The changing perception of hell. - How do you define it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even very by-the-book Christians are modifying their views on hell, or the afterlife.
As the previous trend for fire-and-brimstone preaching has all but gone the way of the dinosaur.
Leaning toward a more personalized stance on "eternal separation from God". (whatever that means to you)

- What's your definition of hell?
- How do you see the final judgment playing out?
- Will everyone be saved in the end?
- Will the Lord who taught us to love our enemies incinerate his?

This video presents three views. Which view do you resonate with?

- Damnationism
- Annihilationism
- Universalism

/

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I resonate with God-is-good-ism.

God knows better than I, what people deserve and how they should be judged.

God is more merciful and compassionate than I would be in His role.

God is also the only One with the power to give people what they truly deserve.

God is the only One with the knowledge, mercy and power to judge people fairly and accurately.

I like the idea muslims have of hell being a rehabilitation center rather than a final destination.

But ultimately the fate of us all is in God's hands.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1) What's your definition of hell?
2) How do you see the final judgment playing out?
3) Will everyone be saved in the end?
4) Will the Lord who taught us to love our enemies incinerate his?

/

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to really be into self-promotion . . .

Anyway, to your OP . . .

Yet another universalism thread, making God a liar.

Revelation 20:11-15 KJV
11) And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

While you've asked about "hell", I've answered with the lake of fire, the second death. You do well to heed the Scriptures.

No one has any perceptions of hell, no one alive has been there. But many like to ignore the fact that God will judge sinner, and all who are not alive in Christ will be dead forever.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to really be into self-promotion . . .
I do it as a public service announcement. - LOL
Look at all the interest in that thread. The proof is in the pudding.

While you've asked about "hell", I've answered with the lake of fire, the second death. You do well to heed the Scriptures.

No one has any perceptions of hell, no one alive has been there. But many like to ignore the fact that God will judge sinner, and all who are not alive in Christ will be dead forever.
Consider this.

Edom was an ancient kingdom in Transjordan located between Moab to the northeast, the Arabah to the west and the Arabian Desert to the south and east. Most of its former territory is now divided between Israel and Jordan.

The destruction of Edom uses the same exaggerated language descriptions as hell in the Bible. Yet none of it lasted forever as it clearly says. And you can certainly pass through it today. For this prophecy to be taken literally it would need to be a smoking tar pit today with a bypass to get around it. Compare verse ten below. (Revelation 14:11)

Isaiah 34:8-11 For the Lord has a day of vengeance, a year of retribution, to uphold Zion’s cause. 9 Edom’s streams will be turned into pitch, her dust into burning sulfur; her land will become blazing pitch! 10 It will not be quenched night or day; its smoke will rise forever. From generation to generation it will lie desolate; no one will ever pass through it again. 11 The desert owl and screech owl will possess it; the great owl and the raven will nest there. God will stretch out over Edom the measuring line of chaos and the plumb line of desolation.

/

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even very by-the-book Christians are modifying their views on hell, or the afterlife.
As the previous trend for fire-and-brimstone preaching has all but gone the way of the dinosaur.
Leaning toward a more personalized stance on "eternal separation from God". (whatever that means to you)

- Damnationism
- Annihilationism
- Universalism

/
I define "hell" as the consequence of our sin. For example, if you rob a bank, you go to prison.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I define "hell" as the consequence of our sin. For example, if you rob a bank, you go to prison.
Yes, and I suppose those in prison would characterize it as hell.

We are all sinners. Does everyone get the consequence?
Maybe we skipped a step in the process? (like judgement)

And what about the consequence? Prison with no opportunity of parole?
Hell with no hope of release, restoration, or recovery?

/

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and I suppose those in prison would characterize it as hell.

We are all sinners. Does everyone get the consequence?
Maybe we skipped a step in the process? (like judgement)

And what about the consequence? Prison with no opportunity of parole?
Hell with no hope of release, restoration, or recovery?

/
You say we are all sinners, but Jesus told us to repent (Matthew 4:17). Was he asking the impossible?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The changing perception of hell. - How do you define it?

Define ?
A separation FROM God and Life.

Perception ?
According to When and How God made / makes changes.

Paradise defines a place by where the “Tree of Life” is Present.

Gods Garden “WAS” Paradise.
A portion of Hell “WAS” Paradise.
A portion of Heaven “IS” Paradise.
ON Earth “Shall Be” Paradise.

God has from the beginning and ancient days, DIVIDED the Heavens, Earth, Darkness, Light, Directions (Up, Down, North, South, East, West, In, Out,), Above, Below, With, Without, Yes, No, Truth, Lies, on and one.

God has ALSO established Barriers betwix things He Divided.

Inanutshell, It is Particular Barriers an Individual CAN NOT Cross, “without” the Power of God. Or otherwise, an individual CAN Cross Particular Barriers “with” the Power of God.

The barrier betwix the Dust of the Earth (surface, face of the Earth) and Hell is a mixture of Dirt, Rock, Stone, Pebbles, Shale, Ice, Minerals, Ores, Gems, Water.

In Hell, “WAS” the Tree of Life, Comfort, Peace, Rest OF bodily departed FAITHFUL and SAVED Living souls;
Separated FROM:
Bodily departed UN and NON Faithful, UnSaved, Living souls; without the Tree of Life, IN Discomfort, duress, agony, unbearable heat, unbearable stench, unbearable sounds, unbearable sights, without a means of relief.

One from the other…Faithful / non-un-Faithful WERE separated by a Great Gulf of Water, which one from either side could not pass over or thru the Gulf to the other side.

The Tree of Life (Paradise) is NO LONGER situated IN any portion of Hell FOR departed Faithful souls to occupy such space.

There is as well IN Hell, a Lake of Fire that continuously Burns, will never extinguish, that was established for Unfaithful created spirits called fallen angels, which once “fallen angels are sent there” it is their permanent estate, with no escape.

There is as well IN Hell, a PIT, that was established for a Temporary holding location for “fallen angels” that are only released, by, through, of the authority God.

The Lake of Fire, can not “consume”, “burn up” Spirits that were created to Live forever.

The Lake of Fire, can and will “consume” “burn up” …
All created men (body’s complete parts thereof void of it’s life which is blood) having it’s Name Blotted out of Gods Book of Life,, Not having it’s Name Recorded IN the Lambs Book of Life, souls void of Gods Breath, wicked empires (governments of men), evil empires (governing of fallen angels), man-made things, structures, inventions, Death, etc. that were NOT glorifying to God….ALL cast into the Lake of Fire FOR eternal Destruction…..
Unfaithful men, pain, diseases, sorrow, death, etc. all to become forgotten.

The memory OF NOT WITH God, (the particulars of WHO…forgotten), IS a continual SMOKE rising up from the Lake of Fire.

(Perhaps to be a “spiritual” sight-seeing place….eh, who knows).

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say we are all sinners, but Jesus told us to repent (Matthew 4:17). Was he asking the impossible?

No.

Some are Forgiven sinners, waiting for their “sinless” glorified body to be “manifested”, ie raised up.

Many are UN-forgiven sinners, not yet ready to become Forgiven … some not yet even naturally born…. Some simply in waiting to die in their sins and then wait for their “day of Judgement”.

Glory to God,
Taken

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

- Damnationism
- Annihilationism
- Universalism

/
Well, it got distorted by the Greek pagan thought that was brought into the church and other ideas that weren't from the Bible. So we have to read Gods Word not just blindly follow what others tell us or say, we must look for the truth from the scriptures.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

Some are Forgiven sinners, waiting for their “sinless” glorified body to be “manifested”, ie raised up.

Many are UN-forgiven sinners, not yet ready to become Forgiven … some not yet even naturally born…. Some simply in waiting to die in their sins and then wait for their “day of Judgement”.

Glory to God,
Taken
Jesus commanded us to repent (Matthew 4:17). I believe that means we are supposed to stop sinning, as opposed to merely feeling bad bout our sin. Some people say it is impossible to stop sinning. I don't think Jesus would ask us to do the impossible.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus commanded us to repent (Matthew 4:17). I believe that means we are supposed to stop sinning, as opposed to merely feeling bad bout our sin. Some people say it is impossible to stop sinning. I don't think Jesus would ask us to do the impossible.

I suppose that would depend on what you Believe “SIN” is.

God Bless you,
Taken

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose that would depend on what you Believe “SIN” is.

God Bless you,
Taken
Yes, I think it's important to define "sin." How can we not sin when we don't know what sin is? And it seems to me repenting of our sin is key.

The Bible speaks of commandments, statutes, decrees, testimonies, and ordinances. I believe a sin is when we break a commandment. Some people think if you break a commandment, statute, decree, testimony or ordinance, you've sinned. They point out how there are hundreds of these and conclude it's impossible not to sin.

But I think sin is when we break a commandment. The next thing to do is to define "commandment," perhaps.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I think it's important to define "sin." How can we not sin when we don't know what sin is? And it seems to me repenting of our sin is key.

Agree.

The Bible speaks of commandments, statutes, decrees, testimonies, and ordinances.

As well as “precepts and laws, and traditions and customs, and when, who, why and what you mentioned and I expounded “applies”.

[QUOTE}I believe a sin is when we break a commandment. [/QUOTE]

I Believe SIN is NON-Belief (never having Believed) and UN-Belief (believed then stopped Believing) IN the Lord God Almighty.

In short….AGAINST the Lord God Almighty, that ONLY He can Forgive.

Some people think if you break a commandment, statute, decree, testimony or ordinance, you've sinned. They point out how there are hundreds of these and conclude it's impossible not to sin.

Some people BELIEVE “sin” is man against man, and thus as you pointed out, pretty much any “disagreement” between men, can flare a list of so called sin and accusations and blah, blah, blah.

Bottom LINE….
Never does Scripture teach men to BELIEVE IN men.
Scripture EXPRESSLY teaches TWO prominate things….between A man and God, which IS:
1) For the man to BELIEVE IN the Lord God
And a man who Desires to have a surety to Forever BE WITH God….then.
2) the man CONFESSES his TRUE (heartful) BELIEF IN the Lord God…
( Not over-looking repentance as well as Hearing, Reading,, Learning About God etc.)

But I think sin is when we break a commandment. The next thing to do is to define "commandment," perhaps.

I think BELIEF IN the Lord God Almighty is Key.

As far as manKIND and manKIND relationships….cheating, lying, stealing, 0wing and not paying, blah, blah….are all Trespasses of men against men.
Sometimes “intentional”.
Sometimes “without intent”.

The US founders, established a Federation of several individual sovereign states, under the umbrella of a FIXED and LIMITING Constitution, BASED on Biblical Standards and Principles….recognizing the Year of our Lord AS the official year for men who take ORAL Oaths and Sign their signature according to such DATE timeline as they Pledge their Oath by their Word to Uphold the LIMITING US Constitution of FIXED Standards and Principles…”including” Trespassing behaviors between men, and sad to say, LAME (a feather tap) consequences, (as well as LAME consequences for theft).
Yet there IS NO “official” religion in the US.

Glory to God,
Taken

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.

As well as “precepts and laws, and traditions and customs, and when, who, why and what you mentioned and I expounded “applies”.

[QUOTE}I believe a sin is when we break a commandment.

I Believe SIN is NON-Belief (never having Believed) and UN-Belief (believed then stopped Believing) IN the Lord God Almighty.

In short….AGAINST the Lord God Almighty, that ONLY He can Forgive.

Some people BELIEVE “sin” is man against man, and thus as you pointed out, pretty much any “disagreement” between men, can flare a list of so called sin and accusations and blah, blah, blah.

Bottom LINE….
Never does Scripture teach men to BELIEVE IN men.
Scripture EXPRESSLY teaches TWO prominate things….between A man and God, which IS:
1) For the man to BELIEVE IN the Lord God
And a man who Desires to have a surety to Forever BE WITH God….then.
2) the man CONFESSES his TRUE (heartful) BELIEF IN the Lord God…
( Not over-looking repentance as well as Hearing, Reading,, Learning About God etc.)

I think BELIEF IN the Lord God Almighty is Key.

As far as manKIND and manKIND relationships….cheating, lying, stealing, 0wing and not paying, blah, blah….are all Trespasses of men against men.
Sometimes “intentional”.
Sometimes “without intent”.

The US founders, established a Federation of several individual sovereign states, under the umbrella of a FIXED and LIMITING Constitution, BASED on Biblical Standards and Principles….recognizing the Year of our Lord AS the official year for men who take ORAL Oaths and Sign their signature according to such DATE timeline as they Pledge their Oath by their Word to Uphold the LIMITING US Constitution of FIXED Standards and Principles…”including” Trespassing behaviors between men, and sad to say, LAME (a feather tap) consequences, (as well as LAME consequences for theft).
Yet there IS NO “official” religion in the US.

Glory to God,
Taken
[/QUOTE]
Each one of us is on a different path. What works for me might not work for you.

What are the commandments?

Jeremiah 31:33 explains my experience, in my walk with the Lord. Here, God says this (Revised Standard Version):

But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

This explains my experience perfectly. Over a period of time, the Lord showed me, one at a time, sins I was committing. And when I repented, I reaped the benefits - peace of mind.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each one of us is on a different path. What works for me might not work for you.

I don’t believe “multiple paths”, but moreso different Distances.

What are the commandments?

Matt 22:
[35] Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.
[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jeremiah 31:33 explains my experience, in my walk with the Lord. Here, God says this (Revised Standard Version):

But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

This explains my experience perfectly. Over a period of time, the Lord showed me, one at a time, sins I was committing. And when I repented, I reaped the benefits - peace of mind.

I know that which I have done to Accept Gods Offering, and Trust He is Faithful and True.
The works He has Done within me, Seals me (Keeps me unto Him forever).
I can SIN “no more”, (never again NOT Believe, Never Able to Stand Against God)
Because of Gods Truth (Gods Word Jesus) IN me, and Gods Seed (Christ) IN me, and Gods Power (Christ) IN me.

1 John 3:
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Can I trespass Against other men?
Sure. I do not know ALL things.
If my vehicle hits another intentionally or accidentally, I have trespassed against the owner and other possible occupants of that other vehicle. My responsibility to remedy that trespass.

Glory to God,
Taken

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe “multiple paths”, but moreso different Distances.
In that case, what works for me ought to work for you. Walk with the Lord. He will show you, one by one, what changes he wants you to make. Jeremiah 31:33 should help explain what he is doing.