Sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Stefan

Mar 23, 2022
Peterborough
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What is Sin exactly? And what is the root of sin? Please explain this and I await some replies.

kind regards John Stefan

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question and I hope you keep sharing them, John.

It is refreshing to hear questions as my life is mostly lived alone with little to interactions with others though maybe one day will change. I haven’t lived quiet the healthiest lifestyle having had addictions to things that keep me down (had been using over-the-counter self-medication for the past two months and today is my third day not using).

Anyway Sin.

What is it? The first sin caused was by Adam and Eve having not listened to what God had to say. Eve was brought the notion of not dying, from the serpent.

So in turn the connection with God was lost in the Garden. Disconnected from that spiritual inclusion that once was having denied asking or telling God anything about the incident and then eve blaming the devil and Adam blaming God for giving him Eve.

Here is sin in action: one not being accountable for the wrong done and instead point the finger at others and becoming an accuser, just like the devil himself who was an accuser of those who did not keep the Law.

Sin: what is it? Missing the mark is what it means in the Greek. And I believe if God intended for us to love him, and have love for others in relationships, even those who are mean or accuse you and persecute you.

So Sin: it has been paid for, and taken care of for all people, by Jesus on the cross. Jesus came to rectify and reconcile what Adam lost in the Garden so that anyone whom seeks and follows after him and listen to his words, ultimately become born again. They are given new life in which they did not understand before having only know things of the flesh.

Remember what was just said about Adam and Eve and the Devil. All blaming and pointing the finger towards one another. That is the flesh: it has evil thoughts from the heart according to what Jesus said: evil thoughts come the heart (Mark 7 to find it).

Sin is paid for and coming to realization to the truth of Jesus Christ an becoming born again believer in the Lord, your are given new inner creation that is spiritual which you will be storing up treasures in heaven for when you leave this life to be with God. Which God rewards those who serve God freely and willingly by their own decision. Becoming a son or daughter of God if they walk by the spirit (can be found in Romans somewhere).

Over all to me sin is this: Whatever is not done in faith by walking in the Holy Spirit is missing the Mark.

Bad mouthing someone, slandering them, self gratification over others, pride, selfishness, hatred of others, not forgiving someone, lusting after another persons wife, or someone material wealth, having ultimately no love or compassion toward others.

Those to me are what the Bible speak about that is sin. (Romans, Colossians 3, James, Galatians) are all good books to learn more about the sinful nature we have. None of us will ever lose our sinful nature until we die, but in the spiritual aspect Paul tells us to die to sin, and to live to Christ instead. One can grow the spirit as the flesh dies but that doesn’t mean that it can not raise up again if a temptation comes upon you which God is said to make a way of escape.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Reactions: John Stefan

EddieRamos

Dec 19, 2021
Millville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin is defined by the Bible, so we don’t have to speculate.

1 John 3:4 (KJV)
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

And the Bible defines the law as the whole word of God, not just the 10 commandments.

John 10:34 (KJV)
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Jesus is referring to the book of Psalms where this is written, and he refers to it as the law.
We are given many examples of God referring to other books of the Bible as the law, and God does this enough times for us to realize that the 10 commandments are not alone when it comes to what the law is referring to. The law is any commandment that God gave.

And the breaking of any one commandment is a sin which condemns us unless God saved us and bore that sin too.

Romans 14:23 (KJV)
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

The word “faith” is a synonym for “Christ” because Christ is the essence of faith. He is faithful, he is true. …for whatsoever is not of Christ/God is sin.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is Sin exactly? And what is the root of sin? Please explain this and I await some replies.

kind regards John Stefan

Sin literally means to miss the mark John, but in actually is understood to mean a violation of the law of God.

Reactions: MatthewG

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sin literally means to miss the mark John, but it actually is understood to mean a violation of the law of God.

A Pharisee is found/discovered in and by this response. Sins "manifest themselves" when we turn away from God. Like King David, we all find it difficult to know and understand that we have turned away from a personal relationship with God and become His puppeteer where we are in fact the god of our life.

Shalom

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kind regards John Stefan

Sin was defined by Apostle John as the "transgression" of the law, God's laws.

