Should women teach the bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. Paul specifically states specific comments are his opinion and not a divine command.

In these cases we need to weigh his opinion as a man (and, considering his words, a man of his time). But there are very few statements that fall into this category.

Since I noticed this, I looked at 1 Cor. 7 and most of it is his opinion, especially from verse 25 to the end.

Reactions: John Caldwell

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I noticed this, I looked at 1 Cor. 7 and most of it is his opinion, especially from verse 25 to the end.
Yes. Paul is very specific about what is a command and what is not. Verse 6 has Paul wishing that all were like he and offers that it is his opinion that it is best for the single person to remain so. Verse 10 picks back up with the Lord's command to the marred. Verse 12 begins another word from Paul to "the rest" (the unevenly yoked). Verse 17 seems to pick back up with Scripture in terms of God's command as Paul uses his authority to "lay down" the rule in all of the churches. Verse 25 through verse 40 (the remainder of the topic) is of Paul.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Paul is very specific about what is a command and what is not. Verse 6 has Paul wishing that all were like he and offers that it is his opinion that it is best for the single person to remain so. Verse 10 picks back up with the Lord's command to the marred. Verse 12 begins another word from Paul to "the rest" (the unevenly yoked). Verse 17 seems to pick back up with Scripture in terms of God's command as Paul uses his authority to "lay down" the rule in all of the churches. Verse 25 through verse 40 (the remainder of the topic) is of Paul.

Elsewhere he writes there is neither Jew nor Greek, bond or free, MALE OR FEMALE, but all one in Christ. But in a letter to Timothy seems to revert back to his Pharisitical roots. Now I find I have to rightly divide everything he writes to see if it is inspired or contradictory to whats inspired. Jesus frees us, and Paul wants us back under a heavy yoke of bondage.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Elsewhere he writes there is neither Jew nor Greek, bond or free, MALE OR FEMALE, but all one in Christ. But in a letter to Timothy seems to revert back to his Pharisitical roots. Now I find I have to rightly divide everything he writes to see if it is inspired or contradictory to whats inspired. Jesus frees us, and Paul wants us back under a heavy yoke of bondage.
2 Timothy 3:16 KJV
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Maybe this will help
Tecarta Bible

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 3:16 KJV
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Maybe this will help
Tecarta Bible

"All scripture" is the key, not personal letters and opinions. Look at when he bragged about calling out Peter in his epistle to the Galatians. And yet Paul does the same thing he accused Peter of. Peter was between a rock and a hard place trying to please both Gentiles and new convert Jews who were still keeping kosher. 1 Corinthians 9:For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you. Was Peter given the letter to add his defense for us to read? No. We only have Paul's accusation. Is this "scripture" and an example of righteous behavior? Or did Paul actually trespass against Peter, yet never repents?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"All scripture" is the key, not personal letters and opinions. Look at when he bragged about calling out Peter in his epistle to the Galatians. And yet Paul does the same thing he accused Peter of. Peter was between a rock and a hard place trying to please both Gentiles and new convert Jews who were still keeping kosher. 1 Corinthians 9:For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you. Was Peter given the letter to add his defense for us to read? No. We only have Paul's accusation. Is this "scripture" and an example of righteous behavior? Or did Paul actually trespass against Peter, yet never repents?
All things to all men.

Accept those on welfare right, because their despised?

B

Butterfly

That's why most people in the UK voted to leave the EU. We have always welcomed foreigners to our shores but in the past they were people who were ready to work and integrate and contribute to society but the ones from Eastern Europe seemed not to want to be part of our society but to take everything they can from it with no obvious contribution.
That isn't always the case Pearl, I know many from eastern Europe who work really hard and appreciate the lower wages because they are earning more here than in their own countries. I work with many eastern Europeans x
However it is also true that some come to take from the system, but that is down to the fact that they can - whoever's first decided that they could do that starting the ball rolling.
Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Pearl, hope you are well!

Would that be the Polish peoples, Eastern Europe?

I thought England was having problems with people of the Middle East and Pakistan.
No JP, we've always had Polish people here since WW2 - when I was a child my parents had two Polish girls lodging with us. It seems to be mostly the Rumanians who are being a drain on our society - schools full of non-English speaking children etc. They come for our free NHS and to abuse our benefits system, to claim without putting back. Of course this is just a generalisation and does not apply to all of those who have come to our country but they are the ones you notice.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No JP, we've always had Polish people here since WW2 - when I was a child my parents had two Polish girls lodging with us. It seems to be mostly the Rumanians who are being a drain on our society - schools full of non-English speaking children etc. They come for our free NHS and to abuse our benefits system, to claim without putting back. Of course this is just a generalisation and does not apply to all of those who have come to our country but they are the ones you notice.

I thought it odd it would be the Polish, they've been here a long time also, hard working people who assimilated to American society, as did all European immigrants who came here, we have a lot of Russians, Polish and Ukrainians coming here again, and the ones I've dealt with are also hard working and not scamming the system, I don't know much about Romanians though, I don't think we have many coming here, not that I know of.

I don't know much about Romanians, except they speak one of the five Romance languages.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If disciples cannot share Gods word from their hearts how can anyone witness?

Put simply Paul in his day, women had zero official education, just what they managed to learn alone.
So in general when women came to faith, they had little intellectual background upon which to draw.
So Paul simply said, men have authority. He based this on Adam and Eve, which to me is a weak foundation.

I know many women who are better at arguments and holding facts together than their husbands, so it should be based upon knowledge and ability. And if women could not teach from scripture, these forums would be very quiet and churches largely empty.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are referring to Galatians 3. The context there is equality in terms of the Promise, not conduct within the church or among the members of the Body.

Paul presents nothing contrary to Jesus' words. What Paul separates from the Lord's command (Paul's opinion) is in terms of application. This is not bondage (Paul merely says he believes it best to focus on Christ than be yoked with the burdens associated with specific relationships which can, in Paul's view, be an unnecessary distraction...and this, says Paul, is his opinion).

The rest of Paul's words are specifically God's words. Some place Paul's words in contrast to Christ's words, which only shows an ignorance to Christ's words. Paul not only reaffirms freedom in Christ but he explains our liberation from sin and death. Unfortunately some also want to be free of Christ as well. As Paul states, all things are lawful but not all things are profitable.