Sound Doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Nowhere in scripture does it say that water baptism is a "public confession of your newfound faith in Jesus". If I have overlooked it please quote it for me. "
What I actually said was "And as for water baptism, I liken that to a public confession of your newfound faith in Jesus Christ and the water is symbolic of washing away the "old man" of sin, and rising from the water a "new man". So, in other words "IMO".

"The "public confession" belief began AFTER the reformation. It is a recent teaching of men."

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Romans 10:9
Doesn't seem too recent to me. And gee, what happens if someone dies within 20 minutes after accepting Jesus and repenting of their sins, and they never made it to water baptism? What about the thief on the cross? My belief is that baptism is not prerequisite to being saved or forgiven of one’s sins, and it is possible for persons who have not been baptized to be saved.

"Since you want to throw out the part of scripture that says that getting baptized is a remission of you sins does that mean you are also throwing out that you will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost???"

I have not "thrown out" any scripture. We receive the Holy Spirit through Jesus, period. And, if you are looking for a nasty back and forth here, you got the wrong gal. I will not stoop to that. I am just as entitled as you to believe how I believe. When and if God teaches me differently, my heart wide open to HIS teaching, not mans.
Good day.
Everyone has an "opinion"....There is only one TRUTH: Baptism saves you (1 Pet. 3:21). Nothing there about a public confession which does not support your opinion.

Scripture says we receive the Holy Spirit thru baptism (Acts 2:38) which is opposite of your opinion.

Not looking for a "nasty back and forth". I am Just repeating scripture ;)

Wouldn't the teaching of yourself be a teaching of man (woman in this case)?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this is the *one truth*, then that repentant thief on the cross did not stand a chance, and neither did any OT saint.
Context: the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect.

If you put the conversation in context you would understand what I was talking about. :)

If you need help, let me know.

Mary

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth needs no opinion to defend it.
We cannot generate truth, only opinions on truth
Therefore, asserting opinions on either side of the coin is vanity

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes Helen, agreed but, you and I never say it is absolute truth if we are stating an opinion. ♥

Very true Nancy.
I must say it does irritate me when people say..."Yes, this is the truth because the bible says so. " They can never see that it is still how THEY interpret the verse.... :rolleyes:
To me it is just arrogance.
I like posting to people who are willing to say " As I see it"...or "This is what I believe"...or IMHO...
But arrogance with scriptures when they say- " there is no other interpretation...I am right."
Then I don't want to discuss with them it is a waste of time.
And, as you know, neither do I like- " give me bible proof"... :rolleyes:

Oh well, it seems to be the way on forums :D

B

brakelite

It would be nice to know how H2O can wash away sins.
On its own, it doesn't. But mixed with the following...
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Reactions: Acolyte and farouk

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen.
Some either have eyes to see it...or , obviously, some do not... :(

maybe it has to do with the 3 blind men who were given sight by our Lord. Two rushed off to tell everyone they could see, but only one came back and remained. And if you pair that with the one of the man who was given sight in two stages, first faint and blurry, then full sight as he spoke with our Lord and He touched the man again, you can't believe it took Him 2 tries to get the healing right, so...what does it mean for us?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true Nancy.
I must say it does irritate me when people say..."Yes, this is the truth because the bible says so. " They can never see that it is still how THEY interpret the verse.... :rolleyes:
To me it is just arrogance.
I like posting to people who are willing to say " As I see it"...or "This is what I believe"...or IMHO...
But arrogance with scriptures when they say- " there is no other interpretation...I am right."
Then I don't want to discuss with them it is a waste of time.
And, as you know, neither do I like- " give me bible proof"... :rolleyes:

Oh well, it seems to be the way on forums :D
Yes it does seem to be the way. I guess that "ignore button" is there for a reason, only used it once, so it would have to be pretty bad for me to do that. I say the Holy Spirit deals with each of us in different ways and reveals to us what WE need to know at any given time. Amen!

B

brakelite

I must say it does irritate me when people say..."Yes, this is the truth because the bible says so. " They can never see that it is still how THEY interpret the verse...
If you agree with them, then it must be truth. If you disagree with them, then it's their interpretation.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen
B

brakelite

“The Bible is the supreme, infallible revelation of God to all men in all nations, and for all time. By this book all theories, teachings, and doctrines are to be tried. By it all men's characters are to be weighed, and their destiny decided. Next to the gift of Christ to redeem the human race, the Bible, God's holy word, is God's best gift to instruct and guide mankind through the journey of life. Theories, whether of religion, science, or morals, that plainly contradict this divine Book are false. They are not of God. They must, therefore, be rejected.”
“Yet the fact that God has revealed His will to men through His word, has not rendered needless the continued presence and guiding of the Holy Spirit. On the contrary, the Spirit was promised by our Saviour, to open the word to His servants, to illuminate and apply its teachings. And since it was the Spirit of God that inspired the Bible, it is impossible that the teaching of the Spirit should ever be contrary to that of the word.”
“The Spirit was not given -- nor can it ever be bestowed -- to supersede the Bible; for the Scriptures explicitly state that the word of God is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. Says the apostle John, "Believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1. And Isaiah declares, "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20.”

Reactions: Acolyte

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you agree with them, then it must be truth. If you disagree with them, then it's their interpretation.
No, I think Helen, Nancy and I are alike in that. We don't claim we have the only truth... but that we have the part of the truth God intends for us to have at this particular time.

Last edited:
B

brakelite

I disagree. We all have whatever truth we are willing to accept. Our own pride... Unbelief... Prejudices... Are roadblocks to understanding. None of us have all the truth God desires for us. He sent his spirit that we may understand all truth as revealed in the scripture, but only those who study... Who are willing to mine... And have a love for truth... Will ever come to a knowledge of it. Nevertheless, the potential for great understanding and knowledge remains available to all... And we all have the means to grow... Of we are willing.

Reactions: Acolyte

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"what is currently true may shortly be false"
...or at least insufficient.

The truth can indeed be known. Jesus said..you will know the truth...and not...you will know SOME of the truth or...you will know A truth.

That's how I see the denoms...the pillar and ground of a truth....but not the truth.

Knowing the truth allows you to see things according to the Spirit. It allows you to properly discern the Body. It allows you freedom over sin and the world.

Of course all believers know something of the truth. But that is insufficient. We need to seek the Lord for the whole revelation of Christ. If a person tries to explain the truth...it just sounds like another opinion...and a far-fetched one at that.

So then let each person seek the Lord until they find. Then we will have a unity based in Spirit and in truth.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Jesus said..you will know the truth
what if the truth is that you cannot know the truth? At least not well enough to chisel it in stone for application to every eventuality?
But even in the moment we generally recognize that there is more than one way to skin a cat right
Knowing the truth allows you to see things according to the Spirit.
ah well i would have put that diff wadr, but you might be speaking from a diff tense and i'm just misinterpreting too, dunno

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
what if the truth is that you cannot know the truth? At least not well enough to chisel it in stone for application to every eventuality?
But even in the moment we generally recognize that there is more than one way to skin a cat right

We are to be led by the Spirit. So then the truth is not a static thing...

A doctrine is not enough...but the truth is.

The truth is a living connection to God by abiding in Christ through the Spirit. The truth is to know Jesus and walk as He walked. This is accomplished by the divine gift called grace.