Spiritual Warfare

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 40:2 KJV
Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.

What is the objective of our warfare?

Ephesians 6:10-13 KJV
10) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13) Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 KJV
3) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

With whom do we war?

Ephesians 6:12
12) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

James 4:1-2 KJV
1) From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
2) Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

1 Peter 2:11 KJV
11) Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

What are the methods of our warfare?

1 Timothy 1:18-19 KJV
18) This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
19) Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

Having,

Ephesians 6:14-18 KJV
14) Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

taking,

16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

and doing,

18) Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the King James, "we wrestle not with flesh and blood . . .", literally, "our wrestling is not . . ." The point is, it's not if, or when, but we are. It's happening. We are wrestling with spiritual wickedness and evil beings in another realm.

The lusts of our flesh are warring against our souls.

For me, the keys to the battle are faith, and God's Word. Always trust Jesus, believing all the things He's told us. And respond as Jesus responded, aligning ourselves with His Word, applying it to our circumstance, and doing what it says.

I think our opponents, the flesh, and the wicked ones, are overcome in this way.

What do you think?

I'd ask you to do as I've done just now, spend some time meditating on these passages, and others, there are others . . . and come and join me in a deep dive.

Much love!

Reactions: soul man and Wynona

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marks

I fear that, if you want to dig deep, you should first understand what Isaiah has recorded in 40:2 as I believe that it should be understood like this and not as it has been translated wrongly in our present English translations: -

Isaiah 40:1-2: - 40:1 "Comfort, yes, comfort My people!"

Says your God.

2 "Speak comfort to Jerusalem, and cry out to her,
That her warfare is ended/rebellion will end,
That her iniquity
is/will be pardoned;
For she has received from the Lord's hand
Double for all her sins.
"​

This is completely at odds with what follows in your post where you asked this question: -

"What is the objective of our warfare?"​

Does not the scriptures tell us that the Battle belongs to the Lord and that we should watch and pray.

Does not the scriptures tell us that we will overcome with the covering of the Blood of the Lamb.

I wonder if you have the understanding if you want to act God like and fight God's battles for Him?

Shalom

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.

What is the objective of our warfare?

Ephesians 6:10-13 KJV
10) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
13) Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 KJV
3) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

With whom do we war?

Ephesians 6:12

James 4:1-2 KJV
1) From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
2) Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

1 Peter 2:11 KJV
11) Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

What are the methods of our warfare?

1 Timothy 1:18-19 KJV
18) This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
19) Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

Having,

Ephesians 6:14-18 KJV
14) Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

taking,

16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

and doing,

18) Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the King James, "we wrestle not with flesh and blood . . .", literally, "our wrestling is not . . ." The point is, it's not if, or when, but we are. It's happening. We are wrestling with spiritual wickedness and evil beings in another realm.

The lusts of our flesh are warring against our souls.

For me, the keys to the battle are faith, and God's Word. Always trust Jesus, believing all the things He's told us. And respond as Jesus responded, aligning ourselves with His Word, applying it to our circumstance, and doing what it says.

I think our opponents, the flesh, and the wicked ones, are overcome in this way.

What do you think?

I'd ask you to do as I've done just now, spend some time meditating on these passages, and others, there are others . . . and come and join me in a deep dive.

Much love!
No more grovelling!.....we are declared as royalty.....will we think and behave like we are in the pig pen?

Reactions: marks

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree with the rest of your post about spiritual warfare..just this first verse doesn't seem applicable. Isaiah 40 is talking about (IMO), Armageddon, a physical warfare yet to take place. Verses 15 and 17 state the nations are like dust (who will all rise against Jerusalem) and He will destroy them. Also describes other aspects of the Great Tribulation -mountains being physically leveled ...

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree with the rest of your post about spiritual warfare..just this first verse doesn't seem applicable. Isaiah 40 is talking about (IMO), Armageddon, a physical warfare yet to take place. Verses 15 and 17 state the nations are like dust (who will all rise against Jerusalem) and He will destroy them. Also describes other aspects of the Great Tribulation -mountains being physically leveled. miuntains being leveled

I posted that passage because it struck me as showing the end of warfare, that being peace with God.

It appears to have thrown some others off. Perhaps I'll delete it.

The OT shows in the material what the NT teaches in the spiritual, much of the time.

Much love!

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno