Serious question...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know this is probably off topic, but I will ask anyways. I have this one family member that blames everything on coffee. I tell him about my cystic fibrosis problems and they are many that come up not to mention my mental state isn't so well these days. But his answer is that all of my problems would go away if I just gave up the coffee. And I do see the interesting non factual assessment of my health problems. Sometimes I just want to hear the scientific facts but that's what I get.

He doesn't smoke and whenever anyone that smokes has some random health problem he always says "it's because you smoke". Sometimes I feel stupider talking to him, so the question I have is "can talking to someone lower your IQ"? I seriously need to know because I don't think I can afford to lose anymore IQ points.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those of you that don't know: My mom was a nurse that graduated 98% in her class and gave pretty solid medical advice. But she passed away a couple years ago, and now that family member is the only one to talk to about my worries. Mom warned me about that before she died but I still do it, go to them for advice. I'm trying to ween myself off their medical interaction, but it's difficult.

Whenever I open my mouth it's "coffee this and tobacco that" and alcohol has come up, and they're all evil to them. I've tried to soften the blows but it doesn't seem to help to open a dialog.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me share an example of how stupid I feel: I started drinking grape juice to try and incorporate fruit into my diet. And it seemed to be pleasant for a while. Meanwhile I developed terrible stomach upset. I didn't see any connection to grape juice so I reported the problem to the family member. They suggested eating a small amount of banana to alleviate my problems as they suggested it was probably stomach acid. I thought "how stupid as if eating a banana would solve my problem". So I looked it up on the internet after a while and saw that it did have some antacid properties. So I of course tried it. And the family member forcefully asserted that it was all I need and that stopping the grape juice was fruitless.

Long story short: I had one episode of really bad stomach pain upset followed by really bad flu symptoms so I finally called the doctor. He prescribed "Pepsid" antacid for my stomach. I really didn't want to add any more meds, so I looked up the side effects and immediate red flags came up.

In the end I quit drinking grape juice and haven't had a problem since. Am I taking the prescribed meds, definitely not. But I learned something. I even keep eating the bananas because my potassium levels were super in the labs the doctor took. Something that was unusual for someone with cystic fibrosis.

I learned that I'm not sure I can follow anyone but my own intuition sent from God. Cheers!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
juice will give you a sugar spike. Not good for the sake of diabetes. If you drink juice, it is good to eat good fats along with it (ie. avocado, extra-virgin olive oil, fat in meat or etc) as that will slow down the sugar spike. it's good to just eat grapes with the skin as the fibre slows down sugar spike too just like it's good to eat the actual orange with skin and fibre on it than it is to drink orange juice. This is a fact and not an opinion. God bless.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find that being with someone who's IQ is lower than yours can make you more stupid as you often have to stoop down to their level of IQ or EQ to fit in if you're around them often and if you're their friend, but I don't find it to be true if you're a caregiver and maybe something else.

Reactions: Debp and dev553344

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm so sorry, Devin.

You are in need of a good support friend or group which you seem to lack in your family.

Anytime we engage with ppl, we put ourselves at risk for their potentials of flaws to creep into whom we are also and vice versa.

I know it seems difficult to only have deep communications with Jesus, as we have no visual of him, in person, buuuuuut...I'm going to say that maybe this is what you should do. If you have a situation, an illness, a difficulty ect. arise just talk to him. Give his response time a few days for him to lead you to the answer.

Remember he does know us throughout and being the awesome friend that he is, in laying down his life for you, me, us. Never, other than possibly a mother can one find a friend so true.

I know you have difficulties in health, mental capabilities, self help, family but know this you are being upheld in prayer.

None of us know what another is truly dealing with, walking through, having severe struggles about; but he does know and his love will guide us to what we need when we seek him.❤️

Ps; js do not seek advice from this family member and put them also in God's hand. Believing you will find your friend with compassion and understanding.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
his answer is that all of my problems would go away if I just gave up the coffee.

He doesn't smoke and whenever anyone that smokes has some random health problem he always says "it's because you smoke".

iu

High sugar content isn't the only issue.

High calorie diets are notoriously *not good* for health.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
we must not just because other people's opinion or advice is at times different than our own, ignore the other person as sometimes even our own opinion or advice is not the greatest but if someone's opinion or advice is always bad and has no merit or isn't knowledgeable or factual then we should keep a distance.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know this is probably off topic, but I will ask anyways. I have this one family member that blames everything on coffee. I tell him about my cystic fibrosis problems and they are many that come up not to mention my mental state isn't so well these days. But his answer is that all of my problems would go away if I just gave up the coffee. And I do see the interesting non factual assessment of my health problems. Sometimes I just want to hear the scientific facts but that's what I get.

He doesn't smoke and whenever anyone that smokes has some random health problem he always says "it's because you smoke". Sometimes I feel stupider talking to him, so the question I have is "can talking to someone lower your IQ"? I seriously need to know because I don't think I can afford to lose anymore IQ points.
Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. Prov. 13:20

Take one twin child who is adopted by some simple minded, godless, Hillbilly patents in Mississippi and the other adopted by two Christian professors, how do you think they will turn out? One will certainly be more knowledgble and wiser than the other.
Intelligence is the ability to solve problems. Both kids could start with an equivalent IQ, but with one given more opportunities to exercise and grow his ability to solve problems, he will be more able when as adults they were presented with the same problem solving tests.

That said, how much coffee are you drinking and what is in your coffee? Because a cup of black coffee with no sugar is much more healthy than a Venti Carmel Macchiotto with 84g of sugar. That is 3 ounces of sugar - HELLO!
Lots of sugar is unhealthy!!! A limited amount of coffee/caffeine is okay but if you are drinking 5 cups/day, that's not good. It will raise your blood pressure, create anxiety and is acidic, so could lead to stomach problems. There is low acid coffee and decaffeinated.
Caffeine is a diuretic. It depletes your water. So you need to replenish your water intake. I know, people think coffee is made with water so they are getting their water. Partially you are but the caffeine has a negative effect.

* If medical science discovered that coffee was unhealthy, do you think they would expose the truth about it, given the hundreds of billions of dollars profited? The Coffee Cartels would pay off those doctors, bury the reports, destroy them; OR flood the internet with their own reports given by their own doctors with opposite views. I drink a cup or two. But it may he harmful to some people? My wife has high blood pressure and chronic stomach issues. Coffee is not her friend, so low acid/ decaf is more tolerable. It's so good though. The country is addicted.

A wise saying: " Take everything in moderation."

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks guys, not really looking for medical advice. Just venting. But no I don't have sugar in my diet or coffee.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know this is probably off topic, but I will ask anyways.
The good news is, since this is the opening post of your own thread, it defines the topic so it can't possibly be "off-topic".

I doubt if talking with others can actually lower your IQ, but it might get you into some bad intellectual habits.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we must not just because other people's opinion or advice is at times different than our own, ignore the other person as sometimes even our own opinion or advice is not the greatest but if someone's opinion or advice is always bad and has no merit or isn't knowledgeable or factual then we should keep a distance.
Or in other words, develop a good bulls*** detector.

• Haha

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me, I spend significant time talking to my dog. If she starts talking back, that's probably when I should get concerned.
The computer talks back to me sometimes because of my schizophrenia. Or maybe it's the AI ghost in the machine. Oh well, I usually just try to ignore him.

• Haha
Reactions: Debp and Lambano

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
iu

High sugar content isn't the only issue.

High calorie diets are notoriously *not good* for health.
Who can afford that stuff? Mine is Classico from amazon (actually cheaper than Walmart and huge container), and Great Value Creamer from Walmart. Best tasting instant--tastes close to QT or 7-11 coffee.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find that being with someone who's IQ is lower than yours can make you more stupid as you often have to stoop down to their level of IQ or EQ to fit in if you're around them often and if you're their friend, but I don't find it to be true if you're a caregiver and maybe something else.
I don't want this to sound like I'm rude or looking down on someone aimlessly as I didn't know how to word it other than "stoop down" and I didn't want to write down what I was relating the experience to with the tone. What I really meant was that I had a friend who was more of a foolish vs being a wise person and I was much more the wise or goody-two-shoe and you could sense that she always had to be the best so I felt I always had to try and seem like I wasn't more wise or anything but her IQ and EQ was lower than mine. That was what I was trying to relate to and say when I used those words.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Solutions to problems associated with one's health are often simpler than we want to believe. So why don't we want to believe them? Because it will cost!

Firstly there is the cost of coming out of denial and secondly there is the cost and determination to break a loved habit.....be it what you put in your body via your mouth or your lungs ....or that of sufficient exercise to get your heart really pumping and your lungs pushing the limits of extracting all the oxygen available.

Illness can also be a 'comfort zone' because it's familiar.

Ultimately, we live in our own skin and for the most part enjoy or suffer the consequences of our choices.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had one episode of really bad stomach pain upset followed by really bad flu symptoms so I finally called the doctor. He prescribed "Pepsid" antacid for my stomach. I really didn't want to add any more meds, so I looked up the side effects and immediate red flags came up.
Glad your stomach got better.

Dr. Oz mentioned if a person eats a handful of pistachios every day, they won't get acid indigestion.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glad your stomach got better.

Dr. Oz mentioned if a person eats a handful of pistachios every day, they won't get acid indigestion.
It is mentioned that if a one comes to Christ and feasts daily upon the Word and words of the LORD
they wont get acid deception either .
Feasting on the bible is good for the soul of a lamb . Now lift those hands and praise the glorious LORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime