• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Well how can our spirit give us life when it is dead?

The spirit in an unbeliever isn't dead.

Its separated from the LIFE of God, and that is spiritual death.
Its how the Bible explains the fact of a person's spirit that is not connected to God's Spirit.

A.) "God is A Spirit".

So, this is 1st death... its the situation that occurred when Adam's spirit lost spiritual union with God.
That is "spiritual death",.. its not the ceasing of the spirit, its the separation of Adam's spirit from God, who is "A Spirit".

If this is never resolved then the person dies and that spiritual separation from God becomes : "2nd Death"...= Eternal separation from God.

See, its not eternal separation, until you die, never having been BORN AGAIN.

Jesus came to restore us to spiritual union with God.

When we are BORN AGAIN..... that is our spirit being birthed into the Spirit of God, by God's Holy Spirit.

This is to become "a new Creation" "IN Christ"... "ONE with God".. who is "A Spirit.""

Reactions: rwb

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Its how the Bible explains the fact of a person's spirit that is not connected to God's Spirit.
Yes, then in comes the Holy Spirit at baptism and brings our spirit alive in his...we’ve received that connection back to God.

Where Adam had severed that connection when he sinned, therefore it was passed down to us.

God withdrew his presence from within him, when they both sinned...that’s how they then knew they were naked...lost that precious fellowship with God.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MY understanding is that we are a spirit living in a body and we have a soul.

YOU disagree.

But my belief can be backed up with what is said in the bible in the four corners of the Holy Bible in 1 Thessalonians 5:23.

YOU still disagree.

No, I don't disagree with this, except to say we became a living soul. And as long as we have the breath of life, which is spirit, we will always be a living soul. Whether in body or out of body, when our spirit is alive in human flesh, or a living spiritual body without form in heaven, we are "living souls."

I never said , nor did Paul... and YOU are the only person... that I have ever heard suggest that mankind could even be thought to be a created a spirit.

Man was not created a spirit! Man was created with a physical body from the dust of the earth, and his body was alive through the breath of life (spirit) breathed into him by God. Then the body with spirit became a living soul. That is exactly what the creation account tells us.

The spirit that gives the breath of life to our body of flesh returns to God when our body gives up life. The spirit will either return to God alive through the Holy Spirit, or the spirit will return to God without life.

WE know... specifically that mankind was not created a spirit...............
How do we know this.?

I don't think this nor have I ever said man was created a spirit! We know this because we have physical flesh that is NOT spirit. The spirit that gives life to our physical body cannot be seen, it is without form.

So, the spirit was breathed into man upon his body being birthed... or perhaps upon his body being conceived.... I have no opinion... (DO NOT got to the soul on this) Repeat... The spirit was breathed into mankind it was given....

EXACTLY! I've been arguing this point exhaustively! The spirit breath of life God breathed into man's physical body so that what God created would become a "living soul."

What do you believe God meant when He said in Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” It was Jeremiah's spirit.

I'm inclined to say, "knock, knock, is anyone home"? LOL The spirit in Jeremiah with his body of flesh had to become a "living soul" for him to have physical life on this earth. God made Jeremiah to become a living soul when he was physically born by breathing into him the breath of life (spirit).

Spirits cannot die. God is a spirit. Angelic beings are spirits... Yes, even Lucifer with his imbecilic thought processes.... and those that God had/has in heaven. (It is my opinion that those of use who make it to our heavenly eternal existence will be reunited with our spirits once we get our new glorified bodies.

By jolly I think you're getting it! The spirit given to mankind will return to God either alive through the Holy Spirit to be reunited with immortal & incorruptible resurrected body, OR the spirit of mankind without the Holy Spirit will return to God without the Holy Spirit. How the spirit of the DEAD or those who die without Christ's Spirit is preserved by God I do not know. But I know that all who are in the graves will be bodily resurrected in an hour coming when the last trumpet sounds. Those who died in Christ resurrected to immortal life, and those who died without Christ resurrected to damnation. That means the spirit of the DEAD that returned to God without the Holy Spirit in them must give physical life to their body so they can be judged according to what is written in the books and the book of life.

But the soul is separate.

Separate from what?

But his soul is not yet destroyed with the body.

Without a breath of life (spirit), whether physical life or spiritual life, there is no living soul. What makes a living breathing creature a living soul is BEING ALIVE.

NO! NO! NO! A thousand times NO!

And I am loath to start this one because at the moment I have no time.... BUT think about where Jesus went
during those 3 days .....

He went to sheol.... NO... not to the pits of hell but go back and reread the story of Lazarus and the Rich man.

One of them... Lazarus ... was in a different part of Sheol. It was called upper Sheol or Abrahams bosom or what everyone has understood... Paradise.

PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DO NOT GET INTO Paradise is up in heaven..... At one time upper Sheol was referred to as Paradise....

I agree! Jesus went to that part of the grave reserved for faithful saints who lived and died waiting for the promised Messiah to come and rescue them from the grave. (1 Pet 3:19) In the parable we learn that the place for the DEAD (faithless) was simply called the grave. But the place for the faithful saints, dying before Christ came and defeated sin and death by His cross and resurrection was called Abrahams bosom. These two were separated by a great chasm that could not be crossed. I don't believe Abraham's bosom was in heaven because no one could ascend to heaven before Christ came and made a way for them to go there. Don't know that Sheol was ever referred to as Paradise? But I do know that paradise is in heaven (2 Cor 12:4 & Rev 2:7).

And this is where I believe the human souls.... our third part... abide until judgement. After which God will determine if both body and soul are destroyed as is said in

Matthew 10:28

“Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Can a spirit die. NO!!!!!!!!!!! But the soul can be destroyed.

The body through the spirit in them gives mankind physical life. And this life is called a "living soul." When life goes out of our body when the spirit returns to God how can a soul without the spirit have life? Since the body returns to dust, and the spirit returns to God, the only way that man will continue to be a living soul is through the life of his spirit. The spirit will only have life IF before death he/she was born again of the Holy Spirit of Christ. Because it is only through the Holy Spirit that man may have ETERNAL spiritual life. Without the Spirit of Christ giving our spirit life after it departs from our dead body, the Bible says we are DEAD and in silence and darkness.

You believe what you believe because you do not accept that Christ plainly tells us that He created man with a body and breathed the breath of life (spirit) into him, and man became a living soul. Not three part, but two parts with life, called living souls.

Our body and our soul have their own specific functions; only our spirit has the ability to contact God. We can see this from numerous verses, including John 4:24:

“God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

In order to contact—or worship—God, who is Spirit, we must use our spirit.

What happens to the spirits when God destroys a body and Soul. I have no idea but we know all spirits go back to God who gave them on death..... Ecclesiastes 2:24

We have no need to know or it would have been told us. And we are not to question God.

Perhaps those spirits not reunited with the glorified bodies will turn into another magnificent creature of out heavenly father...... IDK and IDC

Natural mankind cannot know or enter the Kingdom of God. (Jo 3) The only way in which mankind can know and be in relationship with God is through the Spirit of Christ in us. That's why John writes "Ye must be born again." It is through Christ's Spirit in us that worship God in spirit and truth.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well how can our spirit give us life when it is dead?

It cannot! For this reason we must be born again! It takes the Spirit of Christ in our spirit when we are born again to both know and enter the spiritual Kingdom of God. (JO 3)

The spirit that gives mankind physical life came by the breath of God at creation. Since the fall man is born spiritually dead in trespasses and sins, not physically dead. The earth, created to be our home is for physical life. But heaven is a spiritual place that shall be our home when our body dies and our spirit ascends to heaven alive through the Spirit of Christ in us, and flesh (mortal & corruptible) and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Separate from what?

YOU are a spirit. YOU live in a body. You have a soul. SEPARATE FROM EACH OTHER.

Your spirit is your inmost part and is the inner organ, possessing God-consciousness, that you may contact God (John 4:24; Rom. 1:9).”

The human spirit is the deepest part of a person. By means of this innermost part, we can contact God in the spiritual realm. No other creature was created by God with this third part.

Your soul is your very self (cf. Matt. 16:26; Luke 9:25), a medium between your spirit and your body, possessing self-consciousness, that you may have your personality.”

Our soul is our personality, who we are. With our soul we think, reason, consider, remember, and wonder. We experience emotions like happiness, love, sorrow, anger, relief, and compassion. And we’re able to resolve, choose, and make decisions.

Two entirely different purposes.

Your body as your external part is the outer organ, possessing world-consciousness, that you may contact the material world. Your body contains the soul, and the soul is the vessel that contains your spirit.”

Our body exists in and contacts the tangible things of the material world using our five physical senses. The body is the visible, external part of our being, and it contains the soul. Our soul is the vessel containing our spirit.
Without a breath of life (spirit), whether physical life or spiritual life, there is no living soul. What makes a living breathing creature a living soul is BEING ALIVE.

That matters not once the body dies and the human spirit returns to God and the human soul does not die.

What part of the 3 parts of man do you think will face judgement.

Does " Matt 10:28 mean anything to you?

“Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Either
The soul that is back with God will reunite once the human is judged and either gets a new glorified body and the spirit with body and soul are reunited in that new glorified body

OR

The soul that is back with God will stay with God if God destroys both the body and soul in hell.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incorrect.
The soul is the mind.
Soul= mind, will, and emotions.
The mind is renewed or reprogrammed by the word of God.
Then where is our spirit do you think?

I am basing what I believe first on 1 Thess. 5:23, then Galatians 5:17 and Romans 7:25

Last edited:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOU are a spirit. YOU live in a body. You have a soul. SEPARATE FROM EACH OTHER.

Every living breathing creature still possessing physical life is called a "living soul."

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every living breathing creature still possessing physical life is called a "living soul."
But not every living breathing creature has a spirit. That is unique to man and without that your eternity would not have needed Jesus' she blood

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But not every living breathing creature has a soul. That is unique to man and without that your eternity would not have needed Jesus' she blood
Why did Jesus have to come down to Earth?

Why did he have to die?

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did Jesus have to come down to Earth?

Why did he have to die?
First, I cut these sentences because it is too long

Got Questions phrased this question...

What did it mean that Satan wanted to be like the Most High in Isaiah 14:14?​

And gave the answer, in part...
While these verses are talking about the king of Babylon, many interpreters, including some early church fathers, saw a secondary reference to Satan’s fall from heaven (Luke 10:18; this view is the basis for John Milton’s famous confrontation between Satan and God in Paradise Lost). In this interpretation, “I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High” also represents Satan’s ambition to overthrow God. Assuming a secondary reference to Satan in Isaiah 14:14, why was it a sin for Satan to want to be like God?

In the context of Isaiah 14, being “like the Most High” does not mean “being like God in character or attitude.” Isaiah 14:12–15 is talking about an attempted coup, a desire to surpass God. Verses 13–14 are laden with ancient Near Eastern images of divine dominance and power, including stars, mountains, and clouds. The speaker wants to be like God in power and authority. He wants to wield ultimate cosmic power, even over God Himself. Simply put, he would like to be God, ruling the universe with unopposed might.

A desire to be like the Most High in holiness and righteousness is not evil but is encouraged by the Scriptures (Ephesians 5:1–2). But a craving to have God’s power and authority is evil, stemming from the depths of depravity (Proverbs 16:5). God is incomparably great (Psalm 145:3), so it is irrational to attempt to surpass Him. He alone is God, so it is irrational to attempt to be God. The only reason a creature would want to become its Creator is due to a warped, prideful sense of self-importance. Selfishness, envy, and pride drive rebellion against the perfect Creator. It is a sin for Satan to attempt to be “like the Most High” in glory and power because it is a pointless attempt fueled by selfish ambition and pride.

When was Satan kicked out of heaven?

Before or After Genesis?​

If we assume that angels (including Satan) were part of the creation of Genesis 1:1, then their fall (including Satan’s) follows that point. However, it may be that angels were created prior to the creation of the heavens and the earth. In either case, angels (including Satan) were present when God “laid the foundation of the earth” and “set its measurements” (Job 38:4, 5), for it was then that the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy (Job 38:7). This involved all the angels rejoicing with God. Satan and his angels fell, then, sometime after the original creation of the heavens and the earth.

It is certain that Satan had fallen before Genesis 3 where the temptation of Adam and Eve is recorded. He fell before man fell; but whether he fell before or after man’s creation, we cannot say for certain. (ANGELS ELECT AND EVIL, by C. Fred Dickason, p. 135)

I cut my thoughts berceuse of length

Now did God need a hobby? Were we an ant farm for His pleasure? WHY.

Again we are told by Got Questions
go to the link for the complete commentary Why did Jesus have to die? | GotQuestions.org

The short answer to the question “why did God create us?” is “for His pleasure.” Revelation 4:11 says, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” Colossians 1:16 reiterates the point: “All things were created by him and for him.” Being created for God’s pleasure does not mean humanity was made to entertain God or provide Him with amusement. God is a creative Being, and it gives Him pleasure to create. God is a personal Being, and it gives Him pleasure to have other beings He can have a genuine relationship with.
6 sentences cut for length

REMEMBER when Jesus said in Mathew 15: 24 But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Why DO YOU think that was so? He came only for Israel's lost sheep? WHY

You dont need my thoughts... they are too long

Romans 10 expreses it perfectly

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 [f]that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, [g]resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, [h]resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be [i]put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Cut again... more then 10000 words

From Got Questions again....
Why did Jesus have to die? — The promise required an innocent death.
Part of this is cut for length
God Himself provided the only sacrifice (Jesus) who could atone for the sins of His people. God’s perfect Son fulfilled God’s perfect requirement of God’s perfect law. It is perfectly brilliant in its simplicity. “God made Him (Christ), who knew no sin, to be sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Why did Jesus have to die? — The prophets foretold Jesus’ death.

From Adam to Jesus, God sent prophets to mankind, warning them of sin’s punishment and foretelling the coming Messiah. One prophet, Isaiah, described Him:

Why did Jesus have to die? Remember, the holy God cannot let sin go unpunished. To bear our own sins would be to suffer God’s judgment in the flames of hell. Praise God, He kept His promise to send and sacrifice the perfect Lamb to bear the sins of those who trust in Him. Jesus had to die because He is the only one who can pay the penalty for our sins.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But not every living breathing creature has a spirit. That is unique to man and without that your eternity would not have needed Jesus' she blood

What do you imagine having a spirit means? It is the spirit (breath of life) that gives physical life to flesh. Everything upon the earth with the breath of life (spirit) died in the flood because they all drowned when the breath of life (spirit) was taken from their bodies of flesh.

Genesis 7:21-23 (KJV) And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you imagine having a spirit means? It is the spirit (breath of life) that gives physical life to flesh. Everything upon the earth with the breath of life (spirit) died in the flood because they all drowned when the breath of life (spirit) was taken from their bodies of flesh.

Genesis 7:21-23 (KJV) And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.
IT GIVES US THE SBILITY TO COMMUNICATE WITH GOD........ That is what I think.

Part of being made in the image of God also means having a bit of His character. God is Spirit, so people have spirits. The Bible asserts, “But it is the spirit in man, the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand” (Job 32:8). The spirit of a person was put in them so they could connect with God and be like Him. Just as part of God’s character is Spirit, people have spirit that endows on them the image of God.

What Is a Spirit?

When considering what it is that makes a human made in the image of God, the idea that God gave man a spirit – and defining that – is key. Everyone has a mind that allows them to think and reason. The heart helps people feel and connect.

The Greek word for soul is psyche, which can also be translated as personality. The soul is the unique character traits attached to the part of the spirit in a specific body, mind, and heart. The Greek word for the spirit, pneuma, translates roughly to breath; it is the living essence that connects the body, heart, and mind, and will return to God when a Christian dies. The spirit is that which is eternal in a person. In fact, when Jesus died on the cross, “Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, ‘Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!’ And having said this he breathed his last” (Luke 23:46). He committed His eternal spirit, which continued to exist, even though His body stopped functioning. At the resurrection, His spirit and body reunited.

The body will die, but the spirit will continue into the next life, either in Heaven or Hell. Christians believe the spirit and the body will be reunited one day, made perfect to live forever with God. The Bible asserts the spirit helps people know God is real, and that when someone becomes a Christian, testifies to being a child of God.
You can ask me 1000 times and I will always say it allows us to communicate with God.....

Anything else will be a copy and paste because others can express it far better then I

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the spirit is back with God, (Ecclesiastes 12:7 then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.)

Do YOU really think God keeps dead things around him? Maybe having them taxidermied and put in his car so he can drive in the HOV lanes ?
Well the lost do not go to heaven and souls are immortal. The spirit of the lost is dead in trespasses and sins.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A.) "God is A Spirit".

So, this is 1st death... its the situation that occurred when Adam's spirit lost spiritual union with God.
That is "spiritual death",.. its not the ceasing of the spirit, its the separation of Adam's spirit from God, who is "A Spirit".

If this is never resolved then the person dies and that spiritual separation from God becomes : "2nd Death"...= Eternal separation from God.

See, its not eternal separation, until you die, never having been BORN AGAIN.

Jesus came to restore us to spiritual union with God.

When we are BORN AGAIN..... that is our spirit being birthed into the Spirit of God, by God's Holy Spirit.

This is to become "a new Creation" "IN Christ"... "ONE with God".. who is "A Spirit.""
Well you can allegorize sripture all you wish, but dead is dead and the lost are spiritually dead. They have a dead spirit for they have no capability of fellowshipping with God who is Spirit.

Something in the lost is dead. You seek to reinterpret it to mean something God could have written plainly if what He meant is what you say.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An animal imo, must only have a soul, because an animal isn’t Born Again is it?

Therefore will not be in the Kingdom of God.....

It does say in God’s word that only a Born Again will see the Kingdom of God.

I have a body, which houses the Holy Spirit.....I’m still confused about my soul, God says we are to love him with our heart ,mind and soul.....help me understand this @Behold ?

Mark 12:30
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
I believe the real explanation is that the human being is a soul, a living being. That being has a body, i.e., flesh,, and a spirit. All other animals are souls, living beings. They have a body, i.e.,flesh; they do not have spirits. In both the OT and the NT, when speaking of the human being, spirit and soul are used almost always interchangeably. You can consider that to be always the situation except where both are mentioned in the same sentence. Thus, for example, in the NASB there are only five such cases in the entire Bible where both soul and spirit are in reference to the same person. It is of interest to note that in each of those five cases, there is very little consensus among the commentarians about how to interpret the difference between the two.

Reactions: rwb

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the real explanation is that the human being is a soul, a living being. That being has a body, i.e., flesh,, and a spirit. All other animals are souls, living beings. They have a body, i.e.,flesh; they do not have spirits. In both the OT and the NT, when speaking of the human being, spirit and soul are used almost always interchangeably. You can consider that to be always the situation except where both are mentioned in the same sentence. Thus, for example, in the NASB there are only five such cases in the entire Bible where both soul and spirit are in reference to the same person. It is of interest to note that in each of those five cases, there is very little consensus among the commentarians about how to interpret the difference between the two.
Good point.

Question.... If you were going to explain why a person is a spirit, or has one (depending on your view) could you explain why and what the importance would be?

IOW, we have been told it is our spirits who communicate with God, who is spirit.

An animal out in the field, or in our beds has no need to communicate with God.

One of the televangelists that many here would not walk across the street to see said that while animals
are not "saved" or in heaven... he believed that once we die and are... if we want our animals there with us
God will make it happen.

In his vision of judgment upon the wicked, the apostle John tells us that Jesus is returning on a white horse:

That certainly should mean that animals are in heaven, if only to serve a purpose.... NOOOOO please don't go all allegorical and vision exceptions on this one.......

I would bet a dollar against a donut that not one person here believes in any of the recantings of alleged near death or out of body experiences..... there for I am certain that no one here either read the book or watched the movie about Colton Burpo.... the young child of a minister who lost his church when things came out...

If you are at all curious about what it ws about here is a link to the plot summary of the story.

Yes, I know who is here that will not watch.... so don't bother to message me. Keep you head in the sand.

I digress.

Anyway... when Colton was in heaven, and the angels were singing, he saw horses .

So back to my original question... If you were going to explain why a person is a spirit, or has one (depending on your view) could you explain why and what the importance would be? Or why it is necessary to have a spirit, or be one ( depending on your view?)

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So back to my original question... If you were going to explain why a person is a spirit, or has one (depending on your view) could you explain why and what the importance would be? Or why it is necessary to have a spirit, or be one ( depending on your view?)

I didn't read JBO say a person is a spirit. I agree with what he has said #338. Mankind, along with every living breathing creature on the earth is a "living soul." That means we all have bodies of flesh with and a spirit within that gives our physical flesh & bone body life, called living souls. It is through our spirit that we are able to commune with God THROUGH His Holy Spirit in us when we are born again of His Spirit. When we physically die in Christ, human beings are still called "living souls", because our spirit leaves our dead body and ascends to heaven with LIFE through His Spirit in us. That's why there is such confusion between having a spirit and being a living soul.