Who is The Speaker in Isaiah 48:16?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

“Come near to Me, listen to this: From the beginning I have not spoken in secret, From the time it took place, I was there. And now the Lord God has sent Me, and His Spirit.”

The Speaker in this verse, and the passage, is distinct from “Yah·weh ’ă·ḏō·nāy”, which is incorrectly translated as “Lord God”. It should read, “Lord YHWH”.

“Lord YHWH”, is the Sender, and the Speaker is the One Who is Sent (šə·lā·ḥa·nî, “has sent Me”).

As the Speaker is One of Two Who are Sent by “Lord YHWH”, there can be no doubt that He is Jesus Christ, and “wə·rū·ḥōw”, “His Spirit”, is the Holy Spirit.

In verse 3 the Speaker, Who is Jesus Christ, says, “I declared the former things long ago, And they went out of My mouth, and I proclaimed them”, as in verse 5

In verse 11, Jesus says, “And I will not give My Glory to another”. In Isaiah 42:8, we read: “I am Yahweh. That is my Name. I will not give My Glory to another, nor my praise to engraved images”. Clearly Jesus Christ is also Yahweh.

In verses 12 and 13, Jesus goes on to say, “Listen to Me, Jacob, Israel whom I called; I am He, I am the First, I am also the Last. Assuredly My hand founded the earth, And My right hand spread out the heavens; When I call to them, they stand together”. In Isaiah 44:6, we read, “This is what Yahweh, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, Yahweh of Armies, says: “I am the First, and I am the Last; and besides me there is no God”. The phrase, “I am the First, and I am the Last”, literally has the meaning, “The Eternal One”, with no beginning or end. Both Jesus Christ, and the Father are coeternal, as both are Yahweh. And, again, in Isaiah 45:11-12, we read, “Yahweh, the Holy One of Israel and his Maker says: “You ask me about the things that are to come, concerning my sons, and you command me concerning the work of my hands! I have made the earth, and created man on it. I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens. I have commanded all their army”. These words are spoken by Jesus Christ in the passage in chapter 48 of Isaiah!

This passage in Isaiah 48, is one of the strongest in the Old Testament, which is pre Christian, that teaches that Jesus The Messiah, is Himself Yahweh, Almighty God, Who is coequal and coeternal with God the Father. It also teaches, that there are Two distinct Persons, the Sender and the One Sent, Who are both Yahweh.

In the Book of the Prophet Zechariah, we read in Chapter 2, verses 6-12, where the Speaker is also Yahweh, and says that Another Person, “Yahweh of the Armies”, is Sending Him.

Verses 11 and 12, “for behold I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” declares Yahweh...and you will know that Yahweh of armies has sent Me to you”

Here we have in the Jewish Old Testament, clear teaching that the God of the Holy Bible is not One Person. There are Two in these passages Who are YHWH, the Father and Jesus Christ.

This destroys the hersey of Unitarianism!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“Come near to Me, listen to this: From the beginning I have not spoken in secret, From the time it took place, I was there. And now the Lord God has sent Me, and His Spirit.”

The Speaker in this verse, and the passage, is distinct from “Yah·weh ’ă·ḏō·nāy”, which is incorrectly translated as “Lord God”. It should read, “Lord YHWH”.

“Lord YHWH”, is the Sender, and the Speaker is the One Who is Sent (šə·lā·ḥa·nî, “has sent Me”).

As the Speaker is One of Two Who are Sent by “Lord YHWH”, there can be no doubt that He is Jesus Christ, and “wə·rū·ḥōw”, “His Spirit”, is the Holy Spirit.

In verse 3 the Speaker, Who is Jesus Christ, says, “I declared the former things long ago, And they went out of My mouth, and I proclaimed them”, as in verse 5

In verse 11, Jesus says, “And I will not give My Glory to another”. In Isaiah 42:8, we read: “I am Yahweh. That is my Name. I will not give My Glory to another, nor my praise to engraved images”. Clearly Jesus Christ is also Yahweh.

In verses 12 and 13, Jesus goes on to say, “Listen to Me, Jacob, Israel whom I called; I am He, I am the First, I am also the Last. Assuredly My hand founded the earth, And My right hand spread out the heavens; When I call to them, they stand together”. In Isaiah 44:6, we read, “This is what Yahweh, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, Yahweh of Armies, says: “I am the First, and I am the Last; and besides me there is no God”. The phrase, “I am the First, and I am the Last”, literally has the meaning, “The Eternal One”, with no beginning or end. Both Jesus Christ, and the Father are coeternal, as both are Yahweh. And, again, in Isaiah 45:11-12, we read, “Yahweh, the Holy One of Israel and his Maker says: “You ask me about the things that are to come, concerning my sons, and you command me concerning the work of my hands! I have made the earth, and created man on it. I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens. I have commanded all their army”. These words are spoken by Jesus Christ in the passage in chapter 48 of Isaiah!

This passage in Isaiah 48, is one of the strongest in the Old Testament, which is pre Christian, that teaches that Jesus The Messiah, is Himself Yahweh, Almighty God, Who is coequal and coeternal with God the Father. It also teaches, that there are Two distinct Persons, the Sender and the One Sent, Who are both Yahweh.

In the Book of the Prophet Zechariah, we read in Chapter 2, verses 6-12, where the Speaker is also Yahweh, and says that Another Person, “Yahweh of the Armies”, is Sending Him.

Verses 11 and 12, “for behold I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” declares Yahweh...and you will know that Yahweh of armies has sent Me to you”

Here we have in the Jewish Old Testament, clear teaching that the God of the Holy Bible is not One Person. There are Two in these passages Who are YHWH, the Father and Jesus Christ.

It may very well be speaking of Isaiah himself. From the start of his ministry he had been speaking under the anointing of God's Spirit, and was clearly sent by God. In this he is, as are many, a picture of Christ, who would be sent by God and who authored God's plans from the beginning of time. But the main intention is to claim inspiration by God for Isaiah, who foretold these things by the Spirit of God.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It may very well be speaking of Isaiah himself. From the start of his ministry he had been speaking under the anointing of God's Spirit, and was clearly sent by God. In this he is, as are many, a picture of Christ, who would be sent by God and who authored God's plans from the beginning of time. But the main intention is to claim inspiration by God for Isaiah, who foretold these things by the Spirit of God.

The Speaker cannot be the Prophet Isaiah. The words spoken in this passage can only belong to someone Who is Himself Yahweh, as He Speaks in the first and not third Person

When it is Isaiah who is speaking on behalf of the Lord, it is usual for him to use the words, "thus saith the Lord", which is not the case in this passage

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Speaker cannot be the Prophet Isaiah. The words spoken in this passage can only belong to someone Who is Himself Yahweh, as He Speaks in the first and not third Person

When it is Isaiah who is speaking on behalf of the Lord, it is usual for him to use the words, "thus saith the Lord", which is not the case in this passage
I'm not sure I follow? Are you saying that the prophet cannot give a prophecy in which he refers to himself in the 1st person? I should think it's pretty normal for a prophet, in speaking on behalf of the Lord, to also introduce himself in his work?

I've seen this on a number of occasions. For example, Jeremiah refers to himself in his collection of prophecies. Well, probably most of the prophetic books refer to the prophets themselves in the first person. Here's another one in Isaiah....

Isa 8.18 Here am I, and the children the Lord has given me. We are signs and symbols in Israel from the Lord Almighty, who dwells on Mount Zion.

What is most common, as I see it, is that the various prophets and saints given in the Bible are used by the Holy Spirit to give people a glimpse into Christ, who is superior to them all. It is an act of supreme kindness and grace for God to allow men to depict His Son in all of His beauty and majesty.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The speaker is the Pre incarnate Messiah, Jesus Christ.
A good number of Christians would think so, yes. But there are commentators who believe as I do, as well. In fact, I rely upon those very commentators to confirm my own position, that when a prophet refers to himself he is indeed referring to himself.

To introduce the Messiah, when he is not even in the context, would be an absurdity. In this particular passage, the context may be ambivalent to some.

So I respect your position, and would at least agree that there is Messianic significance in the words used. As I indicated in the quote, these people and words were signs and portents of the Messiah to come. Whether the words directly signify the Messiah is a matter of your own opinion.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A good number of Christians would think so, yes. But there are commentators who believe as I do, as well. In fact, I rely upon those very commentators to confirm my own position, that when a prophet refers to himself he is indeed referring to himself.

To introduce the Messiah, when he is not even in the context, would be an absurdity. In this particular passage, the context may be ambivalent to some.

So I respect your position, and would at least agree that there is Messianic significance in the words used. As I indicated in the quote, these people and words were signs and portents of the Messiah to come. Whether the words directly signify the Messiah is a matter of your own opinion.

Notice the last line. It is the Trinity. It has to be Jesus.

Come near to Me, hear this:
I have not spoken in secret from the beginning;
From the time that it was, I was there.
And now the Lord God and His Spirit
Have sent Me
.”

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Notice the last line. It is the Trinity. It has to be Jesus.

Come near to Me, hear this:

I have not spoken in secret from the beginning;

From the time that it was, I was there.

And now the Lord God and His Spirit

Have sent Me.”

It's unfortunate that translators decided to capitalize "Me." That is not the inspired original wording.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure I follow? Are you saying that the prophet cannot give a prophecy in which he refers to himself in the 1st person? I should think it's pretty normal for a prophet, in speaking on behalf of the Lord, to also introduce himself in his work?

I've seen this on a number of occasions. For example, Jeremiah refers to himself in his collection of prophecies. Well, probably most of the prophetic books refer to the prophets themselves in the first person. Here's another one in Isaiah....

Isa 8.18 Here am I, and the children the Lord has given me. We are signs and symbols in Israel from the Lord Almighty, who dwells on Mount Zion.

What is most common, as I see it, is that the various prophets and saints given in the Bible are used by the Holy Spirit to give people a glimpse into Christ, who is superior to them all. Is it an act of supreme kindness and grace for God to allow men to depict His Son in all of His beauty and majesty.

The words spoken in chapter 48 of Isaiah till verse 16, are those by One Who is The Creator, and knows all things, and Who was Sent by Another Who is Yahweh the Lord, Who also sent His Spirit

It is clear from the Bible, that the Prophet Isaiah never speaks of himself as the Creator, nor one who knows all things. Nor as been sent with the Holy Spirit. This is no doubt Jesus Christ.

Read the language very carefully. I am well aware of those who cannot accept that it is Jesus Christ, because they cannot accept that He is Yahweh, and coequal with the Father.

As I have said, read chapter 2 of Zechariah, verses 6-12, and there also you will see that the Speaker is Yahweh, Who says that Another Person, Who is also Yahweh, is Sending Him. This is NOT the Prophet Zechariah, nor is it Isaiah in that account

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The words spoken in chapter 48 of Isaiah till verse 16, are those by One Who is The Creator, and knows all things, and Who was Sent by Another Who is Yahweh the Lord, Who also sent His Spirit

It is clear from the Bible, that the Prophet Isaiah never speaks of himself as the Creator, nor one who knows all things. Nor as been sent with the Holy Spirit. This is no doubt Jesus Christ.

Read the language very carefully. I am well aware of those who cannot accept that it is Jesus Christ, because they cannot accept that He is Yahweh, and coequal with the Father.

As I have said, read chapter 2 of Zechariah, verses 6-12, and there also you will see that the Speaker is Yahweh, Who says that Another Person, Who is also Yahweh, is Sending Him. This is NOT the Prophet Zechariah, nor is it Isaiah in that account
That's a gross over-generalization. *Some,* who reject Jesus as God, would certainly reject this as a prophecy of a divine Messiah. But most definitely the commentators I rely on believe that Jesus is Divine--they just think the context speaks of both God and Isaiah.

These commentators have read, well, this passage--easily as much as you have. It is a difference of opinion. To me, the context requires that Isaiah be speaking of himself. As a prophet, Isaiah also speaks as if he is God. He is channeling God's Word, and so seems to be Divine. But he is actually just speaking for God by Divine inspiration. He also speaks of himself by Divine inspiration, assuring His readers that He is giving a prophetic Word from God.

Isa 48.16 And now the Sovereign Lord has sent me,
endowed with his Spirit.
17 This is what the Lord says—
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go.

It may get somewhat confusing because the way the prophet channels God's word through him renders it almost indistinguishable between what God is saying and what the prophet is saying. So when the prophet says, "I am the Lord your God," it is the prophet speaking but he is *not* saying he is God. Rather, he is channeling God's voice through himself to say, "I am your God."

Clearly, Christ had not yet come, even though the passage is saying that he had already come. Isaiah had come--Christ had not yet come. So you might think this is a literary device designed to predict something future as if it had already happened. That is a legitimate literary device used in prophetic literature.

But there are also examples in which God speaks through the prophet about Himself, and then, by the same Spirit, allows the prophet to speak of himself. It is up to us to decide how it is to be taken.

Again, I respect your position, and have held to it myself. I just happen to think otherwise at the moment, knowing that it doesn't really reflect on my own position on the Trinity.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Isa 48.16 And now the Sovereign Lord has sent me,
endowed with his Spirit

This is NOT even represented by what the Hebrew actually says!

Anyone can translate as they like, according to their warped heresies!

The Hebrew, Greek OT, and Latin Vulgate, read:

“ועתה אדני יהוה שׁלחני ורוחו׃” (Hebrew)

"καὶ νῦν κύριος ἀπέσταλκέν με καὶ τὸ πνεῦμα αὐτοῦ" (LXX)

"et nunc Dominus Deus misit me cum spiritu suo" (Latin Vulgate)

There is NO word in either language for "endowed" or "with"!

It is ONLY because of your theology, that you would choose this heretical reading!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't much matter whether if it was Jesus speaking or Isaiah speaking the words of Jesus. The bible is about Jesus. Without Jesus there is no salvation and no church, because without Jesus there is no church.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't much matter whether if it was Jesus speaking or Isaiah speaking the words of Jesus. The bible is about Jesus. Without Jesus there is no salvation and no church, because without Jesus there is no church.

it does matter, because this passage clearly Teaches that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, as the Father is, and that the Multi-Personal God is in the Old Testament, and not a Christian invention, as some assume!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it does matter, because this passage clearly Teaches that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, as the Father is, and that the Multi-Personal God is in the Old Testament, and not a Christian invention, as some assume!
Of course Jesus is God. He is Jehovah. He was at the burning bush. I am, that I am. Which means I was, I am, I will be. Jesus is the same Yesterday, today, and Forever. Rev. 4:8 - Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty, Who was, and Is, and evermore shall be.
There is no salvation without Jesus.

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The speaker is Isaiah. However, the parts that are in quotations are Almighty God's words. Isaiah, filled with Holy Spirit, was inspired and directed to repeat/quote God's words.-Isaiah 48:16b, 17.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The speaker is Isaiah. However, the parts that are in quotations are Almighty God's words. Isaiah, filled with Holy Spirit, was inspired and directed to repeat/quote God's words.-Isaiah 48:16b, 17.

It is very clear that the words in verse 16 is Yahweh. As are the words in the verses before. None are Isaiah