Study to show yourself approved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do have some thoughts Mathew. As far as what rightly dividing scripture means, in combination (sort of?) with the other verse about the word of God dividing asunder soul and spirit and dividing joints and marrow.

No one has to accept it, but it clears confusions phenomenally.

There is a proper dividing between righteousness and holiness that is essential to understanding verses and also important to keep a righteous man humble so he does not offend the holiness of God. And to clear up confusions.
The question when reading is: is this verse concerning the righteousness of man (doing the right thing as far as man is capable) the righteousness that is by faith (power/grace given to put the passions under) , or the holiness of God (to not just be led by the Spirit but to walk IN the Spirit. God decides this.)

There is a proper dividing of different timeframes for eschatological verses that is the only thing that clears up confusion.
The question when reading is: Does this verse deal with the gathering, after the gathering/premillenium, or post millennium.
Here, the judgements also need to be understood as to righteousness versus holiness.

As for the dividing asunder of soul from spirit…this is a bit like…soul/how man sees/the letter versus how the Holy Spirit teaches to see.
You have seen some of this Mathew. A lot of men cannot see it. They understand soul, I.e. don’t murder. They don’t see the spirit of those words though. They insist only on law/letter. There really isn’t a question to ask for this one while reading, it has to be taught by the Holy Spirit.

Those are my thoughts on it.

Sbg,

I’m not sure what you mean, though seeing the mention of post mill, pre trib stuff, none of those things apply in my understanding of eschatology, because the context is so clear it was for the generation in that day. Jesus was going to either come back to them in that day in age or otherwise the apostles where wrong.

The post mill, pre trib stuff, is all manmade stuff, but the actual tribulations they experienced in that day in age were very real, they went through something unlike that will ever happen again. Though some would point to hitler and suggest history does repeat itself.

The only righteous I know of is Jesus who brought in the ministry of righteousness and the ministry of the spirit; those who believe on him are made right with God by faith.

I really don't want to answer for Amadeus, but I considered his questions to be rhetorical.

I believe his story also made the point that even the illiterate could be approved of God according to Paul's words to Timothy; that even a spiritual connection alone was enough...a simple mind who's heart alone was set on God might just be more beautiful before God than much study-- which takes nothing away from the good counsel to study the word of God, but says something every bit as good in counsel, perhaps even more.

I would even say, that this is much like the issue of Mary and Martha: Martha busy with many things, and Mary with one thing, one thing that is needful, compared with many things that are good to do, but not greater.

Oh thank you for sharing. Faith, active faith and relationship with God and believing on the death, burial and resurrection of Christ is enough, saved by grace through faith.

I guess that is why people go to church, they can learn under a teacher or something then make their own choices if they will feed off the word or not?

My mother doesn’t read the Bible, but she is a believer from her heart as far as it’s been know to me. She’s told me about her believing in the gospel of Christ, and I’m assured that she truly does love God however I just may never hear her talk about it.

Mary was resting with Jesus as her focus for abundance of life rather than the other who was worried to much about the material things.

I do have a habit of writing too much.

Thank you for sharing either way. I have a bad tendency to just give up after the first initial four paragraphs, or more.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was a little too much right now. :)
May help someone else though. :)

Someone will come by and see something wise in your words, thank you for always being willing and open to share.

Thank each and all of your for taking time to share.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have answers to every one of those questions, my friend?

I understand. There are all types of differ that people with different iq and understanding. Having work with people whom are either mentally ill, or low iq. The only thing one can do is try to encourage the right actions and mentioning of God and Jesus, you know.

It is hard and sad to see people that may only know little of the word, and sometimes they tittle on the fence of what they are believing is real or not. Without encouragement or someone coming by to spread the word to another person, what use is the Bible anyway?

The Holy Spirit reminds us what we learn from reading the Bible, hearing the word which increases faith.

Subsequently I don’t have the answers, but there are answers in the Bible, and mysteries of God found in them, and great encouragement of finding refuge in the God of our salvation, praying and communication in the reality that God hears our prayers and it is a fact though not every prayer May get answered…

Do you see what I’m getting at my friend?

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people have let me sit there and read the Bible to them and even my mom. It’s easy to read to another person and when you do it helps memory. Miss those people I use to get to do that with. There was the elderly lady though she didn’t care if I read or not. But she was always willingly to encourage me if I ever needed help that her husband would be willing to help me, and she told me many stories of her life. She lived in a nursing home.

There was another 40 year old who would let me read to him, and I would go through a reading the go back and try to paint a picture to him, and help his memory of what he was hearing we didn’t make it very far in the Bible before I left.

Im hoping maybe I can do these things more in the new coming year, I miss these interactions a lot, and I need to do it again more with my mother.

The word of God is so powerful and useful, and meaningful, to suggest it has no value doesn’t sit will in my mind.

If a person is 90 years old and they got a Bible that has super large text and they can read it, it well help remind them, wouldn’t you agree?

At any age, it’s not to be dogmatic to them, just reading and sharing what you see, including historically, of what is happening in the Bible.

In my opinion.

Reactions: marks

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: "study to shew thyself approved"?
partially Correct!: "Study to shew thyself APPROVED Unto God, Rightly
Dividing The Word Of Truth!" (2 Timothy 2:15 KJB!)
Brief example:

King James Bible / Underlying Manuscripts

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That DIFFER!” {online}:

All other translations / their Different/corrupt manuscripts...

Therefore:
“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
‭‭II Timothy‬ ‭2:15‬ ‭NKJV‬‬ =

corrupt translation that Changes God's Word of TRUTH!

Of course, Many believe this kind of study/Conclusion to be VERY Divisive, Correct?

May The Precious LORD Help us all with our "APPROVAL Unto HIM!" Amen?

Further Right Division, According To The KJB!:

God's Approval/TWO Gospels In Prophecy vs Mystery
"Distinctions" of Prophecy vs MYSTERY

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
AFTER ALL WHAT HAS BEEN SAID HERE, HERE IS THE CONCLUSION OF THE WHOLE MATTER:

2 Peter 1:19-21 reads:
19) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21) For the prophecy came not in old [at any] time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost

Ephesians 4:11-15 reads:
11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity in the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ.

Matthew 28:19-20 Reads:
19) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the earth. Amen.

Hosea 4:6 reads:
"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children."

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh thank you for sharing. Faith, active faith and relationship with God and believing on the death, burial and resurrection of Christ is enough, saved by grace through faith.

I guess that is why people go to church, they can learn under a teacher or something then make their own choices if they will feed off the word or not?

My mother doesn’t read the Bible, but she is a believer from her heart as far as it’s been know to me. She’s told me about her believing in the gospel of Christ, and I’m assured that she truly does love God however I just may never hear her talk about it.

Mary was resting with Jesus as her focus for abundance of life rather than the other who was worried to much about the material things.
I think the point we should be taking in, is that it is not a contest-- rather the two One... that is unless it is humanized and made into law or works, a god besides God. We need to study, indeed we do, we should. We also need to test every spirit. But to take a side--that is what is wrong. That is why it is wrong to pit scripture against scripture rather than reconciling what may otherwise appear to contradict. There can be no contradiction--that is the world talking, Satan. We ought not to join in. Too many who believe they are aiding God are actually aiding the enemy. Are we not told to examine ourselves--we are, and we see the product of such folly even here.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not think that over99% of believers seek to divide. But in learning the truth, we are to contend for the faith, once for all delivered to the saints.

The divisions are caused by those who have adopted heresy or those who in thinking they are right will resort to name calling and all sorts of accusations with those who disagree with them. There are many areas we can disagree on, even intensely but still act as brethren. But there is also other doctrines where we must take a strong stance no matter offended a person may get.

Have to say...the “Cause” of Division is expressly from Before Day one;
By God Himself and reiterated By Jesus.

Gen 1
[4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Ex 8:
[23] And I will put a division between my people and thy people: to morrow shall this sign be.
Luke 12:
[51] Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
John 7:
[43] So there was a division among the people because of him.

Freewill gives every individual a choice on which side of the division they desire to stand.
One side is WITH God, the other side is WITHOUT God.
(No option for kind of sort of sitting on the fence.)

Matt 12:
[30] He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Agree.
The “people” at large, on either side, WANT others to join WITH “them.”
The HOW, “people” go about convincing “others”... IS:
Endless, from forthright to devious, and yes, offenses dangle in the air.

Did you noticed Offending another by speech never was a US law...
But rather slid in on the term “politically correct”? <—- another long line of Marxist teaching adopted into mainstream America, introduced as wisdom used as a weapon...

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Ronald,

What does contend for the faith mean to you?

My main thing is still encouraging people to go the word and check and see if something someone in what they are presenting is true or not, because it is good to study, because the word of God is what helps a person over all to have a renewed mind.

Just as it says in the bible!

epagonizomai- contend, struggle, wrestle. We have been warned that much false doctrine will make its way into teh body of Christ! We are to wrestle against thesew forces to keep the faith pure and highlighted

Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

epagonizomai- contend, struggle, wrestle. We have been warned that much false doctrine will make its way into teh body of Christ! We are to wrestle against thesew forces to keep the faith pure and highlighted
Part of wrestling in faith with the Whole Armour of God in Ephesians 6 is with the Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, right? :)

Reactions: Mayflower and marks

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have to say...the “Cause” of Division is expressly from Before Day one;
By God Himself and reiterated By Jesus.

Gen 1
[4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Ex 8:
[23] And I will put a division between my people and thy people: to morrow shall this sign be.
Luke 12:
[51] Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
John 7:
[43] So there was a division among the people because of him.

Freewill gives every individual a choice on which side of the division they desire to stand.
One side is WITH God, the other side is WITHOUT God.
(No option for kind of sort of sitting on the fence.)

Matt 12:
[30] He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Agree.
The “people” at large, on either side, WANT others to join WITH “them.”
The HOW, “people” go about convincing “others”... IS:
Endless, from forthright to devious, and yes, offenses dangle in the air.

Did you noticed Offending another by speech never was a US law...
But rather slid in on the term “politically correct”? <—- another long line of Marxist teaching adopted into mainstream America, introduced as wisdom used as a weapon...

Well all schisms (god separating the day from night is not division as we are talking about) result from sin, that is the pat answer, but the kind of sin, is accepting false doctrine and judging those who disagree with you.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you study the word "flesh", you will notice that it is very often used in connection with corruption and with sin. This is because the true child of God has the Spirit of God dwelling in him, but more than that, it's dwelling in a corrupted sinful body. A body that desires to do the works of the flesh.

Galatians 5:19–21 (KJV 1900)
Now the works of the FLESH are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Therefore, God is encouraging his people into much study in order that we might weary the flesh which desires only to sin. Much study is a method that God has provided so that we can stand against the wiles of the Devil. In other words, we must do all we can to weary our flesh. Not our physical flesh, but what "the flesh" stands for, which is sin.
I like what you said. One thing to mention, our flesh has righteous and unrighteous desires, and we do still need to eat and rest and so on.

I appreciate the point you are making, and don't want to detract from that. Yes! Wearly the flesh from sin, but sleep when you need it.

Actually, for me, just being willing to go to bed and go to sleep is sometimes a righteous obedience!

Much love!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well all schisms (god separating the day from night is not division as we are talking about) result from sin, that is the pat answer, but the kind of sin, is accepting false doctrine and judging those who disagree with you.

Point being God Divided, Jesus reiterated.
Separating the Divided ...comes after Judgement.
Disagreeing is simply not being in Agreement.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The correct method of biblical interpretation comes directly from the word of God. It is its own dictionary and its own commentary. And it declares how it is that the Holy Spirit teaches, by comparing spiritual with spiritual. Not historical with historical or moral with moral, but spiritual with spiritual. And that's what the word of God is, spiritual.
I'm of the view that any correct understanding of Scripture will be as you say, spiritually revealed, but that you will then both see and be able to show the true understanding in the plain wording of the Scriptures. I think the truth of the Bible is hid, but hid in plain sight.

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They understand soul, I.e. don’t murder. They don’t see the spirit of those words though (anger is to have already murdered). They insist only on law/letter.
Many have yet to come to Christian love.

Anything less than giving yourself away for others is falling short of God's glory.

Much love!

Reactions: Mantis

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The biggest person we wrestle with is ourself.

I believe that to be true, as darkness within us still exist.