Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I am sure this has been talked about before, but Ive been convicted over the years to stop participating in Halloween. Though I am not against fall festivals at churches and think it is a great witness opportunity, here are reasons why I will be staying home on Halloween.

First of all, Halloween is also the shortened name of Allhalloween, All Hallows’ Evening, and All Saint’s Eve, which is celebrated on October 31st. It is also a religious holiday for Satanists and Wiccan faiths. I did not believe this part until I had a friend who was a witch for 30 years and was completely delivered from it. She told me some scarey stories, true stories, of what they actually did on Halloween. But I will not be going into the roots, but the reasons why I personally believe Halloween is ethically wrong for someone proclaiming Christ to celebrate.

1. Halloween breeds fear

Ephesians 5:11, “And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.”

1 Thessalonians 5:22

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Some good questions to ask yourself are:

Does Halloween fill me with faith or fear?

Yes, Halloween celebrates fear—the theme of darkness, graves, blood, skulls, vampires, witches and wizards infuse fear.

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

If God does not give us a spirit of fear but 365 times tells us not to fear, why will we invite fear by a celebration that breeds fear?

How I’m I honoring God in this celebration?

1 Corinthians 10:20

But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

About the dark and ghoulish themes and scarey stories:

Leviticus 20:27 tells us that anyone who practiced witchcraft, soothsaying, sorcery should be killed.

Deuteronomy 18:9-13 adds, “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you … one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord.”

Even though Christians are under the new covenant of grace, we should still be aware of what God loves and what He does not love. He said to abstain from all appearances of evil, and talks about how witchcraft is an abomination to Him. Halloween promotes being afraid and promotes dark/witches/satan/ and all the matter of monsters and other evil things. And people are dressing their CHILDREN as such.

1. Testimonies I have heard/read about

A Well known Christian evangelist(featured on Christian Broadcasting Network) who was once satanist warn against the celebration of Halloween.

A satanic priest was once quoted as saying,” He is thankful to Christian parents who allow their children to worship the devil on October 31st” Some who have been saved from such deception say it is considered one of the biggest days in satanism.

They share that they pray satanic prayers over customers and the candies to have access to the lives of, especially Christians.

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT GHOST?

Let’s see how the Bible uses the word ghost.

Firstly in the phrase “to give up the ghost,” meaning “to die.

We also see it in the Holy Trinity the HolySpirit or Holy Ghost

The Bible refers to ghosts or spirits of the dead as “familiar spirits” and warns us against having anything to do with them.

Leviticus 19:31; Deuteronomy 18:11; 2 Kings 21:6; Isaiah 8:19

1. Less Depression and Anxiety: I just have to say, since I have dropped celebrating Halloween, my anxiety for sure has went way down during this time of year. I stopped watching scarey movies and other things I know the Bible warns against and I feel very good about this decision.

If you do celebrate Halloween, I just would like to say to pay attention this year and ask yourself how you think Christ would respond to things you see. Is one day out of the year worth it? Im not against dress up or fall fun. But I highly doubt there will be Halloween in Heaven.

HALLOWEEN - Word Mission Church International

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Christians should not take part in any such at all.

Australia never had such rubbish before and now we are being exposed to it full on nowadays, it makes money so it gains support from such as well.

It's working much like the Gay movement, money drives this filth as well.

So if one was to ban such things one would face opposition from them who make money from being involved in such nonsense.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose

Do you have any thoughts on this? I know you like Halloween. I was just wondering if you ever heard anything like what I am writing about or considered it. Not trying to take the fun out. But it is something that sort of dawned on me over the years.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians should not observe Halloween.

No need to research why; it’s plainly obvious.

Well, when you are raised celebrating it, it isnt plainly obvious. It was probably in the last few years, God really convicted me about it. My church had a haunted house. I threw a Halloween party for the kids and dressed like a convict. Im correcting my mistakes starting with my kids. They have plenty of opportunities for candy and dress up. Just not for Halloween. But I also just felt strongly about sharing my view on this.

R

Rita

I wonder if it is harder if you live in the USA. I don’t know how far back trick or treating goes, but we never use to have it in the UK ( it’s been commercially added and come over from the US ) So Halloween was not really something we celebrated. There were always films about it, but obviously many were made in the US.
I don’t celebrate, and never encouraged my children to when they were younger. It was never a big thing. Now it is, but I don’t get involved. My children are adults now, they have to make their own choices. They celebrate. None of them are Christians though.

I personally have an issue with Christmas , some aspects. Christians celebrate as if it is ‘ biblical ‘. I remember as a young Christian questioning the fact that Jesus wasn’t born in December, the bible doesn’t tell us to spend loads of money on food , drink, trees, presents, cards ect ect.
Don’t get me wrong,I have wonderful memories of Christmas , but I was part of a non Christian family and love it for all the wrong reasons. I have never been able to align it all since I came to faith 40 years ago. I do celebrate it, but kind of know in my heart that I am celebrating a pagan event that Christians just latched on to ...... Easter I have no problem with as it remembers the cross, the sacrifice and new life.
It’s the same with birthdays - and no I am not a JW, and yes I do celebrate my birthday. I have often wondered if it is a Christian thing to do though, is it self indulgence ?

I guess sometimes we have to ask ourselves why we celebrate anything that is established with our societies and cultures. I was taught by a very wise pastor once to always go back to the ‘ first ‘ time something happened and understand the reasons ‘ why ‘ it was done. He was mainly talking about things in scripture , but I often apply it to other things. How many of us do things because we have always done them, we don’t question why.
Sorry, brought a lot more into the discussion, but it’s just something I often think about when discussions about one event is discussed.
Rita

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rita

Although the links show the satanic calendar it doesn’t actually make something celebrated, like Easter , as being something wrong. Just because the satanist sacrifice on good Fridays does not take away the truth or reality of Jesus’s own sacrifice, we celebrate Easter because of the victory of the resurrection as well. New life.
Ok, just considering this, perhaps it is no different to Christmas in so much as ‘ how ‘ the date is fixed and the reality that it was established around the spring equinox, although it is also around the same time as the Jewish Passover.
I know in the past I have shared a Passover meal with other Christians over the Easter period, so more aspects of that were established.
Rita

Last edited by a moderator:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rita What you can see is that the cult has "holy days" that Christians have adopted and tried to Christianize. But also, "easter" is named for Ishtar. Instead, what we should celebrate as Christians is Resurrection and Passover.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I am sure this has been talked about before, but Ive been convicted over the years to stop participating in Halloween. Though I am not against fall festivals at churches and think it is a great witness opportunity, here are reasons why I will be staying home on Halloween.

First of all, Halloween is also the shortened name of Allhalloween, All Hallows’ Evening, and All Saint’s Eve, which is celebrated on October 31st. It is also a religious holiday for Satanists and Wiccan faiths. I did not believe this part until I had a friend who was a witch for 30 years and was completely delivered from it. She told me some scarey stories, true stories, of what they actually did on Halloween. But I will not be going into the roots, but the reasons why I personally believe Halloween is ethically wrong for someone proclaiming Christ to celebrate.

1. Halloween breeds fear

Ephesians 5:11, “And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.”

1 Thessalonians 5:22

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Some good questions to ask yourself are:

Does Halloween fill me with faith or fear?

Yes, Halloween celebrates fear—the theme of darkness, graves, blood, skulls, vampires, witches and wizards infuse fear.

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

If God does not give us a spirit of fear but 365 times tells us not to fear, why will we invite fear by a celebration that breeds fear?

How I’m I honoring God in this celebration?

1 Corinthians 10:20

But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

About the dark and ghoulish themes and scarey stories:

Leviticus 20:27 tells us that anyone who practiced witchcraft, soothsaying, sorcery should be killed.

Deuteronomy 18:9-13 adds, “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you … one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord.”

Even though Christians are under the new covenant of grace, we should still be aware of what God loves and what He does not love. He said to abstain from all appearances of evil, and talks about how witchcraft is an abomination to Him. Halloween promotes being afraid and promotes dark/witches/satan/ and all the matter of monsters and other evil things. And people are dressing their CHILDREN as such.

1. Testimonies I have heard/read about

A Well known Christian evangelist(featured on Christian Broadcasting Network) who was once satanist warn against the celebration of Halloween.

A satanic priest was once quoted as saying,” He is thankful to Christian parents who allow their children to worship the devil on October 31st” Some who have been saved from such deception say it is considered one of the biggest days in satanism.

They share that they pray satanic prayers over customers and the candies to have access to the lives of, especially Christians.

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT GHOST?

Let’s see how the Bible uses the word ghost.

Firstly in the phrase “to give up the ghost,” meaning “to die.

We also see it in the Holy Trinity the HolySpirit or Holy Ghost

The Bible refers to ghosts or spirits of the dead as “familiar spirits” and warns us against having anything to do with them.

Leviticus 19:31; Deuteronomy 18:11; 2 Kings 21:6; Isaiah 8:19

1. Less Depression and Anxiety: I just have to say, since I have dropped celebrating Halloween, my anxiety for sure has went way down during this time of year. I stopped watching scarey movies and other things I know the Bible warns against and I feel very good about this decision.

If you do celebrate Halloween, I just would like to say to pay attention this year and ask yourself how you think Christ would respond to things you see. Is one day out of the year worth it? Im not against dress up or fall fun. But I highly doubt there will be Halloween in Heaven.

HALLOWEEN - Word Mission Church International

As you've indicated this is the holiday for All Saints Eve, which is a Christian holiday. So I'm sure many Christians do celebrate Halloween and rightfully so. The fact that devil worshipers and Wicca have taken the holiday to themselves and worship evil on that day is of no concern to Christians. Perhaps they'll take over Christmas too? And then you'll stop celebrating that?

Reactions: April_Rose

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you've indicated this is the holiday for All Saints Eve, which is a Christian holiday. So I'm sure many Christians do celebrate Halloween and rightfully so. The fact that devil worshipers and Wicca have taken the holiday to themselves and worship evil on that day is of no concern to Christians. Perhaps they'll take over Christmas too? And then you'll stop celebrating that?
What do you do to "celebrate Halloween"? Do you carve pumpkins to keep evil spirits away? Or do you dress up like dead people or witches? Do you put gravestones in your yard? Or what?

Actually, what satanists do to innocent children on Halloween is a concern to Christians. We need to pray around this time of the year for those who are victims of satanic abuse!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you do to "celebrate Halloween"? Do you carve pumpkins to keep evil spirits away? Or do you dress up like dead people or witches? Do you put gravestones in your yard? Or what?
It's been a while since I celebrated Halloween, I still enjoy the time of year, the cold air reminds me of the fun in trick or treating as a child. I just stay home and watch a fun movie like this year I'll be watching Van Helsing.
Actually, what satanists do to innocent children on Halloween is a concern to Christians. We need to pray around this time of the year for those who are victims of satanic abuse!
I would think what Satanists do period should be of concern to Christians, seeing that they serve the enemy. But I don't concern myself too much with what evil people do. If they hurt children then there is law enforcement and prison for them. I wouldn't think Satanists escape the criminal justice system too much if they behave like what you say. I would be careful that you're not misled by anti-Halloween propaganda or fake news.

Reactions: April_Rose

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm curious and think it might be good for you to post some news articles on this type of abuse as I really have never seen anything in the news regarding this. I did find this: Dad falsely accused of 'satanic' abuse speaks of ordeal

And this: List of satanic ritual abuse allegations - Wikipedia

As you can see, not a lot going on with Satanic Ritual Abuse in the USA. In fact it was almost non. I don't think it's wise to engage in unfounded panic.

Noting that none of what I saw for the USA was conducted on Halloween. This idea of Ritual Satanic Abuse on Halloween is propagated by certain members here without any news stories cited as to actual occurrences.

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's been a while since I celebrated Halloween, I still enjoy the time of year, the cold air reminds me of the fun in trick or treating as a child. I just stay home and watch a fun movie like this year I'll be watching Van Helsing.

I would think what Satanists do period should be of concern to Christians, seeing that they serve the enemy. But I don't concern myself too much with what evil people do. If they hurt children then there is law enforcement and prison for them. I wouldn't think Satanists escape the criminal justice system too much if they behave like what you say. I would be careful that you're not misled by anti-Halloween propaganda or fake news.
Lol, "anti-Halloween propaganda"? Is this a huge problem in the world--that people are going around saying bad things about Halloween? Maybe it's high time Christians spoke out about the evils of this day.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm curious and think it might be good for you to post some news articles on this type of abuse as I really have never seen anything in the news regarding this. I did find this: Dad falsely accused of 'satanic' abuse speaks of ordeal

And this: List of satanic ritual abuse allegations - Wikipedia

As you can see, not a lot going on with Satanic Ritual Abuse in the USA. In fact it was almost non. I don't think it's wise to engage in unfounded panic.

Noting that none of what I saw for the USA was conducted on Halloween. This idea of Ritual Satanic Abuse on Halloween is propagated by certain members here without any news stories cited as to actual occurrences.

I think that @TLHKAJ would be better suited to address this than I am. Could it be that the Wiki articles you linked to are the real "Fake News"? I would say it's common knowledge that satanic ritual abuse happens on Halloween.

Just a personal note, every year the Holy Spirit leads me to pray on that day and do warfare against the powers of the devil! And this Halloween will be no exception.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol, "anti-Halloween propaganda"? Is this a huge problem in the world--that people are going around saying bad things about Halloween? Maybe it's high time Christians spoke out about the evils of this day.

Please remember where the slang "Halloween" comes from, it's All Hallows' Eve, the Christian holiday.

Reactions: historyb and TLHKAJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that @TLHKAJ would be better suited to address this than I am. Could it be that the Wiki articles you linked to are the real "Fake News"? I would say it's common knowledge that satanic ritual abuse happens on Halloween.

Just a personal note, every year the Holy Spirit leads me to pray on that day and do warfare against the powers of the devil! And this Halloween will be no exception.

Like I said, I looked for news on the subject and it came up empty except for some false claims. Regarding @TLHKAJ, do they have any evidential information? I'm a factual person and require facts to form an opinion.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please remember where the slang "Halloween" comes from, it's All Hallows' Eve, the Christian holiday.
That’s the christianized name for a pagan holiday filled with pagan rituals.

Edit:Here's an excerpt from an article on GotQuestions.org:

What are the origins of Halloween? Many believe the festival of Samhain to have been the beginning of the Celtic year. At Samhain, farmers brought livestock in from summer pastures and people gathered to build shelters for winter. The festival also had religious significance, and people burned fruits, vegetables, grain, and possibly animals as offerings to the gods. In ancient Celtic stories, Samhain was a magical time of transition when important battles were fought and fairies cast spells. It was a time when the barriers between the natural world and the supernatural were broken. The Celts believed that the dead could walk among the living at this time. During Samhain, the living could visit with the dead, who they believed held secrets of the future. Scholars believe that Halloween’s association with ghosts, food, and fortunetelling began with these pagan customs more than 2,000 years ago.​

Many of the customs of the pagan Celts survived even after the people became “Christianized.” In the 800s A.D., the church established All Saints' Day on November 1. About two hundred years later, it added All Souls' Day on November 2. This day was set aside for people to pray for friends and family who had died. People made many of the old pagan customs part of this Christian holy day. Some people put out food for their ancestors, or left a lantern burning in the window so that ghosts could find their way home for the night. Through the years, various regions of Europe developed their own Halloween customs. In Wales, for example, each person put a white stone near the Halloween fire at night and then checked in the morning to see whether the stone was still there. If it was, the person would live another year.

Source: What are the origins of Halloween? | GotQuestions.org

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said, I looked for news on the subject and it came up empty except for some false claims. Regarding @TLHKAJ, do they have any evidential information? I'm a factual person and require facts to form an opinion.
What? Satanists don’t put ads on TV about the horrible things they do on this satanic day? Of course not. The evil they do is hidden, BUT IT IS NOT HIDDEN FROM THE EYES OF GOD!

All Christians need to pray against this evil!