"Special Revelation" #&*@ -- Seriously??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I get accused again of my own "private interpretation"-- let's get one thing straight:

All revelations from God are "special."

Why is it that most seem to think that revelations must be delivered on a silver platter by the consensus of a learned group of peers? That's not biblical--not even! God even sent a donkey! The closest thing to what most expect would be by the mouth of two or three witnesses among the apostles or the early church fathers--of which Christ had "somewhat against" 5 out of 7. Even among them were disagreements.

Scripture on the other hand is not a product of the consensus of men and their teachings, but rather from among them only what is approved by the providence of God alone--no man or group of men [actually] have the last say.

As for "special revelations", they are not "private interpretations" (which no scripture is). "Private interpretation" means according to one's own understanding. Heaven forbid, that is the actual source of what is taught...and yet it commonly is the case. Many teachers, preachers, pastors, leaders, and even seminaries do exactly that. The hand-me-down teachings of men are made popular by the common lack of understanding known otherwise to be the best of learned minds among scholarly Christian men, by their own assumptions and conjecture are then published and made official...which have been corrupt from the beginning, as the anti-Christ spirit was "already at work" even then.

So, no, Christians cannot out vote what is true and what is not. Many have, and many continue to try--but it doesn't work that way. As a result, church history is full of heretics calling "Heretic!" against many who may very well have been speaking the truth. Just take the apostles--many of whom were persecuted and killed (as were the prophets of old) for telling the truth.

Meanwhile the history of the church and this age was to include (as foretold) "false teachers" bringing in "destructive doctrines" and lies causing "strong delusion"--making everything we have learned suspect... While at the same time, we were to received the revelation of "all truth" being lead by the Holy Spirit, which is to be "finished" before the sounding of the seventh angel. What does that even look like? It looks very much like the past when Israel carrying the water of the truth from God...killed the prophets, and marched on to eventually crucify their own Messiah sent to them.

In other words, as history will attest, Israel rejected "special revelations", just as the church has also.

What's the answer then? It is written, "test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world." But also expect that God has been and is doing just as He did in times of old. And how is that? Look it up--read it for yourself that you may be convinced! What was His method then? I tell you He "is the same" even now!

Last edited:

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I get accused again of my own "private interpretation"-- let's get one thing straight:

Why is it that most seem to think that revelations must be delivered on a silver platter by the consensus of a learned group of peers? That's not biblical--not even! God even sent a donkey! The closest thing to what most expect would be by the mouth of two or three witnesses among the apostles or the early church fathers--of which Christ had "somewhat against" 5 out of 7. Even among them were disagreements.

Scripture on the other hand is not a product of the consensus of men and their teachings, but rather from among them only what is approved by the providence of God alone--no man or group of men [actually] have the last say.

As for "special revelations", they are not "private interpretations" (which no scripture is). "Private interpretation" means according to one's own understanding. Heaven forbid, that is the actual source of what is taught...and yet it commonly is the case. Many teachers, preachers, pastors, leaders, and even seminaries do exactly that. The hand-me-down teachings of men are made popular by the common lack of understanding known otherwise to be the best of learned minds among scholarly Christian men, by their own assumptions and conjecture are then published and made official...which have been corrupt from the beginning, as the anti-Christ spirit was "already at work" even then.

So, no, Christians cannot out vote what is true and what is not. Many have, and many continue to try--but it doesn't work that way. As a result, church history is full of heretics calling "Heretic!" against many who may very well have been speaking the truth. Just take the apostles--many of whom were persecuted and killed (as were the prophets of old) for telling the truth.

Meanwhile the history of the church and this age was to include (as foretold) "false teachers" bringing in "destructive doctrines" and lies causing "strong delusion"--making everything we have learned suspect... While at the same time, we were to received the revelation of "all truth" being lead by the Holy Spirit, which is to be "finished" before the sounding of the seventh angel. What does that even look like? It looks very much like the past when Israel carrying the water of the truth from God...killed the prophets, and marched on to eventually crucify their own Messiah sent to them.

In other words, as history will attest, Israel rejected "special revelations", just as the church has also.

What's the answer then? It is written, "test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world." But also expect that God has been and is doing just as He did in times of old. And how is that? Look it up--read it for yourself that you may be convinced! What was His method then? I tell you He "is the same" even now!

If a revelation is truly from God then I agree. But people shouldn't accept a revelation just because someone says "God gave me a revelation." The spirits have to pass the smell test.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a revelation is truly from God then I agree. But people shouldn't accept a revelation just because someone says "God gave me a revelation." The spirits have to pass the smell test.

Describe your "smell test."

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is correct. But the point is not to take that so far as to categorically reject all, including those who may very well be sent by God for these times which were to be the finish of "all truth" from God.

Reactions: Earburner

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is correct. But the point is not to take that so far as to categorically reject all, including those who may very well be sent by God for these times which were to be the finish of "all truth" from God.

How do you differentiate Scott? "Everybody likes their own brand."

This is truth. You of course think that "your particular revelation" is from God. And folks who think otherwise, might well think the same of themselves, and less of you.

What's your measuring stick, and how do you use it?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you differentiate Scott? "Everybody likes their own brand."

This is truth. You of course think that "your particular revelation" is from God. And folks who think otherwise, might well think the same of themselves, and less of you.

I have already stated it:

"It is written, "test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world." But also expect that God has been and is doing just as He did in times of old. And how is that? Look it up--read it for yourself that you may be convinced! What was His method then? I tell you He "is the same" even now!"​

The method and the point is written as needing to be "spiritually discerned" as the written word is "foolishness to the natural man", but His sheep "hear His voice."

But think about it--we have been promised "all truth", and that "the mystery of God would be finished" only at the last, before the sounding of the seventh angel. Meanwhile, the church has long since fallen into the habit of shooting first, burring the dead, and calling anyone and everyone who does not tickle their ears and tell them they are correct (against what was foretold of the church), is called a heretic.

We have need to break from that cycle--to make straight the way of the Lord.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi ScottA,
Special revelations from God are an absolute, and are given to all born again Christians, who do seek to "worship God in Spirit and in truth". John 4:24.
All of such are able to discern the difference between "the wisdom of men and the power of God". 1 Cor. 2:5.

All others may be performing just the opposite, which is: "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 2 Tim. 3:5.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwb

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi ScottA,
Special revelations from God are an absolute, and are given to all born again Christians, who do seek to "worship God in truth and in Spirit".
All of such are able to discern the difference between "the wisdom of men and the power of God". 1 Cor. 2:5.

All others may be performing just the opposite, which is: "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 2 Tim. 3:5.

Many are the cautions. But because the timing of revelations resides with God, coming forth "here a little and there a little" unto the end, not all who have the Holy Spirit have all...until the last. Indeed, there remain many who are babes even in need of milk, and few that are mature (which one is not able to self-proclaim).

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hello Mr. E.

There will be no further Revelation

66 "The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ."28 Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

67 Throughout the ages, there have been so-called "private" revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to improve or complete Christ's definitive Revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of history. Guided by the Magisterium of the Church, the sensus fidelium knows how to discern and welcome in these revelations whatever constitutes an authentic call of Christ or his saints to the Church.

Christian faith cannot accept "revelations" that claim to surpass or correct the Revelation of which Christ is the fulfilment, as is the case in certain nonChristian religions and also in certain recent sects which base themselves on such "revelations".

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

No private revelation, however widely embraced is binding on the Faithful...

Pax et Bonum

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already stated it:

"It is written, "test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world." But also expect that God has been and is doing just as He did in times of old. And how is that? Look it up--read it for yourself that you may be convinced! What was His method then? I tell you He "is the same" even now!"​

The method and the point is written as needing to be "spiritually discerned" as the written word is "foolishness to the natural man", but His sheep "hear His voice."

But think about it--we have been promised "all truth", and that "the mystery of God would be finished" only at the last, before the sounding of the seventh angel. Meanwhile, the church has long since fallen into the habit of shooting first, burring the dead, and calling anyone and everyone who does not tickle their ears and tell them they are correct (against what was foretold of the church), is called a heretic.

We have need to break from that cycle--to make straight the way of the Lord.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough?

HOW do you test the spirits? What is your test? What is your process?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe I wasn't clear enough?

HOW do you test the spirits? What is your test? What is your process?

Oh, okay.

At the time of my salvation I cried out to God and He answered and caught me up in the spirit, then returned me and directed me to a bible which I read from cover to cover in a week or so barely stopping to eat or sleep, which confirmed both my spiritual experience and the bible. I then read the bible over and over from cover to cover until I lost count of how many times. He has opened my eyes, given me understanding, a mind to recall, and a mission. As for any test of what is true whether in spirit or otherwise--I step back, I yield, allow many to fumble, but most importantly, allowing Him to lead...after which I go boldly, not of my own, but by Him in me. So the test is not mine, but His.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, okay.

At the time of my salvation I cried out to God and He answered and caught me up in the spirit, then returned me and directed me to a bible which I read from cover to cover in a week or so barely stopping to eat or sleep, which confirmed both my spiritual experience and the bible. I then read the bible over and over from cover to cover until I lost count of how many times. He has opened my eyes, given me understanding, a mind to recall, and a mission. As for any test of what is true whether in spirit or otherwise--I step back, I yield, allow many to fumble, but most importantly, allowing Him to lead...after which I go boldly, not of my own, but by Him in me. So the test is not mine, but His.

Okay.... What is his test? What is his method? You say it's the same even now.... so what is it?

You seem evasive on the finer points.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay.... What is his test? What is his method? You say it's the same even now.... so what is it?

You seem evasive on the finer points.

Yeah right, me "evasive"--I answer...and you, not me...move the goal posts to redefine whatever it is that you are up to. Sounds like you are testing me. Fine. But where have we heard that before (rhetorical--It is written)?

But okay, God's test? Why it's all spiritual of course. God knows the hearts of all--but how does He know--how does He do anything? By the Spirit.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There will be no further Revelation

66 "The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ."28

Vs.
but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets.

Did the Catholic church have all the answers (meaning no more mysteries or need for revelations regarding God) once the 66 books of the Bible were entered into the Canon? No, they had not yet received every revelation from God--and it is the Bible/scripture that shows the above document from the Catechism of the Catholic Church to be wrong. No contest. Any would be authority is therefore null and void.

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Scott you deny a future, literal, visible, second coming of Jesus Christ in the heavens

Scott this is a basic foundational belief in the Christian faith, "The Blessed Hope", this is the very reason I personally don't take your claims seriously, just to mention one of the many

Matthew 24:29-31KJV
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott you deny a future, literal, visible, second coming of Jesus Christ in the heavens

Scott this is a basic foundational belief in the Christian faith, "The Blessed Hope", this is the very reason I personally don't take your claims seriously, just to mention one of the many

Matthew 24:29-31KJV
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

[Again] I will set the record straight:

I have NOT said I "deny a future, literal, visible, second coming of Jesus Christ in the heavens." You just don't understand what I did and do continue to say: that Jesus' second coming is only "future" for those to whom He comes in the future...which He also has done in the past for those to whom He came to in the past, which began "soon" after He said He would, and as Paul explained is, "but each one in his own order." But you live by the time standards and terms of this world, and therefore do not comprehend the timeless acts of God to fulfill His purpose according to His terms rather than the terms of this world.

So, no, the scriptures are correct, but you simply don't fully understand...and that "basic foundational belief in the Christian faith" of it all only being "future", is in error--"strong delusion", just as it was foretold to occur.

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah right, me "evasive"--I answer...and you, not me...move the goal posts to redefine whatever it is that you are up to. Sounds like you are testing me. Fine. But where have we heard that before (rhetorical--It is written)?

But okay, God's test? Why it's all spiritual of course. God knows the hearts of all--but how does He know--how does He do anything? By the Spirit.

I haven't moved the goalposts an inch. I'm still asking the same question because you still aren't able to answer it.

Let's review--

You- Test the spirits to see if they are from God.
Me- How?

You- They have to pass the smell test (correct)
Me- What is the smell test?

Me- How do you differentiate (between a spirit from God vs some other spirit)? What is your measuring stick?
You- I already said-- Test the spirits

Me- How do YOU do that? What is your test? What is your process?
You- The test isn't mine, it's His.

Me- Okay, what is His test? What is His method?
You- It's all spiritual. By the spirit.

Often times these threads spin out from other conversations that give them better context, but not knowing if that's the case here-- I'm simply asking a very practical question about your post where you tell people to test the spirits, but offer no instruction on how. It's a bit like telling children who never have, -to make a paper airplane.