Study to show yourself approved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
‭‭II Timothy‬ ‭2:15‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“be diligent to present thyself approved to God — a workman irreproachable, rightly dividing the word of the truth;”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:15‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

“Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:15‬ ‭NLT‬‬

My encouragement to anyone who is an astute learner who desires to learn the word of God to learn what the Bible says, and that would be diving deep into the biblical truths that are through out its entirety.

My desire is not to divide against others if they believe certain things, but there is truth to be found on the Bible, and the scripture from what Paul suggest to Timothy in the written letter is to study.

Do not be ashamed, and believe this if you desire to learn and study your knowledge of God will increase.

““Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My desire is not to divide against others if they believe certain things, but there is truth to be found on the Bible, and the scripture from what Paul suggest to Timothy in the written letter is to study.

I do not think that over99% of believers seek to divide. But in learning the truth, we are to contend for the faith, once for all delivered to the saints.

The divisions are caused by those who have adopted heresy or those who in thinking they are right will resort to name calling and all sorts of accusations with those who disagree with them. There are many areas we can disagree on, even intensely but still act as brethren. But there is also other doctrines where we must take a strong stance no matter offended a person may get.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Ronald,

What does contend for the faith mean to you?

My main thing is still encouraging people to go the word and check and see if something someone in what they are presenting is true or not, because it is good to study, because the word of God is what helps a person over all to have a renewed mind.

Reactions: Davy and Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some suggest that contending for the faith is like a boxing ring in which two contestants battle it out with each other.

However in the book of Jude it says this,

Though we are sure Jude is writing to believers, in that age in time, sometime in the early Ads,

Jude writes:

“Judas, of Jesus Christ a servant, and brother of James, to those sanctified in God the Father, and in Jesus Christ kept — called, kindness to you, and peace, and love, be multiplied! Beloved, all diligence using to write to you concerning the common salvation, I had necessity to write to you, exhorting to agonize for the faith once delivered to the saints, for there did come in unobserved certain men, long ago having been written beforehand to this judgment, impious, the grace of our God perverting to lasciviousness, and our only Master, God, and Lord — Jesus Christ — denying, and to remind you I intend, you knowing once this, that the Lord, a people out of the land of Egypt having saved, again those who did not believe did destroy; messengers also, those who did not keep their own principality, but did leave their proper dwelling, to a judgment of a great day, in bonds everlasting, under darkness He hath kept,”
‭‭Jude‬ ‭1:1-6‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

“Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ: Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you. Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ. But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day;”
‭‭Jude‬ ‭1:1-6‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

It seems to suggest in contending for the faith being authentic as for the Gospel of Christ to not be taken away from the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ Jesus in the first opening statements as there had been people whom crept in unnoticed possibly to the gathering of believers who tired to take them away from their faith, in that day in age when this is being written.

The men who crept in apparently where making a mockery of the faith, by turning the grace of God into lewdness and denying the Lord God and Jesus Christ the Lord.

To contend with them, would be simply to say that the Gospel of Christ is what the believers place their faith in. However if they that crept in deny so, best to move forward, yet in this day in age people can associate with any and all people, however the individual has to be the one to say, they have faith in the Gospel, and live by the Holy Spirit.

Or deny the Lord God and the Lord Jesus Christ all together. I may be wrong, do you or anyone else have anything to add?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

“be diligent to present thyself approved to God — a workman irreproachable, rightly dividing the word of the truth;”

“Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.”

My encouragement to anyone who is an astute learner who desires to learn the word of God to learn what the Bible says, and that would be diving deep into the biblical truths that are through out its entirety.

Do not be ashamed, and believe this if you desire to learn and study your knowledge of God will increase.

““Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.”
And along with that, let us not forget what Solomon penned here:

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc. 12:12

Could this also mean much study of the scriptures? What if a man studies the scriptures without the leading of the Holy Spirit?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And along with that, let us not forget what Solomon penned here:

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc. 12:12

Could this also mean much study of the scriptures? What if a man studies the scriptures without the leading of the Holy Spirit?

It would be tiring to the flesh wouldn’t it? It is good to take a break from time to time, but however does that mean to set aside and put the book back up on the self ? Do you need the word of God in your life and set a time to study it for a hour or so?

My study times are random if I do it at all, it is still encouraging to try to get someone out there who may be new or old in the Bible to still make that time to see what scripture has to offer them.

Do you think people should give up if it tires them out @amadeus? Do you believe that they will learn to know truth if they dig deep and seek out the things of God? Will he reward them accordingly even so possibly by the Holy Spirit?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This sounds like the other side of the coin, where the other side is a caution not to consider personal study or ones own understanding of what is written as more important than the Spirit by which it was written. Which is good, this too is a valid and biblical point. I too agree and encourage all to study the scriptures.

Just don't make a religion of it, and don't make the mistake that the Pharisees of old did with the law.

Reactions: marks and MatthewG

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be tiring to the flesh wouldn’t it? It is good to take a break from time to time, but however does that mean to set aside and put the book back up on the self ? Do you need the word of God in your life and set a time to study it for a hour or so?

My study times are random if I do it at all, it is still encouraging to try to get someone out there who may be new or old in the Bible to still make that time to see what scripture has to offer them.

Do you think people should give up if it tires them out @amadeus? Do you believe that they will learn to know truth if they dig deep and seek out the things of God? Will he reward them accordingly even so possibly by the Holy Spirit?
Do we believe that the best Bible students will be in the end of the matter those closest God? Would that be giving an unfair advantage to those with the highest IQs and the best study ethic? Why did God give different things in different portions to different people?

Will the below average student who struggles because his limited mental ability to even read the Bible be judged for his failure to understand what so many believers consider basics or essentials or ATs [Absolute Truths]?

Is God really then a respecter of persons?

Will the apostle Paul who had so much knowledge and wisdom with regard to God and the things of God, be in the end necessarily closer to God receiving better rewards than an illiterate young believer I met many years ago who was unable to read the Bible in his native language? He could not read, but he knew and followed God?

Read the verse again:

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." II Tim 2:15

Does it say that study will result in being able to rightly divide? Or does it say that study is to be done in order to receive God's approval?

Is the following verse contradicting the II Timothy verse?

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is why teachers exist, @amadeus.
And those who are mature in the faith (elders).
People shouldn’t be afraid to ask questions if they are in need of help.

Thank you for all your questions though, some food for thought. However not everyone is called the be teacher, with use of the scripture.

However if someone doesn’t understand scripture does that matter ? Shouldn’t they read anyway to get a taste of the good Lord?
To keep seeking God ? To learn the truth?

I don’t care what anyone else it is good to just see, look, ponder and consider what the Holy Bible does say. It is the only way to renew your mind by God and the spirit working with you, as you come to learn about Jesus.

@ScottA thank you for your comment and addressing what you were lead to address. I would agree that making a dogmatic no leeway for others to think for themselves approach is not healthy nor good for spiritual growth.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you for all your questions though, some food for thought. However not everyone is called the be teacher, with use of the scripture.

However if someone doesn’t understand scripture does that matter ? Shouldn’t they read anyway to get a taste of the good Lord?

I don’t care what anyone else it is good to just see, look, ponder and consider what the Holy Bible does say. It is the only way to renew your mind by God and the spirit working with you, as you come to learn about Jesus.
Do you have answers to every one of those questions, my friend?

Reactions: MatthewG

EddieRamos

Dec 19, 2021
Millville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello @MatthewG, Whenever we look into the scriptures, it's best not to look at who the earthly scribes are, as they are insignificant insofar as what message is being proclaimed. For example, your quote stated that Paul suggested to Timothy, in his written letter, to study. But it's actually God who commanded it. This is the way we ought to view all of scripture as (for all intents and purposes) God is the one who wrote the Bible.

Also, in another post you stated this about too much study:

This is actually teaching the opposite of what you are thinking.

Ecclesiastes 12:12 (KJV 1900)
And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

If you study the word "flesh", you will notice that it is very often used in connection with corruption and with sin. This is because the true child of God has the Spirit of God dwelling in him, but more than that, it's dwelling in a corrupted sinful body. A body that desires to do the works of the flesh.

Galatians 5:19–21 (KJV 1900)
Now the works of the FLESH are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Therefore, God is encouraging his people into much study in order that we might weary the flesh which desires only to sin. Much study is a method that God has provided so that we can stand against the wiles of the Devil. In other words, we must do all we can to weary our flesh. Not our physical flesh, but what "the flesh" stands for, which is sin.

This goes hand in hand with all other commands we have from God to focus only on His word.

Colossians 3:2 (KJV 1900)
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Matthew 22:37 (KJV 1900)
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Romans 12:2 (KJV 1900)
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Joshua 1:8 (KJV 1900)
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Psalm 1:2 (KJV 1900)
But his delight is in the law of the Lord;
And in his law doth he meditate day and night.

All these passages (and many more) confirm for us that Ecc 12:12 is to be understood as an encouragement to do much study and not the other way around.

I hope you find this to be helpful.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here’s another. Might help with understanding on the first one.
The word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @MatthewG, Whenever we look into the scriptures, it's best not to look at who the earthly scribes are, as they are insignificant insofar as what message is being proclaimed. For example, your quote stated that Paul suggested to Timothy, in his written letter, to study. But it's actually God who commanded it. This is the way we ought to view all of scripture as (for all intents and purposes) God is the one who wrote the Bible.

Also, in another post you stated this about too much study:

This is actually teaching the opposite of what you are thinking.

Ecclesiastes 12:12 (KJV 1900)
And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

If you study the word "flesh", you will notice that it is very often used in connection with corruption and with sin. This is because the true child of God has the Spirit of God dwelling in him, but more than that, it's dwelling in a corrupted sinful body. A body that desires to do the works of the flesh.

Galatians 5:19–21 (KJV 1900)
Now the works of the FLESH are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Therefore, God is encouraging his people into much study in order that we might weary the flesh which desires only to sin. Much study is a method that God has provided so that we can stand against the wiles of the Devil. In other words, we must do all we can to weary our flesh. Not our physical flesh, but what "the flesh" stands for, which is sin.

This goes hand in hand with all other commands we have from God to focus only on His word.

Colossians 3:2 (KJV 1900)
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Matthew 22:37 (KJV 1900)
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Romans 12:2 (KJV 1900)
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Joshua 1:8 (KJV 1900)
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Psalm 1:2 (KJV 1900)
But his delight is in the law of the Lord;
And in his law doth he meditate day and night.

All these passages (and many more) confirm for us that Ecc 12:12 is to be understood as an encouragement to do much study and not the other way around.

I hope you find this to be helpful.

Eddie

This to me, is very helpful, thank you for sharing and making note.

There is just one question I have about you mentioning the reason of having no reason to note who the earthly scribe was?

I would really choose to disagree with this, the reasoning is, that all of the complied letters where always to a specific person, or group of people back then in that day in age.

Subsequently for this reason, people should really consider in my opinion the dating, time, place, and over all arching messages through out any book and it’s context.

Therefore to my personal taste; would be a proper way to study, and really get a grip, possibly deeper and more meaningful understanding of the passages they may be reading, including the furtherance of digging up from the ground Hebrew, and Greek words.

Even checking differing translations, if they desire.

Thank you for making mention of the tiring of the flesh, would fall more in line what you seem to suggest would be the spirit that come more into play rather than our natural dark proclivities of the flesh, that was helpful.

@amadeus

If I never took a chance to learn about Jesus Christ reading the four gospels about him, and then learning about the other books in Apostolic record (aside from acts I still haven’t finished it).

I would have never grown so much in my walk with Christ Jesus, abiding in Him, and having the Holy Spirit as an assurance that lives with me, including the spirit of Christ.

People who desire to learn and consider historically who is written, what is being written, when it was written, why it is being written, and question these things as they go along they will grow tremendously in truth, along with growing also in freedom of the spirit.

I had to take a chance to learn who Jesus was without anyone really explaining anything to me at first, and since I did so, I was a hateful Christian at first then asked God for a someone to help as far as teaching me, and he most certainly answered my prayer.

Shawn Mcranney had a big impact in my life as someone who constantly studied the word and taught the word as a teacher: and not a pastor.

@stunnedbygrace

That is a great scripture written by an unknown author to the Jewish Converts back in that day in age in that time of issues and problems, going on and the writer in their made many cases for Jesus who was the head of everything thing, and he makes mention of how the word of God is quick and powerful, like a sword.

The reason for that is when a person gets into reading and studying the word they might read things that pierce through their heart as they not only learn historically about the Jews, Greeks, and historical acts in the book of Acts they learn about themselves in the reflection of a book, with strong use of words by the Lord Jesus Christ and the LORD have said, as well, any thoughts on these things here?

If anyone disagrees or agrees, or just would like to make suggestions please feel free to do so, as I do not mind.

God bless to each and everyone here,
Matthew G.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For a side note, I believe the word of God in that context of the Writer of Hebrew would be considered the Old Testament.

Many people believe today that the people in that time had the New Testament as it is complied now today. I do not believe that is the case.

I personally believe everything was written before 70ad, and the gospel of mark, Matthew, luke, John was sent to the specific people group as a testimony of who Jesus was, and everything they had witnessed which they had documented down, and also the individual letters written by, Paul, John, James, Peter, which after 70ad was gathered together and decided to be put together calling it the New Testament.

Last edited:

EddieRamos

Dec 19, 2021
Millville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would really choose to disagree with this, the reasoning is, that all of the complied letters where always to a specific person, or group of people back then in that day in age.

@MatthewG, thank you for your reply. I have always found it tremendously helpful to be able to substantiate any bible study principle or doctrine I hold to be true with an example or passage form the Bible. The reason I mention this is because the historical, grammatical method (which is what I believe you're leaning to) is not found in the scriptures. It's derived from what we perhaps would call, common sense, which tells us that in order for us to understand a particular text (as we would any other historical book), then we have to put ourselves in the shoes of the recipients and try to understand what was written from their perspective.

However, the Bible is not like any other historical text ever written by man. The Bible stands alone as a divinely inspired book given to us by God. As such, God, as the author, has the right to dictate how his book is to be approached and understood. I hope in this last statement we can agree. And God indeed does teach us how we are to approach and study his word in order to properly understand it. He does this through direct instruction and through examples found within the scriptures.

For example, the book of Romans has been attributed to Paul as he gave instructions to the saints at Rome. But a closer look reveals that Paul didn't actually write the book of Romans, rather, a man named Tertius did.

Romans 16:22 (KJV 1900)
I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord.

From this one verse we learn that credit of any book of the Bible is not given to the scribe, but to the author as it has been historically given to Paul. But what about when Paul wrote the letter to the Galatians?

Galatians 6:11 (KJV 1900)
Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand

Is God given the credit for being the author of this letter then? Not usually, it's still given to Paul, and this is a mistake. The book of Romans serves as a guide to teach us that the one who spoke the words (the author) is the one who gets the credit of the content, not the one who penned them. And the scriptures tell us that ALL of scripture came from the mouth of God.

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV 1900)
ALL scripture
is given by inspiration of God (God breathed), and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

And we also have plenty of references that we can turn to where a prophet of God is speaking in the name of the Lord and we don't see where God actually first spoke to him, but we know he did. It is the same with everyone whom God chose to speak and write His word. All credit goes to God, not man.

Insofar as the historical method of interpretation that suggests that we try to understand any particular portion of the scriptures by placing ourselves in the shoes of the recipients, and understanding as much history about them or the individuals, God also dispels this idea by writing to the Jews of the Old Testament but actually, hiding the true meaning from them and revealing it unto the readers in the New Testament.

1 Corinthians 10:11 (KJV 1900)
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

The word "admonition" comes from the word translated as "understanding". So, we can also read it this way, "Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our understanding". And then God gives us an example of this.

1 Corinthians 9:8–11 (KJV 1900)
Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? 10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?

So, historically, the nation of Israel did not understand the spiritual meanings of each law that was given. This left them with only the recourse of obeying each commandment literally without having any understanding as to any spiritual meaning. But in the New Testament, God reveals to us that that law was never for the benefit of the oxen, but rather that that law (like every law) contained a deeper spiritual meaning that God would reveal at the proper time. So, trying to place ourselves in their shoes as they were receiving the law would have been of no benefit as a seemingly plain commandment had another meaning altogether. And the Bible is filled with these examples.

The correct method of biblical interpretation comes directly from the word of God. It is its own dictionary and its own commentary. And it declares how it is that the Holy Spirit teaches, by comparing spiritual with spiritual. Not historical with historical or moral with moral, but spiritual with spiritual. And that's what the word of God is, spiritual.

1 Corinthians 2:13 (KJV 1900)
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

The bible also allows us, or I should say, expects us, when comparing spiritual with spiritual, that we not confine ourselves to the one book or one letter written, but rather to use ALL of scripture in order to develop proper doctrine (2 Tim 3:16).

Isaiah 28:9–10 (KJV 1900)
Whom shall he teach knowledge?
And whom shall he make to understand doctrine?

Them that are weaned from the milk,
And drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept;
Line upon line, line upon line;
Here a little, and there a little:

This means that we are to use the entire word of God when developing any doctrine, and if we find harmony (agreement) within the Bible as a whole, then we have found truth. The historical grammatical method confines us to stay in one book (contrary to Isa 28:9-10) because of the whole idea of placing ourselves in the shoes of the recipients. But this is a mistake.

If I read too much into your initial reply, then please forgive me, but I hope this helps, nonetheless.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eddie

You wrote to much, I got to lazy and didn’t desire to read the rest of it.

I will say this to you, your right in how the Holy Bible is different than any other book in the world. Written by inspired men of God to document historical happenings, as well what the LORD had spoken, and the Lord Jesus, and quite the historical evidences from before Christ was ever born in flesh, and even far more after.

Let the Spirit Guide.

It’s funny you mentioned the ending of Romans, my teacher went over that today.

He has went through every book of the Apostolic Record, verse by verse.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do have some thoughts Mathew. As far as what rightly dividing scripture means, in combination (sort of?) with the other verse about the word of God dividing asunder soul and spirit and dividing joints and marrow.

No one has to accept it, but it clears confusions phenomenally.

There is a proper dividing between righteousness and holiness that is essential to understanding verses and also important to keep a righteous man humble so he does not offend the holiness of God. And to clear up confusions.
The question when reading is: is this verse concerning the righteousness of man (doing the right thing as far as man is capable) the righteousness that comes by trust (power/grace given to put the passions/flesh under) , or the holiness of God (to not just be led by the Spirit but to walk IN the Spirit. God decides this.)
I sometimes think if my friend hadn’t shared this key with me, I may never have come out of all the confusion of Babel that is modern day Christianity, because I have never seen another man have the key. (I think I recently saw a second man who seems to understand it though!)

There is a proper dividing of different timeframes for eschatological verses that is the only thing that clears up confusion.
The question when reading is: Does this verse deal with the gathering (pray that you will be found worthy to escape that time of testing coming on the whole world to test its people), or after the gathering/premillenium, or post millennium.
Here, the different judgements and final destinations also need to be understood as to righteousness versus holiness or a terrible mess ensues.

As for the dividing asunder of soul from spirit…this is…soul/how man naturally sees/the letter - versus how the Holy Spirit teaches to see.
You have seen some of this Mathew. A lot of men cannot see it. They understand soul, I.e. don’t murder. They don’t see the spirit of those words though (anger is to have already murdered). They insist only on law/letter. There really isn’t a question to ask for this one while reading, it has to be taught by the Holy Spirit. A man either sees it or he doesn’t. If he is blessed to see it, he begins to really hunger for righteousness inside and asks for what he lacks and God gives Him what he asks for, eventually, and the man is freed from his passions ruling over him.

Those are my thoughts on it.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I really don't want to answer for Amadeus, but I considered his questions to be rhetorical.

I believe his story also made the point that even the illiterate could be approved of God according to Paul's words to Timothy; that even a spiritual connection alone was enough...a simple mind who's heart alone was set on God might just be more beautiful before God than much study-- which takes nothing away from the good counsel to study the word of God, but says something every bit as good in counsel, perhaps even more.

I would even say, that this is much like the issue of Mary and Martha: Martha busy with many things, and Mary with one thing, one thing that is needful, compared with many things that are good to do, but not greater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower