Sufficency of Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 1689 confession of faith tells us this;
Chapter 1: Of the Holy Scriptures
1._____ The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience, although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men inexcusable; yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God and his will which is necessary unto salvation.

Therefore it pleased the Lord at sundry times and in divers manners to reveal himself, and to declare that his will unto his church; and afterward for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan, and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing;

which maketh the Holy Scriptures to be most necessary, those former ways of God's revealing his will unto his people being now ceased.
( 2 Timothy 3:15-17; Isaiah 8:20; Luke 16:29, 31; Ephesians 2:20; Romans 1:19-21; Romans 2:14,15; Psalms 19:1-3; Hebrews 1:1; Proverbs 22:19-21; Romans 15:4; 2 Peter 1:19,20 )

Scripture is given as the main means of grace in instructing and sanctifying us.
As the Spirit quickens the word and enables us to obey and serve we promote Kingdom growth.
Those who go outside of the scriptural protection drift into a "christian fantasy world of imagination , and not reality" This danger is common in these times we live in.
How have you helped others recover themselves from such harmful error and delusion?

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[Those who go outside of the scriptural protection drift into a "Christian fantasy world of imagination, and not reality" This danger is common in these times we live in.
How have you helped others recover themselves from such harmful error and delusion?

When people turn away from scripture they replace it with something else.

1] emotional feelings

2] failed theologies

3]imaginging they are receiving new revelation

4]joining a cult

5] not joining a bible teaching and preaching church

6] not reading commentaries by godly teachers

7]trusting in dreams as a source

8] personal experiences over scripture

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1._____ The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience, although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men inexcusable; yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God and his will which is necessary unto salvation.

Therefore it pleased the Lord at sundry times and in divers manners to reveal himself, and to declare that his will unto his church; and afterward for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan, and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing;

which maketh the Holy Scriptures to be most necessary, those former ways of God's revealing his will unto his people being now ceased.
( 2 Timothy 3:15-17; Isaiah 8:20; Luke 16:29, 31; Ephesians 2:20; Romans 1:19-21; Romans 2:14,15; Psalms 19:1-3; Hebrews 1:1; Proverbs 22:19-21; Romans 15:4; 2 Peter 1:19,20 )

Scripture is given as the main means of grace in instructing and sanctifying us.
As the Spirit quickens the word and enables us to obey and serve we promote Kingdom growth.
Those who go outside of the scriptural protection drift into a "christian fantasy world of imagination , and not reality" This danger is common in these times we live in.

what scripture did those who wrote down the scriptures go by. how did they know?

Reactions: amadeus

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what scripture did those who wrote down the scriptures go by. how did they know?
Those who wrote Scripture did so by the revelation of God. The "test" of what they wrote was different in the OT (God affirmed the words delivered).

Today we have Scripture. That is our test of doctrine.

"Sufficiency of Scripture" means we do not turn to Confessions or traditions to test doctrine. We turn to the Bible.

Otherwise doctrine is subjective. Imagine, for example, if I say Scripture is sufficient and turn to a Confession or tradition as evidence. That would be hypocrisy (I would be disproving my words by my actions). But Scripture speaks of its own sufficiency.

If what is taught is not found in the Bible then it is "unbiblical". It could be true, but it is not important enough to pertain to salvation history and could not be a foundation in terms of our beliefs.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus taught from the law, the prophets,and the psalms in Luke 24.
25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

The Apostles had the OT. as scripture.2 tim3:16-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Jesus promised them they would be guided into ALL TRUTH
They were.The apostolic writings complete revelation.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Anything written in the OT was in part spoken and taught by the Holy Spirit or by Yeshua Himself...the first 5 books of the OT was written by Moses....He wrote of the events in Genesis as though he was there in person....and it couldn't have been written historical documents that Moses referred to because the flood destroyed everything. That information was given him by the Holy Spirit. All the books of the prophets are spoken by the prophet who heard it from God. Prophesy given in the OT that spoke of the life and death of Jesus was given them by the Holy Spirit....historical documents about the life and times of the people of Israel were more than likely written by man however, the events were supernaturally manifested by God.

The NT is strictly written by man under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. The 4 Gospels were written by 4 different authors....the Epistles of Paul were written by Paul....other NT books were written by various authors....the Book of Revelation is written by John which was a simple putting in writing what he witnessed for himself....but it was about what Jesus/Holy Spirit was doing.