1 John 3:4
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
KJV

Some Christian brethren try to steer around that because they think God's laws under Christ now are all dead, which of course is a lie. The difference with the Christian per The New Covenant is that IF... we walk by The Spirit in Christ Jesus, then WE become dead to the law. It means we won't be breaking God's laws by following The Spirit.

And like Apostle Paul taught in 1 Timothy 1, the law is good, if used rightly. And it was not made for the righteous, but for the sinner and ungodly, etc. Paul gives a list of flesh sins there.

Per Apostle John also, the devil sinned in the beginning...

1 John 3:8
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

KJV

That reveals the very first sin was actually by Satan in that old world when God had originally created Satan perfect in his ways. Satan whom God created as a covering cherub to guard God's Throne, he instead coveted God's Throne, wanting to be GOD (Ezekiel 28; Isaiah 14). And for that reason is why The Father prepared this present world for His Son to be born and die on the cross, defeating the devil and death for us.

In Romans 7, Apostle Paul showed how our 2 parts of how God created us, wars against each other. Our flesh is at war with our spirit that is inside our flesh. Our spirit is of the heavenly order, and wants to follow God's laws. But our flesh instead is assigned to sin in its fleshy members. Most of our sins are caused by our flesh. This is also why Apostle Paul would say those who are dead are freed from sin.

On the future "last trump" when Jesus comes, the resurrection happens and those of us still alive on earth are suddenly 'changed', "at the twinkling of an eye", to the "spiritual body". Then we all... will understand this completely. Yet some will still choose to follow the devil (Rev.20).

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
What does the Word of God say about the sinners or them which do evil?

Romans 2:v.12 to 16
12 For as many as have sinned WITHOUT LAW (the Gentiles) shall also PERISH without law (will not be Judged by the Law and will perish): and as many as have sinned in the law (the Jews) shall be JUDGED by the law;

13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

16 In the Day (THIS dAY ARRIVED) when God shall Judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Adam, was created in the image and likeness of GOD.
And the murderous and fratricidal Cain? was created in the image of who?

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Bible indicates that there are two kinds of sin....one that resides in a now imperfect body causing aging, sickness, death and a propensity to make bad decisions....and the other is the deliberate act of doing something that you know is against God's law.

The apostle Paul lamented about this situation....
Romans 7:21-25...
"So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin." (NASB)
Jesus came to do away with the first kind of sin by giving his life for ours, and to forgive those who have sinned but are repentant.
There is no forgiveness for unrepentant sin.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Pharisee is found/discovered in and by this response. Sins "manifest themselves" when we turn away from God. Like King David, we all find it difficult to know and understand that we have turned away from a personal relationship with God and become His puppeteer where we are in fact the god of our life.

Shalom

A sad but true trait we inherited from Adam, the very thing satan told Eve right up front, you can be your own god.

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
A sad but true trait we inherited from Adam, the very thing satan told Eve right up front, you can be your own god.

Greetings in Christ JESUS
Robert

Yes, this was/is the greatest sin, to want be equal with God but only after he had been induced by Satan, so Adam acted equal to Satan's intent and under his dominion. JESUS, as a man, did not do that, and He is our great and wonderful example, being the brightness of GOD's glory, and the express image of GOD's person. "Who, being in the form of GOD, thought it not robbery to be equal with GOD" - Philippians 2:v.6:

As you said,"A sad but true trait we inherited from Adam,(after disobedience to what GOD commanded him not to do) the very thing satan told Eve right up front, you can be your own god". JESUS, as a man, did not do that, and He is our great and wonderful example, "being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of GOD's person", as is written in Hebrews 1:v.3. And the Lord God said: Behold, the man IS BECOME as one of us. How? Knowing good and evil simply, that's it.

Then the good that the man would want to do, does not do (he has no dominion over himself), so he only does evil that he would not want to do. And this man does it, because he is dominated only and only by the evil acquired consequently and automatically by disobeying the order that God had given him.

Many things we can comment about, of course.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin also destroys and effects not only yourself, but others around you. It can even effect your relationship with God. Paul talks about dying to sin, however that he is carnal and sold under sin. That sin can come up and rise up out of us but it is not us indeed it is the flesh. The flesh can cause us problems when it starts to become active, compared to allowing the Holy Spirit to flow instead which the spirit of Christ, helps us hold our flesh back.

From having all types of tendencies.

One of the best ways to get a grip on the Flesh and understand it is from Paul writing to Galatians.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

These sins, can not enter into the kingdom of God because they are all from the fallen nature of Man, however all the things pertaining to the spirit will be able to enter. Therefore as you go through life, lean on building the new spiritual person, inner creation that has been created having been born again by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
1John 5:v.14 to 21

14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.

20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

JESUS said: Mattew 12:v.36-37 and 31-32
36 Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in this Day of Judgment. (This Day has just arrived)
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Spirit , it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings in Christ JESUS
Robert

Yes, this was/is the greatest sin, to want be equal with God but only after he had been induced by Satan, so Adam acted equal to Satan's intent and under his dominion. JESUS, as a man, did not do that, and He is our great and wonderful example, being the brightness of GOD's glory, and the express image of GOD's person. "Who, being in the form of GOD, thought it not robbery to be equal with GOD" - Philippians 2:v.6:

As you said,"A sad but true trait we inherited from Adam,(after disobedience to what GOD commanded him not to do) the very thing satan told Eve right up front, you can be your own god". JESUS, as a man, did not do that, and He is our great and wonderful example, "being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of GOD's person", as is written in Hebrews 1:v.3. And the Lord God said: Behold, the man IS BECOME as one of us. How? Knowing good and evil simply, that's it.

Then the good that the man would want to do, does not do (he has no dominion over himself), so he only does evil that he would not want to do. And this man does it, because he is dominated only and only by the evil acquired consequently and automatically by disobeying the order that God had given him.

Many things we can comment about, of course.

Thanks Osa, Jesus was the perfect example of humility and submission in the service of his God for sure, our example to follow 1 Pet 2:21. One thing to make perfectly clear however like Philippians brings out, equality with God is not something to be grasped. Jesus openly stated that God was greater than he was Jn 14:28, but we should never forget he is God's right hand man so to speak, and that there is a chain of command in the Christian faith.

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
Thanks Osa, Jesus was the perfect example of humility and submission in the service of his God for sure, our example to follow 1 Pet 2:21. One thing to make perfectly clear however like Philippians brings out, equality with God is not something to be grasped. Jesus openly stated that God was greater than he was Jn 14:28, but we should never forget he is God's right hand man so to speak, and that there is a chain of command in the Christian faith.

Yes, Robert
To the only wise God our Saviour -by/through our LORD Jesus Christ- , be Glory and Majesty, Dominion and Power, both now and ever. Amen.

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
Sin also destroys and effects not only yourself, but others around you. It can even effect your relationship with God. Paul talks about dying to sin, however that he is carnal and sold under sin. That sin can come up and rise up out of us but it is not us indeed it is the flesh. The flesh can cause us problems when it starts to become active, compared to allowing the Holy Spirit to flow instead which the spirit of Christ, helps us hold our flesh back.

From having all types of tendencies.

One of the best ways to get a grip on the Flesh and understand it is from Paul writing to Galatians.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

These sins, can not enter into the kingdom of God because they are all from the fallen nature of Man, however all the things pertaining to the spirit will be able to enter. Therefore as you go through life, lean on building the new spiritual person, inner creation that has been created having been born again by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Excellent post. Praised be GOD

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Robert
To the only wise God our Saviour -by/through our LORD Jesus Christ- , be Glory and Majesty, Dominion and Power, both now and ever. Amen.

May I ask you point blank Osa, who is that wise God, is He named in the Bible sir?

Oseas

Dec 22, 2019
Joinville
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
May I ask you point blank Osa, who is that wise God, is He named in the Bible sir?

Sorry, the verse is written in Jude 1:v.25. But answering your question,
Yes, He is named in the Bible, and remembering an interesting happening about His name here goes Acts 4:v5 to 12 and 17-18

5 And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes,
6 And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.
7 And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what NAME, have ye done this?

8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,
9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;
10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the NAME of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom GOD raised from the dead, even by Him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This -JESUS- is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other NAME under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this NAME.
18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the NAME of JESUS.

It's wonderful