"Stand You Ground" Laws

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
We need a law that every one from now on has to be born the same color.

perferbly
a money green color.

Ths way No one can accuse or be accused do to color.

there will be Just as many deaths bt at least the accusings will be different.

Stand your ground laws .. ice bear and grizzlys love um. I personaly perfer Faster than u laws.
when it comes to guns or polor bears :)

John S said:
In the U.S., more than 20 states have what is known as "Stand Your Ground" Laws. These state that if you feel threatened, you can pull out your gun and shoot the person who is "threatening" you.
About a year or so ago, in one of those states, Florida, a white man, George Zimmerman, felt threatened by a black teenager named Treyvon Martin. They, apparently, got into a fight, so he shot and killed him.
A few days ago, Mr. Zimmerman was found innocent because the jury also felt that he had been threatened and acted in self-defense.
When done properly, as Mr. Zimmerman appears to have been able to do, "Stand Your Ground" Laws legalize murder.

In the U.S. we have politicians who are extremely fearful of an organization that uses its vast money and influence to get these laws passed and to make sure that simple common sense laws are not passed.Their concern is NOT the welfare of the American people but with making tons and tons of money. This organization is known as the National Rifle Association (NRA).

When 20 first-graders were killed in Connecticut, the response of this despicable antichristian organization was to have EVERY teacher armed. If it were up to them, EVERY American would be armed in school, at work, at church, at the playground, in the movie theaters - EVERYWHERE.

Sadly, far too many American CHRISTIANS feel that it is their God-given right to own and use guns - even though Jesus Christ NEVER owned or used a weapon.

Slowly but surely, the American people are saying enough is enough. Hopefully, I will live to see the day when this horrible organization loses its power and influence over America's politicians.

i think Mr zimmerman perfers to be thought of as a spanish person just like The pres likes to be thought of as a black fellow ..

yet of course all can be "sons of norway' if they pay their membership dues.. :)

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Rex - For the record - you were talking to James and NOT to me.

James - Jesus Christ did away with the Old Testament. We follow - or are supposed to follow - His words and examples. THAT is the very definition of Christianity.
If you want to follow the Old Testament laws, then don't call yourself a Christian. Call yourself Jewish.
Jesus chastised Peter for using his sword against the Roman soldier.
I could care less if you call me, or my opinions, inane. Using guns is antichristian. The NRA is an antichristian organization and this country would be MUCH better off without it here.

Slowly but surely, the people of this country are becoming fed up with all of this gun violence. Eventually, gun registration WILL be enacted. Eventually, limits will be put on how often a gun can shoot at one time. Eventually, politicians will become less afraid of the NRA. Eventually, the power of this ridiculous organization will be diminished.

How many more children will have to be kiled before this happens? We'll see.

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
I feel the right decision was made. Mr. Zimmerman was defending himself. I wish my neighborhood had a neighborhood watch program.
What really irks me is the liberal media which repeatedly showed a photo of the 17 year old from a few years earlier, when he was smaller and less threatening looking in appearance ( I heard one reporter say he was 14 in that now famous hoodie pic).There have been only two instances (and one of them was after the verdict) where I saw a recent photo of Treyvon Martin. And he was a rather large, muscular young man. Also, he has been painted as some kind of martyr. Whereas he had been suspended from school on 3 occasions for possession of drug paraphernalia, tagging (gang affiliation graffiti), and possession of tools the likes of which are used to break into school lockers. He was also portrayed as innocently out to buy some candy, when in actuality it was one of the ingredients to make some concoction in which to get high. Liberal media spin again.
If he was on top of me pounding my head into the cement, I would have done the exact same thing Mr. Zimmerman did. And that's without knowing his background.
Now the truth is out for those who want to see it (most don't). The younger, physically stronger man chose that lifestyle. He who lives by the sword......

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am surprised and glad that McCain is asking for a review of the stand your ground law.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
laid renard said:
He was also portrayed as innocently out to buy some candy, when in actuality it was one of the ingredients to make some concoction in which to get high.
Purple drank, lean... popular with the hip hop crowd... candy (Skittles) + soft drink (Arizona Iced Tea) + Robitussen cough syrup (codeine)... darling Tray's Facebook shows he was looking for codine (sic) and had done lean...

lean-1-e1337843654637.jpg

lean-2-e1337766657695.jpg

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does drug use justify death?

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Aspen - YES - I saw on the news today that the Senate is going to begin the process of looking into these "Stand Your Ground" laws. I don't know what, if anything, is going to happen but we'll see. It's a start.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
That's a rhetorically stupid question...
It also appears to be the point of your comment.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then tell me, what does his history of drug use have to do with his death?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree. I cannot think of a more concrete way of attempting to take your fate into your own hands

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen2 said:
I disagree. I cannot think of a more concrete way of attempting to take your fate into your own hands
Refusing to defend yourself is an act of de facto suicide. Jesus even took the time to make sure the apostles had at least 2 swords to protect themselves. 2 swords are only good for defense, not for an insurrection. To say that Jesus opposed self defense is to make the all too common error among liberal Christians of assuming that Jesus was somehow a different person than the God of the Old Testament; that he was a long haired, pot smoking hippie with flower power. It's absolutely ridiculous. We wouldn't even be having this discussion today if the Christian church didn't defend itself against the Moorish armies laying siege on the Vatican and held back at the gates of Vienna only by a desperate struggle. Apparently, according to you, we didn't have enough trust or faith. Nor did the Israelites who time and time again were called to arms to defend themselves. Nor did the Jews under the leadership of Esther who took up arms to stave off an arising massacre. Your position is so ridiculous it can be taken down by any number of different angles.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, you know what? I think your method of arguing is toxic. The gloves come off when you choose a side or form an opinion. Based on your language, and personal attacks towards Selene and me, I think I am better off looking for discussion elsewhere. Blessings.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
It is true that Jesus rebuked Peter for cutting off another man's ear with a sword, but Jesus did not rebuke Peter for having the sword in the first place.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the bottom line for me is: can I live with killing or maiming another person? Do I believe that I will change God's timing of my death if I had access to a gun? Is a deadly weapon going to give me more of an advantage than simply trying to de-esculate the situation with words?

I know one thing for sure - I could not justify using a deadly weapon against an unarmed person.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen2 said:
Yeah, you know what? I think your method of arguing is toxic. The gloves come off when you choose a side or form an opinion. Based on your language, and personal attacks towards Selene and me, I think I am better off looking for discussion elsewhere. Blessings.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm responding to your provocative position that anyone who takes up arms in self defense is lacking in faith. As one having to defend myself and my family with the use of arms, I might take opprobrium at that remark. Many others might also. Before you take things so personally, you might want to consider how you come across as well.

And Blessings to you too.
Dodo_David said:
It is true that Jesus rebuked Peter for cutting off another man's ear with a sword, but Jesus did not rebuke Peter for having the sword in the first place.
A point well made, especially since Jesus was not unaware this whole time that Peter was armed. In fact, the Bible makes clear that Jesus made sure the apostles had swords to defend themselves. And even a close examination of the "rebuke" leads to a different conclusion than what's popular. Those who live by the sword are soldiers with a soldier's fortunes or misfortunes. It isn't an indictment on being a soldier, just a sober reminder that soldiers are not endowed with special protection from the fate common to soldiers.

BLACK SHEEP

May 24, 2013
This Vale Of Tears said:
I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm responding to your provocative position that anyone who takes up arms in self defense is lacking in faith. As one having to defend myself and my family with the use of arms, I might take opprobrium at that remark. Many others might also. Before you take things so personally, you might want to consider how you come across as well.

And Blessings to you too.
I would say that anyone who takes up arms against someone who is unarmed is lacking faith. I've been a gun owner most of my life and I have no problem with people defending themselves. But even during the 1800's if you shot an unarmed person you were likely going to be convicted of murder. Stand your ground is an evil law. If I don't like you all I have to do is shoot you while nobody is looking and for my defense claim "I feared for my life or feared bodily injury." I'm sick of the attitude of American gun owners. They put their politics above common sense and above God's Word. I believe there's people on this forum who value their guns more than life itself and who would give up their bibles before their guns, and who love their guns more than the Lord Jesus Christ.

If the Lord were here now he would ban guns. I know he will when He returns!

America is the only civilized country with an extreme cowboy mentality toward guns.