Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as God whom is spirit is the "I am", spirit is. All power is of God in spirit. Conversely, all that is physical is not, is vanity, is nothing.

The physical creation, is media from God, revelation. That's all.

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as God whom is spirit is the "I am", spirit is. All power is of God in spirit. Conversely, all that is physical is not, is vanity, is nothing.

The physical creation, is media from God, revelation. That's all.

gnosticism.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what are you talking about? the Word of God came into this world via the Son of man. why would you say that God is real and imply He deals with what isn't real? maybe you should readjust your thinking on what is reality.
No, you have that backwards. That which is created is not real, but Him who created is real.

As for the Word [God] becoming flesh and dwelling among us [in the would-be reality of this world], He lowered Himself: He who knew no sin, became sin.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem here is that the modern definition of "substance" is "matter", which is not the spiritual definition. Indeed, "faith" has no matter, and yet has substance by God.

So, then, the better spiritual definition of substance, is "make up." What, then, is the "make up" of that which is "spirit", as God is spirit? The answer of which is...it is, or as God stated it of Himself, "I am."

Herein lies the definition of what is truly real, and what is not.

Conversely, by God's own definition of Himself...all that is not spirit...is not.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truther,

In the Greek New Testament, John 4:24 begins with the words, πνεῦμα ὁ θεός.... Since your pen name is Truther, would you please translate these 3 words for me so I can better understand the truth of your theology?

Many thanks,
Oz
It was translated 400 years ago for me.

Thanks anyway.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truther,

Would you please help me to understand your position regarding Jesus' deity? Are you saying that when Jesus was on earth he was not God, but was becoming God - after the resurrection?

Thanks,
Oz
Yes.

That is correct.

Except he was MADE God, not became God.

God fully indwelled him with ALL of His being, bodily.

This event upon Jesus' body made him God by default.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That makes your teaching that of an adoptionist/dynamic monarchian, which was declared a heresy in the 2nd century. Yours is a non-trinitarian view that should not be promoted on this forum.
Not at all.

Jesus was not adopted by God.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sobering verses on lying and error:
1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
@VictoryinJesus I find John's First Epistle so searching...

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[5] This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all...

This is actual light.

God can also appear in other forms, but God is actually light by definition.

are you going to stay on subject of the OP or are you are fishing for an argument? this isn't the debate section.

Reactions: Truther

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DP,

The OT speaks of the 'Spirit of the Lord' (Isa 61:1; Job 33:4) or the 'Spirit of God' (Gen 1:2). Thus, Spirit refers to the Holy Spirit. The word for 'Spirit' is the Hebrew, ruach -pneuma in the Greek NT.

When it is associated with the human spirit, it can mean:
  • The immaterial part of human beings that is interchangeable with 'soul'. It's the unseen part of us that is associated with, (a) a person's emotional state; (b) breath or wind.
I find it simplest to leave it as simply defined by the Scriptures:

Matt 10:28 (NIV): 'Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell’. No ‘spirit’ here'. So, the soul/spirit lives on while the body is killed. The soul/spirit is much more powerful than the body. However, on Jesus' return, Christians will have new bodies.

James 2:26 (ESV): ‘For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead’. This is clear that the spirit keeps the body going.

Eccl 12:7 (ESV): ‘And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it’.

"Spirit" represents something non-physical and normally invisible. We can conclude, except in the one case where "spirit," ruach, or pneuma describes a being that has revealed itself, that spirit is never seen. All that is ever seen is what spirit causes, motivates, inspires, encourages, impels, triggers, stirs, provokes, stimulates, influences, or activates. Why? Because in every other sense, except where spirit clearly means a spirit being who has revealed himself, spirit is seen as a function of the mind, whether it is God's mind, angel's mind, or man's mind (John D Ritenbaugh).​

Oz
yea well if one is born again then one's Life is Spirit, and since one is to do these things:

Rom_8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom_8:4  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom_8:5  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom_8:9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom_8:13  For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Gal_5:16  This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal_6:8  For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
Php_3:3  For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Col_2:5  For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

then one should know Spirit by experience rather then speculate and imagination by reading. the scriptures keep you well informed that the God one experiences is the same God or not. but no experience then all speculation without knowledge.

and for the record no one really has to give two poos what John D Ritenbaugh thinks.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You speak confusion.
those who pretend to be "spiritual" are there to persuade you to believe that spiritual is hooey, because they are full of it. and if you're buying then they get bucks for the deceit. does that help.

the goal of the enemy is to keep you from believing any way he can. the enemy knows what God looks like and can deceive anyone who entertains the lie about God or God related. so the skeptical defends himself by not believing anything at all. so he doesn't believe either. the enemy's got you coming and going. works pretty good doesn't it?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually no. That would be the wrong parallel to make, with God the Father who
"is A spirit"- KJV- John 4:24.

The fact of the matter is, by the words Jesus, is God the Father made known to us
John 1
[18] No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Col. 1[12] Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
[13] Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
[14] In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
[15] Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

> I tend to believe that the word "image" is not to be understood that Jesus is a replica, duplicate or carbon copy of what the Father looks like, but rather how Jesus was "brought forth" from out of God's thoughts of who Jesus is, in the Father.
Prov. 8[24] When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.[
25] Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:

Heb. 10[5] Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

I did quote God is a Spirit what is your problem? and what does that have to do with the subject at hand?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you have that backwards. That which is created is not real, but Him who created is real.

As for the Word [God] becoming flesh and dwelling among us [in the would-be reality of this world], He lowered Himself: He who knew no sin, became sin.

so the results of God's work are fake not real what drugs are you taking? God's work isn't fake its real. go back to the beginning of the bible and start over. you're saying God speaks and it really didn't happen, you are definitely posting on the wrong web site pal. go away you're nuts.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
one thing we must keep in mind, abstract and concrete are from our point of view. but please understand that we live in a created world, and not the real world, whom is God. for we have our being and movement in HIM. so God is more real than we, for all of this is nothing but a creation, a shadow of the REAL WORLD.

PICJAG.
Something like... Adam and Eve were real until they disobeyed God. God sent Jesus to make it possible for people us to become real again. What men have or are is a fiction or a delusion, but if and when they are reborn, [born again or born from above] Reality begins!

The difference in the scriptures, when correctly written and/or understood, might be expressed by spirit or Spirit! The corrupted spirit wants to be Spirit and may indeed believe that it is. What men call material reality would be the illusion or delusion sent by God because there is a lack of love for Truth, God being Truth!

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something like... Adam and Eve were real until they disobeyed God. God sent Jesus to make it possible for people us to become real again. What men have or are is a fiction or a delusion, but if and when he are reborn, [born again or born from above] Reality begins!

The difference in the scriptures, when correctly written and/or understood, might be expressed by spirit or Spirit! The corrupted spirit wants to be Spirit and may indeed believe that it is. What men call material reality would be the illusion or delusion sent by God because there is a lack of love for Truth, God being Truth!
AMEN 100%

PICJAG.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is the actual substances of spirit, we know God is a Spirit, Jesus says so. and I do believe scripture states that God is the Father of spirits.

but what is spirit and the substances thereof? and also, just how powerful is spirit in comparison to the physical part of creation? which is greater, bla bla bla.

I'm not sure Christians as a whole really understand just what spirit is.

Substance ? Substance is the physical properties of a thing. I do not believe that applies to Gods Spirit.

Isa 11:
[2] ...the spirit (power) of the LORD ...
of:
wisdom...
understanding...
counsel...
might...
knowledge...
fear of the LORD...

Glory to God,
Taken

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
curious then concerning ‘spiritual wickedness in high places’?
A curious thing indeed. As God says, "I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the Lord, do all these things." Some translations say, "I make peace and create evil."

The point is, there is no power except from God, from which all things are accomplished and fulfilled according to His purpose.

So, then, when we are told, and do read that, "we fight not against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalities in high places"...we take are stand with God, or against Him.