Sufficency of Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Amen!!!

The problem is some "Christians" believe God has given them those confessions and men to guide the (like a cult member following a divinely inspired guru or a spirit guide). But each of them choose these men (whether Pink, Hill, Wesley, Joseph Smith, Jim Jones). Ultimately they are their own gods. They choose an extra biblical philosophy they like. They choose to follow men who "tickle their ears". They are at the center of their own faith.

The Jesus of the Bible is different. Christians follow Him. The Spirit is in them. Doctrine is Scripture. It is that simple.
If it was there wouldnt be so many different religions or gospels preached from the very same book.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Candidus,

Christianity is faith in the living God, Jesus Christ. While the Bible, or some "-ism" may be helpful... it is not the same. It is not the object of our faith; or at least it should not be
.[/QUOTE]

Now you are getting it. Look how much clearer the confession of faith offers those scriptures who teach this;
Chapter 14: Of Saving Faith
1._____ The grace of faith, whereby the elect are enabled to believe to the saving of their souls, is the work of the Spirit of Christ in their hearts, and is ordinarily wrought by the ministry of the Word; by which also, and by the administration of baptism and the Lord's supper, prayer, and other means appointed of God, it is increased and strengthened. ( 2 Corinthians 4:13; Ephesians 2:8; Romans 10:14, 17; Luke 17:5; 1 Peter 2:2; Acts 20:32 )
2._____ By this faith a Christian believeth to be true whatsoever is revealed in the Word for the authority of God himself, and also apprehendeth an excellency therein above all other writings and all things in the world, as it bears forth the glory of God in his attributes, the excellency of Christ in his nature and offices, and the power and fullness of the Holy Spirit in his workings and operations: and so is enabled to cast his soul upon the truth thus believed; and also acteth differently upon that which each particular passage thereof containeth; yielding obedience to the commands, trembling at the threatenings, and embracing the promises of God for this life and that which is to come; but the principal acts of saving faith have immediate relation to Christ, accepting, receiving, and resting upon him alone for justification, sanctification, and eternal life, by virtue of the covenant of grace.
( Acts 24:14; Psalms 27:7-10; Psalms 119:72; 2 Timothy 1:12; John 14:14; Isaiah 66:2; Hebrews 11:13; John 1:12; Acts 16:31; Galatians 2:20; Acts 15:11 )

3._____ This faith, although it be different in degrees, and may be weak or strong, yet it is in the least degree of it different in the kind or nature of it, as is all other saving grace, from the faith and common grace of temporary believers; and therefore, though it may be many times assailed and weakened, yet it gets the victory, growing up in many to the attainment of a full assurance through Christ, who is both the author and finisher of our faith.
( Hebrews 5:13, 14; Matthew 6:30; Romans 4:19, 20; 2 Peter 1:1; Ephesians 6:16; 1 John 5:4, 5; Hebrews 6:11, 12; Colossians 2:2; Hebrews 12:2 )

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You go straight to a heretic that does not know the Gospel!

Spurgeon said that "Calvinism is the Gospel." Sad...
He was correct if you read his whole statement, but I forgot, you and your posse know more than all others throughout church history. So now you say Spurgeon was a heretic:oops::rolleyes::oops:o_O

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No He does not, He teaches that He is enough, apparently He isnt for many.
This is called WILFULL IGNORANCE. So take some time to digest the words of Christ.

But he [Jesus] answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. (Mt 4:4)

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.

27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

He did not tell him, you have scripture, you should not listen to a trusted guide, and the words of a man,lol
;););):oops:

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are getting it. Look how much clearer the confession of faith offers those scriptures who teach this;
Chapter 14: Of Saving Faith
1._____ The grace of faith, whereby the elect are enabled to believe to the saving of their souls, is the work of the Spirit of Christ in their hearts, and is ordinarily wrought by the ministry of the Word; by which also, and by the administration of baptism and the Lord's supper, prayer, and other means appointed of God, it is increased and strengthened. ( 2 Corinthians 4:13; Ephesians 2:8; Romans 10:14, 17; Luke 17:5; 1 Peter 2:2; Acts 20:32 )
2._____ By this faith a Christian believeth to be true whatsoever is revealed in the Word for the authority of God himself, and also apprehendeth an excellency therein above all other writings and all things in the world, as it bears forth the glory of God in his attributes, the excellency of Christ in his nature and offices, and the power and fullness of the Holy Spirit in his workings and operations: and so is enabled to cast his soul upon the truth thus believed; and also acteth differently upon that which each particular passage thereof containeth; yielding obedience to the commands, trembling at the threatenings, and embracing the promises of God for this life and that which is to come; but the principal acts of saving faith have immediate relation to Christ, accepting, receiving, and resting upon him alone for justification, sanctification, and eternal life, by virtue of the covenant of grace.
( Acts 24:14; Psalms 27:7-10; Psalms 119:72; 2 Timothy 1:12; John 14:14; Isaiah 66:2; Hebrews 11:13; John 1:12; Acts 16:31; Galatians 2:20; Acts 15:11 )

3._____ This faith, although it be different in degrees, and may be weak or strong, yet it is in the least degree of it different in the kind or nature of it, as is all other saving grace, from the faith and common grace of temporary believers; and therefore, though it may be many times assailed and weakened, yet it gets the victory, growing up in many to the attainment of a full assurance through Christ, who is both the author and finisher of our faith.
( Hebrews 5:13, 14; Matthew 6:30; Romans 4:19, 20; 2 Peter 1:1; Ephesians 6:16; 1 John 5:4, 5; Hebrews 6:11, 12; Colossians 2:2; Hebrews 12:2 )

I don't want some Confession telling me what I am going to believe before they show me Scripture; and especially when it only makes reference to Scripture numbers. I would rather see Scripture, and then some commentary. This is the problem, that this "Confession" loads one up with bias and presuppositions they are leading someone to 'read into' the Scripture, and not 'draw it out from' Scripture.

I don't need their comments. If the Scriptures references that were posted actually validated everything that preceded them, then we would not need their comments... would we!

Last edited:

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.

27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

He did not tell him, you have scripture, you should not listen to a trusted guide, and the words of a man,lol
;););):oops:

He "began at the same Scripture," and "preached to him Jesus.., he didn't "begin with a trusted guide" "and "preached to him the Baptist Confession of Faith, A.W. Pink, Berkhof, Spurgeon, or any other man..."

Last edited:

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was correct if you read his whole statement, but I forgot, you and your posse know more than all others throughout church history. So now you say Spurgeon was a heretic:oops::rolleyes::oops:o_O

Spurgeon preached "another Gospel" other than what the Apostles taught. That is heresy!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Candidus,
I don't need their comments. If the Scriptures references that were posted actually validated everything that preceded them, then we would not need their comments... would we.
I have read many of your posts and see that truth has eluded your posts quite often, as well as your posse members. This confirms my concerns. When you speak against men like Spurgeon and Berkhof, the Puritans, etc...you have left the reservation and place yourself in peril, but you are free to do that. Start your own thread on that and see if you can grow your posse.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He "began at the same Scripture," and "preached to him Jesus.., he didn't "begin with a trusted guide" "and preach to him the Baptist Confession of Faith, A.W. Pink, Berkhof, Spurgeon, or any other man...

That is because he was the trusted guide;););)

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a foolish post.
It is a documented fact! Calvinism is not the Gospel! The Apostle's preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ! No one was ever told in the Bible to have to believe in Predestination, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace, and Perseverance of the Saints to be saved! Calvinism is simply not the Gospel! Saying so is a substitute for the real Gospel and will lead one to Hell.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you believe Jesus is Eternal God?
Jesus is the word of God , He is also the son of man, and the son of God, Jesus sits at the right hand of God. Does God have a split personality.

Act 7:55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
Act 7:56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.

Reactions: amadeus

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Candidus,

I have read many of your posts and see that truth has eluded your posts quite often, as well as your posse members. This confirms my concerns. When you speak against men like Spurgeon and Berkhof, the Puritans, etc...you have left the reservation and place yourself in peril, but you are free to do that. Start your own thread on that and see if you can grow your posse.

Peril? :p:p:p:p:p:p

"Believe my false doctrine or go to Hell!" I guess that isn't just for the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons anymore! :rolleyes:

Reactions: John Caldwell

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is called WILFULL IGNORANCE. So take some time to digest the words of Christ.

But he [Jesus] answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. (Mt 4:4)
Jesus, yes you should get to know Him.

Joh 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
Joh 6:33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
Joh 6:34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
Joh 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

I guess people dont care about teh things of heaven.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a documented fact! Calvinism is not the Gospel! The Apostle's preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ! No one was ever told in the Bible to have to believe in Predestination, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace, and Perseverance of the Saints to be saved! Calvinism is simply not the Gospel! Saying so is a substitute for the real Gospel and will lead one to Hell.

The topic of this thread is the sufficency of scripture.
nevertheless;
I have my own opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism;

Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else.

I do not believe we can preach
the gospel if we do not preach justification by faith without works;

nor unless we preach
the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace;

nor unless we exalt
the electing unchangeable eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah;

nor do I think we can preach
the gospel unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross.

(Charles Spurgeon, The New Park Street Pulpit, Vol. 1, 1856).

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

I guess people dont care about teh things of heaven.

God has to reveal himself to man.God reveals Jesus is eternal God come in the flesh.
God reveals the Holy Spirit is God.
No need for you to guess. Biblical Christians freely confess these truths openly, do you?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peril? :p:p:p:p:p:p

"Believe my false doctrine or go to Hell!" I guess that isn't just for the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons anymore! :rolleyes:

Biblical doctrine does not come from me, but God.
You are free to turn from it and face God.
I never made such a statement as it is not well thought out.
It looks like you and your posse are only here to disrupt the thread.
The fact that each one of you must post things that we did not say is telling.
Start your own threads.
If I want to interact with such ideas I will come to visit.
If not continue without me.:oops::oops::oops: