shutting up the kingdom

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said this to the religious Pharisees and I think it happened in the event I described in The Tragic Story I posted and is happening on forums today.

Matt 23:11-13
11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant.
12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.
NKJV

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus said this to the religious Pharisees and I think it happened in the event I described in The Tragic Story I posted and is happening on forums today.

Matt 23:11-13
11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant.
12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.
NKJV

This is happening today as well. There are whole doctrines that deny people entering into kingdom life. Dispensationalism does this.

But there is also a lack of understanding of what the kingdom of God is. So then the ignorant teach the ignorant and the blind lead the blind.

Same as it ever was.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is happening today as well. There are whole doctrines that deny people entering into kingdom life. Dispensationalism does this.

But there is also a lack of understanding of what the kingdom of God is. So then the ignorant teach the ignorant and the blind lead the blind.

Same as it ever was.

And I know you think I am the one doing this. But I can say you are doing it. You can't see that God has dealt with mankind differently in the ages (dispensations). You can't get over that fact that there was an age (dispensation) of Law and now there is the age (dispensation) of grace.

It is religious people who refuse to see this that mix the ages together and come up with a false gospel of law and grace.

Reactions: lforrest and Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And I know you think I am the one doing this. But I can say you are doing it. You can't see that God has dealt with mankind differently in the ages (dispensations). You can't get over that fact that there was an age (dispensation) of Law and now there is the age (dispensation) of grace.

It is religious people who refuse to see this that mix the ages together and come up with a false gospel of law and grace.

You are seeing through the wrong end of your telescope. You are denying the power of God....as Paul warned us of people who twist the meaning of Paul.

The gospel fulfills the law BY grace. Jesus doesn't make us lawless. We overcome sin just as an airplane overcomes gravity. Do we abolish gravity with an airplane? Of course not. But as long as we are INSIDE the plane we overcome gravity and achieve flight.

This is what Romans 8 is about. The law (bad word for you) of Christ (flight) overcomes the law (there's that pesky word again) of sin (gravity).

The irony....again...is that Romans 8 is about law. (which dispensationalists throw a hizzy fit over)

Reactions: Truth

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are seeing through the wrong end of your telescope. You are denying the power of God....as Paul warned us of people who twist the meaning of Paul.

The gospel fulfills the law BY grace. Jesus doesn't make us lawless. We overcome sin just as an airplane overcomes gravity. Do we abolish gravity with an airplane? Of course not. But as long as we are INSIDE the plane we overcome gravity and achieve flight.

This is what Romans 8 is about. The law (bad word for you) of Christ (flight) overcomes the law (there's that pesky word again) of sin (gravity).

How is my saying that Jesus' shed blood on the cross is the power of God is saying that there is no power of God?. As I see it you want to replace the power of Christ in the gospel of grace to us as a free gift with your power. The gospel of grace IS THE POWER OF GOD TO SAVE ANYONE THAT PLACES THEIR FAITH IN IT.

Yes, Paul warned us. US INCLUDES YOU.

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How is my saying that Jesus' shed blood on the cross is the power of God is saying that there is no power of God?.

You are seeing Jesus here as a sort of magic genie that just allows God to forgive constant sinning. But you are leaving Jesus on the cross.

He is risen! So we can walk with Him in newness of life.
As I see it you want to replace the power of Christ in the gospel of grace to us as a free gift with your power

You are walking in your own power...hence you will always sin. The gospel is about a resurrected Christ and His life...grace....being imparted to us....so that we can overcome just as He did.
The gospel of grace IS THE POWER OF GOD TO SAVE ANYONE THAT PLACES THEIR FAITH IN IT.

Yes, Paul warned us. US INCLUDES YOU.

In it? A salvation scheme made up by men? It is a vain philosophy that denies the power of God to make us into examples of Jesus in this world.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a pretty ignorant statement which proves that you know nothing about Dispensationalism or those who hold to this viewpoint.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a pretty ignorant statement which proves that you know nothing about Dispensationalism or those who hold to this viewpoint.

Answer this ...what is the kingdom life we are called into?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This statement needs to be interpreted in context and then applied to the religious scene today.

1. The scribes, Pharisees, and lawyers (called hypocrites) believed that they could establish their own righteousness by doing the works of the Law.
2. These religious leaders elevated the minutiae of the Law about what really mattered -- faith, love, mercy, and justice.
3. These religious leaders taught that only those who followed their religious system would enter into the Kingdom of God.
4. The doctrine of these religious leaders elevated the commandments of men above the Word of God.
5. These religious leaders were essentially unsaved, therefore hypocrites.
6. These religious leaders were deemed by Christ to be the blind leading the blind.

What these men represent are the false teachers of today. By the same token, the Holy Bible is freely available to all mankind today and in all known languages, so no one has an excuse for failing to know the true Gospel.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The New Testament does not mention "kingdom life". But it does describe Christian life in every NT book. Here is one good example of the Christian life, which is quite comprehensive:

ROMANS 12
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The New Testament does not mention "kingdom life". But it does describe Christian life in every NT book. Here is one good example of the Christian life, which is quite comprehensive:

ROMANS 12
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

So you deny the existence of kingdom life now...? in favour of a future kingdom?

How are we to seek first the kingdom? And His righteousness? These are together of course. I already know your position so you will claim to have His righteousness (a very unwise thing to assume) yet deny the existence of a kingdom life we may enter into.

All this because of bible verses that are taken literally but without understanding.

IOW...if it is written plainly in the bible...you will claim it for yourself...if it sounds good. ;)

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The irony....again...is that Romans 8 is about law. (which dispensationalists throw a hizzy fit over)

That was exceptional, I Loved the way you used this analogy! We as Noah, through Grace Live above the Torah, which is written on our Heart's. the Holy Spirit convict's us, and Grace empower's Us!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That was exceptional, I Loved the way you used this analogy! We as Noah, through Grace Live above the Torah, which is written on our Heart's. the Holy Spirit convict's us, and Grace empower's Us!

Back in the day, they didn't have aircraft...so they couldn't use that analogy. :)

Amen! Grace is God's power freely given to us...that accomplishes the righteous requirements of the law. So then grace fulfills the law.

Grace comes to us as a power of love....to fulfill the commandments to love. Therefore love fulfills the commandments of God.

Reactions: Truth

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back in the day, they didn't have aircraft...so they couldn't use that analogy. :)

Amen! Grace is God's power freely given to us...that accomplishes the righteous requirements of the law. So then grace fulfills the law.

Grace comes to us as a power of love....to fulfill the commandments to love. Therefore love fulfills the commandments of God.

I don't know how well you are received on this Forum, BUT! I Like You, we may not Agree totally, BUT! Your Take is right up my ally!

Reactions: Episkopos

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think most missed the purpose of the OP. When I posted the story (A Tragic Story) religious people were telling the man that he had to stop sinning in the flesh in order to go to heaven. I think this scripture is a condemnation on those that shut the gates of heaven to those that would go there by simply placing their belief, faith, trust and confidence in the work of Jesus on the cross where He (Jesus) paid for the sins of the whole world. The man in the story was never told this by the religious and by not doing so, the religious shut the door to heaven that Jesus opened for all of mankind including this young man.

It is a fact that few in their replies had sadness in their heart for this young man. One put the blame on the young man as if to say "to bad but he deserved it". So much for her love for her fellow mankind.

The child of God has a mission. That mission is to bare fruit by bringing others to the knowledge of the salvation provided by God (Jesus) on the cross. It certainly isn't to make the religious better than others. It is only by the grace of God that He (God) has made a way for sinful mankind to be called righteous just because they believe in God's work on the cross.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christ Life. Transformed in spirit and mind.

Christ life is kingdom life. A life that walks in the Spirit...in Zion...in the heavenly realm...in the kingdom of God.

Strive to enter into the kingdom.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ life is kingdom life. A life that walks in the Spirit...in Zion...in the heavenly realm...in the kingdom of God.

Strive to enter into the kingdom.

Episkopos said:

Nancy said:
"Christ Life. Transformed in spirit and mind."

Epi said: "Christ life is kingdom life." That is just what I said so, yay we agree on this :)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think most missed the purpose of the OP. When I posted the story (A Tragic Story) religious people were telling the man that he had to stop sinning in the flesh in order to go to heaven. I think this scripture is a condemnation on those that shut the gates of heaven to those that would go there by simply placing their belief, faith, trust and confidence in the work of Jesus on the cross where He (Jesus) paid for the sins of the whole world. The man in the story was never told this by the religious and by not doing so, the religious shut the door to heaven that Jesus opened for all of mankind including this young man.

It is a fact that few in their replies had sadness in their heart for this young man. One put the blame on the young man as if to say "to bad but he deserved it". So much for her love for her fellow mankind.

The child of God has a mission. That mission is to bare fruit by bringing others to the knowledge of the salvation provided by God (Jesus) on the cross. It certainly isn't to make the religious better than others. It is only by the grace of God that He (God) has made a way for sinful mankind to be called righteous just because they believe in God's work on the cross.
I didn't reply because I just want to focus on Him....but I wanted to share my testimony which confirms what you are saying. I got saved when I was 7...I spent my growing up years going to church and learning from what was preached at the pulpit. My pastor was a hell, fire and brimstone preacher...as I became an adult and more aware of sins in my life I began to get depressed because I seemed to always mess up. I was always going up front during alter call to "get saved again", "rededicate my life", getting the demons cast out....yadayada…..and one day I just gave and cried out to God and said this Christianity thing is too hard and no matter how hard I try I always mess up and might as well prepare for hell.....that is when God spoke to me (for the 1st time...I was 24)….and said He was my Father and as much as I loved my daughter so much more does He love me that I cannot even comprehend it....that as my daughter grows up and I teach her right and wrong and reward or discipline her I will never stop loving her......God said that is how I am....I am a good Father....I will love you, teach you and discipline you but never will I let you go.

So that ended my years of condemnation.....I know what His Grace and Mercy is all about now....and I don't abuse it but am ever grateful for it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Episkopos said:

Nancy said:
"Christ Life. Transformed in spirit and mind."

Epi said: "Christ life is kingdom life." That is just what I said so, yay we agree on this :)

YAY! I thought to bring it around to the OP. :rolleyes: