Sola Scriptura

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church today is anyone who is a believer.

That's NOT what the Bible says.

Even the DEMONS believe in God (James 2:19).
Are they part of the Church??

Also - Jesus said that HIS Church was a VISIBLE entity on earth - NOT an "invisible" body of "believers" (Matt. 5:14).

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to repeat the following because you did not address it the first time: "Now explain how I used Scripture out of context, please."

perhaps not to you specifically but its been covered.

If you want a specific addressment, then give me the Scriptural point you think is applicable and i will correct your error accordingly.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You raise a whole different issue.
I commented on what you actually said.
Please don't try & divert.
This has to do with Sola Scriptura, and you already commented on it to object to my conclusion.

You just evaded. Any normal honest child would answer the question. You are an unbeliever in Scripture and in the God of Scripture. Like the Jews of Jesus' day, you have your own religion according to your own traditions, not according to Scripture.

And Jesus answered and said unto them, I will also ask of you one question, and answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? answer me. And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then did ye not believe him? But if we shall say, Of men; they feared the people: for all men counted John, that he was a prophet indeed. And they answered and said unto Jesus, We cannot tell. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things.

You reason with yourself, that if you say yes, then you also know anything that is not provable by Scripture cannot be declared as true of God, and if anything contradicts Scripture, it must be false.

Which of course is Sola Scriptura. Which is why your answer is "I won't tell".

You reject Sola Scriptura because you reject all Scripture as true of God.

You are an unbeliever.

(You are to be commended however for not allowing yourself to lie about believing all Scripture of God. Though, you did so in a childish little way, because you are not a little child coming to Jesus and His Word, written as Scripture of God)

Reactions: Zao is life

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures. (1 Cor 15)

As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Gal 1)

The gospel which we recieved from the apostles, by which we are saved, and by which we stand in the faith of Jesus is according to the Scriptures.

Sola Scriptura preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ according to the Scriptures, as did His apostles.

That which does not preach according to the Scriptures is a false gospel and accursed.

Jesus showed from the Scriptures, that He was indeed the Christ, Paul reasoned from the Scripture to do the same, and Stephen spoke from the Scriptures to reprove them that had Jesus crucified.

The Gospel of Jesus being the Christ comes from the Scriptures. If Scripture is not being preached, nor does Scripture approve it, then it is a cursed gospel.

Sola Scriptura proves whether the gospel being preached is that of Jesus as the christ, or is that of another christ from another gospel.

Of course they all used scripture. But that does not prove scripture alone.

As I pointed out in another post Jesus and the apostles used Jewish Tradition
Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying, “The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you.” (Mt 23:1-3). The scribes and Pharisees had a valid and binding teaching authority passed down from Moses. This is not in scripture but in the Mishnah (originally an oral tradition).
The chair of Moses outside a synagogue was the traditional place where teachers (Pharisees) sat to teach people.

Matthew taught:
He went and dwelt in a town called Nazareth, so that what had been spoken through the prophets might be fulfilled, “He shall be called a Nazorean.” Nowhere in scripture does it say “He shall be called a Nazorean”.
Matthew is quoting from Tradition.

Paul taught:
“they drank from a spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was the Christ.” (1Cor 10:4).
Scripture does not say the rock followed them, but rabbinic tradition does.

“Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses..” (2Tim 3:8)
Jannes and Jambres are not found in scripture.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
please child, you are addressing those vastly superior to your own ilk. Dont insult our intelligence with RCC lies and half baked attempts to explain them away.
Sooooo - I take that as your admission that you can't refute ANY of the Scriptural evidence I gave you for prayerful intercession.
Pretty much what I expected from you . . .
I don't view him as an authority because he has (had) no authority. He was aware enough to be one of the first to realize the heresy of the RCC and seek escape which is worthy of respect
You dodged the question.

You reject Luther as authoritative - yet you adhere to HIS edited Canon of the OT.
WHY is that if you don't view him with Authority?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This has to do with Sola Scriptura, and you already commented on it to object to my conclusion.

You just evaded. Any normal honest child would answer the question. You are an unbeliever in Scripture and in the God of Scripture. Like the Jews of Jesus' day, you have your own religion according to your own traditions, not according to Scripture.

And Jesus answered and said unto them, I will also ask of you one question, and answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? answer me. And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then did ye not believe him? But if we shall say, Of men; they feared the people: for all men counted John, that he was a prophet indeed. And they answered and said unto Jesus, We cannot tell. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things.

You reason with yourself, that if you say yes, then you also know anything that is not provable by Scripture cannot be declared as true of God, and if anything contradicts Scripture, it must be false.

Which of course is Sola Scriptura. Which is why your answer is "I won't tell".

You reject Sola Scriptura because you reject all Scripture as true of God.

You are an unbeliever.

(You are to be commended however for not allowing yourself to lie about believing all Scripture of God. Though, you did so in a childish little way, because you are not a little child coming to Jesus and His Word, written as Scripture of God)

I commented on the specific quote from your post.
You say "You reject Sola Scriptura because you reject all Scripture as true of God."

That is a LIE. I have never rejected any scripture as "true of God".
When you have to resort to lying about what I say then have failed.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Before we move on to discussing other verses, let's finish our discussion regarding Is. 8:20. Address post #249, please.
What discussion? I'm not entering into a discussion with Catholic apologists seeking to destroy Protestant faith in God's word. Cleave to your false traditions if you must... Leave us alone to follow our own path. I trust the scriptures. You would do better to do the same, but it's your choice.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gaslighting is what is Obvious.
No problem to Disagree with a persons stated position.
UNTIL... the WHY they Disagree is A man devised DRAFTED False Premise, that such DRAFING IS A GLARING FLASE CLAIM.

No where does Scripture claim men disagreed with Paul's teaching, Based on the Examining the Scriptures.

AND...those who simply Disagreed with Paul, WITHOUT a basis IN Scripture were excluded from being recognized at nobel.

Stand with WHAT IS in Scripture...rather than falling for psychobababbling and gaslighting of what is NOT in Scripture.
And now i introduce to you Mr Lee . his full name is ED Zach Lee . Prounounce that name three times fast .
YES INDEED . Let us cling to the glorious Truth of our Lord and all things written for our admonition in that bible .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ravenous wolves have crept in amongst the church , preaching doctrine that leads to the enslavement of men .
Resist them through Faith in Christ and stay firmly planted in the biblical doctrine .
The duty of a harlot is to bring many sons and daughters to her empire and then say , I have done well to myself
and have saved many souls . When in truth the Whore deceived many souls . And she bows unto her idols .
All who do enter into convenant with such a harlot are as the idols of men . Having eyes that see not
and having ears that hear not . Always learning but never able to come to the truth . Like as is the idol
so is the one who sits under the harlot . Not knowing that they are dead and that their end is the second death .
STAY IN THOSE BIBLES . The harlot rages indoctrinational war upon the masses . Come ye she says
and let us drink of the stolen waters , for I , says she HOLDS THE KEYS . But the only keys she holds
are the keys that leadeth through the door of death and its end the second death . Be on gaurd everyone .
They are even amongst us now . Doing all to make desciples of men unto their own , contrary to scripture , doctrines .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church today is anyone who is a believer.

The church today is not actually a material building but it is a spiritual body of believers.

You have some that are eyes, feet, legs, arms, hands.

There are many believers out there scattered they are in all types of denominations out there who have well meaning and true lovers of God and the Lord Jesus Christ out there, who live by the spirit.

Love those people who are Calvinist if that is what they believe but man they can be very hard on other people. It is unfortunate but it is part of the world of ' Christianity ' - Some people will believe that they are more special than other people when in retrospective reality all people are on the same page.

Believer or not believer. God is the savior of all people - especially those who believe.

Believer have the benefit of having God in their life but that doesn't make them more special than anyone else.

God is calling to and towards all people.

Love the truth you share until it gets mixed with human understanding. Get back to SOLA SCRIPTURA

Love people especially those who belong to Christ (irregardless of religious labels) = AMEN

Accurist

Jun 30, 2021
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want a specific addressment, then give me the Scriptural point you think is applicable and i will correct your error accordingly.

You already know which verses you accused me of using out of context because you said, "You have a penchant for using scripture out of context to support non truths as you did in 249...". (#250)

Accurist

Jun 30, 2021
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What discussion? I'm not entering into a discussion with Catholic apologists seeking to destroy Protestant faith in God's word. Cleave to your false traditions if you must... Leave us alone to follow our own path. I trust the scriptures. You would do better to do the same, but it's your choice.

Our discussion about Sola Scriptura began with your post #133, continued (#154, #155, #244, #246, #249, #274, #299), and ended with your post #330 which was in reply to my prompting you to address post #249. Bow out duly noted.

Edits:
Added a comma.

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because the traditions that resulted in a pretended sacredness of Sunday is unsafe seeing it has no foundation in scripture.

Pretended sacredness of Sunday?

In 1 Corinthians 16:2, Paul says, "On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that contributions need not be made when I come." He implores his readers to get their contribution together ahead of time so it won't have to be put together when he arrives (see 2 Cor. 9:3-5).

He tells them that the gift was to be given every Sunday. Why? Because that is the day the early Church met for worship. On that day, the early Church commemorated Christ's resurrection on Sunday, the first day of the week, because that was the day Christ arose (Mark 16:9, see also Mark 16:2 and Luke 24:1).

His Resurrection is now the main event in the history of salvation, not creation.

The day of the Resurrection: the new creation

As I showed you from various quotations the very early Christians worshipped on Sunday.
Ignatius of Antioch is a very important witness. He was martyred about the year 107 - 110

According to the Church historian Eusebius he was a bishop for 40 year. Therefore he was a bishop during the apostolic era. Indeed Theodoret of Cyrus (5th century) says he was appointed to the see of Antioch by St. Peter himself and was the third bishop there, Peter himself being the first (before he moved to Rome). He and his friend Polycarp were reputed to be disciples of the apostles John.

Ignatius wrote
If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to The Magnesians, AD 110).

Sola Scripture has no foundation in scripture but you follow its false doctrine.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

i was raised a Catholic for many years, then Jesus rescued me and revealed His Word which resulted in my Second Birth and was adopted into His Body = the Church.

Now Christ is my Shepherd and my family are those 'who do the will of My(Jesus) Father in Heaven.'

SOLA SCRIPTURA the place where idols are crushed to dust, where religion dies, where men are made ALIVE,
and God is Glorified.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Backlit

Another pointer to the sacredness of Sunday:
Before his crucifiction Jesus, as a Jew, kept the Jewish Sabbath under the Old Covenant. But after his resurrection (now we are in the New Covenant) Sunday becomes more significant.
Jesus' first two appearances to the twelve disciples were on Sunday (Jn. 20:19, 20:26).
Again, five weeks later—on Sunday—the Holy Spirit descended on the apostles.

Status
Not open for further replies.