Spiritual gifts: Unconfusing them part 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just curious what does the bible say the gifts were for what was the purpose?

Mark 16:17ff
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

The answer is found in verse 20

Why did the word need to be confirmed??

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Who was this addressed to? Why was they to receive the power gifts? Following through does scripture say they did? If they did does scripture make it clear it was only them and not all of the 3000 saved?

Does not Acts 2:39 not say that the promise of the spirit through the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ was promised to all?

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A continuation of my previous post entitled "Spiritual gifts: Unconfusing them"

There is obvious confusion and lack of understanding in what is meant by the scripture "and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (Spirit)" as per Acts 2:38, versus the various miraculous spiritual gifts listed in 1 Cor 12:8-10.

Note that the "gift of the Holy Ghost" as cited in Acts 2:38, the word "gift" is singular, not plural. What this means within the context of that scripture is, all those baptized into Christ pursuant to that scripture, receive the GIFT of the Holy Ghost/Spirit itself, the actual indwelling of the Spirit, and NOT one of the miraculous spiritual gifts enabled by the Spirit, those listed in 1 Cor 12:8-10.

The miraculous gifts of the Spirit were imparted by the laying on of the apostle's hands as aforementioned in the first part of this study, as confirmed by specific passages within Acts 5, 6, 8, and 19, 2 Tim, as cited therein.
There are no gifts mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12:8-10. It tells you very clearing that what is listed in that section are not called gifts. They are the manifestations of the spirit.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no gifts mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12:8-10. It tells you very clearing that what is listed in that section are not called gifts. They are the manifestations of the spirit.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
Doesn't verses one and four call them gifts?
I agree that they are manifestations, but it is not wrong to call them gifts.

1 Corinthians 12:1 NIV
1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. ...
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.

/

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't verses one and four call them gifts?
I agree that they are manifestations, but it is not wrong to call them gifts.

1 Corinthians 12:1 NIV
1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. ...
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.

/

It is wrong because they are not gifts. Verse 1 through 6 is talking about gifts. Then it changes to something else. Clearly it says BUT the manifestation of the spirit and then list nine of them and they are all the operations of the spirit of Christ that each Christian has. Again verse 7 but the manifestation is given to every man. Why? Because these are the operations of the spirit. And the same spirit will give you the fruit of that spirit.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is wrong because they are not gifts. Verse 1 through 6 is talking about gifts. Then it changes to something else. Clearly it says BUT the manifestation of the spirit and then list nine of them and they are all the operations of the spirit of Christ that each Christian has. Again verse 7 but the manifestation is given to every man. Why? Because these are the operations of the spirit. And the same spirit will give you the fruit of that spirit.
At what point in the chapter does the Apostle finally get around to
informing the Corinthian church about the gifts referred to in verses one and four?
He said he didn't want them to be uninformed, right?

Perhaps the gifts and the manifestations are synonymous?

/

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
informing the Corinthian church about the gifts referred to in verses one and four?

/

You don't see the word "BUT" in verse 7?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/
Yes, the gifts of the Spirit is synonymous with manifestations of the Spirit. They are one in the same.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I can't say that I do. - LOL
Send help.

1 Corinthians 12:7 NIV
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.

/
This is a problem. We are reading out of two different Bibles.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost are one in the same and interchangeable which is why I stuck them together just in case the reader more commonly referred to one vs the other. Moot point.

And the Greek interlinear in Acts 2:38 says "the gift of the Holy Spirit". The gift of the Holy Spirit (Ghost) is clearly just that: the Spirit or Ghost, NOT gifts of it. Otherwise it would have said "a gift of the Holy Spirit/Ghost or 'gifts' of the Holy Spirit/Ghost, meaning, one or more of the manifestations of the Spirit/Ghost and not the indwelling of the Spirit/Ghost itself. There is a difference and that differentiation is made by the words "the" and "gift" as used in the text as opposed to the aforementioned.

Not if the gift in mind was the same gift of tongues that had been evidenced already.

Last edited:

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Manifestations of the Spirit are commonly referred to as "gifts" today. I simply used the common word, "gifts", but in reality, gifts of the Spirit and manifestations of the Spirit are one on the same

Then the English language is no longer a useful tool for communication. If apples mean grapes and water means spirit. They we can't talk to each other anymore. The devil wins.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Theories they are not. They are not gifts. They are what is the operation of the spirit. It's not that hard to know.
I agree with that. I think "gifts" is an unfortunate translation.
BUT... in the text in question "gifts" and manifestations are the same thing.

/

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with that. I think "gifts" is an unfortunate translation.
BUT... in the text in question "gifts" and manifestations are the same thing.

/

They are not the same. I could have a gift that you don't have if you're a Christian. However, every Christian has the spirit that produces fruit and operates stuff.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then the English language is no longer a useful tool for communication. If apples mean grapes and water means spirit. They we can't talk to each other anymore. The devil wins.
Except this isn't apples and oranges. Gifts mean manifestations although manifestations is the more correct term

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are not the same. I could have a gift that you don't have if you're a Christian. However, every Christian has the spirit that produces fruit and operates stuff.
The terms are used synonymous in first Corinthians.
Can you show us where Paul informs us about spiritual gifts in first Corinthians chapter twelve?
Verse one says he does not want us to be uniformed.

/

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please clarify or rewrite. I have no idea what you're trying to say

You were emphasizing 'gift' as opposed to 'gifts' arguing for that reason the verse is speaking of the Holy Spirit Himself as the gift, because otherwise it would have been written 'gifts'.

My contention is that it is written 'gift' and not 'gifts' because it was specifically speaking of the gift (one) of tongues that had already been witnessed. It was given them AFTER baptism of the Holy Spirit in them and manifested through the laying on of hands of the apostles.