Silly question, but a thought provoking one:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billy to Bible study teacher: Why did God have to send himself down to earth to become his own son to sacrifice himself just to convince himself to forgive us?
That isn't why Jesus came down to earth. He came down, I believe, to set an example for us, to teach us, and by dying on the cross, to free us from the control of Satan.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha bc under the law nearly every sin requires blood huh ferris
And the blood of an animal is sufficient in many cases. But there are things for which the blood of an animal is not sufficient. Thus the reason the law falls short of reconciling the sinner with God (besides it not being able to change the sinner).

"39Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses." Acts 13:39

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t understand the comment “just to convince himself to forgive us”!!!?

Simple. God is Sovereign. Things can be anyway he wants them to be. Just because He set things to be one way, does not mean he could not have made other choices.

Consider why there are multiple covenants? God could have kept us under the law.

My Pastor says the law only applied to Jews and not to Gentiles. God could have simply told a prophet or angel that God has enacted a new covenant without Jesus just as he did in establishing the other covenants. Jesus is our proof that God has kept his promise. Acts 17:31. In other words, Jesus was sent for our benefit, not God's benefit. I hope this helps.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Besides so he could be the 'life for life' required by the law, he took humanity upon himself to become a compassionate High Priest...

...He had to be made like His brothers in every way, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, in order to make atonement for the sins of the people. Because He Himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted." Hebrews 2:17-18

I agree with @Helen, that's just nonsense.
Yes sir, seems we are all in agreement, that was actually the point, utter nonsense, and unBiblical as well.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is able to make sense out of it all? Who is able to open up those things which have been sealed?

"And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end." Dan 12:8-9

"And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.
And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof." Rev 5:1-5

Only those who have ears to hear sir, those to whom it has been granted Col 1:26

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
And the blood of an animal is sufficient in many cases. But there are things for which the blood of an animal is not sufficient. Thus the reason the law falls short of reconciling the sinner with God (besides it not being able to change the sinner).

"39Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses." Acts 13:39
well hopefully someday you might be freed from the law ferris

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Totally wrong and completely illogical. Where is this in the Bible?

And I'm not JW.

This is right and logical. The only reason you and I are out of our sins is because Jesus is not God for he is our only mediator to God. (Unless you mean something else by 'still in your sins') Of course, to say Jesus is God and our only mediator to God is an abuse of language usage.

wait… so you dont believe in the Trinity???

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billy to Bible study teacher: Why did God have to send himself down to earth to become his own son to sacrifice himself just to convince himself to forgive us?
Because Satan came and created a mess by deceiving Adam and Eve. God is Sovereign and there is none greater than Him...so He had to go through that same door that Satan opened and close it.
By one man all were made sinners, and by one are all made righteous.
And that's the whole of the matter.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3:19

Interestingly, my pastor invoked this very passage to reinforce the notion that the law does not apply to us. The opening parenthetical expression, 'Obviously, the law applies to those to whom it was given' makes it clear the law applies to some and not others. What is your take on this part of the verse?

Romans 3:19
New Living Translation

19 Obviously, the law applies to those to whom it was given, for its purpose is to keep people from having excuses, and to show that the entire world is guilty before God.