SONGS THAT DIRECTLY PRAISE GOD.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are lots of lovely Christian songs that we listen to on CD or sing in Church meetings but not all of them give direct praise, worship or thanksgiving to God.

Some of them are prayers; like Abide with me.
Some of them speak of God but not directly to him; like How great the Father's love for us.
And some are scriptures set to music; like Seek ye first the kingdom of God.

And I sure you can think of many others but can you think of any that directly praise, thank or worship him; like How great thou art or Thank you Jesus? Think carefully.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry Mayflower, lovely song but this does not address God directly. I'm trying to get people to think of songs that speak directly to God - like great is your faithfulness. Using you and your instead of he and his. It's harder than it seems.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry Mayflower, lovely song but this does not address God directly. I'm trying to get people to think of songs that speak directly to God - like great is your faithfulness. Using you and your instead of he and his. It's harder than it seems.

Ohhhhh okay got you

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ohhhhh okay got you
I bet you're thinking hard now, I know I have been all morning. It ain't that easy. A few years ago I read a book called 'the power of praise and worship'. The guy who wrote it was a worship leader and God told him to get rid of anything in his repertoire that wasn't direct praise, worship or thanksgiving. He found when he did and started to only use those songs, that mighty things started to happen. I was thinking about that this morning so that's why I started the thread.

The Power of Praise and Worship eBook: Law, Terry, Gilbert, Jim: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Reactions: marks and Mayflower

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Best thing to do with these more contemporary songs are to make them your own. "Holy, Holy, Holy are You God Almighty." Just a couple words here and there turns it to a prayer of praise. :)
That's what I do - change the pronouns.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, it's a lovely song but more a prayer than anything.
Okay...so you're not looking for prayer songs that speak directly to God although they use the words "You." Correct?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay...so you're not looking for prayer songs that speak directly to God although they use the words "You." Correct?
I'm looking for praise, worship or thanksgiving songs. As I said to Mayflower earlier the thought came to me because of a book I read called 'the Power of Praise and Worship' by Terry Law. There are some lovely songs but so many these days are prayers rather than praise and I think we need to get back to praise. In a church meeting I think the emphasis should be on praise and worship. But are you like me @TLHKAJ and finding hard to find them?