Should women teach the bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There will always be men that put women down and use the scriptures to do it. But what God has given to us no mere man can take away.

Reactions: John Caldwell

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians tells us there is now no distinction.
And Priscilla taught Apollos.

(Acts 18) "...26 and he began to speak out boldly in the synagogue. But when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately."

Both Priscilla and Aquila explained to Apollos the way of God.
This isn't an example of a woman teaching a man Scriptural truth, in Church. It is not a worship service, nor a formal class, like a Bible study.
It could easily have been that Aquila led the 'explanation' , with his wife supporting him.

Reactions: John Caldwell

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, the church says, if you won't work you can't eat.

Have you heard of "welfare Cadillacs"?

I like that verse. I know someone who got a lot of government handouts and she and her husband retired early, paid off their house, and are flitting around on vacations. And the worse thing is that she is a despicable human being - she wouldn't hand you a rope if you were drowning, yet taxpayers were forced by the government to support her rear. I knew someone else in our old neighborhood who was getting assistance and she and her husband were dealing drugs. My husband plays horseshoes with a couple guys on disability who claim they can't work yet are out drinking and playing horseshoes. I knew someone else who collected disability the entire time after her children were born. She was on disability for "depression" yet she kept having kids. She bragged that it "paid the car payment." My sister said the migrants would come into her store with their hair and nails done and pay with an EBT card. They need to overhaul the system. America is a mess. I don't mind helping someone truly in need, but not be taken advantage of by those who play the system.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to be gentle as doves, and wise as serpents, so I like to watch "Maury" and the Steve Wilcos show to get an idea of where the moral pulse of the nation is at. Especially on the Maury show, some of the men seem to brag about how many children they have - all by different mothers. Some up to 15. And the women believe having babies is part of dating. One woman had been on the Maury show about 13 times bringing on different men each time to give them DNA tests, and still hasn't found her child's biological father!

A friend had to go to family court and told me that there was one after another immigrant male who a young immigrant female was trying to get child support for and each went before the judge and said they were on disability - they learned it was the magic key to get them out of paying for their kid. So you know the mother is likely on welfare and WIC.

If someone is truly in need I don't have a problem helping them, but it's ridiculous that young healthy males won't support their own kid.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what the politicians are doing to us here in California.

A relative works long hours in California and has to treat immigrants with TB who are in the hospital for 3+ months. They said a doctor there is leaving CA because he said we just can't keep giving out free medical care to the world. Every single thing in life has its limits. I don't know why politicians are the looniest among us - it absolutely scares me that some of these people are running the country - like Pelosi. Some of the candidates running for President are absolutely off their rockers. I just don't understand why normal, thinking, people go for political positions.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing against immigrants, but there is an agenda here, they are flooding us with people who come here to exploit America, not immigrants who want to work and acquire the American dream through hard work, blood and sweat.

If someone comes to work then good for them - my grandparents immigrated here. I just don't want someone coming here and going on welfare.

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ugh, I'm sure that when Jesus fed the multitude, the poor, right before He fed them, He stated "get a job" first, just His Father excluded that from scripture....*roll eyes*

I get it, don't be lazy, do something, etc. Not everyone is capable though, some aren't tough enough -Jesus is for the weak though, cause under Him, we're all weak comparatively.

Of course, in His Kingdom on earth in the millenium Kingdom, I'm sure we'll have jobs then too, and the poor. Life would be boring without something to do. "Nothing" is boring ;)

Just to add onto this: why not help the scammers? They're already suffering by being what they are. I'm sure they didn't expect to be this when they were children. Maybe, just maybe, the fact that someone was nice to them, and saw them, is enough to prolong their days and not hurt themselves, or someone else. Why not help them, even to just mention Jesus...help them as they need to be helped, then throw in a little "give Jesus a chance" or something as you're walking away?

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are referring to Galatians 3. The context there is equality in terms of the Promise, not conduct within the church or among the members of the Body.

