SinSinSin...RepentRepentRepent...YackYackYack...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin is a bad thing

Really? By the looks of your title you seem to make very light of sin, or are even making fun of those who actually take sin seriousely.

if you are a Believer in Jesus.If you are a Believer, God has Promised to Firgive you for all of your sins.....past ,present , and future.....He promised to take your sins and toss them into the “ deepest depths of the sea”.Your sins are as far

Past present and future?

Scripture please.

Also, if that is the case, why in Jesus's lords prayer are we instructed to ask for forgiveness continually?

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So...if I willingly sin, do I need to repent?

If you willfully sin after conversion, you have been brought to the point of impossibility to do so:

Hebrews 6:4-6

“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.”

What deeply concerns me is why some prefer the “change of mind” definition...

Perhaps it is impossible for them to be brought again to the true biblical repentance.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Godly Repentance

2 Cor 7
yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. 11 See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done

hope this helps !!!
@Christophany Good passage there!

Reactions: ChristisGod

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ll stop reading here.

Repent is to show regret and sorrow after one comes to realize the evil they have done.

"I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." (Jeremiah 8:6)

You are correct.....the Problem is that the Translators took three different Greek words and translated them as” Repent”
It can definitely mean what you say it does , that is the meaning of ONE of the three greek words ....anytime the subject is Salvation , however , it is in conjunction with the word “ metanoia” which literally means “ mind chang”
Did you know that there was a time where Moses TOLD GOD to “ REPENT”.....Had God Sinned and done something wicked? Even “you” must know the answer for that ! Moses wanted God to “ change His mind” about wiping out Israel and starting all over with Moses.
Nobody in the Bible “Repented” more than God ( six times , I think! ) You need to understand that the word “ repentance” is not always synonymous with “ repent from sins” , nor does it always mean to have regret and sorrow for an evil done—- that can be “ part” of it .....it does not always have to be
If one “ changes his mind” about the Truth Of The Gospel , He is Saved . The “ mind change” that takes you from an UNbeliever to a BELIEVER is the Repentance That gets you Saved .
Do some studying and research in regard to the three different meanings of “ repentance” .....I did mine....

Reactions: Azim and Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct.....the Problem is that the Translators took three different Greek words and translated them as” Repent”
It can definitely mean what you say it does , that is the meaning of ONE of the three greek words ....anytime the subject is Salvation , however , it is in conjunction with the word “ metanoia” which literally means “ mind chang”
Did you know that there was a time where Moses TOLD GOD to “ REPENT”.....Had God Sinned and done something wicked? Even “you” must know the answer for that ! Moses wanted God to “ change His mind” about wiping out Israel and starting all over with Moses.
Nobody in the Bible “Repented” more than God ( six times , I think! ) You need to understand that the word “ repentance” is not always synonymous with “ repent from sins” , nor does it always mean to have regret and sorrow for an evil done—- that can be “ part” of it .....it does not always have to be
If one “ changes his mind” about the Truth Of The Gospel , He is Saved . The “ mind change” that takes you from an UNbeliever to a BELIEVER is the Repentance That gets you Saved .
Do some studying and research in regard to the three different meanings of “ repentance” .....I did mine....
Good OP...I was just starting a thread about faith....Jesus who is the author and finisher of our faith...what does this actually mean?
I didn't want to derail your thread so I started this one...it ties in well with what you have said.
Here is the link:
Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith...what does this mean?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Reactions: Heart2Soul

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So...if I willingly sin, do I need to repent?
Don't complicate it... just answer the question.

Yep.....but not for Salvation. For peace of mind and the restoration of a damaged relationship.....try getting your prayers answered while you are “ willfully Sinning” and not having any remorse about it...it ain’t happening...

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.”
Let's examine "fallen away"...
Now are you curious as to why it doesn't say "if they sin again it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance?"
Even Jesus told us to pray daily the Lord's prayer which includes "forgive us of our sins as we forgive those who sin against us"...
We are instructed to daily repent....
So how is it that if we sin it is impossible to be able to repent?
Now this is what falling away means...
To turn away from the belief that you obtained in the Gospel of Jesus...the Truth of His Word...and turn back to your old pagan beliefs. Worshipping false gods and following false doctrine.

Edit:
And no comment....hmmm...well so much for that. Just hoping to get another thought on this. :)...maybe @Nancy will reply
:D

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Godly Repentance

2 Cor 7
yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. 11 See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done

hope this helps !!!

Once again , the Repentance being discussed involves a “ change of mind” , a “ coming to one’s senses”..... This lecture by Paul to “ Saved Believers” is about the guy that was having sexual relations with his Step Mother ( Perhaps even worse than that!)
The Church did not show any sorrow about what this Rat was doing....they were , in fact, BRAGGING about it .....they were so “ loving” and confident about Grace, they were proud to show that they would put up with anything....
After Paul gave them a good “ Dressing Down” , they had a “ mind change” ( Repentance...Metanoia) .....they “changed their minds” from Pride about their Lenience and” love” , to sorrow and regret when they realized what a travesty and an outrageous Sin they were displaying before an on- Looking world....much better things are to be expected out of any gathering of people that are calling themselves followers of Jesus.....any church that puts up with Blatant Sin needs to Repent Of it.....once again, “change your mind”..... DEAL with it ....don’t turn a “ blind eye” towards it.....Repent and do the Right thing.....that Church “did” the Right Thing—- they kicked the guy out of the Church until “ HE “ Repented.....he “ changed his mind” about his terrible conduct , abandoned it and the Church warmly restored the man.......especially after Paul warned them not to be mean to the man....after all......THEY might be NEXT to Mess Up !
The word “ Repentance” is so all- encompassing , and Sorrow and guilt are so often inter- twined with the mind change and the application of it , and the desire to “ quit Sinning” is so strong when you mistakenly think you are going to Hell if you “ Don’t Change Your Ways “ it is easy to See why good, intelligent people disagree about it.....
I have said more than once that Repentance is Mandatory for Salvation .....but it depends upon how you define it ...The ONLY type of Repentance that is guaranteed to save a Soul should be obvious ....if the Gospel Of 1Cor15:1-4 says that by simply Believing it , you will be Saved......when you changed your mind from either trusting in yourself for Salvation or trusting in Nothing for Salvation and started Belong in the Gospel for Salvation....You Underwent the Repentance That Saves.....
The problem that is too common today is that people think “ repenting from SINS “ is the Path to take to get Saved .That Path is NEVER mentioned in the Bible for Salvation if by saying that , one means that they are going to try to keep the Law and find their Justification that way..... “ By The Works Of The Law No Man will be Justified.
God says “ TURN to me and I will turn to you” .....God says that if you will “Turn to Him, with Faith in Jesus Christ, He will Save you to the Uttermost ! That “ Turning” that results from “ changing your mind” about Jesus is what Saves . We don’t turn “FROM” Sin in order to get Saved —even though that Is Rey likely going to follow—- we Turn “ TO “ God .....
We don’t Clean up the House by stopping Sinning and then inviting Him in ..... we invite Him in and He does the Cleaning.....working vs.Trusting .....it’s the difference between Heaven and Hell.....repent from your mistaken ideas about repentance...

Reactions: Azim

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin is a bad thing.....sometimes a Terrible thing....duh. After a person Repents, that is, “ changes his mind” from “SELF TRUST” to “JESUS TRUST” he is Saved.So much for that.
As we established earlier , sin is bad.....any sin hurts others, hurts ourselves and displeases God On Account Of that Hurt.
However, too many “confused” Christians ....too many “poorly taught” Christians seem to live their lives Dwelling on the subject of Sin....something that God took care of for you, if you are a Believer in Jesus.If you are a Believer, God has Promised to Firgive you for all of your sins.....past ,present , and future.....He promised to take your sins and toss them into the “ deepest depths of the sea”.Your sins are as far removed from His sight as “ The East is from the West” And don’t tell anybody , but the Topper to all of this is that when the Accuser stands before you and God and tries to bring up all of your sins to God so that you can join him in Hell and get what you justly deserve , God is gonna say, “ What Sins? I don’t remember them!” Surprise! It’s just like Promised ! Saved “ To The Uttermost!”
So, in light all of these great Promises, the concern for Sin certainly has its place , but I know that ever since I became “A New Creation in Christ Jesus” , RESTING in paul’s Gospel of Grace Plus Nothing , I have become MUCH more “ SON” conscience “ as opposed to “SIN” Conscience
God’s Assurance Of Salvation for all Believers and His Amazing Grace , once fully recognized and internalized , so Out- Shadows everything else , I find myself delivered from the Baby World existence of sin ...repent.....sin ....repent, ad nauseam, keeping my eyes
on Myself instead of keeping my eyes on Him.....
A life devoted to Sin-Maitainence as opposed to Son Appreciation shows a lack of confidence in the Plan Of God for His Children , simply put, it shows a lack of Faith . It’s a Paradox, but nevertheless it is True......the More I keep my eyes on Him and HIS Performance, not being so Obsessed with “ my” pitiful Performance —- the Better my Performance becomes .Christianity is kinda “ crazy “ like that.....Full Of Paradoxes—— you go up by going down......you become first by being last....I am finding that the less I worry about sin the better job I do Of not Sinning .....hmmmm... I wonder if God knew that long before I did......God bless...

Grace alone does not normally save a person. Let me remind you what Jesus said about them on the left: Matthew 25:26-41

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repent is to show regret and sorrow after one comes to realize the evil they have done.
Actually, the Hebrew that is translated repent means, I believe, to change your direction. Stop going the way you were going and turn around.

The Greek that is translated repentance means to have a new mind.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, in light all of these great Promises, the concern for Sin certainly has its place , but I know that ever since I became “A New Creation in Christ Jesus” , RESTING in paul’s Gospel of Grace Plus Nothing , I have become MUCH more “ SON” conscience “ as opposed to “SIN” Conscience
God’s Assurance Of Salvation for all Believers and His Amazing Grace , once fully recognized and internalized , so Out- Shadows everything else , I find myself delivered from the Baby World existence of sin ...repent.....sin ....repent, ad nauseam, keeping my eyes
on Myself instead of keeping my eyes on Him.....
Amen, Amen, and Amen!!!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My understanding is that the Hebrew means a change of direction. Context tells us whether it's someone changing from sin to righteousness. In some cases it's God changing from destroying a nation or person, then not. Not that it would have been sin if He had, of course!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep.....but not for Salvation. For peace of mind and the restoration of a damaged relationship.....try getting your prayers answered while you are “ willfully Sinning” and not having any remorse about it...it ain’t happening...
There's an interesting thing about that. We can have boldness to come to God's throne of grace for timely help. And I need that help most when I'm really tangled up in sin! But the simple truth is that my sin will not prevent my communion with God, and when I see the hardness in my yet not renewed mind, I can still come to God over that very thing! And receive help from Him. This is amazing and wonderful, that we have fellowship with God based on what Jesus did, not what I do.

But having sin in our lives is an obstacle to faith for many, who believe it condemns them.

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, if the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us because we walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit, does that mean that we have tried to justify ourselves through law-keeping?

Are you asking me to acknowledge your good works?

I'm not sure that I understand your question...but if I do understand it my answer is no.

What I am trying to say is that if we fulfill the righteousness of the law in our behaviour, we haven't necessarily fallen from grace.

I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died;

@justbyfaith @Waiting on him

Isn't this an illustration of the letter killing? Is this bad?

Yes, in this context the letter killing is bad...it is the "forbidden fruit" or the "wet paint" principle in operation.

What does anyone think of the application of "the letter kills" to what is written in Romans 8:13?

In becoming a believer, a person gets forgiven of all their sins, correct?

My Bible says that whosoever is forgiven much, loves much (Luke 7:36-50).

Since love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4), I would say that the person who is truly forgiven will begin to fulfill the law (cease from sinning).

...any church that puts up with Blatant Sin needs to Repent Of it.....once again, “change your mind”..... DEAL with it ....don’t turn a “ blind eye” towards it.....Repent and do the Right thing...

Amen.

The word “ Repentance” is so all- encompassing , and Sorrow and guilt are so often inter- twined with the mind change and the application of it , and the desire to “ quit Sinning” is so strong when you mistakenly think you are going to Hell if you “ Don’t Change Your Ways “ it is easy to See why good, intelligent people disagree about it.....

I have heard of a scenario where an airplane stewardess, when the plane was going down, told the people on the plane, "Would you like to try a parachute? it will make your life easier and you will have joy and peace, etc." The people who received parachutes rejected them after a while; because they found that there was great discomfort in wearing them and the other people on the plane were ridiculing them.

Another stewardess told the truth. "There is not enough gas in the tank and the plane is not going to reach its destination...it is going down. Who wants a parachute?" The people who took parachutes kept them on the whole way; and if anyone ridiculed them, it didn't make a difference because they knew they were saving their lives. And having the parachutes gave them joy, peace, etc.

Therefore the doctrine of hell is a sound doctrine that ought to be preached more often. And, if sin will put you there, I believe that sin ought to be preached against to the extent that sin will put you in hell if you indulge in its practices (see Matthew 5:29-30).

God says “ TURN to me and I will turn to you” .....God says that if you will “Turn to Him, with Faith in Jesus Christ, He will Save you to the Uttermost !

@Blood Bought 1953, what does this mean to you, "saved to the uttermost"?

Does it mean being set free from the power of sin (see Matthew 1:21, Titus 2:14)?

Or, does it mean that when you get to heaven, you can continue to sin because Jesus only paid the penalty and didn't deal with the sin itself?

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States