1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Statement on the Trinity

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by HammerStone, Apr 10, 2014.

1. HammerStone

HammerStone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Ladies and gents, you should know by now that I strive to provide a graceful and understanding community as well all grow towards a maturing faith. I hope that we communicate that we understand that people are at different levels with the work of God ongoing in all of our lives. As Paul said so strikingly in his letter to the Corinthians: "For now we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, as I am fully known" (1 Corinthians 13:12 HCSB).

With that said, a recent subject that erupted here on Christianity Board is the subject of the trinity. This issue bubbles to the top in a number of threads, even ones tangentially related, because it is a central doctrine to a proper understanding of not only God the Father, but Jesus the Son, the Holy Spirit and the work done by our Savior Jesus Christ on the cross, as well as the power behind his resurrection from the dead.

We try very hard to be patient, but this issue has been weighing on the hearts of our team. We've discussed it in private, and two things became very clear:

1. We strongly desire for a graceful environment here in the community that understands people may be new to the faith or growing.
    2. We desire to earnestly defend the essential Christian doctrines that we agree and not abandon central pillars of the faith, nor do we seek to muddy the waters of belief.
    We all agreed that certain trends were troubling, and we felt that we extended every possible hand to those who believe differently from us. However, it was getting to a point where folks were taking over discussions or just not able to agree on issues that the greater majority of not only members, but Christians in general would agree upon. For instance, for all of the disagreements out there, Protestants, Catholics and the Orthodox agree on a triune God.

The arguments used against the Trinity are recycled from the very first centuries and they usually rest upon a belief in weak conspiracy theories or gross negligence on the part of Christian scholars, translators, clergy and laypersons. These types of discussions become rather unprofitable, and the doctrines of those who don't believe in the Trinity tend to yield other heterodox doctrines.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road:
    We will continue to be patient and evaluate things on a person-by-person basis. What it does mean, though, is that per our Statement of Faith, we are a Trinity-affirming community. We clearly believe this to be an issue of a closed-handed nature, though we do allow for growth.

Misunderstanding and legitimate questions about the Trinity are welcome. As St. Augustine put it, "Anyone who denies the Trinity is in danger of losing his salvation, and anyone who tries to understand it is in danger of losing his mind."

We are not called to an easy faith. If it were easy, our Savior would not have come to Earth to die on a cross.

Topics and posts made against the Trinity will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. I do not have a strict set of dos and don'ts to provide. Nonetheless, statements accusing Trinity believers of blasphemy, insults or other strongly worded statements of condemnation are not welcome here. We are open to folks who legitimately seek to learn and understand things, but we are not open to those who categorically deny a central tenant of the faith through willful choice.

Any questions may be asked here or directed to me via private message (PM).

May God's peace be in you all.

DanielGarneau likes this.
  2. Beloved212

Beloved212 New Member

Thoughtful and well put, thank you!

3. Angelina

Angelina Prayer Warrior Staff Member Admin

Faith:
    Christian
    New Zealand
    Although people may argue that the Trinity cannot be biblically proven, it can be eternally known through the Spirit of the Living God who dwells within all who believe in Jesus and live by faith according to his will and word.

The Trinity is not a requirement for salvation. The Trinity is a result of salvation because without the indwelling Spirit, the Trinity cannot be understood!. As Augustine put it ~ "Anyone who denies the Trinity is in danger of losing his salvation, and anyone who tries to understand it is in danger of losing his mind."

You cannot lose something you did not have in the first place and without the Holy Spirit, you cannot know or understand the Godhead....

Shalom!

StanJ likes this.
  4. epostle1

epostle1 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Good post Angelina. God doesn't expect us to understand all things, but I think He expects us to accept certain things on faith. Just because some things are above human reason does not mean it is opposed to it.

Is your avatar an angel?