Teaching on FEAR?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
What has the Lord taught you about fear?

I had a dream the other night. There was a baby cow that looked like a baby pig, laying in a hospital bed upright like a person. It was crying and moving his head from side to side. All of a sudden a gun was pointed to the side of its head. As the cow made eye contact with the gun, it froze in terror. Then the same actions followed with a second baby cow and it too froze as it made eye contact with the gun. Then there was a third baby cow, however, when it made eye contact with the gun it it wasn't filled with terror. So I said, "Its not afraid..". And idk who but somebody told me in response,"Yes it has no fear. You either give out fear or let it grip you.". End dream

Then the message that day was about focusing our eyes on Jesus and to not let fear prevent you from doing so.

Then my friend gave me a scripture this morning about having no fear.

I am scheduled to lead my high school bible club in a message next monday so I am researching more on fear because God has been pointing me to it so much withing these last couple days.

I would like any insights you have on the subject of fear.

Could anyone also expand on the fear of God and 2Tim1:7 how we are not given a spirit of fear.

Fear is a vital response to physical and emotional danger—if we didn't feel it, we couldn't protect ourselves from legitimate threats. But often we fear situations that are far from life-or-death, and thus hang back for no good reason.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It is a great encouragement when God shows his sovereignty and love. I have been instrumental in him demonstrating this to others before.

God is sovereign, he is in control. He loves us, and shows mercy to us because of his graciousness.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 12:4-5
"I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

Fear of the Lord is healthy and promoted. We fear Him because we believe He is just. As we are imperfect, our lives reflect our imperfection in regards to love for God and others. Often we put ourselves first in our decisions not living for God but living for ourselves. Look to this Scripture in 2 Corinthians 5.

9So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. 11Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience.

To fear the Lord is to respect Him and His judgment and to not be at ease with our sin and shortcomings in respect to loving God and others. Keep in mind the goal and the ability to achieve it, God has given all we need. We just have to get out of our own way, yet we know of only One who always did what was pleasing to the Father. John 8:29

Furthermore we have a corresponding scripture from 1 John 3.

16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Now nothing of this world need be feared, although this is easier said than done if we are honest with our selves. In this world we are to trust God, and if we are completely trusting Him there is nothing here that can instill fear in our hearts.

2 Kings 6:17 So he answered, "Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." Then Elisha prayed and said, "O LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see." And the LORD opened the servant's eyes and he saw; and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Here though I want to remind you we are not called to foolishness...

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6“If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“ ‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’c

7Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’d

To this...
2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.

If you read the surrounding context of this verse Paul's call to Timothy is for boldness in the proclamation and promotion of the gospel, presumably in the face of opposition. Paul affirms that although he is a prisoner because of his devotion to the gospel, he is not ashamed. He is encouraging Timothy while imprisoned to remain strong in the faith.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Fear of the Father is not dread. The word used never denotes that for the faithful.

It means respect.

Fear is the chief weapon of the enemy.

We need never fear with our King at our side.