Spoken Word and Written Word are the Same

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is your definition of an apostle? how is the church still being formed by apostles? what is an apostolic church? if the catholic church is the only true church then where is the power of God?

a thought just came to me. did you know that the jews were to be God's original church from the beginning but they lost their right to that promise and it transferred to the gentiles. the way you speak is almost exactly like the church leaders of the time of Christ. those church leaders were called hypocrites by Christ.

God bless

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why I am not religious.

Salvation is in Christ alone.

Salvation come from Christ but you have to receive it in the way he wants you to receive it not in your own way.

If he commands us to be batised for salvation then we have to be baptised for salvation.

When a non-Catholic told John Henry Newman, "After all we worship the same God," Newman replied, "Yes, you in your way, and I in His."

The big error started in the 16th century when “Reformers” broke away from Christ’s Church and started their own. They listened to the same lie that Satan whispered into Eve’s ear in the Garden of Eden – be your own god, you decide what’s right and wrong; you decide how you want to worship God. So they started their own churches, thousands of them, from the bigger congregations like Lutherans, Anglicans, Calvanists, Methodists, Baptists, Pentecostals, SDAs, Plymouth Brethren, Anabaptist, etc, (and all the sub divisions within them) to the one-off one pastor church.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Salvation come from Christ but you have to receive it in the way he wants you to receive it not in your own way.

If he commands us to be batised for salvation then we have to be baptised for salvation.

When a non-Catholic told John Henry Newman, "After all we worship the same God," Newman replied, "Yes, you in your way, and I in His."

The big error started in the 16th century when “Reformers” broke away from Christ’s Church and started their own. They listened to the same lie that Satan whispered into Eve’s ear in the Garden of Eden – be your own god, you decide what’s right and wrong; you decide how you want to worship God. So they started their own churches, thousands of them, from the bigger congregations like Lutherans, Anglicans, Calvanists, Methodists, Baptists, Pentecostals, SDAs, Plymouth Brethren, Anabaptist, etc, (and all the sub divisions within them) to the one-off one pastor church.

I beg to differ the only man I know that claims to be god in the flesh today is the pope, the vicar of christ
he thought the same 500 years ago as well

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I beg to differ the only man I know that claims to be god in the flesh today is the pope, the vicar of christ

The Pope doesn't claim to be God in the flesh

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Catholic Catholicism
The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful."[sup]402[/sup] "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered."[sup]403[/sup]

http://www.newadvent...then/15403b.htm
Vicar of Christ

(Latin Vicarius Christi).
A title of the pope implying his supreme and universal primacy, both of honour and of jurisdiction, over the Church of Christ. It is founded on the words of the Divine Shepherd to St. Peter: "Feed my lambs. . . . Feed my sheep" (John 21:16-17), by which He constituted the Prince of the Apostles guardian of His entire flock in His own place, thus making him His Vicar and fulfilling the promise made in Matthew 16:18-19.
In the course of the ages other vicarial designations have been used for the pope, as Vicar of St. Peter and even Vicar of the Apostolic See (Pope Gelasius, I, Ep. vi), but the title Vicar of Christ is more expressive of his supreme headship of the Church on earth, which he bears in virtue of the commission of Christ and with vicarial power derived from Him. Thus, Innocent III appeals for his power to remove bishops to the fact that he is Vicar of Christ (cap. "Inter corporalia", 2, "De trans. ep."). He also declares that Christ has given such power only to His Vicar Peter and his successors (cap. "Quanto", 3, ibid.), and states that it is the Roman Pontiff who is "the successor of Peter and the Vicar of Jesus Christ" (cap. "Licet", 4, ibid.). The title Vicar of God used for the pope by Nicholas III (c. "Fundamenta ejus", 17, "De elect.", in 6) is employed as an equivalent for Vicar of Christ.

Claiming equality with Christ isn't calling ones self a god?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Catholic Catholicism
The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful."[sup]402[/sup] "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered."[sup]403[/sup]

Vicar of Christ

A title of the pope implying his supreme and universal primacy, both of honour and of jurisdiction, over the Church of Christ. It is founded on the words of the Divine Shepherd to St. Peter: "Feed my lambs. . . . Feed my sheep" (John 21:16-17), by which He constituted the Prince of the Apostles guardian of His entire flock in His own place, thus making him His Vicar and fulfilling the promise made in Matthew 16:18-19.
In the course of the ages other vicarial designations have been used for the pope, as Vicar of St. Peter and even Vicar of the Apostolic See (Pope Gelasius, I, Ep. vi), but the title Vicar of Christ is more expressive of his supreme headship of the Church on earth, which he bears in virtue of the commission of Christ and with vicarial power derived from Him. Thus, Innocent III appeals for his power to remove bishops to the fact that he is Vicar of Christ (cap. "Inter corporalia", 2, "De trans. ep."). He also declares that Christ has given such power only to His Vicar Peter and his successors (cap. "Quanto", 3, ibid.), and states that it is the Roman Pontiff who is "the successor of Peter and the Vicar of Jesus Christ" (cap. "Licet", 4, ibid.). The title Vicar of God used for the pope by Nicholas III (c. "Fundamenta ejus", 17, "De elect.", in 6) is employed as an equivalent for Vicar of Christ.

Claiming equality with Christ isn't calling ones self a god?

It's not claiming equality with Christ

That would be ridiculous. The Pope is Christ's representative on earth.

From the Concise Oxford English DIctionary
vicar
noun
1 (in the Church of England) an incumbent of a parish where tithes formerly passed to a chapter or religious house or layman. Ø(in other Anglican Churches) a member of the clergy deputizing for another. Ø(in the Roman Catholic Church) a representative or deputy of a bishop. Ø(in the US Episcopal Church) a clergyman in charge of a chapel.

Thus an episocopal vicar is someone who is appointed by a bishop to be his representative or deputy.

The vicar of Christ is one who is appointed by Christ as his representative or deputy. Such a person is not equal to the person he represents or deputises for.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I posted the definition of the vicar of Christ right from the catholic encyclopedia.
Now your going to run from under your churches official statement and cling to the Oxford English DIctionary

ROTF LOL LOL LOL LOL

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I posted the definition of the vicar of Christ right from the catholic encyclopedia.
Now your going to run from under your churches official statement and cling to the Oxford English DIctionary

ROTF LOL LOL LOL LOL

You quoted an explanation of the role in terms of authority, and the scriptural support for that authority. I gave a definition of the actual word vicar which your quote didn't do.

In fact your quote support what I said
"......... with vicarial power derived from Him." That shows that anything the Pope does is done vicariously.

The Pope would not need power derived from Christ is he was equal to Christ.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Licet", 4, ibid.). The title Vicar of God used for the pope by Nicholas III (c. "Fundamenta ejus", 17, "De elect.", in 6) is employed as an equivalent for Vicar of Christ.

Is Christ not God.

And it says is used as an equivalent for Vicar of Christ.

So what is your problem?

Can you give me the source of that quotation?

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
Rex, excuse me for barging in on your misunderstanding of Catholic Teaching. Here is the real deal straight from a Catholic approved web-site.

Is the pope addressed as "Vicar of the Son of God" in the Donation of Constantine?

Share on twitterShare on emailShare on printShare on gmailShare on stumbleuponMore Sharing Services

Full Question
How can you claim "Vicar of the Son of God" isn't the official title of the pope? This is how the papacy is addressed in the Donation of Constantine--proof enough the Pope is the beast of Revelation 13.

Answer

The spurious Donation of Constantine does use the expression "Vicar of the Son of God," but only in passing, not as "the official title of the Pope," and it applies the title to Peter alone, not to his successors--that is, it's not used as a title for the popes in general and so is no title for them at all.
"Vicar of the Son of God" is employed by anti-Catholic writers in place of authentic titles such as "Vicar of Christ" or "Servant of the Servants of God" because it tallies up to 666--the number of the beast--and the others don't.
Answered by: Catholic Answers Staff

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My problem is you misrepresenting your church
I have provided and stated my source, try reading it

So back to your original statement I see your a lier as well
But we'll just call it a failure to properly represent your church out of ignorance.

You claimed

The Popes title is 'Vicar of Christ', which means Christ's representative and not his equal as I showed, and as the quote you gave showed.

You have completely failed to show that the Pope claims to tbe god in the flesh, or equal to Christ, so to mask your failure you start calling me a liar.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
This isn't my problem neo it's yours. I can read the catechism and I can read the catholic encyclopedia.
The question is who do you believe? what is written or what this catholic is saying. I notice you didn't open your mouth but simply used a proxie.
The confusion within your own church is only made know by your post and it's members statements as compared to it's official policy.

Before you went swearing yourself to the catholic church you should have read the fine print.

Have a nice day hopefully I won't be lead to reply to catholics again today.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't my problem neo it's yours. I can read the catechism and I can read the catholic encyclopedia.
The question is who do you believe? what is written or what this catholic is saying. I notice you didn't open your mouth but simply used a proxie.
The confusion within your own church is only made know by your post and it's members statements as compared to it's official policy.

I presume you are referring to me.

Please can you show where I have contradicted the Catechism?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
You claimed

The Popes title is 'Vicar of Christ', which means Christ's representative and not his equal as I showed, and as the quote you gave shoerd.

You have completely failed to show that the Pope claims to tbe god in the flesh, or equal to Christ, so to mask your failure you start calling me a liar.

Take it up with your pope and your churches official policy
I really don't have time to argue plain English, seeing that is you only harbor of refuge.

Vicar of Christ

I presume you are referring to me.

Please can you show where I have contradicted the Catechism?

You nit is said neo

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Before you went swearing yourself to the catholic church you should have read the fine print.

Have a nice day hopefully I won't be lead to reply to catholics again today.

Instead of admitting you wrong about the Pope's title, you mouth off about fine print (and I would like you to show me where it is) When you are proven wrong the mature thing to do is accept it and move on, not run away pouting.
you self-righteously declare you "won't be lead to reply to catholics today" which means one demolishment of your false claims is enough.

You need to look up "vicar" in the dictionary. You accept dictionary definitions don't you? Or are all dictionaries part of a massive Jesuit conspiracy?

This is what Rex conveniently left out of his quote from the encyclopedia:

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
And you catholics should practice what you preach as well as your reading skills.
I borrowed the following from kepha

Instead of admitting you wrong about the Pope's title, you mouth off about fine print (and I would like you to show me where it is)
you self-righteously declare you "won't be lead to reply to catholics today" which means one demolishment of your false claims is enough.