Special gifts in the churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brett

May 25, 2007
Hello, I was wondering what people here thought on the gifts which were written of in the Bible's New Testament. A lot of people claim to have them today. What do you think?

jodycour

Jun 4, 2007
Natchitoches, La
I personally believe in the five fold ministry gifts that Jesus established in the church in Ephesians, and Galatians.The Apostle,Prophet,Evangelist,Pastor,and Teacher!I also believe that the 5fold ministry gifts should all be part of the local body to beable to have a healthy functioning church.That's why so many churches don't function properly because the Pastor thinks that he is suppose to do it all, and instead he is just walking in fear!There fore he stays stressed out and frustrated and doesn't know who to trust and the whole body suffers from it.This is the main reason why people leave churches, because they are not being trained by all of the 5fold ministry gifts.Bro.Jody

ElBob

Jun 4, 2007
(Brett;11268)
Hello, I was wondering what people here thought on the gifts which were written of in the Bible's New Testament. A lot of people claim to have them today. What do you think?
I agree more or less with brother Jody. Churches are not exercising these gifts and are suffering because of it. Churches are not functioning as a body (an organism), but as an organization, complete with CEO (pastor) and board of directors (deacons and/or elders). It seems that many are very much concerned about the bottom line (numbers) and not so much concern about the work of the ministry.The gift of the apostle and profit were foundational to the early church, Christ of course being the corner stone. Now, with the completion of God's revelation - the Bible, evangelists and pastor/teachers should be equipping the saints for the work of the ministry, which is the carrying out of the Great Commission. I feel that God gives these gifts to each church, and not just to the body as a whole.I hope this helps.

Brett

May 25, 2007
Good points made. How do you guys feel about people claiming to speak in tongues, slain in the spirit and so on?I personally have problems with those who claim to do so. Especially slain in the spirit because I cant find it in the Bible where whole congregations are asked to come to the front and all hit the deck after a hand is waved in front of them.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
There are so many churches in the world who are teaching false teachings such as rapture, the actual sin in the garden and the earth and heaven ages, yet they claim to be Holy Spirit filled and led.... It seems to me that if the Holy Spirit was in such abundance that He would teach the truth in the scriptures first and formost, rather than making confusion . It also seems to me that tongues are used to "prove" one is a spiritually blessed person.... God says in the Word that if you keep His conmmandments, He will bless you..... He will give you the rain, both in the early and the later time of season, which if you are a farmer is a sure bet for richness....this confusion of tongues, what good does it do anyone? not anyone knows what is said, unless there is some interpretaion, which rarly happens..I have had experience in many churches and mostly have seen this attention grabbing foolishness in almost every case... Not in all mind you, but in most.I have lived a life led by the Holy Spirit for years now.... It has led me to live a life that aligns more closly to the scripture.... and as I do the benefits of blessing are made so plain, that its clear to the world that there is a "difference" in the lives of my son and my self, whch is the household .... The greatest benefit that I can see in having a Spirit filled existance is the leading and teaching He does in regard to the scriptures.... I have been so blessed in the Word, having both time and greater understanding of it... being held in awe by the beauty of it, the mastery of time and the amazing conciseness of the prophets . The fullness of the Word in helping us attain true wisdom and blessing in directly related to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit... Until the churches become more than the temples of false doctrine and Nicolationism... the false spirit they are claiming to be the Holy Spirit will continue to mislead them into falsehood and foolishness.

jodycour

Jun 4, 2007
Natchitoches, La
I Corth.14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.Many people quote and talk about the scriptures that say that unknown tongues don't do any good but they seem to forget that the scriptures do talk about unknown tongues building up your spirit man.I was born again in 1982 in a Church of Christ and they taught very strongly against this. But I had friends that were cocaine addicts that were changed so radically by this radiant power that I wish that I had. I searched the scripture for years and came to the conclusion that the Holy Ghost was the Comforter that Jesus promised me that He would come to live in me with the Father. I attempted to get this gift from God for a long time in many pentecostal meetings. I did'nt get it! One day I was really frustrated and I prayed to God and I told him that I would literally get in my closet on my knees and would stay there until He would give me this gift that He promised me in His Word! I fell asleep on my knees and did'nt recieve anything but frustration. About a year or so later I was in the Army stationed in Berlin Germany. I attended a Church of God there in Berlin that was a Spirit led Church. One day the Pastor called me to the front and told me that God had told him that He would fill me with the Holy Ghost today. I went up there thinking, yeah right I've been down this road before. But I was obediant and went up to the front anyway. He anointed his hand and placed his hand on my fore head. My knees got really weak and I felt this power come all over me and the next thing I know I laying on the floor. I remember thinking, get up you idiot you look stupid just lying here on the floor. But I physically could not move. Something was holding me to the floor. Then my tongue felt really odd, an I began to stammer in my speech and I just began to talk in words I did not understand. But it did change my life forever and I tell you to this day I still enjoy the infilling of the HolyGhost regularly.I honestly would never want to live another day with out this Holy Comforter!

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
(betchevy;11330)
There are so many churches in the world who are teaching false teachings such as rapture, the actual sin in the garden and the earth and heaven ages, yet they claim to be Holy Spirit filled and led.... It seems to me that if the Holy Spirit was in such abundance that He would teach the truth in the scriptures first and formost, rather than making confusion . It also seems to me that tongues are used to "prove" one is a spiritually blessed person.... God says in the Word that if you keep His conmmandments, He will bless you..... He will give you the rain, both in the early and the later time of season, which if you are a farmer is a sure bet for richness....this confusion of tongues, what good does it do anyone? not anyone knows what is said, unless there is some interpretaion, which rarly happens..I have had experience in many churches and mostly have seen this attention grabbing foolishness in almost every case... Not in all mind you, but in most.I have lived a life led by the Holy Spirit for years now.... It has led me to live a life that aligns more closly to the scripture.... and as I do the benefits of blessing are made so plain, that its clear to the world that there is a "difference" in the lives of my son and my self, whch is the household .... The greatest benefit that I can see in having a Spirit filled existance is the leading and teaching He does in regard to the scriptures.... I have been so blessed in the Word, having both time and greater understanding of it... being held in awe by the beauty of it, the mastery of time and the amazing conciseness of the prophets . The fullness of the Word in helping us attain true wisdom and blessing in directly related to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit... Until the churches become more than the temples of false doctrine and Nicolationism... the false spirit they are claiming to be the Holy Spirit will continue to mislead them into falsehood and foolishness.
I say, Ahmen good chap. :cool: Such radical breaks from biblically based Christianity, lead to such things as the belief in "Angel dust", which is going around now.As for the fivefold ministry; sure, that system can work, but unless you can back it up soundly clearly and hermeneutically, don't put other churches down. If a church under persecution in China doesn't have a fivefold ministry in place, but rather a five-member ministry, can it not grow? If there is one thing about God that his Holy Spirit has taught us throughout history, it's that he is quite a cunning fellow.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Acts 2:1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them. 5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? (meaning they all spoke the same language)Acts 2:8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?" Now where does it say they spoke in some gobbly gook language that no one understands ? It says the gift of tongues was that each heard the gospel in there own language if you were Greek you heard Greek if you were Jew you heard Hebrew. Now imagine yourself going to preach to a group in China when you only spoke English and when you went to preach the audience heard you in perfect Chinese even though it seemed to you you were speaking English.That would truly be the gift of tongues. It happened in Acts and will only happen again when the elect are called up to testify before antichrist.Now I can believe many people use sounds to put themselves into a state ofmeditation/prayer and may verbalize this,it may even bring about a state of euphoria or make them feel more in touch with the spirit. But it is not the gift of tongues spoken of in Acts unless everyone understands it in their own language.

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
Exactly, the Gift of tongues is of God, and the 'babbling' has been used as a religious ritual way before Christianity. It's actually a meditative state of mind.See this link; http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Klda0-6FSUAnd for Gold Dust, see;http://www.extremeprophetic.com/videoplay....FromHevHIGH.wmvhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WYDsnSeCVw http://www.apologeticsindex.org/d04.htmlhttp://www.ctlibrary.com/2310http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...12;&version=31;{Sorry for the excessive amount of links.}

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
To speak to an unknown tongue (language) is NOT an "heavenly language" as people ought to have. It is not of God. It IS of the Devil himself. It's PURE nonsense. It is gibberish. Where in the Word of God tells us to speak this gibberish that doesn't exist in our world? You can NOT.Lovest ye in Christ Jesus (Yahushua) our Lord and Saviour.

jodycour

Jun 4, 2007
Natchitoches, La
I Corinthians 14:4Tells us alot about unknown tongues.It tells us that unknown tongues edifies us and builds us up!Also it tells us that it is better that we prophecy unless we interpret!Unknown tongues is our prayer language when we don't know what to pray for! It also builds up your spirit man!God does do what he did at pentecost, I've heard of many people having testamony of this very thing happening to them.This actually happened to me!I had stopped attending this particular pentecostal church for several years and began attending a Word Church. I had grown my beard back and this is a no no in certain denominations!One day I felt really impressed to visit this church.Before I went I remember asking God not to compel me to Prophecy in an unknown tongue, because they would'nt recieve it coming from me and there would probably be no interpretation!Sure enough during the service God compelled me very strongly to Prophecy in an unknown tongue. I held back as long as I could. Afterwards sure enough no one interpreted. I was so upset with God for making me do this!A couple of weeks later, I was visiting a friend and a pentecostal girl from that church came by to visit, my friend introduced us. She said, I know you, you came to our church a while back and Prophecied in an unknown tongue!My father had'nt been to church for years and was backslidden. He worked over seas alot in a Malation country. That day my father came to church for the first time in years. He said that when you spoke in unknown tongues you were speaking to him directly in the most perfect Malatian language that he had ever heard! You were incourageing him to return to God!Isn't that Amazing!I know that it Amazed Me!God still uses these gifts today!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
How convenient to pick and choose which verses we will take to convince ourselves of what we want. If you can prophesize and know the mysteries of God why is it you can believe Satans rapture lie? If men can not understand how did this person understand you? For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

RND

May 30, 2007
(jodycour;11407)
I Corinthians 14:4Tells us alot about unknown tongues.It tells us that unknown tongues edifies us and builds us up!
No, it tells us that he who speaks in a foreign language edifies himself.Verses 2 and 3 are helpful in understanding this:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. Specking in a foreign tongue that is not understood by anybody else edifies one person, not many.
Also it tells us that it is better that we prophecy unless we interpret!
This verse says "...for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying."In other words, the one that speaks in tongues is less than the one that prophesizes, except the interpreter. So the interpreter is just as important to the prophet as the prophet is to those that don't speak the same language.
Unknown tongues is our prayer language when we don't know what to pray for! It also builds up your spirit man!
That's called gibberish in my book.
Before I went I remember asking God not to compel me to Prophecy in an unknown tongue, because they would'nt recieve it coming from me and there would probably be no interpretation!

Sure enough during the service God compelled me very strongly to Prophecy in an unknown tongue. I held back as long as I could. Afterwards sure enough no one interpreted. I was so upset with God for making me do this!A couple of weeks later, I was visiting a friend and a pentecostal girl from that church came by to visit, my friend introduced us. She said, I know you, you came to our church a while back and Prophecied in an unknown tongue!My father had'nt been to church for years and was backslidden. He worked over seas alot in a Malation country. That day my father came to church for the first time in years. He said that when you spoke in unknown tongues you were speaking to him directly in the most perfect Malatian language that he had ever heard! You were incourageing him to return to God!Isn't that Amazing!I know that it Amazed Me!God still uses these gifts today!
That truly is an amazing story! What spirit was it that compelled the man to head to this church after years of backsliding? Anything you did? Of course not, it was God the father through the Holy Spirit! I praise God almighty and His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit for bringing this man back to church.As for the Perfect Malaisian language you mentioned this is from the official Malaysian tourism site:Language - IntroductionBahasa Melayu (official), English, Chinese dialects (Cantonese, Mandarin, Hokkien, Hakka, Hainan, Foochow), Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Panjabi, Thai; note - in addition, in East Malaysia several indigenous languages are spoken, the largest are Iban and KadazanAs a result of the different races gathered in this country, many different languages are spoken. Bahasa Melayu (the Malay language) is the predominant language but English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka, Tamil and Hindi are also widely spoken.Also peculiar to Malaysians is "Manglish" or Malaysian English - a curious combination of all the different languages spoken in Malaysia and English. One thing you must bring home from Malaysia is the knowledge of when to properly place the "lah".Which one of these "perfect languages" did you speak? Which one of these "perfect languages" did the man understand?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I would ask that you forgive my sarcasm in the above post My frustration sometimes gets the better of me.First lets understand there is a Holy Tongue it was spoken by all before the tower of Babel and its possible some may have a gift of speaking it. However it is only understood by God as stated in Cr 14:2Speaking in this tongue benefits only self as no one understands it.Cr 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. What does this mean? Prophecy is the greater gift. If God see's fit to interpret to someone what is being said in this Holy tongue it will be a prophecy to share with and benifit the church. CR.14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues(He would like it if all had this gift, but he would rather we have the gift of understanding it) but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. If you claim to be speaking the Holy tongue you better be using it for true prophecy to benefit the whole of the church. the fact one or two people claim to understand and might stop backsliding is to belittle this rare gift. Otherwise you are only benefiting yourself.CR.14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? Another words speaking in tongues is worthless unless it is interrupted so that all understand what is being revealed.(just as in Acts all understood)Cr.14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. You speak nothing but to the air unless God has granted you the gift of prophecy/revelation of this tongue.Now how do we discern a true prophet/prophecy? It will be 100% true and accurate. Just as the prophets in the Bible. So unless you can reveal what you are prophesising in this tongue and it is 100% true an accurate and benefits the entire church. It should only be spoken in prayer between you and God. As it edifies only self.We are back at my analogy of preaching to a Chinese audience in English where there is no understanding of whats being said there is no profit except to self(ego)

RND

May 30, 2007
GP kriss.Interesting how this type of study can lead to one being "tongue tied!"I remember when I was looking for a church a few years back I went to the church of a pastor I had sold several cars to over the years.Fairly modern 'pentecost' type church, though not specifically "pentecostal." Lots of chanting, amen's, praise the Lord's, singing, stompin feet and clappin' hands, loud music, drums etc. Pretty lively! Then I went back for "Bible study" on Tuesday. Lots of gibberish, babling, and talking to "people and spirits" that just weren't there. Nothing of the word, no Bible, but lots of "spirit and me."Needless to say I never went back.

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
1 Cor 14:32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets;
I think in the context this might mean that one can choose to keep silent in the service, and from another verse, one ought to so choose in various circumstances:
1 Cor 14:28 but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God.
Possibly, the following verse applies to the various statements in chapter 14:
1 Cor 14:37 If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
RND, I too recently had an experience similar to yours ... I have been intregued by the latest quantum physics theory called string theoryit is a scientific study of the smallest particles and its even smaller than elements or quarks but it does explain the fullness of quantum physics in a way that conforms to Biblical creation... it states that vibration of tiny strings as what everything is made of and created with... and we know that God spoke and Spirit moved... speach is vibration... and... it theory also says there are dimensions which exist in the same layer of existence as we do... as you all know this is the spiritual deminsion... and so...I had a friend who told me she had a cd of someone who taught form the word using these same principles.. I was so excited to recieve this... thinking I would hear from a minister these things edified, for I had only heard them from scientists.. and the only Bilblical overlay I had was my own... When I got the cd... I almost ran to the player and the guy pretty much explained what I have told you and then the parlor tricks began... he said he had been vibrating at so many ohms per second and he could feel these other entities and they were the pillars of the temple that Solomon built and if you put out your weakest arm in front of you , you could also feel these vibrations ( any weak limb will tremble after being held aloft due to the mucscles not spirits)... and these pillar were there for you to walk through and be healed... this was so far from the scriptures... and they began singing a song in a single key again and again... hypnotising those who are so susceptalbe to such things...I was so disappointed...to see the truth turned into a side show of "look how much more spiritual I am than you, lets all get hpynotised and show off for one another..." I used to pray with a woman who was so predjuced aginst Jews, which I am... she would even refuse to admit that Jesus' name was Yahshua... and she often "spoke in tongues" her speaking was the continual repetition of the words, YADA YADA YADA... over and over again.... as you may know this is the yiddish word for "stupid meaningless words that never end" I being much younger and trying to minister to teach this elder felt I should not explain to her what she was saying in her so called "holy language" but it did seem appropriate....I do love her and do think she loves God... but she is not honoring Him in any way by her "tongues"...

jodycour

Jun 4, 2007
Natchitoches, La
People who seem to have a problem with the unknown tongues that is refered to in the bible, usually, have never experienced this gift from God. That is why they tend to be very sceptical! I know that I was before it happen to me. Now I don't ever want to lose this precious gift from God!

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
That's what most people say who didn't bother the study it biblically before being drawn into that psychological state. Christian or Pagan.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(jodycour;11448)
People who seem to have a problem with the unknown tongues that is refered to in the bible, usually, have never experienced this gift from God. That is why they tend to be very sceptical! I know that I was before it happen to me. Now I don't ever want to lose this precious gift from God!
It is only people who know Gods word that have a problem. This is nothing but edifying of self(ego) as scripture says unless you also have the gift of prophesy /understanding that benifits the church body Cr. 14:4Cr.14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.