Sola Scriptura

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does that null the fact of Paul being an Apostle of God and Selected by the Lord Jesus Christ though? Is the real question.

Should you throw all away all of the other books of the bible and just keep the Gospels and should you or all as a collective group act as though we are living in the first century?

Do not believe that Jesus Christ; sought to have any dominion over others either actually. He did speak against people whom were Jewish claiming they had faith in God yet were Hypocrites, He also spoke to His disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem sure.

He never forced anyone to believe in Him. People make choice to believe in Him, and do believe that God is still calling people to come learn the truth about the Lord Jesus Christ but there are some who accept the call, and some who do not.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura begins with confession from the heart that all things written by the prophets and the apostles from Moses to John are all Scripture of God: they are all true things of God, and no Scripture contradicts another.

Scripture of the Bible does not have flaws of men written therein.

Therefore, anything not written in Scripture of the Bible that is not proven by Scripture, cannot be declared to be true of God: it cannot be rightly ministered as things of God for all to believe and obey.

We can have all the personal beliefs that we want, that Scripture does not necessarily prove, but we cannot then preach them as true for all to believe and obey.

And if anything plainly contradicts Scripture, it is false. A lie of the devil. A vain imagination of men. And if ministered as true of God, it is the false traditions of men taught for doctrine of God, even as them that had Jesus crucified, because He called their traditions lies of the devil, and proved it by Scripture.

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 2)

Scripture is not saying there are no private interpretations or personal beliefs about Scripture, of which there are plenty that Scripture may not exactly confirm. What Scripture is saying, is that we are not to then take those unproven personal interpretations of Scripture, and go about preaching them as Scripture: go about preaching our own righteousness for righteousness of God.

Reactions: David in NJ

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura PROVEN = go to post #234
WRONG.
Neither of those verses proves Sola Scriptura.

Pay attention: "Sctriptura" refers to what is WRITTEN.
"Sola" means "ALONE".

The Bible never states that ONLY the WRITTEN Word is Authoritative.
As I have shown you guys ad nauseam - the Bible states that sacred Tradition holds the SAME weight as what is written (2 Thess. 2:15).

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If all things are possible with God then why did my mothers mom kill herself?

Why did not God help her not kill herself?

@robert derrick

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does that null the fact of Paul being an Apostle of God and Selected by the Lord Jesus Christ though? Is the real question.

Should you throw all away all of the other books of the bible and just keep the Gospels and should you or all as a collective group act as though we are living in the first century?

Do not believe that Jesus Christ; sought to have any dominion over others either actually. He did speak against people whom were Jewish claiming they had faith in God yet were Hypocrites, He also spoke to His disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem sure.

He never forced anyone to believe in Him. People make choice to believe in Him, and do believe that God is still calling people to come learn the truth about the Lord Jesus Christ but there are some who accept the call, and some who do not.

Your mixing truth with error and personal human statements.

Jesus Christ came preaching the KINGDOM of GOD.
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.
Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

This is DOMINION over ALL other faiths/belief over ALL the world - PERIOD

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ was free from all Worldly Pride

Did you know that?

Of appearance Isaiah 53:2
Of Worldly success : Isaiah 53:3
Of Reputation Matthew 2:23
Of Riches Matthew 8:20
Of Rank Matthew 13:55
Of Kingship John 13:5

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a right to your own opinion, David.

You can say whatever you would like.

Jesus Christ has paid for all of the sins of the world and all people are dead in it. Those who accept the call of God raise again out of the world into new spiritual life. That is my subjective view on it all. People have faith and some people do not have faith by choice.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another impotent post - and yet you STILL can't prove Sola Scriptura from Scripture . . .

And your declaration of unbelief is why = i am laughing

The PROVEN TRUTH is there in front of you but you choose to reject for what???
= vain worthless religion

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@robert derrick You are right about that.

My mothers mother could have still been a believer just took her own life though. We do not know.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What we do know is that our Father in heaven is a good God. Not a tyrant.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now explain how I used Scripture out of context, please.

read up the thread and familiarize yourself if you have any questions and then present any specifics you may have left.

The points you proffered have been already properly refuted and you have brought nothing new as of this time.

I'm not inclined to engage in a never ending circular discussion so if you have something new and/or unique- raise it and I will correct you.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We Catholics not only believe in God's Word - we taught the world about it.
No. Your church used politics, threats, and force of arms to coerce the world to submit to a counterfeit authority that usurped the word of God and replaced it with a magisterium that "interprets" the scriptures to blend with your pagan roots. I say pagan roots, because the Catholic Church as an institution was not the church that the apostles founded; that church began well like all the churches of Antioch, Jerusalem, etc, but the moment your bishops sought political power and prestige, introducing pagan symbols and forms in order to fill the church with nominal cheerleaders and empirical sycophants, the divorce came. Your church then began a campaign against the believers who refused to surrender to the new world order, the new Babylon, and those bishops who didn't bow their knees to Baal, were excommunicated or worse. And with the resulting history of ongoing war against the saints over the last 1500 years it is quite frankly embarrassing that you, a professing Christian, should attempt to deny history and pretend, after all the evidence against you, that your church actually taught a real gospel. Unbelievers reading threads like this would be astonished at your boldness and audacity in the face of all the evidence against you.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
["official" by a select group for a select group- nobody disputes that. Nowhere is that the final and only authority of God though and none of your twisting is going to make it so. The fact it kept changing is also evidence of the weakness of the process.
And the further those poor deluded "catholics" strayed and mutated into the modern RCC- the worse it got.
Correction: The Canon was declared "Official" by the ONLY Christian Church that existed.
NONE of your disjointed Protestant sects existed at the time - so enough with the whining . . .

I dont view Luther as any kind of authority so I really don't care what he did or why. I will say it was fortunate he realized the truth and tried to do something about it.
And yet - you adhere to HIS edited Canon of the OT.
WHY is that if you don't view him with Authority?
Oh phuleeze. Even you arent that ignorant ( are you?)
Makes one wonder if this was all so true.. Why didnt Jesus and the Apostles actually set up the RCC and set up the infrastructure?
The answer is obvious. Peter never claimed to be the first Pope- another back engineered false doctrine brought to us by the Anti-Christs bestest PAC.
Scripture also doesn't have other intermediaries before Christ, Mary worship and a host of other doctrines of devils. We could write volumes on unscriptural RCC doctrines and other lies.
And that's why you're an anti-Catholic - because you LIE.

We don't "worship" Mary or anybody but God.
As for "intermediaries" - the Bible COMMANDS us to be intermediaries for each other (James 5:16).
Rev. 5:8 shows the Elders in heaven bringing our prayers before God and Rev. 8:3-4 speaks of the Angels in heaven doing the same thing.

Read your BIBLE, dude . . .

Accurist

Jun 30, 2021
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV Psalms 119:97, 104
97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

Before we move on to discussing other verses, let's finish our discussion regarding Is. 8:20. Address post #249, please.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You set up a straw man to knock down.
Rejecting Sola Scriptura does not mean "their unbelief in God", nor "make the incorruptible Word of God like unto the corruptible traditions of men." It just states that not all of God's words are written down in scripture, as scripture itself clearly states - as BreadOfLife has already shown (see post #204 for example).

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures. (1 Cor 15)

As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Gal 1)

The gospel which we recieved from the apostles, by which we are saved, and by which we stand in the faith of Jesus is according to the Scriptures.

Sola Scriptura preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ according to the Scriptures, as did His apostles.

That which does not preach according to the Scriptures is a false gospel and accursed.

Jesus showed from the Scriptures, that He was indeed the Christ, Paul reasoned from the Scripture to do the same, and Stephen spoke from the Scriptures to reprove them that had Jesus crucified.

The Gospel of Jesus being the Christ comes from the Scriptures. If Scripture is not being preached, nor does Scripture approve it, then it is a cursed gospel.

Sola Scriptura proves whether the gospel being preached is that of Jesus as the christ, or is that of another christ from another gospel.

Status
Not open for further replies.