Sola scriptura?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excuse me DID I CALL ON YOUR AVATAR @Jim B ?
Did I specifically call on anyone or name any?
Is not this thread Sola Scriptura?

Do NOT come @ me when the rag is on. You won't ( if you do) like me, I assure you this.
You are in a forum. Anyone can discuss the subject. If you don't want open discussion then you shouldn't be here.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are in a forum. Anyone can discuss the subject. If you don't want open discussion then you shouldn't be here.

Yes any one can, even ppl of low comprehension and bad spirits.

You brought your backwards regards to me, not I to you, remember. So live with my response!

This aggressive attitude stinks so maybe try a little prayer or a little ditty before you come next time.

You however DO NOT get to give me advice.........bye- bye.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This does mean a hug either but strong disagreement.Screenshot_20221126-144547~2.png

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes any one can, even ppl of low comprehension and bad spirits.

You brought your backwards regards to me, not I to you, remember. So live with my response!

This aggressive attitude stinks so maybe try a little prayer or a little ditty before you come next time.

You however DO NOT get to give me advice.........bye- bye.
You're joking, correct?

I can and will disagree with you and anyone else whenever I choose to do so. I do not have to "live with your response" (whatever that is supposed to mean).

I agree that this aggressive attitude (your reply) stinks so maybe try a little prayer or a little ditty before you post next time.

I will continue to give advice whenever and wherever I feel like it. Capiche?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Fair point with most of your post, though I think we need to define what is meant by the term "sola scriptura". It's a term not found in the bible, and I have both observed and experienced that arguing over man-made concepts leads to a lot of polarization and strife and is not helpful in the end. Different people can mean different things by a thing, or different details and nuances. Think it's much better to just look at what the bible says about God's word. Sure, He speaks to us in many various ways, but how do we test these things (as the bible says we need to do).....of course we need to test the spirits and test all things against the word of God, and what we learn in scripture about His ways and character as well. God's word is the plumbline against which we measure all things...and it is the only plumbline we have been given. Everything that man says and does needs to be measured against it.

What you are saying about "fundamentalism" is only sometimes true, as it is sometimes true about anything where human beings are involved. And what is fundamentalism anyway, that is another term not found in the bible. It can mean different things to different people...even those who call themselves fundamentalists have areas of disagreement. I would say fundamentalism is quite right in the fundamentals. "Ye must be born again" :)
Good post. It is true that God speaks to us in different ways... Through Providence... Nature...a whisper in the ear... Through others... Even rocks and donkeys... And of course prophets... But the Bible is and always should be the final authority. That's what miffs Rome... They demand that they are the final authority in all matters and they demand that their interpretation of tradition and scripture is Truth. And that's something we need to ask of ourselves in all spiritual matters: who is our authority?
On fundamentalism. A little research will reveal Rome's interpretation even of that. And the secular world is following suit in their description. It's a terrorist. A Bible believing Christian who expects Jesus soon return, accepts the blood of the Lamb as his only means to justification, rejects papal authority, questions the narrative and status quo surrounding popular political decisions surrounding climate change, COVID, globalism, woke ideologies etc.

Reactions: Nancy

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: Sola Scriptura?

Absolutely! The Living Christ And His Written Word Alone:

Psa 138:2 “I will worship toward Thy holy temple, and praise Thy Name for
Thy Lovingkindness and for Thy Truth: for Thou Hast MAGNIFIED Thy
Word Above All THY NAME.”

+
1Co 4:6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself
and Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think above

THAT WHICH IS WRITTEN...
(Why?):

...that no one of you be puffed up for one against another."

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nancy and Lizbeth

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what was the topic?
[summary from the OP]: The Apostles teach @theefaith using:
  • Smoke signals
  • Sign language
  • Radio
  • TV
  • Internet or
  • In person
Therefore, it is foolish to trust in only the written word (sola scriptura).

[Personally, I found the premise hardly worth discussing and a misunderstanding of what the Reformers meant by "Sola Scriptura".]

Reactions: The Learner

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[summary from the OP]: The Apostles teach @theefaith using:
  • Smoke signals
  • Sign language
  • Radio
  • TV
  • Internet or
  • In person
Therefore, it is foolish to trust in only the written word (sola scriptura).

[Personally, I found the premise hardly worth discussing and a misunderstanding of what the Reformers meant by "Sola Scriptura".]
Thank You, If one studies the five solas, they cannot seperate them to make strawman claims.

The Foundation is:

"The doctrine of solus Christus was highlighted during the Reformation as the Reformers identified the problem of a church that was casting shade on Christ; of a church that was arrogating to itself prerogatives that belong to Christ alone. This problem impressed upon the Reformers the need to purge anything that would throw shade upon the absolute brilliance of Christ’s supremacy in our salvation."

Reactions: atpollard