form a sow's ear.

Our faithful walk comes, not from taming the flesh, but from looking towards the savior from sin, our Lord Jesus Christ. I don't look at my flesh since there is no good thing in it! I don't look to my sins, but to the savior of my sins.

Gal 3:1-3,

1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
God bless you brother, and may He do something real special just for you today.