If what is taught is not found in the Bible then it is "unbiblical". It could be true, but it is not important enough to pertain to salvation history and could not be a foundation in terms of our beliefs.
Disagree here, John, because Jesus laid the foundation that we are to build upon....everyone is building with different materials, unfortunately, but in reading the NT we are told to seek His Hidden Wisdom, to be led of the Spirit of Truth (Holy Spirit) into the deeper revelation knowledge of His Word and that we see in part and know in part but in His timing it shall be revealed all that has evaded our understanding....furthermore, there is the Mysteries of God that shall be revealed, and last but not least the little book that John ate and was told not to speak what was written until the appointed time.....

This makes the Bible complete in what He wanted us to study and learn by, but it isn't conclusive because there are the unfinished prophesies and the things I mentioned above that has to come to completion.

So what I am saying is that we will see and experience things the apostles never saw....but everything forthcoming is addressed in scripture....we just need our eyes open to see the hidden wisdom.

Am I making sense?

Reactions: Scoot

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything written in the OT was in part spoken and taught by the Holy Spirit or by Yeshua Himself...the first 5 books of the OT was written by Moses....He wrote of the events in Genesis as though he was there in person....and it couldn't have been written historical documents that Moses referred to because the flood destroyed everything. That information was given him by the Holy Spirit. All the books of the prophets are spoken by the prophet who heard it from God. Prophesy given in the OT that spoke of the life and death of Jesus was given them by the Holy Spirit....historical documents about the life and times of the people of Israel were more than likely written by man however, the events were supernaturally manifested by God.

The NT is strictly written by man under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. The 4 Gospels were written by 4 different authors....the Epistles of Paul were written by Paul....other NT books were written by various authors....the Book of Revelation is written by John which was a simple putting in writing what he witnessed for himself....but it was about what Jesus/Holy Spirit was doing.

Disagree here, John, because Jesus laid the foundation that we are to build upon....everyone is building with different materials, unfortunately, but in reading the NT we are told to seek His Hidden Wisdom, to be led of the Spirit of Truth (Holy Spirit) into the deeper revelation knowledge of His Word and that we see in part and know in part but in His timing it shall be revealed all that has evaded our understanding....furthermore, there is the Mysteries of God that shall be revealed, and last but not least the little book that John ate and was told not to speak what was written until the appointed time.....

This makes the Bible complete in what He wanted us to study and learn by, but it isn't conclusive because there are the unfinished prophesies and the things I mentioned above that has to come to completion.

So what I am saying is that we will see and experience things the apostles never saw....but everything forthcoming is addressed in scripture....we just need our eyes open to see the hidden wisdom.

Am I making sense?
You are making sense, but I still may disagree to an extent.

Here is why - we are told to "test" the spirits, to test doctrines, and to discern proper teaching. The method given is Scripture.

So it depends on what is being revealed. God does reveal truths that are not in the Bible to people - but God does not provide additional revelation in the same sense as Scripture. I think that this has to do with unveiling Scripture and applying God's Word in our lives. If I feel God told me to to do something and Scripture states that thing is wrong, then it was not from God. If, however, it "passes the test" of Scripture then I should be obedient.

I think the difference is in the context. I do agree God still reveals things to people - and certainly Scripture does not affirm itself to the non-Christian (as they do not view Scripture as that measure to begin with). But I do not believe God offers additional scripture. His revelation is complete in Christ.

I know that may sound wishy-washy, but does it make sense?

Reactions: Scoot

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are making sense, but I still may disagree to an extent.

Here is why - we are told to "test" the spirits, to test doctrines, and to discern proper teaching. The method given is Scripture.

So it depends on what is being revealed. God does reveal truths that are not in the Bible to people - but God does not provide additional revelation in the same sense as Scripture. I think that this has to do with unveiling Scripture and applying God's Word in our lives. If I feel God told me to to do something and Scripture states that thing is wrong, then it was not from God. If, however, it "passes the test" of Scripture then I should be obedient.

I think the difference is in the context. I do agree God still reveals things to people - and certainly Scripture does not affirm itself to the non-Christian (as they do not view Scripture as that measure to begin with). But I do not believe God offers additional scripture. His revelation is complete in Christ.

I know that may sound wishy-washy, but does it make sense?
There is nothing more to be taught in His Word....that is where it is complete....it is moving past the milk of the Word and onto the meat that is where many of His disciples fail....we have to seek His Truth....and for those who seek they shall find....find what? His hidden wisdom.
I am just getting to see things in Revelation that I never saw before....the Holy Spirit instructed me to study it and from the very first chapter my eyes were opened to see and understand what was hidden to me before....now do you see what I mean?

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing more to be taught in His Word....that is where it is complete....it is moving past the milk of the Word and onto the meat that is where many of His disciples fail....we have to seek His Truth....and for those who seek they shall find....find what? His hidden wisdom.
I am just getting to see things in Revelation that I never saw before....the Holy Spirit instructed me to study it and from the very first chapter my eyes were opened to see and understand what was hidden to me before....now do you see what I mean?
OK. I understand now what you are saying. I agree.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heart2Soul,

Am I making sense
?

H2S,

Paul prayed that very thing for the elect saints in Ephesus;
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory,
may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

Notice, the promises are for the saints to grow in grace and knowledge. This is why God gave us a completed revelation in scripture. 2 Tim. 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine,
or reproof,
or correction,
for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect,

thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heart2Soul,

H2S,

Paul prayed that very thing for the elect saints in Ephesus;
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory,
may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

Notice, the promises are for the saints to grow in grace and knowledge. This is why God gave us a completed revelation in scripture. 2 Tim. 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine,
or reproof,
or correction,
for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect,

thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Praise the Lord!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE SUFFICIENCY OF SCRIPTURE* John MacArthur President

On the sufficiency of Scripture, Ps 19:7-14 is the most monumental statement ever made in concise terms. Penned by David under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, it offers an unwavering testimony from God Himself about the sufficiency of His Word for every situation. It counters the teaching of those who believe that truth gleaned from modern psychology must augment God’s Word: The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether. They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them Thy servant is warned; In keeping them there is great reward. Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults. Also keep back Thy servant from presumptuous sins; Let them not rule over me; Then I shall be blameless, And I shall be acquitted of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer. With an economy of words the Holy Spirit gives us a comprehensive catalog of the characteristics and benefits of Scripture, each of which merits close investigation. In verses 7-9 David makes six statements about Scripture. Each title for Scripture includes the phrase “of the LORD.” In revealing the many-faceted general purpose of God’s Word, he calls Scripture “the law of the LORD,” “the testimony of the LORD,” “the precepts of the LORD,” “the commandment of the LORD,” “the fear of the LORD,” and “the judgments of the LORD.” In each case “LORD” translates the Hebrew Tetragrammaton %&%* (yhwh), which is the covenant name of God. Clearly David believed that Scripture proceeds from God Himself. Each of the six statements highlights a characteristic of God’s Word and describes its effect in the life of one who embraces it. Scripture Is Perfect, Restoring the Soul In the first statement (v. 7), he writes, “The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul.” The Hebrew word translated “law” is a form of the word %9I| (tôr~h), which emphasizes the didactic nature of Scripture. Here David uses it to refer to Scripture as the sum of what God has revealed for our instruction, whether it be creed (what we believe), character (what we are), or conduct (what we do). 168 The Master’s Seminary Journal 2Albert Barnes, Notes on the Old Testament: Psalms, vol. 1 (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1974) 171. “Perfect” is the translation of a common Hebrew word meaning “whole,” “complete,” or “sufficient.” It conveys the idea of something that is comprehensive, so as to cover all aspects of an issue. Commentator Albert Barnes wrote, The meaning [of “perfect”] is that [Scripture] lacks nothing [for] its completeness; nothing in order that it might be what it should be. It is complete as a revelation of Divine truth; it is complete as a rule of conduct. . . . It is absolutely true; it is adapted with consummate wisdom to the [needs] of man; it is an unerring guide of conduct. There is nothing there which would lead men into error or sin; there is nothing essential for man to know which may not be found there.

2 Scripture is comprehensive, embodying all that is necessary to one’s spiritual life. David’s implied contrast is with the imperfect, insufficient, flawed reasoning of men. God’s perfect law, David said, affects people by “restoring the soul” (v. 7). The Hebrew word translated “restoring” can mean “converting,” “reviving,” or “refreshing,” but my favorite synonym is “transforming.” The word “soul” (in Hebrew, 5G G1, nephesh) refers to one’s person, self, or heart. It is translated all those ways (and many more) in the OT. The essence of it is the inner person, the whole person, the real you. To paraphrase David’s words, Scripture is so powerful and comprehensive that it can convert or transform the entire person, changing someone into precisely the person God wants him to be. God’s Word is sufficient to restore through salvation even the most broken life—a fact to which David himself gave abundant testimony.

Peter looked to Scripture as a higher and more trustworthy authority than even such a dramatic experience. Commentator Samuel Cox has written, Peter knew a sounder basis for faith than that of signs and wonders. He had seen our Lord Jesus Christ receive honor and glory from God the Father in the holy mount; he had been dazzled and carried out of himself by visions and voices from heaven; but, nevertheless, even when his memory and heart are throbbing with recollections of that sublime scene, he says, “we have something surer still in the prophetic word.” . . . It was not the miracles of Christ by which he came to know Jesus, but the word of Christ as interpreted by the spirit of Christ.

3 Scripture is the product of God’s Spirit moving upon its human authors to produce His Word in written form (2 Pet 1:20-21). As such, it supersedes even apostolic experiences with Jesus Himself.

Perhaps that is why Jesus prevented the disciples on the Emmaus Road from recognizing Him as He “explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures” (Luke 24:27). He wanted their faith and preaching to be based on Scripture, not merely on their own personal experience—no matter how moving or memorable that experience might be.

If that was true of the apostles, how much more should believers today seek to know God’s Word rather than seeking supernatural or ecstatic experiences. Experience can be counterfeited easily, but not Scripture. It is once-for-all delivered!

https://www.tms.edu/m/tmsj15g.pdf

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pt2;
ers. What an enormous privilege to possess the Word of truth! Because Scripture is true, it is “righteous altogether” (Ps 19:9). The implication of that phrase is that its truthfulness produces a comprehensive righteousness in those who accept it. And because it is a complete and exhaustive source of truth and righteousness, we are forbidden to add to it, take from it, or distort it in any way (Deut 4:2; 2 Pet 3:15-16; Rev 22:18-19). In Psalm 119 David gives further testimony to the righteous sufficiency of Scripture: Forever, O LORD, Thy word is settled in heaven. I esteem right all Thy precepts concerning everything, I hate every false way. Righteous art Thou, O LORD, And upright are Thy judgments. Thou hast commanded Thy testimonies in righteousness And exceeding faithfulness. Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And Thy law is truth. The sum of Thy word is truth, And every one of Thy righteous ordinances is everlasting (vv. 89, 128, 137-38, 142, 160).

Contrary to what many are teaching today, there is no need for additional The Sufficiency of Scripture 173 revelations, visions, or words of prophecy. In contrast to the theories of men, God’s Word is true and absolutely comprehensive. Rather than seeking something more than God’s glorious revelation, Christians need only to study and obey what they already have!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for [1] doctrine, for [2] reproof, for [3] correction, for [4] instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
This passage from 2 Timothy 3:16,17 sums up the sufficiency of Scripture for every spiritual need. And one should understand "profitable" as meaning "necessary".

In order to arrive at this conclusion for ourselves, we need to be believe in (1) the inspiration, (2) the inerrancy, (3) the infallibility, and (4) the authority of Scripture. For Christ, the Hebrew Tanakh (called "the holy Scriptures" by Paul) was totally authoritative, but it was so even for His hearers. The Palestinian Jews regarded their Tanakh as the Word of God, and its sufficiency was spelled out in Psalm 119.

The word translated as "inspiration" above is the Greek word θεόπνευστος (theopneustos) which literally means "God-breathed". God breathed the Holy Scriptures into the Prophets, Evangelists, and Apostles. Therefore every word is a word of God (as well as a word of man). And that is what Christ said in Matthew 4:4.

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This passage from 2 Timothy 3:16,17 sums up the sufficiency of Scripture for every spiritual need. And one should understand "profitable" as meaning "necessary".

In order to arrive at this conclusion for ourselves, we need to be believe in (1) the inspiration, (2) the inerrancy, (3) the infallibility, and (4) the authority of Scripture. For Christ, the Hebrew Tanakh (called "the holy Scriptures" by Paul) was totally authoritative, but it was so even for His hearers. The Palestinian Jews regarded their Tanakh as the Word of God, and its sufficiency was spelled out in Psalm 119.

The word translated as "inspiration" above is the Greek word θεόπνευστος (theopneustos) which literally means "God-breathed". God breathed the Holy Scriptures into the Prophets, Evangelists, and Apostles. Therefore every word is a word of God (as well as a word of man). And that is what Christ said in Matthew 4:4.
I agree.

I have actually seen people on another board defend the sufficiency of Scripture by quoting Confessions, commentaries, and pastors. We had a member (long gone) who would answer everything with a "Way of the Master" quote or a statement from John MacArthur. I thought "how stupid". He was in practice rejecting what he was claiming to be true.

But you hit the nail right on the head. Scripture affirms it's own sufficiency. And that was the passage I would have used as well.

We have to test doctrine against Scripture (objectively...against what is written, not against whatever someone thinks it "teaches" or implies). I tell people if it is an essential doctrine then they should be able to state the doctrine itself via Bible verses (highlight the exact words they believe). The more important the doctrine the more it should be expressed in Scripture.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He continues here;
Scripture has not failed them—they have failed Scripture. Many have never learned to let the Word of Christ richly dwell within them, as Paul instructs in Col 3:16. They have treated Scripture in a cursory way and never plumbed its depths. Their sinful neglect inevitably bears the fruit of doctrinal confusion and spiritual impotence. Because they never disciplined themselves to live according to biblical principles, they are now abandoning Scripture for worldly alternatives.

They turn to 174 The Master’s Seminary Journal psychoanalysis to solve their problems, to science to explain the origin of life, to philosophy to explain the meaning of life, and to sociology to explain why they sin. Churches, schools, and seminaries have thus made themselves vulnerable to the influence of such teachings. In Ps 19:11 David concludes his hymn on the sufficiency of Scripture: “Moreover, by [Thy judgments] Thy servant is warned; / In keeping them there is great reward.”

The warnings of Scripture help to protect against temptation, sin, error, foolishness, false teachers, and every other threat to our spiritual well-being.

And to heed those warnings brings great reward. It is not a material prize; the Hebrew word for “reward” speaks of a spiritual blessing, not temporal riches. It is the settled joy and rest that come to those who live by God’s Word. There is no substitute for submission to Scripture. Your spiritual health depends on placing the utmost value on the Word of God and obeying it with an eager heart. If you think you can find answers to your spiritual problems through human counsel or worldly wisdom, you are forfeiting the most valuable and only reliable source of answers to the human dilemma. Do not relinquish the sweet, satisfying riches of God’s Word for the bitter gall of this world’s folly. David ended this psalm by praying, “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart / Be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer” (v. 14). How can we be assured of having such acceptable thoughts and meditations? Joshua 1:8 gives us the answer and the results: “This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, solid post here.That passage stands above several others.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the best things we can do for misguided persons is to point them to solid confessions of faith, trusted guides who are proven in the ministry to preach and teach as Paul said, the Whole Counsel of God.
Acts20:
25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.

26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.

27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Paul warns them about these spiritually perverted wolves, who believe they know more than everyone else...you know, the whole church has it wrong. Instead, he directs the believers to submit to the teaching and preaching of the elders.

False teachers hate and despise such teachers and commentaries, and confessions of faith. The reason is their error and novelties get exposed by the light of the truth being opened up!

The 1689 confession of faith highlights the scriptures as primary and indeed crucial to our sanctification.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[Those who go outside of the scriptural protection drift into a "Christian fantasy world of imagination, and not reality" This danger is common in these times we live in.

When people turn away from scripture they replace it with something else.

1] emotional feelings

2] failed theologies

3]imaginging they are receiving new revelation

4]joining a cult

5] not joining a bible teaching and preaching church

6] not reading commentaries by godly teachers

7]trusting in dreams as a source

8] personal experiences over scripture
And yet those who put scripture first are just as deceived as everyone else, because they wont put He is is the truth first.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet those who put scripture first are just as deceived as everyone else, because they wont put He is is the truth first.
That is true. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Scripture is not given to the world but to God's people. The first criteria is to put Him first.

This failure explains the positions of a few people. Christianity is not knowing about Christ but knowing Him.

We must point these people not to Confessions or to commentators but to Christ and God's Word (in that order). Any fool can pick a Confession to hitch his or her wagon or a teacher to follow. In the end it is only self-worship. But Christians follow Christ and Scripture is their authority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy