Should I be rebaptised?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
:( On the ignore list.

Sure would have loved a conversation with ya' but hard to do that when you ask questions without answering questions.....Mary
Well Mary, I haven't ignored you yet and would love to have a conversation but just not about this issue. And not about any other contentious doctrinal subject. And by the way, a conversation is not just question and answer it can also be an exchange of views or just chit chat.

Reactions: Nancy

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Mary, I haven't ignored you yet and would love to have a conversation but just not about this issue. And not about any other contentious doctrinal subject. And by the way, a conversation is not just question and answer it can also be an exchange of views or just chit chat.
OK....since we are done "exchanging views" on the doctrine of baptism we can move on.

You stated you like to talk to others about what God is actually doing in their lives right now. Soooo let's talk about that:

I recently converted to Catholicism and became a member of The Church. I believe God is directing me to help others see the glory of The Church by witnessing to them on how I got there.

I was a Protestant at one time. I could not understand how the pastor's at the various churches I attended could stand on a stage and say baptism is a symbol when Scripture CLEARLY does not say that.

I could not understand how a pastor could stand on a stage and say the bread and wine are not His body/blood when Jesus said it IS his body/blood. The last church I attended put grape juice and pieces of crackers in a corner and the pastor said if you want to partake in it we placed it on a table over there......in the northwest corner. Otherwise, we take it communally on the third Sunday of the month. The pastor LITERALLY said that Jesus said while holding up the bread, 'This is a SYMBOL of my body". My head exploded since I knew that Jesus did not say that. Scripture does not teach that the NT Christians practiced what my pastors were telling me. The NT Christians partook daily in their "daily bread" and they believed it was his body and blood and they would bring damnation upon themselves if they didn't discern that.

The pastor didn't have a system in place that had the healing rite for the dying that forgives the sins of the person who is dying that Scripture established(James 5:14-15).

There were many other things those churches did that didn't match with Scripture.

Sooooo being a history teacher I delved into Christian History. Not just the history of Christianity but what the earliest Christians wrote in letters, wrote on catacomb walls, wrote on gravestones and I read the writings of the men who were anti-Christian. The anti-Christians accused your Christian brothers and sisters of cannibalism. The earliest recorded "church service" in 150AD mirrors a Catholic mass. The earliest teachings (1st century) of the men of the Church mirrors Catholic teaching. When I realized that MY Christian history (along with Scripture) didn't mirror Protestant beliefs I decided to figure out what God was doing in my life. To me it was clear; I have been lying to myself to think that going to church meant hearing a good sermon and chatting with fellow "Christians" in small groups. I learned that the men of the Reformation lied to all of us and they couldn't agree on what the "truth" was that is why they kept breaking off into new "churches" and new "truths". They just knew the CC was wrong and they were right.

So now you know. That is what God is doing in my life right now. He wants me to reveal to others how Scripture and your 2,000 year Christian history leads you to The Church. If you personally want to stick with the 500 year history of Protestantism that teaches that you can believe what you want to believe as long as you feel it is right or the Holy Spirit guided you personally to the truth then I must inform you.....That is also OPPOSITE of what Scripture and your own Christian history teaches.

What is God doing in your life right now Pearl?

Mary

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have heard her testimony as well pearl, heard it back in the 90's - I remember her explaining how she went into a Jewish book store and asked for a 'new testament ( after she came to faith ) it simply hadn't dawned on her that they would not sell one !!
Rita
It goes to show how much it is the Scriptures that search the heart, in life giving in Christ by faith, and in reproof for unbelief.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:( On the ignore list.

Sure would have loved a conversation with ya' but hard to do that when you ask questions without answering questions.....Mary
It's the same way with MANY of them.
They'll fire off claim after claim and accusation after accusation - but will never answer a question.

1 Pet. 3:15
ALWAYS be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

Reactions: Marymog

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
OK....since we are done "exchanging views" on the doctrine of baptism we can move on.

You stated you like to talk to others about what God is actually doing in their lives right now. Soooo let's talk about that:

I recently converted to Catholicism and became a member of The Church. I believe God is directing me to help others see the glory of The Church by witnessing to them on how I got there.

I was a Protestant at one time. I could not understand how the pastor's at the various churches I attended could stand on a stage and say baptism is a symbol when Scripture CLEARLY does not say that.

I could not understand how a pastor could stand on a stage and say the bread and wine are not His body/blood when Jesus said it IS his body/blood. The last church I attended put grape juice and pieces of crackers in a corner and the pastor said if you want to partake in it we placed it on a table over there......in the northwest corner. Otherwise, we take it communally on the third Sunday of the month. The pastor LITERALLY said that Jesus said while holding up the bread, 'This is a SYMBOL of my body". My head exploded since I knew that Jesus did not say that. Scripture does not teach that the NT Christians practiced what my pastors were telling me. The NT Christians partook daily in their "daily bread" and they believed it was his body and blood and they would bring damnation upon themselves if they didn't discern that.

The pastor didn't have a system in place that had the healing rite for the dying that forgives the sins of the person who is dying that Scripture established(James 5:14-15).

There were many other things those churches did that didn't match with Scripture.

Sooooo being a history teacher I delved into Christian History. Not just the history of Christianity but what the earliest Christians wrote in letters, wrote on catacomb walls, wrote on gravestones and I read the writings of the men who were anti-Christian. The anti-Christians accused your Christian brothers and sisters of cannibalism. The earliest recorded "church service" in 150AD mirrors a Catholic mass. The earliest teachings (1st century) of the men of the Church mirrors Catholic teaching. When I realized that MY Christian history (along with Scripture) didn't mirror Protestant beliefs I decided to figure out what God was doing in my life. To me it was clear; I have been lying to myself to think that going to church meant hearing a good sermon and chatting with fellow "Christians" in small groups. I learned that the men of the Reformation lied to all of us and they couldn't agree on what the "truth" was that is why they kept breaking off into new "churches" and new "truths". They just knew the CC was wrong and they were right.

So now you know. That is what God is doing in my life right now. He wants me to reveal to others how Scripture and your 2,000 year Christian history leads you to The Church. If you personally want to stick with the 500 year history of Protestantism that teaches that you can believe what you want to believe as long as you feel it is right or the Holy Spirit guided you personally to the truth then I must inform you.....That is also OPPOSITE of what Scripture and your own Christian history teaches.

What is God doing in your life right now Pearl?

Mary
What is God doing in my life? He is just being there and listening to me and blessing me. I became a member of The Church when I turned to Jesus after reading a booklet called, 'Journey Into Life' and I am still on that journey. At times it can be very exciting to see God working in my life and at others it almost feels as though he isn't there at all but I know that he is 'cos he promised not to leave me. I have a very simple faith and don't care much about doctrines or liturgies but love Jesus and trust God.

Reactions: Nancy and Butterfly

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol....I don't have any explaining to do. It was YOUR statement, not mine.

You know who I mean kiddo......stop playing games.

Mary

Ok.

What games? You say 'a pro-slavery killer'. Who do you mean? There were a lot of those. Sort of disrupts your teaching of history doesn't it?

My oh my, Mary. The lies you must have taught.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is God doing in my life? He is just being there and listening to me and blessing me. I became a member of The Church when I turned to Jesus after reading a booklet called, 'Journey Into Life' and I am still on that journey. At times it can be very exciting to see God working in my life and at others it almost feels as though he isn't there at all but I know that he is 'cos he promised not to leave me. I have a very simple faith and don't care much about doctrines or liturgies but love Jesus and trust God.
Thank you.

Scripture is full of doctrine that we are required to follow. Since you know Scripture I am confident you don't need me to repeat those doctrines to you. I don't see how one can not care about doctrine which is required of us as Christians. 1 Timothy 4:16

DOCTRINE defined: a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief

Mary

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there you go lying yet again.

I never said Paul was YOUR father or my father. HE said that he was a Father through the Gospel to the Corinthians. Yes, Paul said that - and YOU can't seem to get over that because it makes YOU look like a hypocrite for implying that Catholics are disobedient for calling our priests "Father".

If it's good enough for Paul and Timothy and Elisha and Philemon - it's good enough for us . . .

Paul's use of father is not as your use of father. Well, if Paul is not my father or your father, why is Luther my father, which you make claim of in post #(427)? You see, Einstein, you brought up the 'father' accusation. Not me. Sort of makes you look...well, you know.

You need to just go find someones shoe and kiss it. Makes you looks so humble.

Stranger

Reactions: Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok.

What games? You say 'a pro-slavery killer'. Who do you mean? There were a lot of those. Sort of disrupts your teaching of history doesn't it?

My oh my, Mary. The lies you must have taught.

Stranger
You already know who I mean soooo stop playing games.

I taught history and the history of your hero is well documented with on the record statements made by men that followed him and his own statements. If you are suggesting he lied about himself or the men that were closest to him lied then you are lying to yourself.

Try Paul as your hero. He was a killer of men also.

Mary

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just like the Jewish infants who were Circumcised and entered into the Covenant with God and raised in the faith by their parents - I was Baptized into the NEW Covenant and raised in the faith by MY parents.

I can remember as far back as 2 years old - and I don't have a SINGLE memory of NOT having faith in God.
I pity you that you don't understand what that's like.

When did you place faith in Jesus Christ? There are lots of baptized people who are not Christians. Do you agree?

Actually, I am the same. I never remember a time when I didn't believe in God. But there was still a time when I turned to Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You already know who I mean soooo stop playing games.

I taught history and the history of your hero is well documented with on the record statements made by men that followed him and his own statements. If you are suggesting he lied about himself or the men that were closest to him lied then you are lying to yourself.

Try Paul as your hero. He was a killer of men also.

Mary

Oh Mary. I have already showed in the past your poor knowledge of Southern history. You taught the false and lame PC history.

Have you gone to confession yet for the lies you have told about the Southern people? You need to. The damage you caused cannot be repaired now.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When did you place faith in Jesus Christ? There are lots of baptized people who are not Christians. Do you agree?

Actually, I am the same. I never remember a time when I didn't believe in God. But there was still a time when I turned to Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

Stranger
I really like that Stranger. My experience was similar. I believed in God all my life but I was 36 when I became a born-again Christian by turning to Jesus. Just as know the date of my natural birth I also know the date and time of my spiritual re-birth. And that's when I became a member of the One True Church. The Church that is made up of the followers of Jesus and not just church goers of whatever denomination.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh Mary. I have already showed in the past your poor knowledge of Southern history. You taught the false and lame PC history.

Have you gone to confession yet for the lies you have told about the Southern people? You need to. The damage you caused cannot be repaired now.

Stranger
Hmmmmm......Me teaching that your hero was a killer (which he was) and that he was pro-slavery (which he was) is false history?

You have already admitted he was pro-slavery sooooo thank you for supporting that "false history". And you haven't denied that he was a killer soooo thank you again.

The true damage was done by men of his ilk that fought for the enslavement of their fellow human beings. And you equate that damage to my alleged damage of teaching a false history?? You kiddo are simply fascinating to me....simply fascinating. The lengths you will go to defend a well documented disturbed, possibly psychotic, individual.

Mary

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you.

Scripture is full of doctrine that we are required to follow. Since you know Scripture I am confident I don't need me to repeat those doctrines to you. I don't see how one can not care about doctrine which is required of us as Christians. 1 Timothy 4:16

DOCTRINE defined: a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief

Mary
Doctrine is not at the centre of my universe, Jesus is. So I know a lot of people put great store on it but I left the CoE to belong to a non-denominational church that seeks to trust God and be led by the Holy Spirit and not by men. Obviously it is imperfect because we are imperfect humans but God looks at what's in the heart of believers.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doctrine is not at the centre of my universe, Jesus is. So I know a lot of people put great store on it but I left the CoE to belong to a non-denominational church that seeks to trust God and be led by the Holy Spirit and not by men. Obviously it is imperfect because we are imperfect humans but God looks at what's in the heart of believers.
Thank you.

I don't think you realize what you just said when you said "Doctrine is not at the centre of my universe, Jesus is."

Jesus passed doctrine down to the Apostles. Christianity IS a doctrine. Soooo for one to have Jesus at the center of their universe they would also have doctrine at the center of their universe. Wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

What I think you are saying is that you focus on loving unconditionally, praying, being a good person, charitable works, reading Scripture etc.? You don't care if baptism saves or doesn't save, the bread/blood is or isn't his body/blood, abortion is or isn't supported in scripture, gay marriage is or isn't supported in scripture, one man can forgive another mans sin etc. etc.? You want to do your thing and let everyone else do their thing? Is that what you believe/practice?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really like that Stranger. My experience was similar. I believed in God all my life but I was 36 when I became a born-again Christian by turning to Jesus. Just as know the date of my natural birth I also know the date and time of my spiritual re-birth. And that's when I became a member of the One True Church. The Church that is made up of the followers of Jesus and not just church goers of whatever denomination.
hmmmm.....Are you suggesting if a person belongs to a denomination they are not followers of Jesus?

Curious Mary

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you.

I don't think you realize what you just said when you said "Doctrine is not at the centre of my universe, Jesus is."

Jesus passed doctrine down to the Apostles. Christianity IS a doctrine. Soooo for one to have Jesus at the center of their universe they would also have doctrine at the center of their universe. Wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

What I think you are saying is that you focus on loving unconditionally, praying, being a good person, charitable works, reading Scripture etc.? You don't care if baptism saves or doesn't save, the bread/blood is or isn't his body/blood, abortion is or isn't supported in scripture, gay marriage is or isn't supported in scripture, one man can forgive another mans sin etc. etc.? You want to do your thing and let everyone else do their thing? Is that what you believe/practice?

Mary
Well that's a bit simplistic but yes, more or less. I believe what we used to call the creed. As for abortions or gay marriages etc., if those who practice those things aren't Christian then like everybody else they have a right to their own opinions. As for a man forgiving sin I believe that as a Christian I am part of a holy priesthood and because the veil of the temple was split in two I no longer need the services of a priest as intermediary between me and God. Before I was saved I was a sinner and separated by that sin from God. But once I accepted Jesus as my Saviour my sin was washed away and I am now a saint with direct access to the Father's throne. I have come out of darkness into the light.

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
hmmmm.....Are you suggesting if a person belongs to a denomination they are not followers of Jesus?

Curious Mary
Absolutely not. I started my Christian walk as part of the CoE. My vicar was born again and Spirit filled and that's where the foundations of my faith were laid with the help of this lovely Godly man and his wife who weren't just clergy but true Christians. Many people who are born again choose to stay within the denominations but it wasn't to be my path.

But I suspect that all 'churchgoers' believe in God and in Jesus but may not necessarily have taken that step of really inviting him into their lives. One can believe without being born again (I know this from my own experience) and I learned a long time ago that this can also apply to clergy, i.e. vicars, ministers or priests and even bishops. They have the knowledge and the beliefs but without that all important personal relationship.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul's use of father is not as your use of father. Well, if Paul is not my father or your father, why is Luther my father, which you make claim of in post #(427)? You see, Einstein, you brought up the 'father' accusation. Not me. Sort of makes you look...well, you know.

You need to just go find someones shoe and kiss it. Makes you looks so humble.

Stranger
You, like MOST anti-Catholics abuse the words of Christ in Matt. 23:8-9.
He never forbade calling anybody "Father" or "Teacher". He forbade considering people "Father" or "Teacher" - ABOVE our Father and Teacher in Heaven.

What I did was to show you how stupid your position is by illustrating the MANY instances in the Bible where men ARE called "Father" and "Teacher" - whether it is literal or figurative.

We Catholics refer to our priests as "Father" in the SAME way Paul called himself "Father" to the Corinthians or to Timothy or to Onesimus. Or the way ALL Christians refer to the Early Church Fathers - and even your Protestant Fathers.

You LOST this one, Stranger . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that's a bit simplistic but yes, more or less. I believe what we used to call the creed. As for abortions or gay marriages etc., if those who practice those things aren't Christian then like everybody else they have a right to their own opinions. As for a man forgiving sin I believe that as a Christian I am part of a holy priesthood and because the veil of the temple was split in two I no longer need the services of a priest as intermediary between me and God. Before I was saved I was a sinner and separated by that sin from God. But once I accepted Jesus as my Saviour my sin was washed away and I am now a saint with direct access to the Father's throne. I have come out of darkness into the light.

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
Which creed is that?

Right to their own opinions on abortion? Do you not believe aborting a baby is against morale and Christian law?

Mary