Paul presents nothing contrary to Jesus' words. What Paul separates from the Lord's command (Paul's opinion) is in terms of application. This is not bondage (Paul merely says he believes it best to focus on Christ than be yoked with the burdens associated with specific relationships which can, in Paul's view, be an unnecessary distraction...and this, says Paul, is his opinion).

The rest of Paul's words are specifically God's words. Some place Paul's words in contrast to Christ's words, which only shows an ignorance to Christ's words. Paul not only reaffirms freedom in Christ but he explains our liberation from sin and death. Unfortunately some also want to be free of Christ as well. As Paul states, all things are lawful but not all things are profitable.

Don't put "free of Christ" in a response to me, as I'm anything but! I am totally devoted to Him and keeping his commandments. My husband who left me for the wife of his best friend and married her, is still the last man I kissed before the divorce. Why? Because he is still alive. He can sin all he wants to and live in perpetual adultery, but I will NOT!

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't put "free of Christ" in a response to me, as I'm anything but totally devoted to Him and keeping his commandments. My husband who left me for the wife of his best friend and married her, is still the last man I kissed before the divorce. Why? Because he is still alive. He can sin all he wants to and live in perpetual adultery, but I will NOT!
You’re a fine lady, God bless you.

Reactions: Butterfly

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We went to a strict Presbyterian church one time and I adopted at least some of their values: they were very strictly against women teachers in accordance with Paul's admonition that he "does not allow a woman to teach." Yet we see more and more women teachers.

What is your take on this?
Hi,

This is not my take. It is the take of Scripture and the teaching of the early Church leaders.

1 Timothy is a pastoral letter. In it Paul says he does not permit woman to teach or to have authority over men. If we reject the teachings of the Apostles we reject the teachings of Jesus (Luke 10:16).

1Cor. 14:34–38 makes it VERY clear what woman are not allowed to do and if there is Anyone who does not recognize they are not to be recognized.

Irenaeus, who learned from Polycarp who was a student of the Apostle John, considered it a heresy in his writings Against Heresies 1:13:2

Bible study and historical Mary

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians tells us there is now no distinction.
And Priscilla taught Apollos.
Hi Willie,

The OP by Soverign Grace alludes to woman preachers. With that said Galatians has NOTHING to do with this matter. It does not cancel out what the rest of Scripture clearly teaches on this matter.

1 Timothy is a pastoral letter. In it Paul says he does not permit woman to teach or to have authority over men. If we reject the teachings of the Apostles we reject the teachings of Jesus (Luke 10:16).

1Cor. 14:34–38 is VERY pointed and makes it VERY clear what woman are not allowed to do and if there is Anyone who does not recognize this they are not to be recognized.

Priscilla and Aquila took Apollos aside and explained the Way of God to him more accurately. It was not done in the Church (synagogue).

Mary

Reactions: GTW27

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Priscilla and Aquila took Apollos aside and explained the Way of God to him more accurately. It was not done in the Church (synagogue).
Mary,
You somehow hit the nail on the head. This was indeed a private meeting where both husband and wife shared the truth with another Christian friend.

Reactions: Marymog

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't put "free of Christ" in a response to me, as I'm anything but! I am totally devoted to Him and keeping his commandments. My husband who left me for the wife of his best friend and married her, is still the last man I kissed before the divorce. Why? Because he is still alive. He can sin all he wants to and live in perpetual adultery, but I will NOT!
I am not sure but it seems (by your reply) that you have misread my post to suggest you want to be "free of Christ". That was neither stated nor implied.

Please re-read my response. Misunderstandings and assumptions often make harder enemies than true crimes and offenses. I certainly did not mean ill towards you and did not think of you in any other way but a faithful follower of Christ.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I sum up the OP like this - "Should Christians teach the Bible?". The answer is "yes".
Except that it begs the question. Should women teach the Bible within the local church (or even publicly on radio or television)? And the answer from Scripture is an unequivocal "NO". Totally unacceptable.

