Stumbling Block verses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole world stinks of corruption...don't want anything it has to offer anymore and cannot believe I used to for so long.
And in so many churches is also this "creeping worldliness" prevalent. From the 'dyed in the wool' unbeliever it should be no surprise, but for the confessed believers in Jesus, it seems so often to be just the same.

"For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:46-48

So then who is here or even striving to be here?

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Rom 12:1-2

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And in so many churches is also this "creeping worldliness" prevalent. From the 'dyed in the wool' unbeliever it should be no surprise, but for the confessed believers in Jesus, it seems so often to be just the same.

"For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:46-48

So then who is here or even striving to be here?

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Rom 12:1-2

Sure has crept into the Church. Let's pray that we never compromise our faith, despite the Church being so worldly...and real discernment is called for I would think also?
"Be ye transformed..." It didn't usually take over night to be so taken in by this world so, I'd imagine the transformation would not be overnight either yet...press on soldier!! :)

Reactions: amadeus

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
All I have is that another verse came to mind when I read this one. Its the one that says...I saw you kicking around in your blood and I said to you, LIVE!

Thinking on this for the past few days, Ezekiel 16:6 paints a nasty picture of someone wounded and bleeding out. Sin has separated us from God and has left a grievous wound. And that is the tie-in with Isaiah 1:18. Healing comes by being bathed as is mentioned in the psalms, an allusion to the Spirit in us. But the Spirit could only come to us if Jesus left.

Best I can understand Jesus blood is to stake a claim for him over those sprinkled, Blood for blood to satisfy God's Justice in the courts of heaven. It is also the source of resurrection power because he is God.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"the Romans and Greeks even had deities named Peace: Pax and Eirene..." from the first link, so i hope you understand my objection there bro

Thanks for the links, they were interesting...

As for your objection, well I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure why you would make such a connection.
If men today set up an idol and said 'this is our God Peace' would we then not be able to have a conversation using the word peace in its normative way without somehow paying homage to their 'god'.

And, certainly in English, words change their meaning over time (sometimes to the exact opposite of what they used to mean). Thus it's important imo to make an effort to understand what another is trying to convey by their words, their intent, as we touched on previously..

And of course some words can be understood quite differently, so context becomes vitally important.

Again 'peace' is a good example, because as you pointed out there is the 'peace' brought about by men with force of arms such as the 'pax Romana' or dare I say 'pax Americana',
And then there is the 'peace' that only Christ can give...

Again, I think this comes back to language and how we use it.
Appropriate I think to discuss on a thread about a stumbling block.

Language and our ability to communicate and understand each other can one of the largest stumbling blocks to loving one another imo.

Take your comment here:
are you here to learn Christianity, or fwd Catholicism? Bc the two will never meet ok;

Which to me, is absurd, based on my understanding of the words 'catholic' and 'christian'.

Now I could take offense and argue over it, but that would be pointless if I don't understand why you said this or what you mean by it (your intentions).

So them what do you mean by 'Catholicism'? Are you referring specifically to those in communion with Rome? Or would you include alll the apostolic churches (Orthodox, Copts etc.. Do you also inclide 'traditional' protestant churches such as Anglicans?

What do you mean by Christianity? Do you mean all those who claim to follow Christ? Or a particular group or communuty who do?

For me the words 'catholic' and 'christian' are synonomous.

'catholic' referring to the unity of the body of Christ (even amongst our squabbling)

And 'christian' referring to each member of it.

um, hard to beat that interp imo; "facts" seem to fit the bill to me. Fwiw i am saving this post for later, and i guess you wont like it when i bring it up ok. Bam dont hesitate to do likewise for me, i would appreciate it

Hah. No one 'likes' being corrected by their own words, but I would expect nothing less. ;)

Peace!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
As for your objection, well I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure why you would make such a connection.
oh, i did not make the connection, sorry; Pax is a Roman god. That is not an opinion. Wikipedia or any other resource you prefer can verify that bro
If men today set up an idol and said 'this is our God Peace' would we then not be able to have a conversation using the word peace in its normative way without somehow paying homage to their 'god'.
funny you mention that specifically as an expanation; but that is for a diff thread i guess. Actually that is quite pertinent i guess, as we def sacrifice to that god too. But we dont...ha well i guess we set up temples to it too, huh

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Speaking in Tongues" yeh

I would think so, and perhapa even more importantly 'interpreting'. What good is it if one has some wisdom, some knowlwdge, but no way of communicating it with another?

You asked me again why I'm here, but this you know already..

But perhaps also to learn a new language. I find it encouraging that many discussions here touch on what i would call 'catholic' or universal themes, but the terminology used is different...

Peace!

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So them what do you mean by 'Catholicism'? Are you referring specifically to those in communion with Rome?
yes pj, and again i am not here to argue with a committed Roman Catholic, ok; i volunteer at CC, i have no problems with Catholics--or most "atheists" for that matter--but wadr you are not Christian, and apparently not interested in becoming one, and you have violated the Scriptural principle of Moving Boundary Stones by being here, imo.
For me the words 'catholic' and 'christian' are synonomous.
Wadr what is For you is completely irrelevant here, although it would surely be valued on a Catholic forum. Why are you here?
You asked me again why I'm here, but this you know already.
no, i dont, as you have not replied to the Q that i am aware of, or if you have you wrote a tl;dr preaching tome that i am not interested in at present, no offense meant.
But perhaps also to learn a new language. I find it encouraging that many discussions here touch on what i would call 'catholic' or universal themes, but the terminology used is different...
not only the terminology, but virtually every aspect of Christendom, every single concept that a Christian holds dear, is violated by your satanic agenda bro.

Now i will admit that i am certainly no better than you, and unlike you i would not tell you that you are "lost," forum rules or no. But you are not here to learn anything, and have not demonstrated that you can hear anything either, no offense meant. Your reasoning away of the Roman god Pax just the most recent example.

so, as this forum apparently does not care about you moving boundary stones either, and seems intent on making this forum as dead as any Catholic forum, i think i will solve this truly serious issue for you, being as how you do not have enough sense apparently to respect the serious violation you are committing?

And i hope you understand that if even just your demeanor here were diff, and seeking--which wadr i find zero evidence of, not one single "oh, i didnt know that" or even "hmm, thats interesting"--rather than repeatedly trying to teach what you do not know, my response here would be different ok.

Jesus tells us to goto diff towns, and eat what we are fed; i have no objection to your presence here per se, ok. It is that you are not acting like a good guest, and you dont seem to care. Im sorry for this, as you seem like a decent guy.

Pax, always capitalized, notice, bc it is a name, see

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Pax (goddess) | Wikiwand

just another god in your pantheon, ok, which again i got no beef with your beliefs; none of my business. There are forums where you would be embraced. Do you need directions

now, if you can show me one, single confession of ignorance in a prior post since you have been here--one--i will apologize and recant, ok
best of luck, i actually hope you can tbh

but when you cannot, understand my objections, ok? Ppl here are demonstrably confused enough already, and you are the problem, not the solution, wadr.
You demonstrate a lack of respect for Christianity when you forward (unscriptural) Catholic themes here

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i find zero evidence of, not one single "oh, i didnt know that" or even "hmm, thats interesting"

Keep throwing up those walls beloved, I'll just keep tearing them down.

May the Lion of Judah bless you abundently!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Keep throwing up those walls beloved, I'll just keep tearing them down.

May the Lion of Judah bless you abundently!
pj i hope you understand that i wish you no ill ok.
But you have once again pursued the irrelevant part of my post, and i notice this is a habit with you, at least so far in our interactions?

The Lion does not bless fwiw, the Lion of Judah is not what you think it is either ok, no offense meant.
So, show us one Example of "Lion of Judah, blessing" if you will, ty

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Sure has crept into the Church.
you think?
Church being so worldly...and real discernment is called for I would think also?
can you hear what you are saying?
"Be ye transformed..." It didn't usually take over night to be so taken in by this world so, I'd imagine the transformation would not be overnight either yet...press on soldier!! :)
felt like a sheep among wolves lately, nanc?
1After this, the Lord appointed 70a others, and He sent them ahead of Him inpairs to every town and place where He Himself was about to go.
2He told them:b“The harvestc is abundant, but the workersd are few. Therefore, pray to the Lordof the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.e
3Now go; I’m sending youout like lambs among wolves.f
4Don’t carry a money-bag,g traveling bag,h orsandals;i don’t greet anyone along the road.
5Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peacej to this household.’
6If a son of peacek is there, your peacel will rest onhim; but if not, it will return to you.
7Remain in the same house, eating anddrinking what they offer, for the worker is worthy of his wages.m Don’t be movingfrom house to house.
8When you enter any town, and they welcome you, eat thethings set before you.n
9Heal the sicko who are there, and tell them, ‘The kingdomof Godp has come nearq you.
do yourself a favor imo, ok. Press on, "soldier."
Btw irl the description on the face of this is not at all what is going to end up manifesting i bet, and you will read this completely diff when you return. Best of luck either way ok sis

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
so, fwiw, the world is perfect just like it is, things are better today than they ever have been at any time, by any measure you care to name--please post a challenge to this if you can--and the Church is not, at all, doing any of that, even a little bit, yall, ok? That would be the "not-Church," or prolly what you call "denominations." Which granted might possibly, maybe, perhaps have a Stone in them, but likely not.

What yall are doing is the eye is the lamp of the body imo, wadr

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hard to hear how that ends up being the language of division i guess huh. How many Churches are there, a?
Is it now 40-50,000 denominations?

When this is happening it is certainly is a movement from bad to worse. Probably not many, if any, qualify as good at the beginning of this kind of motion. Individuals may do better than the church as a group... but it could be a very lonely road. Jesus walked a lonely road and if we are to be like Him?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
see, pj, no offense bro but crickets is not acceptable here ok. For you. Understand your position here. You are not a Prot, so i am going to dog you like a redheaded step-child bro; i am going to Protest. I hope you understand. You broke down a fence and are an interloper here, imo.

So teach away if you like, but as you have already stated as far as you are concerned i am "lost," so be ready ok, nothing personal.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i would say no...but i guess i get why most ppl might
Truth be told the number is one I read on the Internet somewhere. How could I know better?
You are seeing it probably from another angle.

One way might be that nearly each and every believer is on his own in this but [nearly?] always with some views/beliefs which overlap those of others.

Care to share another way you have of looking at it?