something every one should watch out for

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
by isolating verses one can make the bible say any thing they want to .

so

dont trust what some one says about verses untill you check it your self in context ..

read the verses in the bible for instance lets say the verses is talking about baptism . . read the whole chapter and several chapters before and after to make sure you under stand it in context

and then if you still are unsure read the outer contexts as well ,,meaning what every verse in the whole bible says about baptism reading them by several chapters before and after also.. :)

yes it takes much much more work yet you wont get fooled! by what some one thinks the bible is saying you will know what it is saying .

gods blessings

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is done by many, the may even take part of a verse, this is why we should study the scriptures ourselves.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's also accused by many.... Look at any thread and you're bound to see someone accuse another of taking a verse out of context (myself included) at times. This indicates to me that people are aware of it, but few believe they are guilty.

The only solution I see (if people want to avoid doing it) is to do what horsecamp suggested and I'd add to be ready to defend it against those that will accuse you. In other words, ask yourself if it is taken out of context and try to prove yourself wrong.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
It is frustrating when discussing subjects with those who have no interest or understanding about some of the basic rules of thumb in proper bible interpretation. But this problem in particular is not limited to reading the bible. Many times in the world of the media a person's interview will be edited with things taken out of context, resulting in a misrepresentation of the thoughts that are being communicated. People can easily be made to appear to be saying things that they really are not saying. In scripture interpretation, in some cases it is innocently done, but I wonder how many times it is deliberate.