Sugar coating hell - the bitter pill

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first line of the OP. (post #1)
"Eternal separation from God." (whatever that means to you)"

That's the "sugar-coating". The bitter pill is more like...
Eternal conscious torment with no hope of escape. (the forever-burning hell)

/

I get it now. What do you purpose God does with them?

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get it now. What do you purpose God does with them?
Great question, thanks!
... Mercy triumphs over judgment. - James 2:13 NIV

Forgiveness and reconciliation is the ultimate triumph of Grace. As with us, so with all people.

I believe there will be an age of judgement in which every individual, nation, and leader will answer for their deeds.
But the reason for this judgement will NOT be for senseless punishment, but rather for restoration.

At the end of this age of restoration and redemption, all things and all persons will be renewed and remade.

That would be the short version. Much more to say about this, obviously.
But you may have some immediate questions, which I would be happy to attempt to address.

Or, check out my forum topics on the history of Apokatastasis (the restoration of all things).

Apokatastasis in the Bible

I thought Apokatastasis was only a theological term from the early church. Now I come to find out that it is in the Bible as a word in the NT Greek text. Thanks to my good friend and dear brother @Chadrho for pointing it out. Here it is. Acts 3:21 NIV Heaven must receive him until the time...

Apokatastasis in the early church

When many hear about Apokatastasis (the restoration of all things), Universalism, Christian Universalism, Universal Restoration, Universal Reconciliation, Universal Redemption, UR... There is an assumption that this is a new idea. Something modern liberal theologians cooked up. Not so...

/

Last edited:

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hell is a place in Norse mythology, where the invalorous dead go, awaiting Ragnarok.

The Biblical translators honestly screwed up by using this word. Doing so incorporated some paganism that didn't need to be there. Also, they used it to translate several words - Hades, Gehenna, & Tartarus - and they aren't all the same place, so the translation is confusing.

• Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hell is a place in Norse mythology, where the invalorous dead go, awaiting Ragnarok.

The Biblical translators honestly screwed up by using this word. Doing so incorporated some paganism that didn't need to be there. Also, they used it to translate several words - Hades, Gehenna, & Tartarus - and they aren't all the same place, so the translation is confusing.
Those are great points.
As a move to correct this error, many translations no longer include the word hell at all.
Beginning as early as the year 1798 with Scarlett's N.T.

Bibles and New Testaments that do NOT contain the word "Hell".

Scarlett's N.T. (1798)
The New Testament in Greek and English (Kneeland, 1823)
Young's Literal Translation (1891)
Twentieth Century New Testament (1900)
Rotherham's Emphasized Bible (reprinted, 1902)
Fenton's Holy Bible in Modern English (1903)
Weymouth's New Testament in Modern Speech (1903)
The New Testament, James Moffat, (1917)
Jewish Publication Society Bible Old Testament (1917)
Panin's Numeric English New Testament (1914)
The New Testament, Charles B. Williams, 1937
The People's New Covenant (Overbury, 1925)
Hanson's New Covenant (1884)
Western N.T. (1926)
NT of our Lord and Savior Anointed (Tomanek, 1958)
Concordant Literal NT (1983)
he N.T., A Translation (Clementson, 1938)
Emphatic Diaglott, Greek/English Interlinear (Wilson, 1942)
New American Bible (1970)
Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible (1976)
Tanakh, The Holy Scriptures, Old Testament (1985)
The New Testament, A New Translation (Greber, 1980)
Christian Bible (1991)
The Scriptures (1993)
World English Bible (in progress)
Orthodox Jewish Brit Chadasha [NT Only]
Original Bible Project (Dr. James Tabor, still in translation)
Zondervan Parallel N.T. in Greek and English (1975)**
Int. NASB-NIV Parallel N.T. in Greek and English (1993)**
A Critical Paraphrase of the N.T. by Vincent T. Roth (1960)
New Testament, Recovery Version, Living Stream Ministry, 1991
New American Bible Revised Edition (NABRE)
Roman Catholic Holy Bible In Its Original Order, Fred R. Coulter, 2007
Etymological N.T. (An Ultra Literal Translation, 2011, Michael Wine)
Aramaic Peshitta New Testament, 2006, Janet M. Magiera
MirrorWord N.T. (Francois du Toit) still in translation
Victorious Gospel of Jesus Christ, Electronic Ver. (Tentmaker Ministries)
The Source N.T. (Dr. Ann Nyland), 2004, 2007
Jonathan Mitchell N.T. (Jonathan Mitchell) 2009
The Scriptures, 2016
Tree of Life Version, Baker Bookhouse, 2016******
The New Testament (David Bentley Hart) Yale University Press, 2017

/

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question, thanks!
... Mercy triumphs over judgment. - James 2:13 NIV

Forgiveness and reconciliation is the ultimate triumph of Grace. As with us, so with all people.

I believe there will be an age of judgement in which every individual, nation, and leader will answer for their deeds.
But the reason for this judgement will NOT be for senseless punishment, but rather for restoration.

At the end of this age of restoration and redemption, all things and all persons will be renewed and remade.

That would be the short version. Much more to say about this, obviously.
But you may have some immediate questions, which I would be happy to attempt to address.

Or, check out my forum topics on the history of Apokatastasis (the restoration of all things).

Apokatastasis in the Bible

I thought Apokatastasis was only a theological term from the early church. Now I come to find out that it is in the Bible as a word in the NT Greek text. Thanks to my good friend and dear brother @Chadrho for pointing it out. Here it is. Acts 3:21 NIV Heaven must receive him until the time...

Apokatastasis in the early church

When many hear about Apokatastasis (the restoration of all things), Universalism, Christian Universalism, Universal Restoration, Universal Reconciliation, Universal Redemption, UR... There is an assumption that this is a new idea. Something modern liberal theologians cooked up. Not so...

/

Univeraslism then? Would take include Satan and Hitler? What if someone doesn't want to be reconciled?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Univeraslism then?
Yes, in short. But...
Christian Universalism.
Also known as Universal Restoration, Universal Reconciliation, and Ultimate Redemption. (UR)
Not Unitarian Universalism.

Would take include Satan and Hitler?
Yes. But no one gets off without answering for and dealing with their wrongs.

What if someone doesn't want to be reconciled?
That's a popular concern, but it won't really be a choice.
Every knee will bow and every tongue confess. (but not forcibly)
Everyone is already redeemed. We won't be tempted to rebel at that point.

/

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a popular concern, but it won't really be a choice.
Every knee will bow and every tongue confess. (but not forcibly)
Everyone is already redeemed. We won't be tempted to rebel at that point.

This would seem to negate free will and remove personal accountability for one's wrongs. Answering for wrongs is not the same as paying for them. That would mean someone like Hitler got away with murder.

It would also lessen Christ's work on the cross. If everyone is saved at the end, what was the point of it? And what is the point of preaching forgiveness of sin and salvation if everyone is saved at the end?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More good questions, thanks.
I hope I am up to the task. But some of these are toughies.
This would seem to negate free will and remove personal accountability for one's wrongs. Answering for wrongs is not the same as paying for them. That would mean someone like Hitler got away with murder.
Free will is highly questionable anyway. Can anyone come to God unless he draws them? (nope)
What about free will then?

Jesus taught that we would be better off going into the afterlife without that eye or hand that makes us sin.
So, it sounds like there will be considerable consequences. But again, the goal will be reconciliation, and restoration.
I would say for BOTH the perpetrator and the victim.

It would also lessen Christ's work on the cross.
No, I don't think that is the case.

If everyone is saved at the end, what was the point of it?
Indeed.
But the flip side of that is what if the majority WASN'T saved?
What would be the point of that?

Did Jesus die to save us from God? And only a few of us?
That seems pointless.

And what is the point of preaching forgiveness of sin and salvation if everyone is saved at the end?
The point, which seems to escape many Christians, is that there is value in a relationship with God in the here and now.
It's not ALL about the end.

/ @Hillsage

Reactions: Hillsage

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have gone through a lot to get back to the beginning if that makes sense. I had to prove everything out to myself going by every reference in the bible so I could be assured.

Some of the very first things that come out on this subject when looking at our most used medium, the web, is there are different views on it but most of the more fringe views come from the more fringe belief systems i.e. th Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witnesses etc. These veer from truth. These groups don't always overtly identify themselves online. I suggest using the blue letter bible as an online resource which is free and breaks things down into the original languages.

It's been a trend to take a word translated as hell from the greek languages that really means garbage dump or similar, and then apply that line of thought to ALL passages. The only problem with it is it doesn't work out using that with all passages dealing with the final resting place of the lost/unsaved. If we have gotten to the place where the bible only means what we individually think it means we are in big trouble.

The subject has to be navigated well using all passages and references which incidentally may not expressly say "hell" but be referring to the eternal place of torment. We don't interpret bible using emotion and what we think feels right. I believe we should wholly use the logic the Lord has given us. If it doesn't "sit well", we can't attempt to change the meaning of the text on emotions.

There IS a place for the wicked unrepentent. Is it eternal? The bible says it is. Are the souls going into it eternal? The bible say souls can be destroyed, but that destruction points to it being an eternal destruction.
Something I picked up from, I think it was the Targum of Jonathan, one of the Targums anyway, in Isaiah,

Isaiah 66:24 KJV
And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

The understanding that was given was that this "worm" that does not die refers to the remains of the man whom God has destroyed, which, in looking at how this is spoken of, can equally mean "ruined", like Jeremiah's sash that he left under a rock at the river's edge.

That really put a perspective onto Jesus' soliloquy from the cross:

Psalms 22:6 KJV
But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

It's not just colorful language, Jesus was speaking with precision as He received God's judgment in my stead.

Much love!

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Free will is highly questionable anyway. Can anyone come to God unless he draws them? (nope)
What about free will then?

Without free will there's no such thing as love. Love by it's very nature can't be forced or coerced. God wanted a human family that would freely love Him and that requires a choice. In Christian Universalism, that choice is taken away. If there is no free will then we are just puppets in God's divine play.

Indeed.
But the flip side of that is what if the majority WASN'T saved?
What would be the point of that?

Did Jesus die to save us from God? And only a few of us?
That seems pointless.

Jesus died to save everyone, but not everyone is going to be saved. Again, I think this comes down to free will. There will always be those who want nothing to do with God. So, what is He to do with them? There's only two options: Either seperate them from those that do or force them to submit to Him. The latter would be required for universalism.

The point, which seems to escape many Christians, is that there is value in a relationship with God in the here and now.
It's not ALL about the end.

Sure there is, but there's also eternity to consider.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without free will there's no such thing as love. Love by it's very nature can't be forced or coerced. God wanted a human family that would freely love Him and that requires a choice. In Christian Universalism, that choice is taken away. If there is no free will then we are just puppets in God's divine play.
This is common church teaching that has no basis in reality.
"God wanted a human family that would freely love Him and that requires a choice." Can never be fulfilled.
We hate God (as proved by our actions) but he still loves us. No matter what.
Human will has no power to stop God's love.

Jesus died to save everyone, but not everyone is going to be saved. Again, I think this comes down to free will. There will always be those who want nothing to do with God. So, what is He to do with them? There's only two options: Either seperate them from those that do or force them to submit to Him. The latter would be required for universalism.
Anyone who claims they don't want God hasn't met him yet.

Sure there is, but there's also eternity to consider.
Eternity is taken care of. What counts is now.

/

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus was not just God, He was God "crucified".

The importance of this, as regards Hell, is that the experience of Hell, is not just Hell + experience of torment, Jesus is ready to exchange that torment. If Jesus is ready to exchange the torment, then the torment has an end. The point is if all torment has an end, then so does Hell.

So you can say, Hell + torment is God's judgment, but He made a way out, even as Jesus said "it being better that you were not born, if you betray Me" that is, if you reject that exchange. Jesus limits God's Judgment, that we might be free of Hell. We need to embrace the exchange, before it is too late.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was not just God, He was God "crucified".

The importance of this, as regards Hell, is that the experience of Hell, is not just Hell + experience of torment, Jesus is ready to exchange that torment. If Jesus is ready to exchange the torment, then the torment has an end. The point is if all torment has an end, then so does Hell.

So you can say, Hell + torment is God's judgment, but He made a way out, even as Jesus said "it being better that you were not born, if you betray Me" that is, if you reject that exchange. Jesus limits God's Judgment, that we might be free of Hell. We need to embrace the exchange, before it is too late.
Those are some novel thoughts. Thanks.

/

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Eternal separation from God." (whatever that means to you)

A follow-up to the previous topic:

The changing perception of hell. - How do you define it?

The hell doctrine has always been "the fly in the ointment" for me.
Being raised evangelical, I was fine with all of it, (didn't know any better) except the hell doctrine.
The glitch in the Matrix. "You've been down that road. You know where it ends."

Even very by-the-book Christians are modifying their views on hell, or the afterlife.
As the previous trend for fire-and-brimstone preaching has all but gone the way of the dinosaur.
Leaning toward a more personalized stance on "eternal separation from God". (whatever that means to you)

- What's your definition of hell?
- How do you see the final judgment playing out?
- Will everyone be saved in the end?
- Will the Lord who taught us to love our enemies incinerate his?

/
There is no place of literal eternal suffering. It was symbolism.
Gods justice scales alone prove it-- He taught all perfect justice= An eye for an eye-his justice scales are perfect, uncorruptable. Lets apply those scales toa literal eternal suffering
On one side-70-100 years of an unrepented sinful life---- On the other side-trillions x trillions x trillions of never ending years of punishment= an eye for a gazillion eyes= not the true Gods justice.
As well a single NT teaching on the matter proves symbolism--A place where the worm dieth not Mark 9:48)--No worm in existence could survive an hour in a hot firey place let alone dieth not.
The true God actually set before all-Deut 30:19= LIFE or DEATH)---- both will be eternal.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true God actually set before all-Deut 30:19= LIFE or DEATH)---- both will be eternal.
Thanks for your post.
Do you think their could be spiritual life and death, aside from physical life and death?
Which kind is referred to in Deut 30:19 ?

/

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your post.
Do you think their could be spiritual life and death, aside from physical life and death?
Which kind is referred to in Deut 30:19 ?

/
The only ones who are promised heaven, to be spirit beings are the little flock( Luke 12:16)-These are the anointed bride of Christ=144,000 are bought from the earth=numbered.( Rev 14:3)
The great crowd which no man can number( Rev 7:9) = The other sheep( John 10:16) who are not of that fold----- not of( little flock)--These are promised the earth-Matt 5:5, Psalm 37:29, Prov 2:21-22
The lake of fire= eternal destruction.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only ones who are promised heaven, to be spirit beings are the little flock( Luke 12:16)-These are the anointed bride of Christ=144,000 are bought from the earth=numbered.( Rev 14:3)
The great crowd which no man can number( Rev 7:9) = The other sheep( John 10:16) who are not of that fold----- not of( little flock)--These are promised the earth-Matt 5:5, Psalm 37:29, Prov 2:21-22
The lake of fire= eternal destruction.
Where's the good news in that?

/

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where's the good news in that?

/
The good news is-Under Gods kingdom rule= No more satan influences, no more-war, hate, greed, immorality, disease, sickness, starvation--all the way down the line--Gods kingdom is a cure all. Mortals living young forever, loved ones resurrected and given a second chance to gain life everlasting. All one united human family under Jehovah and his son. All motives of mortal hearts will be out of love, not seeking profit. All of Gods creatures living in harmony-Isaiah 11--surely great news for the earth and heaven.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There will certainly be BILLIONS in the "everlasting fire" that Jesus warned us about.

Mt 7 Narrow is the way that leads to life and FEW there be who find it.