SONGS THAT DIRECTLY PRAISE GOD.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
There are lots of lovely Christian songs that we listen to on CD or sing in Church meetings but not all of them give direct praise, worship or thanksgiving to God.

Some of them are prayers; like Abide with me.
Some of them speak of God but not directly to him; like How great the Father's love for us.
And some are scriptures set to music; like Seek ye first the kingdom of God.

And I sure you can think of many others but can you think of any that directly praise, thank or worship him; like How great thou art or Thank you Jesus? Think carefully.
I spent a number of years as a member of a few different worship teams and was able to observe the work of His Spirit through our ministry. The old hymnals often included appendices classifying songs as songs of worship, songs of praise, songs of testimony, etc. Contemporary Christian music tends to focus more on personal testimony and praise, though some artists are still producing Christ centered music (eg : I think that the Revelation song is an awesome worship song.)
It's true, God inhabits the praise of His people, but much of our modern music is so generic that it could be played in a Synagogue and cause no offense. One time while driving home and listening to Christian music on the radio I decided to count the number of times that I heard the name Jesus in the various songs. On an hour long drive, I heard His name lifted once, but I'm pretty sure that I heard the personal pronouns used dozens of times. There's "me" centered Christian music and "God" centered Christian music. The "me" centered seems most common and least powerful. I think that has something to do with becoming "lovers of self" and narcissism seems quite common in our age.

Reactions: Mayflower

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We sang this simple song at the end of every worship service at the church where I was baptized as an adult. The lyrics are simple, but I always found it rapturous.
The simple songs are often the best. Probably the most worshipful thing I can say to the Lord is, "Thank You."

Reactions: michaelvpardo

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Music to glorify out Father and his Son from the tundra country of Russia.....it's not the denomination that counted or the language, or the complexity of the music. It's the music that get to the heart and warms it all over. Classic simple music suited for the hills and countryside...

Russian Christians in Remote Village Sing Beautiful Rendition of American Appalachian Song 'Christ is Risen' (Video)
This article from our archives was first published on RI in June 2020
Fr. Joseph Gleason (Russian Faith) Thu, Jan 20 2022 | 120 words 8,742 Comments

MORE: CHRISTIANITY FROM THE ARCHIVES

It may sound like the 1800s in the Appalachian mountains of America, but it's much more recent (2020), and in an unexpected location.

A few hours north of Moscow, less than an hour west of Rostov the Great, the tiny village of Davydovo has a group of Russian Orthodox singers who are embracing traditional, American, 19th century Appalachian melodies:

This Russian love for traditional Appalachian music has not been limited to remote Russian villages. It is also being sung in more highly populated areas.

In the Moscow region, these talented singers — inside a beautiful Orthodox Church — recently recorded a lovely rendition of the same song:

"Christ is risen from the dead,
trampling down death by death,
and upon those in the tombs
bestowing life!"

davydovo_russia_-_christ_is_risen_appalachian.png

Source: Russian Faith

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are lots of lovely Christian songs that we listen to on CD or sing in Church meetings but not all of them give direct praise, worship or thanksgiving to God.

Some of them are prayers; like Abide with me.
Some of them speak of God but not directly to him; like How great the Father's love for us.
And some are scriptures set to music; like Seek ye first the kingdom of God.

And I sure you can think of many others but can you think of any that directly praise, thank or worship him; like How great thou art or Thank you Jesus? Think carefully.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, my FAVE!!! Gives me chills when played somewhat loud so as to really hear the beautiful choir in the background.
Sorry Pat, I got carried away and put up some with "I's", "me's" and "my's" in there...

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, my FAVE!!! Gives me chills when played somewhat loud so as to really hear the beautiful choir in the background.
Nancy, ditto for me on your last two posts....uplifting and of true and precious hope for us in the future...

Reactions: Nancy