God had His reasons for these injunctions, and Christians are well advised to obey God in this matter, as in all other matters.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except that it begs the question. Should women teach the Bible within the local church (or even publicly on radio or television)? And the answer from Scripture is an unequivocal "NO". Totally unacceptable.

God had His reasons for these injunctions, and Christians are well advised to obey God in this matter, as in all other matters.
Yes. (And yes).

The prohibition of women teaching is in the context of a 1st century teacher, which annotated a sense of authority (which is why women were to teach other women and children). I do not believe God meant for women to refrain from sharing the gospel, Scripture, or what God has done in their lives.

That said, in a contest of a teacher over a congregation there is a difference. The church i(like marriage) is to represent the relationship if Father to Son and Son to Church (these two examples are used in Scripture). So a woman is not to be in tbe leadership role (and my mother would say should not pilot a plane...I don't know why the plane part)

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The answer again is "yes". We cannot extend Scripture beyond its bounds. In a local church women are prohibited from a position over men. This does not mean women are not to be ministers of the Word - only that they are not to be teachers appointed over men. Insofar as TV or radio - that is evangelistic and not addressed in the passages you reference but in Christ's command that we disciple others as we go about our lives.

Reactions: tabletalk

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We went to a strict Presbyterian church one time and I adopted at least some of their values: they were very strictly against women teachers in accordance with Paul's admonition that he "does not allow a woman to teach." Yet we see more and more women teachers.

What is your take on this?
I've hesitated to jump into this discussion, and I haven't had time to read all of the comments, but here goes....

Surely, Paul wasn't saying that he didn't allow women to teach AT ALL. Why would he object to women teaching other women? It has been pointed out in this thread that Paul mentioned "usurping authority" with his statement about women teaching.

I am in agreement with Paul that women shouldn't usurp authority delegated to men--in the church or in the home. But this doesn't mean that women aren't given any authority at all. Authority in the church is delegated by the leaders of that church, whether it's delegated to men or to women. Of course, all authority originates from God, who is the Supreme Authority.

As far as women having authority in the home, of course we have authority over our children! Otherwise, how would we run our households? As a widow, I have been given the authority normally delegated by God to the father. Believe me, I would just as soon not have to wield this authority. It's hard enough being a mom, but having to function as mom and dad is very difficult!

Please don't get me wrong. God is my husband at present, so my whole family is under His perfect protective umbrella of authority. And that's what His authority over His children does--it protects us! I say my "whole family," but I have to exclude my oldest, who has taken herself out from under my and God's authority. Please pray for her!!!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I wonder why so many women are being ordained and those verses ignored. It seems like this is a confusing issue for even long time believers.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've hesitated to jump into this discussion, and I haven't had time to read all of the comments, but here goes....

Surely, Paul wasn't saying that he didn't allow women to teach AT ALL. Why would he object to women teaching other women? It has been pointed out in this thread that Paul mentioned "usurping authority" with his statement about women teaching.

I am in agreement with Paul that women shouldn't usurp authority delegated to men--in the church or in the home. But this doesn't mean that women aren't given any authority at all. Authority in the church is delegated by the leaders of that church, whether it's delegated to men or to women. Of course, all authority originates from God, who is the Supreme Authority.

As far as women having authority in the home, of course we have authority over our children! Otherwise, how would we run our households? As a widow, I have been given the authority normally delegated by God to the father. Believe me, I would just as soon not have to wield this authority. It's hard enough being a mom, but having to function as mom and dad is very difficult!

Please don't get me wrong. God is my husband at present, so my whole family is under His perfect protective umbrella of authority. And that's what His authority over His children does--it protects us! I say my "whole family," but I have to exclude my oldest, who has taken herself out from under my and God's authority. Please pray for her!!!

I'll pray for her. I know how hard it is to raise a family today. I can't imagine doing it alone.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior