Seventh day Adventism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Merriam Webster's number 1 definition of "cult" is: : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious.

Judaism regards Christianity as an unorthodox and spurious religion. Therefore, Christianity is a cult in their eyes. In fact, every religion is a cult as viewed by another religion. The "cult" label is used by religionists to strike fear in the hearts of their own members so that they do not look into the claims of the cult. Protestants were forming a new cult in the eyes of Catholics. Yet, the Protestants were often correct in what they were teaching. Sometimes they were wrong. Any "cult" should have their beliefs checked against Scripture. To not examine the beliefs of a cult is to possibly reject truth as Catholics have done with Protestant beliefs such as justification by faith.
Merriam Webster's number 1 definition of "cult" is: : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious.

Judaism regards Christianity as an unorthodox and spurious religion. Therefore, Christianity is a cult in their eyes. In fact, every religion is a cult as viewed by another religion. The "cult" label is used by religionists to strike fear in the hearts of their own members so that they do not look into the claims of the cult. Protestants were forming a new cult in the eyes of Catholics. Yet, the Protestants were often correct in what they were teaching. Sometimes they were wrong. Any "cult" should have their beliefs checked against Scripture. To not examine the beliefs of a cult is to possibly reject truth as Catholics have done with Protestant beliefs such as justification by faith.

You are citing secular definitions.

B

brakelite

I agree with everything you wrote except "doctrines". Doctrines are very important and our Father looks for who is believing the truth (correct doctrines) (John 4:23-24). We cannot separate truth and doctrines. If we do not have correct doctrines, then we don't have the truth on that particular issue. Of course, the main truth to have is Yeshua, but the Father desires for us to walk in other truths (doctrines) as well (John 16:13; 17:17). Paul said one of the reasons for Scripture is to believe correct doctrine (2 Timothy 3:16). Right before that he said,

2Ti 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
2Ti 3:11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
In other words, the love (charity) Paul had towards YHWH and man was very important, but so were Paul's doctrines. Our Father sees both and looks for both. By seeing our doctrines and love, He sees our hearts as well.
I agree. Doctrine matters

B

brakelite

So how am I to answer these videos @CoreIssue ? Because the reason I ask is that there are answers to every single one of the points they raise. In fact, just 2 minutes into the video of the Kim dude he said, quote: Jehovah's Witnesses have a silly argument (chortle chortle) in that they answer texts "teaching" eternal torment by saying they are annihilated "forever and ever". So then he laughs and jokes, "how can anyone be annihilated forever and ever? Once one is annihilated they are gone right? Ha Ha ha".... I think that for a so-called doctor, this guy is very dim, and for you, a self professed intelligence analyst and politician, you are very dim for posting such nonsense. I mean, is manipulating simple grammar all he's got? And BTW, we are not Jehovah's Witnesses. Even though we may agree that eternal torment is error, doesn't mean we agree on the alternative. This thread is about SDAs. So I stopped listening after that first stupid remark, and ask again, how do I answer a video that is clearly filled with the same nonsensical arguments that have been dragged up for centuries to support the Catholic eternal torment chicken dung doctrine? If you want a discussion, then let us have one by all means. But this video nonsense? I could post numerous videos on our perspective. And they will make far more sense than anything you can produce spewing the same lies and maligning the character of God in the manner of eternal torment.
Anyone supporting eternal torment needs to get to know their God better. And their Bibles, because anyone who truly studies this topic will find the weight of Biblical evidence vastly greater in support of the concept that the wages of sin, death means exactly that...a loss of life. And you will not find one Biblical example, nor even a secular one, that says otherwise. The soul that sinneth, it shall die.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how am I to answer these videos @CoreIssue ? Because the reason I ask is that there are answers to every single one of the points they raise. In fact, just 2 minutes into the video of the Kim dude he said, quote: Jehovah's Witnesses have a silly argument (chortle chortle) in that they answer texts "teaching" eternal torment by saying they are annihilated "forever and ever". So then he laughs and jokes, "how can anyone be annihilated forever and ever? Once one is annihilated they are gone right? Ha Ha ha".... I think that for a so-called doctor, this guy is very dim, and for you, a self professed intelligence analyst and politician, you are very dim for posting such nonsense. I mean, is manipulating simple grammar all he's got? And BTW, we are not Jehovah's Witnesses. Even though we may agree that eternal torment is error, doesn't mean we agree on the alternative. This thread is about SDAs. So I stopped listening after that first stupid remark, and ask again, how do I answer a video that is clearly filled with the same nonsensical arguments that have been dragged up for centuries to support the Catholic eternal torment chicken dung doctrine? If you want a discussion, then let us have one by all means. But this video nonsense? I could post numerous videos on our perspective. And they will make far more sense than anything you can produce spewing the same lies and maligning the character of God in the manner of eternal torment.
Anyone supporting eternal torment needs to get to know their God better. And their Bibles, because anyone who truly studies this topic will find the weight of Biblical evidence vastly greater in support of the concept that the wages of sin, death means exactly that...a loss of life. And you will not find one Biblical example, nor even a secular one, that says otherwise. The soul that sinneth, it shall die.

There is no difference to you addressing what is said in the videos addressing links and posted quotes.

See, you just responded to one here. So do not tell me you cannot do it.

Plus the topic of the video was annihilation, so it address both JW and SDA that you both believe in that.

But here you are trying to dismiss the as a JW only video.

Giving false arguments. Just quote the parts you don't like and address them.

As with what you attempted here the video most assuredly quotes the Bible verses that states being in the lake of fire has no end, ever.

B

brakelite

As with what you attempted here the video most assuredly quotes the Bible verses that states being in the lake of fire has no end, ever.
Okay, great, now we engaging on a person to person basis...having a conversation. That is what I was referring to. I don't know what verses you are referring to above specifically, as I didn't watch all the video. But I have been discussing this topic off and on for 20 years now with people just like you...just like the people in the videos and others here on this forum, convinced that man is innately immortal, and that death does not mean death, but eternal life in disguise. Or that only the body dies, but our spirits are immortal, and cannot die. Or maybe they can die, but God intervenes and deliberately works at keeping them alive in order to suffer.
But as for those verses you are referring to, I haven't had anyone actually quote such a verse to me yet...a verse that says someone will be in the lake of fire for ever, without end. You suggest that there are more than one verse saying that...strange how I haven't read any in the Bible that does actually say, sinners will suffer and burn for ever and ever without end. I have seen verses that say the fire cannot be put out. I have seen verses (one anyway) that say the smoke of their torment goes up forever. I have seen verses that say the punishment (note: noun, not verb punishing) inflicted upon sinners is eternal. But no where in scripture have I found any stating categorically that any sinner will be suffering forever in the lake of fire, conscious of his surroundings and aware of his pain and situation. In other words, alive eternally being punished continually without respite or end.
If however you know of some, then by all means produce them now, and I will leave Adventism immediately and recommend to my church that it repents for teaching heresy. If however you fail to produce such evidence, then your protestations against me, and my church's beliefs on this subject become rather moot do they not?

Reactions: gadar perets

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But no where in scripture have I found any stating categorically that any sinner will be suffering forever in the lake of fire...
I don't wish to get in the middle of your discussions, but if we agree that the Lake of Fire is Gehenna, which is eternal Hell, then Jesus Himself spoke of eternal torment many times. You can check it out for yourself.

B

brakelite

but if we agree that the Lake of Fire is Gehenna, which is eternal Hell,
There is where I must first pull you up. Was this word, Gehenna, not a transliteration of the Hebrew place name Valley of Hinnom, a rubbish dump outside Jerusalem? Thus the word 'hell', Gehenna, was a metaphor for a place of burning, a fire which could not be quenched. However, one must ask a couple of questions. Though the fire could not be quenched, is that fire still burning? And secondly, is there anything still in that place that hasn't been long gone, decomposed, obliterated into non-existence because it is all burnt up? Surely the reason there is no fire still burning there is because there is no longer any fuel to give it life. Even fire dies without input.

Jesus Himself spoke of eternal torment many times.
Not exactly no, He didn't. He spoke of a punishment that was eternal, yes. And He spoke of fire that couldn't be put out, yes. And He spoke of sinners being thrown into that fire. Absolutely. But what He did not say in the context of our conversation, is even more important than what He did say. Because what Jesus did not say was that those sinners would burn in that fire for ever and forever. In as much as you would like there to be verses which state that, there aren't any. Not one.
Which brings us to another conclusion. A conclusion based on another truth of scripture which you and Core Issue and numerous others do not like to confront...a truth which clearly is revealed throughout scripture, that man is not immortal, either in body, soul, or spirit, or in any other form you would like to present. This truth is based primarily on two undebatable truths. One, only God is immortal. Two, eternal life is given as a gift to the redeemed only...not to sinners. Thus the conclusion we must come to if we are willing to consider scripture in all its context without assumption and tradition spoiling the recipe, is that the sinner's fate in the lake of fire, Gehenna, a fire which no man can put out being unquenchable (the normal understanding of that word) , must be limited to the time appointed him as to the severity of the 'stripes', whether few or many, that is proportional to the punishment deserved. And in the end, he dies. Literally.
Now of course I cannot force you to agree with what I have presented above. You can disagree with it until the day you pass into eternity. But what you cannot do is convince me that what I have presented is not Biblical. Nor can you convince me that Jesus taught anything different. At least not without a "thus sayeth the Lord" as evidence in support. Thus far I have never seen that. And I believe that if you and others here were honest before man and God, you would admit as much.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is where I must first pull you up. Was this word, Gehenna, not a transliteration of the Hebrew place name Valley of Hinnom, a rubbish dump outside Jerusalem? Thus the word 'hell', Gehenna, was a metaphor for a place of burning, a fire which could not be quenched. However, one must ask a couple of questions. Though the fire could not be quenched, is that fire still burning? And secondly, is there anything still in that place that hasn't been long gone, decomposed, obliterated into non-existence because it is all burnt up? Surely the reason there is no fire still burning there is because there is no longer any fuel to give it life. Even fire dies without input.

Not exactly no, He didn't. He spoke of a punishment that was eternal, yes. And He spoke of fire that couldn't be put out, yes. And He spoke of sinners being thrown into that fire. Absolutely. But what He did not say in the context of our conversation, is even more important than what He did say. Because what Jesus did not say was that those sinners would burn in that fire for ever and forever. In as much as you would like there to be verses which state that, there aren't any. Not one.
Which brings us to another conclusion. A conclusion based on another truth of scripture which you and Core Issue and numerous others do not like to confront...a truth which clearly is revealed throughout scripture, that man is not immortal, either in body, soul, or spirit, or in any other form you would like to present. This truth is based primarily on two undebatable truths. One, only God is immortal. Two, eternal life is given as a gift to the redeemed only...not to sinners. Thus the conclusion we must come to if we are willing to consider scripture in all its context without assumption and tradition spoiling the recipe, is that the sinner's fate in the lake of fire, Gehenna, a fire which no man can put out being unquenchable (the normal understanding of that word) , must be limited to the time appointed him as to the severity of the 'stripes', whether few or many, that is proportional to the punishment deserved. And in the end, he dies. Literally.
Now of course I cannot force you to agree with what I have presented above. You can disagree with it until the day you pass into eternity. But what you cannot do is convince me that what I have presented is not Biblical. Nor can you convince me that Jesus taught anything different. At least not without a "thus sayeth the Lord" as evidence in support. Thus far I have never seen that. And I believe that if you and others here were honest before man and God, you would admit as much.
yes, it's very primary. It cannot get more primary.....the soul that sins will die. Did God need to qualify his words? I don't think so but he did add from dust you came, to dust you will return. Adam knew he was a living soul and what he was composed of, so did the entire watching universe. They also understood the sentence succinctly as did Satan yet he said to Eve, you will not surely die; the polar opposite.
We are left to choose who we will believe.

Reactions: brakelite

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” Isaiah 8:20. . . .
Those who endeavor to obey all the commandments of God will be opposed and derided. They can stand only in God. In order to endure the trial before them, they must understand the will of God as revealed in His word; they can honor Him only as they have a right conception of His character, government, and purposes, and act in accordance with them. None but those who have fortified the mind with the truths of the Bible will stand through the last great conflict. To every soul will come the searching test: Shall I obey God rather than men? The decisive hour is even now at hand. Are our feet planted on the rock of God's immutable word? Are we prepared to stand firm in defense of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus?'
I totally agree with these words by Ellen G. White. The "testimony" of Isaiah 8:20 refers to the Ten Commandments. The "law" in that verse refers to Torah or the rest of YHWH's commandments, including His holy Feast Days. Concerning the seven annual sabbaths and holy convocations known collectively as the Feasts, Ellen G. White wrote, "If the children of Israel needed the benefit of these holy convocations in their time, how much more do we need them in these last days of peril and conflict!" - 6 Testimonies 39,40. Why, then, don't SDAs keep the Feasts?

Reactions: Phoneman777

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh give me a break!!!!!! View attachment 5856

So you must feel that your "mission for God is not to preach the Good News, but just point out where everyone else is wrong ...and you are right!!

Most people won't watch videos. They prefer people posting from their hearts themselves, not just dishing up another man's canned stuff.

Like God said about the Manna...if you keep it and don't gather and eat it...it will stink!
As a Seventh-day Adventist, I don't mind his videos or his criticism. He's doing what he believes is right, however wrong he is about my faith. However, if he starts publishing encyclicals bragging "the church lit the fires of the Spanish inquisition" (like you know who), that would be a bit problematic for me LOL

Reactions: Helen

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This Vet learned long time ago all that happens when you tried to be nice to an enemy is they defeat you.

Cults are enemies of Christianity.
Would you define a Christian "cult" as a group who departs from the teaching and example of Jesus?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” Isaiah 8:20. The people of God are directed to the Scriptures as their safeguard against the influence of false teachers and the delusive power of spirits of darkness. Satan employs every possible device to prevent men from obtaining a knowledge of the Bible; for its plain utterances reveal his deceptions. At every revival of God's work the prince of evil is aroused to more intense activity; he is now putting forth his utmost efforts for a final struggle against Christ and His followers. The last great delusion is soon to open before us. Antichrist is to perform his marvelous works in our sight. So closely will the counterfeit resemble the true that it will be impossible to distinguish between them except by the Holy Scriptures. By their testimony every statement and every miracle must be tested.
Those who endeavor to obey all the commandments of God will be opposed and derided. They can stand only in God. In order to endure the trial before them, they must understand the will of God as revealed in His word; they can honor Him only as they have a right conception of His character, government, and purposes, and act in accordance with them. None but those who have fortified the mind with the truths of the Bible will stand through the last great conflict. To every soul will come the searching test: Shall I obey God rather than men? The decisive hour is even now at hand. Are our feet planted on the rock of God's immutable word? Are we prepared to stand firm in defense of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus?'
But God will have a people upon the earth to maintain the Bible, and the Bible only, as the standard of all doctrines and the basis of all reforms. The opinions of learned men, the deductions of science, the creeds or decisions of ecclesiastical councils, as numerous and discordant as are the churches which they represent, the voice of the majority—not one nor all of these should be regarded as evidence for or against any point of religious faith. Before accepting any doctrine or precept, we should demand a plain “Thus saith the Lord” in its support.
Satan is constantly endeavoring to attract attention to man in the place of God. He leads the people to look to bishops, to pastors, to professors of theology, as their guides, instead of searching the Scriptures to learn their duty for themselves. Then, by controlling the minds of these leaders, he can influence the multitudes according to his will.
When Christ came to speak the words of life, the common people heard Him gladly; and many, even of the priests and rulers, believed on Him. But the chief of the priesthood and the leading men of the nation were determined to condemn and repudiate His teachings. Though they were baffled in all their efforts to find accusations against Him, though they could not but feel the influence of the divine power and wisdom attending His words, yet they incased themselves in prejudice; they rejected the clearest evidence of His Messiahship, lest they should be forced to become His disciples. These opponents of Jesus were men whom the people had been taught from infancy to reverence, to whose authority they had been accustomed implicitly to bow. “How is it,” they asked, “that our rulers and learned scribes do not believe on Jesus? Would not these pious men receive Him if He were the Christ?” It was the influence of such teachers that led the Jewish nation to reject their Redeemer.
The spirit which actuated those priests and rulers is still manifested by many who make a high profession of piety. They refuse to examine the testimony of the Scriptures concerning the special truths for this time. They point to their own numbers, wealth, and popularity, and look with contempt upon the advocates of truth as few, poor, and unpopular, having a faith that separates them from the world.
E G White.
Core Issue cracks me up LOL

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you define a Christian "cult" as a group who departs from the teaching and example of Jesus?

Theologically, a cult is a group that claims to be part of a mainstream religion but rejects core teachings and beliefs thereof.

So yes, a Christian cult is one that claims to be Christian but does not adhere to biblical teaching on issues of salvation, who Christ is and who God is.

As with the SDA, they push salvation by works, identify Jesus as Michael the Archangel, deny spirits are eternal as in annihilation of the damned.

They make Ellen G White the arbitrator of the Bible, who gives Bible prophecy not found in the Bible.

B

brakelite

I totally agree with these words by Ellen G. White. The "testimony" of Isaiah 8:20 refers to the Ten Commandments. The "law" in that verse refers to Torah or the rest of YHWH's commandments, including His holy Feast Days. Concerning the seven annual sabbaths and holy convocations known collectively as the Feasts, Ellen G. White wrote, "If the children of Israel needed the benefit of these holy convocations in their time, how much more do we need them in these last days of peril and conflict!" - 6 Testimonies 39,40. Why, then, don't SDAs keep the Feasts?
Good question. I think personally that it's great to understand fully their significance as shadows and the means to a more complete appreciation of Christ's ministry as sacrifice, priest, prophet, mediator, and intercessor. However, actual observation of the feasts as a ritual I think is a matter of choice rather than obligation such as is the weekly Sabbath. Many SDAs do observe them, and the church itself does not upbraid them for doing so.

B

brakelite

deny spirits are eternal as in annihilation of the damned.
We do indeed. That is because only God, who is Spirit, is immortal. Thus the only immortal spirit. Humans it seems to us are excluded from possessing that rather exclusive and unique attribute.

Reactions: Phoneman777

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Please forgive me, but I, born and raised and to the age of about 30 years a Seventh day Adventist, just CANNOT stomach the cowardice and hypocrisy, first of the SDA and next equally, the cowardice and hypocrisy of the evangelicals and others supposedly Protestants. I just despise the LOT.

Now everything the 'big churches' accuse and critisize the SDA of, THEY ARE GUILTY OF AS WELL.

I know, because I experienced it like no one else ever did.

HEAR THERE the silence!

Another living proof of what I am saying. Just HEAR the silence.

You can't hear it? GOD HEARS IT.

AND, you, hear it; listen to me, Gerhard Ebersöhn. And what you hear but say you don't hear, is the STONES Jesus said would call out : to you, ALL, his DEAF AND BLIND, confessing but living in denial, Church.