Should Christians Ever Drink Alcohol ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alcohol is seductive.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Before my botched hospital stay last year I enjoied a nice peaty Scotch Whisky and water. Now with my liver compromised it is one pleasure I am now denied. Oh well, maybe there will be Scotch in heaven :)

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
There is a long litany of things that in and of themselves are not bad.
It is the abuse of those things that are the issue.

Food is a classic example. Everyone needs food. But gluttony is a sin.

I believe that drinking an alcoholic beverage is not a sin. But drinking it to "escape" or to the point of intoxication....is.
And no, I do not drink alcohol. At all.

Sex within marraige is a gift from God. But sexual practices between a husband and wife and become so encompassing - even to the point of debauchery, that it can be seen by God as sin.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
There is a long litany of things that in and of themselves are not bad.
It is the abuse of those things that are the issue.

Food is a classic example. Everyone needs food. But gluttony is a sin.

I believe that drinking an alcoholic beverage is not a sin. But drinking it to "escape" or to the point of intoxication....is.
And no, I do not drink alcohol. At all.

Sex within marraige is a gift from God. But sexual practices between a husband and wife and become so encompassing - even to the point of debauchery, that it can be seen by God as sin.
But what is the purpose of drinking it ?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
alcohol abuse is a form of gluttony....

Sin is the misuse of creation - if you end up misusing alcohol, you will get a firsthand look at the addictive nature of misusing creation.....

Scary stuff.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA

What is the purpose of eating a Twinkie? They are of no nutritional value? Or going swimming? We are not fish. Or wearing clothing? (besides the obvious... we need pockets to put stuff?...)

What you may consider of no value has some value to others. If I really wanted to I could drink Scotch all I wanted... but my already shortened life would be shortened all the more because of it. I enjoy other things now.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
God gave us the things of the world for us to enjoy. The only rule is: do not make idols of them. Thank God while enjoying them.

Reactions: sdcougar

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Before my botched hospital stay last year I enjoied a nice peaty Scotch Whisky and water. Now with my liver compromised it is one pleasure I am now denied. Oh well, maybe there will be Scotch in heaven :)
Biggandyy...I hope you're feeling better

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I will always be closer to death on a day to day basis than most people, but by the Grace of God and some very caring doctors I am one year along and back to work and playing with my children again.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I will always be closer to death on a day to day basis than most people, but by the Grace of God and some very caring doctors I am one year along and back to work and playing with my children again.
God Bless you Biggandyy with total healing and long life...the devil is a liar.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
It'sIf drinking was sinful then our Lord wouldn't have turned water into wine and there wouldn't have been wine at the alst supper.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Wine has certain properties that are beneficial in small... amounts. It's a cholesterol cutter when used in small amounts, which is why lot of doctors recommend it to some patients. A hot toddy was what was often administered for a colds and flu in times before there was cough syrup. Most cough syrups have alchohol in it.

Apostle Paul told the following to Timothy...

1 Tim 5:23
23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
(KJV)

Ps 104:14-15
14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;
15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.
(KJV)

Prov 31:4-7
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
(KJV)

Ezek 44:21
21 Neither shall any priest drink wine, when they enter into the inner court.
(KJV)

Eph 5:18
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
(KJV)

Titus 2:3
3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
(KJV)

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010

- Because it tastes good.
- To toast the birth of a child or a new marraige
- To participate in a social function with others
- So as not to offend someone

What does it matter as long as the drink isn't to "escape" or to intentionally get drunk, or consumed in a pattern of gluttony?

As I said, I do not drink. At all.
I did when I was younger, but it lost it's appeal.

To judge someone as automatically doing wrong just because they have an alcoholic drink is to stand in judgement of that person.

Someone once said something that has since always resonated with me:

"Judging someone for something they have done is often more of a sin that the thing you are judging them for."

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is not a sin to drink alcohol, but be careful with it,

sdcougar

Mar 17, 2010
South Dakota

To add to the litany: What is the purpose of drinking coffee or tea or water with a meal? The first two, enjoyment. Wine and all of the above, we need liquids.

Obviously, Jesus, the Disciples, and most everyone in that day drank wine. And so with disciples through the ages.

Martin Luther and his friends drank beer.

The Puritans had rum at the 'church picnic.' etc.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alcohol really frightens me - and not too much does. I totally lost control of my drinking without even realizing it. Thank God, He brought me out of it.

sdcougar

Mar 17, 2010
South Dakota

And, obviously, closer to Jesus.

May our gracious Heavenly Father bless you and your family and keep you in His hand.

Alcohol really frightens me - and not too much does. I totally lost control of my drinking without even realizing it. Thank God, He brought me out of it.

Amen, God bless you.

My grandfather was an alcoholic. God delivered him when I was a child and he spent the rest of his life speaking for AA.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, obviously, closer to Jesus.

May our gracious Heavenly Father bless you and your family and keep you in His hand.

Amen, God bless you.

My grandfather was an alcoholic. God delivered him when I was a child and he spent the rest of his life speaking for AA.

God certainly did. Glad to hear about your grandfather!

Phillip

Jan 2, 2012
Some Christians think it is okay to have a drink once in a while...I disagree...what about you ?

(Mat 11:19)
The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Jesus had a drink once in a while.

But it was to be around those he couldn't have otherwise reached with the gospel.